• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Neo presentation might have leaked

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So it won't support games released before october 2016 out the box? If so the neo is dead to me.

How did you come to this conclusion?

Just give me a good chunk of change for my PS4 somehow and I'm there, Sony!

Gamestop and the like will almost certainly have a trade-in program, the Xbox One S deals right now will be a decent yardstick to use.

How is the math done to determine the new amount of TFLOPS?. If it is just done by doing something like 1.84 x 2.3, then that would equal 4.232

Dennis

Banned
0bcKYWz.png

"learnings"?

I think you meant "findings".

RX 480 is not power or temperature efficient at all.

Huh? Temps are bad on the reference cards because the stock cooler is bottom of barrel trash. Even the cooler on the launch PS4 is much better.

And there's nothing wrong with power efficiency after the latest drivers. It's not on par with Pascal, but it's not bad either. A lot of people have reported good results with undervolting as well. A 1085MHz Neo could come in with a total system power less than the launch PS4.

So it won't support games released before october 2016 out the box? If so the neo is dead to me.

Yes the Neo will play all PS4 games, just games pre Sept/Oct will run the same on PS4/Neo.

Do you really think Sony would release a console they are saying is part of the PS4 family that does not play all PS4 games.

Elios83

Just under 4tflops.

Probably should get this out in the fall to get one holiday under its belt.

No it's 4.2 Teraflops. It's double the CUs but at a higher clock as well. 2.3 times the PS4 flops, 1.84*2.3= 4.23 Teraflops

It's the same specs we already know. This is probably the doc which eurogamer and giantbomb based their report on a few months ago.

The interesting points that weren't leaked are:

*Neo submissions begin in mid August.
*Late September titles like FFXV are required to have a day one Neo patch.
*October onwards Neo support is mandatory.
*Neo will output at 4K resolution when a UHD TV is detected.
*They are suggesting to use more advanced rendering tecniques like checkboard rendering to get as close as possible to 4K native resolution but they will support upscaling to 4K from different lower resolutions.
*They don't believe that 1440p creates enough differentiation with full HD in terms of quality.

Zil33184

Just under 4tflops.

Probably should get this out in the fall to get one holiday under its belt.

Typo? Specs state just under 4.2 tflops.

Modest specs make sense given that this is supposed to be a one-off refresh of the PS4 designed with 4K and VR in mind. Scorpio is MS essentially trying to reboot a console generation and introduce regular upgrades. We'll see if the market takes to this model, but personally I'm not a fan of the compatibility issues that will arise from a more complex product matrix.

Footos22

If this is true isn't the Scorpio like much much stronger? Looks pretty legit as well I must say.

This was known ages ago. Fact of the matter is the difference will still be Tiny between the 2 as they still have to work on standard ps4 and xbox ones. But the fanboy fire will be stoked.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
I'm not getting the 4K craze. Neo will surely struggle rendering its ps4 content at 4K, checkered rendering non-withstanding.

WadeitOut

Isn't this just the likely source of all of the original leaks we had? I don't see anything special in this that we didn't already know. Even the timeline stuff is what was known but not confirmed.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
neo mode is required but there aren't requirements on what the neo mode actually does. dev could either do a lot or not much

The NEO mode has to render games at 1080p or above. And the FPS has to be at the same level or above.

Tryxx

This was known ages ago. Fact of the matter is the difference will still be Tiny between the 2 as they still have to work on standard ps4 and xbox ones. But the fanboy fire will be stoked.

Wouldn't the Xbox Scorpio be extremely easy to use all of its power since the x1 is practically a PC? I don't see how it would be hard for devs to produce 2 different versions.

Sony used to be quite good at making decisions and listening to gamers past 3 years, what the fuck happened recently ?

Now, a little early to make that call, as its success will heavily depend on the price tag. For $399, this is going to fly of the shelves, for $499, not so much.

From what I read, this is much slower than Scorpio, but it will also be much cheaper. Together with the supreme games library, the later one will have a hard time if MS doesn't subsidize it.

What does this mean for us wanting the power to be used for 1080p rendering?

4K needs a ton of power for all those pixels. I hate the thought of having deva use the power to render at a higher resolution then scale to 1080 based on detecting a 1080 screen.

It's basically like getting stronger consoles just to do 4K resolution but the graphica stay pretty much the same. :(

Fredrik

My dude says they already have the QA consoles in house. This and think manufacturing contracts and I'd be amazed if this was even possible.
Okay but seriously, what does your heart tell you? Do you honestly think that Sony will let MS win this upgrade battle? They'll probably be super sneaky about it and not talk about it until it's too late for MS to fix anything, and they'll definitely delay it if they have to, personally I'm pretty quite sure that Neo will beat Scorpio in some or all ways.

icespide

Banned
What does this mean for us wanting the power to be used for 1080p rendering?

4K needs a ton of power for all those pixels. I hate the thought of having deva use the power to render at a higher resolution then scale to 1080 based on detecting a 1080 screen.

It's basically like getting stronger consoles just to do 4K resolution but the graphica stay pretty much the same. :(

it's anyone's guess at this point. I wouldn't be shocked if the main point of Neo is to get the same fidelity of graphics at 4k-ish but the improvements to 1080p aren't huge

it could really go either way though, devs could collectively just say fuck it and make awesome looking shit at 1080p

Tryxx

Is it pretty safe to say this isn't going to be running AAA titles at 4K with these specs it literally almost pin points that this is strictly for people that want the better psvr experience.

icespide

Banned
Okay but seriously, what does your heart tell you? Do you honestly think that Sony will let MS win this upgrade battle? They'll probably be super sneaky about it and not talk about it until it's too late for MS to fix anything, and they'll definitely delay it if they have to, personally I'm pretty quite sure that Neo will beat Scorpio in some or all ways.

nah, the power battle is not that important

onQ123

It's onQ123, he's long since been obsessed with the idea that the Neo will "uprender" games to 4K. I don't understand his posts as I don't see anything in the presentation that points to anything else than upscaling or native rendering.

4d66PAA.png

MilkyJoe

You are living in a dream world, chum.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Question do you consider Rainbow Six Siege to uprender to 1080p?
Checkered rendering == half the fb resolution per frame. As simple as that.

farisr

15 is September... :p
Late September, aka the disc that ships may or may not have a Neo mode, but if no Neo mode on disc, then there will be one via a Day 1 Neo patch.

Games from October onwards will need a Neo mode in the version of the game that goes gold (as in before any patches)

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yes. Specs are weak and outdated. I hope they're re-evaluating their position after Scorpio's potential dominance.

Scorpio isn't going to dominate anything in general because it is also locked to XB1's development platform according to MS.

And then we get into sales, where MS having the power advantage generally means little to their success without games and the user support base to support it anymore than right now.

Sony don't have to care about waging a power war over iterative units, and according to Andrew house, they aren't planning to, which is good news to me.

As long as PS5 comes out nice and beefy, this NEO unit can pretty much jump off a building in my mind, i'll act as if it doesn't exist. What we're heard about so far is a decent jump for an iterative console and likely will cost 399, which is a good deal IMO for those interested, but its not necessary at all to enjoy what PS4 has to offer. Its a PS4 refresh with higher power because the SLIM business model doesn't save Sony money anymore.

Top Bottom