• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Neo presentation might have leaked

otakukidd

You can want things, but games will be made for both PS4 and PS5 no matter what. It would be pretty bad for PS users if you have to buy them separately while all Xbox versions come in the same package.

Those games will be made with the PS4 in mind no matter how Sony decides to sell them. In fact, some developers won't target higher than PS4 specs for another decade or more, simply because they don't need it. Games that push hardware specs and production values to their limit is increasingly the minority.
Why would you have to buy them separately? A ps5 would be able to play all crossgen ps4 games. You won't have to buy games twice. Why do people keep saying that.

Alej

Banned
PSNeo games with "close to 4k" aka 1440p is gonna look better than Scorpio's games if microsoft is really keen on pushing "true 4k" out of 6Tf.

Interesting times ahead.

It's going to be higher than 1800p going by the slides, with somewhat inferior IQ compared to true 4K games, but with a vastly less performance cost.
Scorpio will do the same, partly because devs won't push for a different game at 4K.

If all this is legit and we have no idea yet if it is, it should be interesting to see what is going to happen with multiplatform games. Will they be nearly identical so in other words...parity between the systems or will they take advantage of that extra power?

Massa

Why would you have to buy them separately? A ps5 would be able to play all crossgen ps4 games. You won't have to buy games twice. Why do people keep saying that.

The scenario being brought up is whether Battlefield 2019 or whatever will have two different $60 versions on Playstation: one with PS4, PS4-Neo configurations, and another $60 product with a PS5 configuration. What people are hoping is that the PS4->PS5 transition is just as seamless as the PS4-Neo slides presented here, with the only difference being that exclusive games and features may happen on PS5.

otakukidd

The scenario being brought up is whether Battlefield 2019 or whatever will have two different $60 versions on Playstation: one with PS4, PS4-Neo configurations, and another $60 product with a PS5 configuration. What people are hoping is that the PS4->PS5 transition is just as seamless as the PS4-Neo, with the only difference being that exclusive games and features may happen on PS5.
Then you want a backwards compatible ps5. Plays all the ps4 games(probably in neo mode) and will have exclusive games. what's wrong with having a ps4 version and a ps5 version? The ps5 will still play the PS4 version. The only thing I can think of is that you can't go backwards with your games ie ps5 games on the ps4.

wapplew

The scenario being brought up is whether Battlefield 2019 or whatever will have two different $60 versions on Playstation: one with PS4, PS4-Neo configurations, and another $60 product with a PS5 configuration. What people are hoping is that the PS4->PS5 transition is just as seamless as the PS4-Neo slides presented here, with the only difference being that exclusive games and features may happen on PS5.

I'll take that over no PS5 exclusive.
You enjoy your Halo 7, Forza 8, Gears 6 make for Scorpio2/Scorpio/Xbox one, I enjoy my next ND/SSM/Japan studio PS5 exclusive.

Came in here expecting to discuss NEO... instead it seems like all anyone wants to talk about is PS5... Wow... talk about putting the cart well before the horse.

leeh

PSNeo games with "close to 4k" aka 1440p is gonna look better than Scorpio's games if microsoft is really keen on pushing "true 4k" out of 6Tf.

Interesting times ahead.
They've said many times that its up to the devs.

Massa

Then you want a backwards compatible ps5. Plays all the ps4 games(probably in neo mode) and will have exclusive games. what's wrong with having a ps4 version and a ps5 version? The ps5 will still play the PS4 version. The only thing I can think of is that you can't go backwards with your games ie ps5 games on the ps4.

Seems obvious to me that having PS4, PS4+, PS5 versions of multiplatform games on a disc is better than having two discs, one with PS4 and PS4+, and one for PS5. One obvious benefit is that you can enjoy an improvement on a lot of your gaming library when you buy a new system without having to hope for, and then buy, a remastered version. The benefits are so obvious, and it's something that Sony is finally implementing on Playstation thanks to the Neo, that it seems irrational to me that anyone wouldn't want that same benefit in the future. What's more, to defend a company not implementing that in face of their direct competitor doing it, would be complete madness.

I'll take that over no PS5 exclusive.
You enjoy your Halo 7, Forza 8, Gears 6 make for Scorpio2/Scorpio/Xbox one, I enjoy my next ND/SSM/Japan studio PS5 exclusive.

Oh my, nobody's talking about exclusives.

Interesting times ahead.

closedoor.gif

otakukidd

Seems obvious to me that having PS4, PS4+, PS5 versions of multiplatform games on a disc is better than having two discs, one with PS4 and PS4+, and one for PS5. One obvious benefit is that you can enjoy an improvement on a lot of your gaming library when you buy a new system without having to hope for, and then buy, a remastered version. The benefits are so obvious, and it's something that Sony is finally implementing on Playstation thanks to the Neo, that it seems irrational to me that anyone wouldn't want that same benefit in the future. What's more, to defend a company not implementing that in face of their direct competitor doing it, would be complete madness.

But if it's forward compatible then there won't be exclusives on it at all. No game will use the power of it to its fullest extent . The reason there won't be exclusives for it will be cause no publisher in the right mind would release a ps5 game that doesn't work because with ps4 cause there will be over 80 million ps4s by then and the cost to port between ps4 and ps5 should probably be around the same as the ps4 to the neo.

gtj1092

Wow, so much passive aggressive salt

Where was the salt. Do people just say "salty" to deflect any dissenting opinion?

I agree with him that when Ps5 and X1-2 launch I want exclusive games designed with the new hardware in mind. Since when did GAF start loving cross-gen games?

wapplew

Forward compatible on old machine means you can't make exclusive on new machine, of corse we are talking about exclusive.
I don't get it, people who want a Neo or want Scorpio over Neo more or less a graphic whore, as I am.
Why would a graphic whore want every game shackle by old machine? Don't we want dev to make use of all the power from our new and shiny?
Do you really want Neo/Scorpio forward compatible with whatever come next?

it better be the same game, it would be stupid to consumers to have 2 different versions. especially if people upgrade later.
Well, that's exactly how it goes today.

Me buying uncharted 4 and then playing it on the ps5 would mean I only bought it once. Why we would you want the ps5 to be shackled to a device that came out in 2013. Only thing I could see them doing is when the ps5 comes out that ps4 games released near it would be required to have a neo+ mode where ps4 games would look even better on the ps5 than neo.

No, what I want is for instance in MGSV, Rise of Tomb Raider, FH2, TItanfall, AC4 Black Flag, Destiny, Watch Dogs. and many other high profile cross gen games to get me a native Ps5 version, and not just running in BC.

And I don't want Ps5 to be forever tied to Ps4, I want every game to be tied to me, and eventually said games won't work on old devices, but there are always more on the horizon.

In the specific case of Scorpio, Yeah, xbone may be severely underpowered in 2021, but scorpio won't, so when Xbone 2 arrives I want to my scorpio to be still capable of running the same games, at least for a while, so I can upgrade at my own pace and when I do I know I'll be able to play all my games better than Scorpio did.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm just at the point where if it is coming out in Oct just sell me on the fucking thing already Sony.

We all knew it existed, and you confirmed it.

So just let the Cat out of the bag already. We're like 10 weeks roughly from Oct anyways.

Forward compatible on old machine means you can't make exclusive on new machine, of corse we are talking about exclusive.
I don't get it, people who want a Neo or want Scorpio over Neo more or less a graphic whore, as I am.
Why would a graphic whore want every game shackle by old machine? Don't we want dev to make use of all the power from our new and shiny?

Every single game on Ps4 and Xbone, every single one, is capable of running on way more underpowered devices than they. Some even run on tablets using an integrated intel gpu.

The same will hold true for Ps5 and Xbone 2, xbone and ps4 will be supported until they absolutely can't run the games, then they will be dropped. And when they are being supported they still won't be holding anything back, because there will be weaker hardware than then that has to be supported too.

flkraven

What gains will I receive?

The same gains someone gets when they buy a slightly better video card. Probably better frame rates, maybe higher resolution, and maybe better post processing (AA, etc). There's probably more specific stuff they can do too (improved lighting for example).

onQ123

What are you trying to say exactly??

I'm saying that Xbox Scorpio could be just like what the Neo is to the PS4 a APU with 2X the CUs with a higher clock speed & because Polaris is capable of half-precision computation Microsoft was able to say that it is 6tflops because

24 compute units clocked at 1Ghz would be 3tflops single-precision & 6tflops half-precision.

Polaris support native half-precision floating point calculations & because of that Sony could say that PS4 Neo is 8.4tflops because it would be true if they are using Polaris. .

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Tatsumi Oga said:
Will they be nearly identical so in other words...parity between the systems or will they take advantage of that extra power?
They are already nearly identical right now, even when you add PC into the mix.
But market has shown that it's very willing to compensate for diminishing returns by obsessing over smaller and smaller details - we get more detailed coverage of the game differences now than we had at any point in history - and I expect that trend to continue.

LukasTaves said:
xbone may be severely underpowered in 2021, but scorpio won't
Scorpio most likely being a proper UWP device - I'd expect you'll have at least one more iteration of it well before 2021, but possibly more, depending on how market develops.

flkraven

I'm saying that Xbox Scorpio could be just like what the Neo is to the PS4 a APU with 2X the CUs with a higher clock speed & because Polaris is capable of half-precision computation Microsoft was able to say that it is 6tflops because

24 compute units clocked at 1Ghz would be 3tflops single-precision & 6tflops half-precision.

Polaris support native half-precision floating point calculations & because of that Sony could say that PS4 Neo is 8.4tflops because it would be true if they are using Polaris. .

So you're saying that Scorpio is actually a 3tflop console but they are lying and saying it's 6tflops because of some technicality that allows them to say it? Despite this however, they still can't release it for another year an half? Meanwhile, Neo will be more powerful, coming out a year early?

You're living in a fantasy world man.

leeh

If you even think this is a possibility, then I want what you're having.

The way the Scorpio was presented, on stage at E3 with developers talking about it; this is a full 6TF GPU. Especially when considering the capability goal of VR and 4K which MS talked a lot about. I think the design of Scorpio will take very little design ideas from the Xbox One.

onQ123

Interesting times ahead.

They said 1440p games on 4K TVs didn't look much different from 1080P games on 1080P TVs so they would rather devs make 4K games using cheap rendering techniques like checkerboard rendering.

So you think Scorpio is actually underpowered compared to neo?

wapplew

Every single game on Ps4 and Xbone, every single one, is capable of running on way more underpowered devices than they. Some even run on tablets using an integrated intel gpu.

The same will hold true for Ps5 and Xbone 2, xbone and ps4 will be supported until they absolutely can't run the games, then they will be dropped. And when they are being supported they still won't be holding anything back, because there will be weaker hardware than then that has to be supported too.

So, when do we say they absolutely can't run games on PS4/Xbox one?
What will be the PR line? Neo/Scorpio will be forward competible until they can't? For the first 2 years? Partly forward compatible?

Also, I'm not so sure about not holding back, I can see the different between current gen games and a cross gen games. I see graphic improvement when some games drop old gen support. Anyway, I still prefer having my exclusive the day new gen console launch, not 2 years later.

Being a multi console owner for the last 3 gens has made me forget that Console wars are still a thing.

Neogaf continues to remind me though....Keep fighting the good fight soldier.

Sure if you don't care about res, framerate , IQ , effects ,online count etc etc .
You can get most stuff to run on anything .
Depending on the tech in PS5 will tell how hard it going to be to port stuff down .
For eg we could be seeing HBM3 by the time PS5 comes out .

Massa

But if it's forward compatible then there won't be exclusives on it at all. No game will use the power of it to its fullest extent . The reason there won't be exclusives for it will be cause no publisher in the right mind would release a ps5 game that doesn't work because with ps4 cause there will be over 80 million ps4s by then and the cost to port between ps4 and ps5 should probably be around the same as the ps4 to the neo.

Publishers support of a platform like the PS4 will have to do with how many active people are on it. It doesn't matter what the total sell through number is, or how the game executable are packaged and sold. Though it would most certainly benefit them if Sony makes the transition as seamless as possible, especially now that service games are a norm.

Graphics whore need not to worry as graphics are easily scalable.

Massa

Again, no offense, I take custom-make exclusive over scalable graphic.

And those custom games will be made regardless, on both Xbox and PlayStation. Just like some PC games currently require a GTX 970. The question is how cross gen games available on PS4 and PS5 will be sold on PS5.

TH-Work

Banned
If Scorpio is significantly more expensive than Neo though (it's bound to be), then that adds a different dimension to your argument. Also Xbox was clearly more powerful than PS2, but PS2 reigned supreme due to its existing momentum - PS4 is in a similar position.

Gamers doesen't care about money when it comes to have the most powerful console in the forest ;) God, even kids and teenagers today buy $800 Dollar iPhones, if they want the most powerful console, than they get, and the price doesen't matter ;)

And you maybe saw all the bad press against the XBox One because the console was not able to output 60Fps and 1080p! To have the most powerful console on the market is more important today than 15 years ago, today no one wants the second most powerful console, especially not kids and teenagers ;) And you can bet on everything that Microsoft will make sure that they will never be on the second place again ;)

What does 'sunset' mean on the slide? It's shown at the end of window time frames.

And I am not an engineer, but couldn't the bump in CPU/GPU be turned a little bit higher? Is heat that much of a problem?

Top Bottom