• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 is quite the engineering marvel

Just making sure: Did you mean Mac Air?
Either way, this is from 2004:
sony_vaio_505.jpg

Vaio X505 with nickle carbon body (Was expensive though).
Not really that surprising with what other stuff Sony makes.

And that first post is such a derailment of the thread.

He means this:

Just making sure: Did you mean Mac Air?
Either way, this is from 2004:
sony_vaio_505.jpg

Vaio X505 with nickle carbon body (Was expensive though).
Not really that surprising with what other stuff Sony makes.

And that first post is such a derailment of the thread.

No, the Mac Pro looks like its from the future.

Edit: ↑↑↑↑↑↑

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Do we know how it compares to the 4 core version?also wouldn't the compute functions of the PS4's GPU free up much more CPU time?
Yeah, CPUs aren't going to be too important for next gen. Both consoles have dedicated audio hardware which frees but a lot of CPU time and at least the PS4 can offset a lot of functionality onto GPU compute. The CPU is merely sufficient for the tasks it needs to do while the GPU seems designed to help it out quite a bit.

Akira

The "top view" of the PS4 is deceiving because it's slanted. The footprint is smaller than what it shows in that view.

You're assuming both the PS4 and Xbox One output the same amount of heat when under full load.

Good point. I'm not sure about the heat output of eSRAM and DDR3 under full load compared to GDDR5, but from what I've been reading the ESRAM alone outputs a hefty amount alone.

But there is a lot of wasted space in the Xbone and most of it seems to be down to the size of the fan, surely using a more concentrated heat sink approach could have cut down on the wasted space? This is what I'm assuming Sony have done, in fact it seems like the only reasonable approach.

In my mind within the PS4 I see heatsinks attached to everything.

Permanently A

What the hell, where is the RAM tucked away? And the graphics card? I only see a disc drive, the CPU fan and the HDD. Jesus Christ Sony.

Good point. I'm not sure about the heat output of eSRAM and DDR3 under full load compared to GDDR5, but from what I've been reading the ESRAM alone outputs a hefty amount alone.

But there is a lot of wasted space in the Xbone and most of it seems to be down to the size of the fan, surely using a more concentrated heat sink approach could have cut down on the wasted space? This is what I'm assuming Sony have done, in fact it seems like the only reasonable approach.

There may also be more hardware inside the Xbox One designated for Kinect and HDMI input with DVRs. that may create a bigger board.

Kosma

Banned
A mid range 2012 GPU and a netbook CPU is an engineering marvel? Must be nice to be so easily impressed.

I challenge you to build an equally powered PC the same size, for the same price, that will still play the top selling shooter of 2018 with the same IQ as the PS4.

If you do, I will reimburse you the cost.

399 dollars worth of components including casing, OS etc. on the day of launch of the PS4.

Deal?

_Ryo_

I love everything about the design of the PS4. The angles, the gloss, the matte, the smoothness, the vents, everything.

But I've been wondering one thing, could there be some hidden design elements that we're unaware of, because every time I look at it, I can't help but imaging a hidden LED area on the console.

I've highlighted the area I'm talking about. What if that area could display the game you're playing, game update alerts, downloads, and other notifications? I hadn't read anything about it in the specs, so it's unlikely but I still can't help but think that it would be perfect.

ehh I work for Tiger Direct which means I build people computers and
you're wrong the FX chips are high end desktop cpu's that have 8 cores
the GPU is not mid rage its a high end with 8 Gddr5 memory not one GPU at my store
has that sooo yep.

Fx cpu jaguar is not.

Unless im mistaken. Jaguar was suppose to go into tablets or netbooks.

Parch

Just work. Don't heat the room and sound like a lawnmower.

It just gets plunked on a shelf so a half inch here or there makes no difference to me. If they're obsessed with making it small and the damn thing fails because of that, they really blew it.

Ty4on

You can see copper heat pipes on the Xbox One. Generally speaking, being able to use minimal cooling means the product is cheaper to make. It has less overhead for heat management. A smaller devices means it has less raw materials as well. Follow this logic.

You have a box, but it runs too hot. It is going to cost you more money to have to increase the size and ventillation and cooling than it would cost to have a similar designed box that doesn't run hot and doesn't need excessive cooling.

But the heat difference isn't very big. As far as I know ESRAM has a tiny heat output and PS4 has a bigger GPU. I don't think plastic and aluminium cost a lot more than making a cramped console and putting more expensive fans and heat pipes.

The One also just has two heatpipes and they're probably the cheapest ones out there. This is what keeps the 90W 15inch MacBook Retina cool (barely, it throttles a bit). The One is probably 100W.

Sethos

Banned
I mean, we're all enamoured with the PS4 but we should still pay some respects to the Xbox One design - It's still a neat, modern package.

13715001268042wog8.jpg

Interfectum

ITT: Some PC gamers who are going to be sorely disappointed when their 'superior than PS4' laptop can only run next-gen games on low settings.

But the heat difference isn't very big. As far as I know ESRAM has a tiny heat output and PS4 has a bigger GPU. I don't think plastic and aluminium cost a lot more than making a cramped console and putting more expensive fans and heat pipes.

The One also just has two heatpipes and they're probably the cheapest ones out there. This is what keeps the 90W 15inch MacBook Retina cool (barely, it throttles a bit). The One is probably 100W.

Every source, including CBOAT, has been saying the eSRAM is a huge heat issue for the Xbox One.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
From what I heard, the PS4 is 28 nm, while the Xbox One is 40 nm technology. That should help to make it more efficient.

Ty4on

A 125-135W (equivalent to a desktop enthusiast CPU) part being cooled in an enclosure that size is quite a feat. But please, troll on.

This laptop is 120W. Gaming PCs have overclocked CPUs with maybe 150W TDP and GPUs with 200-250W TDP for one.
Edit:
Every source, including CBOAT, has been saying the eSRAM is a huge heat issue for the Xbox One.
Yield issue. It's a lot of transistors.

I think there's vents on the side of the ps4. It's hard to notice due to the design but Sony engineers are fucking genius. I hope the hardware is quiet and reliable, other then that, it's absolutely perfect.

There may also be more hardware inside the Xbox One designated for Kinect and HDMI input with DVRs. that may create a bigger board.

Again you're probably right, but then we also have to take into account that the PS4 has extra chips for video streaming etc. The One may indeed output more heat, but I still think that this design is highly inefficient, if they put a bit more money into the functional design of the box and the cooling system and not the aesthetics then I think they could have come up with a more compact system. Maybe not quite as compact s the PS4, but an improvement on what they currently have.

I'm not an electronic engineers or a PC tech enthusiast (I'm a mechanical engineer) so I'm making a lot of assumption regarding the heat output of the obvious components and even more of an assumption on the less obvious parts you mentioned.

Zeppelin

Just to remind people of what Sony is capable of doing.

Die shrinks work for everybody.

The One may indeed output more heat, but I still think that this design is highly inefficient, if they put a bit more money into the functional design of the box and the cooling system and not the aesthetics then I think they could have come up with a more compact system.

To what end? I mean, as long as it's smaller than your average receiver most people are gonna be able to fit it under their TV anyway. I guess there might be some advantage to having a smaller system if you're gonna put a million or so of them on a ship from China, but for the average consumer..? I don't think most people give a fuck about the size of their consoles.

I have a powerful PC and am still excited for PS4, I think the systems will go together very well. No need for the dick size comparisons, of course the PC will win on paper, but the PS4 will still have crazy exclusives the PC will never see. And of course the godram. :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You know I have to admit...

... along the the Japanese Super Famicom, the PS2 Slim may be to me the best looking game console of all time.

PS4 still looks a bit weird with its italic font motif.

What a shocker to see some PC knob burst in here out of the gate trying to ruin the fun with pure misinformation.

Anyhow, love the look of this console - can't wait for launch.

This laptop is 120W. Gaming PCs have overclocked CPUs with maybe 150W TDP

Only enthusiast Clevos. They are 2.5" thick and have huge external 300W power bricks.

and GPUs with 200-250W TDP for one.

Only dual GPUs (780M and 8970M are both 100W), which are again, only found in enthusiast Clevos and the Alienware M18X. They are also 2" or greater, have huge external power bricks and cost 2000+. It's stupid to try and compare them.

Top Bottom