• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Neo presentation might have leaked

Gamers doesen't care about money when it comes to have the most powerful console in the forest ;) God, even kids and teenagers today buy $800 Dollar iPhones, if they want the most powerful console, than they get, and the price doesen't matter ;)

And you maybe saw all the bad press against the XBox One because the console was not able to output 60Fps and 1080p! To have the most powerful console on the market is more important today than 15 years ago, today no one wants the second most powerful console, especially not kids and teenagers ;) And you can bet on everything that Microsoft will make sure that they will never be on the second place again ;)

Gamers do care about price even if it's the most powerful console .
To think other wise is stupid .

wapplew

And those custom games will be made regardless, on both Xbox and PlayStation. Just like some PC games currently require a GTX 970. The question is how cross gen games available on PS4 and PS5 will be sold on PS5.

I think we are taking "forward compatible" with different meaning here.
I'm talk about forward compatible meaning all games have to be playable on both machine, absolutely no exclusive like PS4 and Neo.
Your forward compatible more like how to package cross gen game.

Shin-Ra

lol, dude this isn't even on the same plane as what was being discussed. You're grasping at straws. What you posted is clear PR speak, and what they are debating is whether or not a concrete number released by MS (6TF) is a straight up lie.
The Scorpio presentation was full of PR speak and wishy washy specs like an "8 core CPU"

Scorpio.gif

DirectX12power.gif

They just can't help themselves.

Caayn

The Scorpio presentation was full of PR speak and wishy washy specs like an "8 core CPU"
You expect non "washy specs" for a device that's more than a year out and the specs hasn't even been determined for yet?

wapplew

Gamers doesen't care about money when it comes to have the most powerful console in the forest ;) God, even kids and teenagers today buy $800 Dollar iPhones, if they want the most powerful console, than they get, and the price doesen't matter ;)

And you maybe saw all the bad press against the XBox One because the console was not able to output 60Fps and 1080p! To have the most powerful console on the market is more important today than 15 years ago, today no one wants the second most powerful console, especially not kids and teenagers ;) And you can bet on everything that Microsoft will make sure that they will never be on the second place again ;)

Enthusiast don't care about price, sure.
If all gamers want is most powerful hardware regardless of price, tell me why 970 is the best selling card? Not the most powerful Titan X or 980Ti.

duhmetree

What does this change? I thought we knew this already? Obviously we haven't seen slides until now.

This still lines up with Osiris' statements and doesn't change much. We have a floor. Playstation NEO (option 1) will be at the least 4.14TF (2.3x) with an OC Jaguar.

I'm still hoping for option 2, which is differentiated by a better CPU. I'd prefer a parallel in the GPU/CPU boosts. Both roughly 2-3x faster/more powerful.

If they haven't determined the specs, it's not very useful to anybody is it?
The entire Scorpio reveal was basically smoke and mirrors. It was nothing but numbers and a few brief snippets of an interview. Ps4 February meeting was much better. I can't believe some like Colin gave Ms points as if it was a job well done. Is was complete nonsense lol, and people were saying Sony didn't show anything at the February event but they basically explained the entire philosophy of the hardware and specs, Mark Cerny killed it.

Ms conference just seemed like a diversion to get people from buying into competitors hardware. "Soon, we're gonna have the most powerful console, wait for Xbox"

I still think it could fail fantastically. It's just about the games.

This will absolutely give the PS4 a boost this holiday, but I'm curious to see what next holiday looks like. The Scorpio as far as we know is going to be more powerful and that will appeal to a certain market. It is not what everyone looks for but it is definitely a selling point for some.

Shin-Ra

The entire Scorpio reveal was basically smoke and mirrors. It was nothing but numbers and a few brief snippets of an interview. Ps4 February meeting was much better. I can't believe some like Colin gave Ms points as if it was a job well done. Is was complete nonsense lol, and people were saying Sony didn't show anything at the February event but they basically explained the entire philosophy of the hardware and specs, Mark Cerny killed it.

Ms conference just seemed like a diversion to get people from buying into competitors hardware. "Soon, we're gonna have the most powerful console, wait for Xbox"

I still think it could fail fantastically. It's just about the games.
Todd Howard/Fallout 4's the last developer/game I'd choose to inspire confidence about the capability of a new machine too.

quest

Not Banned from OT
This will absolutely give the PS4 a boost this holiday, but I'm curious to see what next holiday looks like. The Scorpio as far as we know is going to be more powerful and that will appeal to a certain market. It is not what everyone looks for but it is definitely a selling point for some.

I think the boost this holiday will be from the OG PS4 price cut to 299.99 and bundles. Would not be surprised to see a 299.99 plus a 50 dollar gift card and game on BF.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I wonder if it'll make this year since it won't be at TGS?

Is PGW (that shinobi said a bit ago) still out of the question?

TGS would be odd to me, considering consoles are becoming niche in Japan compared to their peak in Gen 5/6. And also due to the fact they launched the PS4 in the West first due to this.

yurinka

Seems legit, and great news. Sounds good.

What does 'sunset' mean on the slide? It's shown at the end of window time frames.
Sunset is the later part of supporting a service. When they have almost nobody working on it because they know that the end is near and moved almost everyone to other projects.

So if you need to call them asking for something, better do it before that project goes into sunset.

wapplew

TGS would be odd to me, considering consoles are becoming niche in Japan compared to their peak in Gen 5/6. And also due to the fact they launched the PS4 in the West first due to this.

They announce first price cut at TGS, that event also aim for Asia market, pretty big market too.

yurinka

Amazon Spain shown a new PS4 399€ SKU coming October 13th. If we assume it's Neo release date:

• Gamescom (Aug 17-21), maybe too far of that Neo launch. I bet they'll focus on PSVR and PS4 European games here.
  • TGS (Sep 15-18), more focused in games targeted to Japan. They may announce it here.
  • Barcelona Games World (Oct 6-9), first edition of an event run by AEVI, a Spanish association of big publishers, that includes Sony. They did run Madrid Games Week in the past instead of that, but they only had minor local announcements there, but they said they want to give this event an international approach, something like Mobile World Congress. They may announce it here.
  • PGW (Oct 27/31) after Neo and PSVR launch, I think Sony may skip PGW and focus on PSX instead.

icespide

Banned
starting to think they won't even announce this thing at a stage event.

here's my prediction:

- PS4 Neo announced via press release/blog post with a fancy video in September and a list of first party games that will have Neo modes at launch
- Available in October
- $399, OG PS4 $299

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They announce first price cut at TGS, that event also aim for Asia market, pretty big market too.

So was he talking about a 'price cut' or the console announcement itself? I am now confused.

Amazon Spain shown a new PS4 399€ SKU coming October 13th. If we assume it's Neo, PGW (Oct 27/31) is after that launch.

Before this release date we have:

• TGS (Sep 15-18)
  • Barcelona Games World (Oct 6-9)), first edition of an event run by AEVI, a Spanish association of big publishers, that includes Sony. They did run Madrid Games Week in the past instead of that, but they only had minor local announcements there.

I mentioned in the other thread that it could also possibly be a console that includes the camera or camera/Move controllers combo, since it launches the same day as the PSVR which is only a camera-less sku in EU, correct?

Mindman

I've paid so much attention to the content of the slide that i forgot to read the titles.

Now i'm totally sure we are getting Neo this year.

Neo support for holiday 2016 titles does NOT mean the console is releasing this year. Just that titles releasing this fall will have to have a Neo mode for when it launches. It's coming in 2017 guys.

yurinka

I mentioned in the other thread that it could also possibly be a console that includes the camera or camera/Move controllers combo, since it launches the same day as the PSVR which is only a camera-less sku in EU, correct?
Maybe, but remember all PSVR games will be able to run with DS4.

It can also be another pack, like PS4 1TB+2 DS4 or something like that. But considering that the games released in October or later must suppot Neo mode, it makes me think it will be released in October.

Sure if you don't care about res, framerate , IQ , effects ,online count etc etc .
You can get most stuff to run on anything .
Depending on the tech in PS5 will tell how hard it going to be to port stuff down .
For eg we could be seeing HBM3 by the time PS5 comes out .
Well obviously you can downport almost anything if you strip everything else. But that's not what I'm talking about either.

Let me give you a clearer example. We have Rise of the Tomb Raider, that either mechanically or tech wise can stand up against a game made fully from the ground up for ps4, like uncharted, and still was downported gracefully for 360 whilst being intact gameplay wise.

And that's a 512mb and a 0.2tf device in 2015. Do you truly believe that 4 years from now xbone and ps4 will be so weak to the point they limit what a developer might want to do in a game like you guys are talking about?

flkraven

Scorpio.gif

DirectX12power.gif

They said 6TF and dude argued it was going to be 3TF. Then when someone responded to him saying it was crazy, you posted vague PR speak as a sort of rebuttal. I don't understand what you are trying to prove? Are you defending that dudes tinfoil hat idea? Do you think Microsoft will release a 4 core CPU, but call it 8 because of a technicality?

icespide

Banned
Well obviously you can downport almost anything if you strip everything else. But that's not what I'm talking about either.

Let me give you a clearer example. We have Rise of the Tomb Raider, that either mechanically or tech wise can stand up against a game made fully from the ground up for ps4, like uncharted, and still was downported gracefully for 360 whilst being intact gameplay wise.

And that's a 512mb and a 0.2tf device in 2015. Do you truly believe that 4 years from now xbone and ps4 will be so weak to the point they limit what a developer might want to do in a game like you guys are talking about?

the 360 version of ROTTR is even superior to the Xbox One version because it doesn't have the same terrible input lag

onQ123

So you're saying that Scorpio is actually a 3tflop console but they are lying and saying it's 6tflops because of some technicality that allows them to say it? Despite this however, they still can't release it for another year an half? Meanwhile, Neo will be more powerful, coming out a year early?

You're living in a fantasy world man.

The move to 14/16nm happened this year so next year isn't going to make much of a difference besides being able to clock your processors higher & so on but like I said if Xbox Scorpio has to keep the embedded ram for Xbox One compatibility & they are probably using even more embedded ram for 4K that wouldn't leave much room for a GPU with over 36 compute units in a console SoC.

Do you expect them to have a R9 480 clocked over 1.3Ghz in a SoC with embedded ram next year?

Maybe they have dropped embedded ram & will be able to use a 40 - 48 CU GPU in a console next year I don't know but that seem pretty power hungry for a mass market console

The way the Scorpio was presented, on stage at E3 with developers talking about it; this is a full 6TF GPU. Especially when considering the capability goal of VR and 4K which MS talked a lot about. I think the design of Scorpio will take very little design ideas from the Xbox One.

As you can see from the Neo slides PS4 games can be rendered in 4K with double the PS4 CUs clocked higher using the checkerboard technique. So why wouldn't Xbox One games be able to run in 4K with double the CUs clocked higher using the checkerboard technique?

I see what you did there, nice one but I dont think MS can afford it to lie to us again.

Did they lie? if they are using the half-precision numbers because Polaris does native half-precision floating point computation it's not a lie but it would be shady.

flkraven

The move to 14/16nm happened this year so next year isn't going to make much of a difference besides being able to clock your processors higher & so on but like I said if Xbox Scorpio has to keep the embedded ram for Xbox One compatibility & they are probably using even more embedded ram for 4K that wouldn't leave much room for a GPU with over 36 compute units in a console SoC.

Do you expect them to have a R9 480 clocked over 1.3Ghz in a SoC with embedded ram next year?

I expect them to release a 6TF console, exactly as they said in the video. And that's the same TF that we use in every other measurement, not some modified version the suits a conspiracy theory narrative.

Chobel

No, I don't mean a ps4 game running on ps5, I mean ps5 and ps4 being the same game, that you only need to buy once.

That's what ms is promising, and that's explicitly what Sony said it wouldn't do (though I bet they will).

You mean something like Xbox Anywhere? No way every publisher is gonna support it. Plus Sony can easily do it if somehow publishers demand it.

I also want you to explain this to me: how not doing forward compatibility (=Xbox Anywhere?) means you're starting from scratch? Offering BC alone solves that.

Wait what about OG PS4, will it go through some updates as well to support UHD BR and 4k upscaling?

Through software updates? No. But if you mean a slim or something like it? No idea, we heard no reliable rumors about a new redesign for PS4.

DESTROYA

I'm fine with the refresh as long as we get better performance at 1080P@60 FPS or close to it.
Can most people tell the difference between 1080P and 4K at the average distance (7-10 feet) most people sit at?
Maybe some but for most the difference is not that substantial, sure if your up close you can see the difference but most people just don't sit that close to a tv. Not to mention the majority of households have "only" 1080P HDTV's.
People bringing up the Scorpio "will blow away in performance" are right but that's a long while off .

starting to think they won't even announce this thing at a stage event.

here's my prediction:

- PS4 Neo announced via press release/blog post with a fancy video in September and a list of first party games that will have Neo modes at launch
- Available in October
- $399, OG PS4 $299

$399 would sell me a Neo.

yurinka

You mean something like Xbox Anywhere? No way every publisher is gonna support it. Plus Sony can easily do it if somehow publishers demand it.

I also want you to explain this to me: how not doing forward compatibility (=Xbox Anywhere?) means you're starting from scratch? Offering BC alone solves that.

Through software updates? No. But if you mean a slim or something like it? No idea, we heard no reliable rumors about a new redesign for PS4.
Xbox Anywhere is the Cross-Buy feature of the PlayStation systems.

And like them there is a different game SKU for each platform, in this case Xbox and Win10 store.

Maybe they have dropped embedded ram & will be able to use a 40 - 48 CU GPU in a console next year I don't know but that seem pretty power hungry for a mass market console

As you can see from the Neo slides PS4 games can be rendered in 4K with double the PS4 CUs clocked higher using the checkerboard technique. So why wouldn't Xbox One games be able to run in 4K with double the CUs clocked higher using the checkerboard technique?

Did they lie? if they are using the half-precision numbers because Polaris does native half-precision floating point computation it's not a lie but it would be shady.

This is starting to get off topic, but:
I don't think Scorpio will be using any embedded RAM. They will be able to achieve their bandwidth goal using a unified RAM solution - which will (likely) be cheaper as well as easier for developers. If MS's engineers can get Xbox 360 games working on an Xbox One, I don't think there will be an issue getting Xbox One games to work on Scorpio.

As flkraven said above, Scorpio will have a 6TF GPU (likely) using AMD gpu technology. So I expect them in some combination of CU and clockspeed to have a GPU in the APU that achieves 6TF or better - it doesn't have to line up with an existing AMD GPU, it's likely a custom part. In a previous post of mine, I looked at various combinations of CU and MHz, to get an idea of what we might expect in Scorpio.

In my opinion there is absolutely no chance of the quoted 6TF for Scorpio's gpu being based on half-precision numbers. I think the chance of that happening is completely unreasonable.

Top Bottom