• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 is quite the engineering marvel

SunSunich

I think assembly of Xbox One is much easier which leads to reduced cost. And RROD shouldn't happen, such a fan and so much space inside.

Ty4on

I'm a bit surprised the Xbone HDD mount uses actual cables for the power and SATA connection. Surely there's a surface mount, right-angle integrated solution for that by now for integrated systems so that the power tracing goes through the mobo directly to the connectors? Granted, I've never looked into it, so I could be off-base. That's just the first thing that stood out to me.

It's strange. The 360 also had regular SATA cables for the DVD drive.

The One has tons of empty space. Not only that corner, but also around the DVD drive and HDD drive. Have no idea why the HDD wouldn't fit around the DVD drive making the thing 30% smaller. It's also bizarre that MS seems to have a phobia against flat, radial fans.

I think assembly of Xbox One is much easier which leads to reduced cost. And RROD shouldn't happen, such a big vents and so much space inside.

Bigger box = more expensive. When you see a device needing a massive cooling solution, you don't think "that's cheap".

The ps4 apu die is smaller and less complex than the xbone apu which has 32mb esram on it that takes up a lot of space. Larger apu die = more heat and a larger heatsink is required to keep it cool. MS probably wanted to make sure they pro ide more cooling than is needed just in case so they dont have another rrod fiasco.

its pretty much that simple. Larger and more complex system vs the more simpler and smaller chip ps4.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Going from 3.2 Ghz down to 1.6 Ghz alone makes designing a console with less heat output a lot easier. I know clockspeed isn't the only factor, but it is a huge one.
They also doubled the number of cores with that change, from 4 to 8. Looking at the rear of the PS4 I'm doubtful that it'll have heat issues with that many vents.

drspeedy

I hope it doesn't have this problem. Though I won't be buying at launch anyway.

Though the Gamecube was pretty damn powerful and extremely tightly packed. And I dont recall it getting super hot/loud or failing

Nintendo Magic.

still a sexy little box, says I.

images

[EDIT]
bonus round: GB Micro naked:

They also doubled the number of cores with that change, from 4 to 8. Looking at the rear of the PS4 I'm doubtful that it'll have heat issues with that many vents.

Well the PS3's Cell was technically an 8 core processor that weren't really cores. Not sure how hot the SPUs made the Cell run though.

Kinyou

Foxconn making this things is a great new to me, because they manufacture really good pieces of hardware. I really hope PS4 won't suffer from heat on that tiny box.
Wasn't the Xbox 360 also manufactured by Foxconn? I don't think they have anything to do with durability of the hardware. They just stick the pieces together.

khaaan

I hope it doesn't have this problem. Though I won't be buying at launch anyway.

Though the Gamecube was pretty damn powerful and extremely tightly packed. And I dont recall it getting super hot/loud or failing.

Gamecube was/is fantastic in the way they packed it all together. I recently opened mine up and even the way it opens is really neat.

Ty4on

Edit: ^^^^^^^^ Handhelds put out more heat than the GameCube :p
The Dreamcast didn't even have any heatsinks, only a tiiiny fan.

Bigger box = more expensive. When you see a device needing a massive cooling solution, you don't think "that's cheap".

Big coolers and a simple design that is easy to put together that means it is cheap. Powerful laptops have pretty expensive cooling because of all the (more expensive) copper heat pipes and copper fins while bigger coolers use a lot more aluminium which is far cheaper.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well the PS3's Cell was technically an 8 core processor that weren't really cores. Not sure how hot the SPUs made the Cell run though.
Oh, didn't realize you we're talking about Cell. I thought you were referring to the fact that they were initially aiming for a quad core bulldozer but that wouldn't have been ready on time.

To me it seems like Sony and MS had two different design philosophies.

MS: How much heat will it produce? What's the easiest way to dissipate the heat? Right we got that down, what should the shell look like?

Sony: We want it to be as small as possible and sleek, here's some rough concept designs, go at it you fabulous engineers.

Big coolers and a simple design that is easy to put together that means it is cheap. Powerful laptops have pretty expensive cooling because of all the (more expensive) copper heat pipes and copper fins while bigger coolers use a lot more aluminium which is far cheaper.

You can see copper heat pipes on the Xbox One. Generally speaking, being able to use minimal cooling means the product is cheaper to make. It has less overhead for heat management. A smaller devices means it has less raw materials as well. Follow this logic.

You have a box, but it runs too hot. It is going to cost you more money to have to increase the size and ventillation and cooling than it would cost to have a similar designed box that doesn't run hot and doesn't need excessive cooling.

zeopower6

MS: How much heat will it produce? What's the easiest way to dissipate the heat? Right we got that down, what should the shell look like?

Sony: We want it to be as small as possible and sleek, here's some rough concept designs, go at it you fabulous engineers.

MS' was probably something more like "We want this to seamlessly integrate with our consumers media centers... let's make it look like a VCR!" tbh.

It's a netbook CPU?
Its a cpu made for the lower powered segment. It will be fine for consoles. 100+ gflops in cpu power is fine enough. Gpu compute will handle the intense stuff like physics and all that. Theres no cause to be alarmed. Its a console cpu. It doesnt need the generap overall power u would need on a typical desktop cpu.

You're assuming both the PS4 and Xbox One output the same amount of heat when under full load.

Sorral

I guess the Mac Pro must be engineering black fucking magic then.

Just making sure: Did you mean Mac Air?
Either way, this is from 2004:
sony_vaio_505.jpg

Vaio X505 with nickle carbon body (Was expensive though).
Not really that surprising with what other stuff Sony makes.

And that first post is such a derailment of the thread.

Edit: pointed out to be the new desktop Mac Pro.

jmls1121

Banned
if the thing avoids RROD issues and is relatively quiet, it will be up there with the GameCube in the "how did they pull that off at the price and that size" department.

Sony is a hardware company. They make cameras, TVs, phones, etc..... Its expected they should be able to have a better designed system.

Zeppelin

Like I've said in the 2-3 threads we've already had on the PS4 size; I can't imagine it being very quite. If it is, then I'll call it an "engineering marvel".

fizzgigg

Banned
A mid range 2012 GPU and a netbook CPU is an engineering marvel? Must be nice to be so easily impressed.

ehh I work for Tiger Direct which means I build people computers and
you're wrong the FX chips are high end desktop cpu's that have 8 cores
the GPU is not mid rage its a high end with 8 Gddr5 memory not one GPU at my store
has that sooo yep.

I'm really stoked to see the internals of the PS4 and how it compares to the Xbox because I believe Sony engineers used magic arranging the innards of the console.

I lived in Japan for a little while. Some of the stuff they made, for instance the cell phones of the time, were half the size of what Nokia and the other huge companies pushed out. It was ridiculus.

Top Bottom