• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 passes 60.4 million units sold through to consumers / 487 million software units

Apt101

What. How can you look at this numbers and say that? Unless you think the PS5 will be released next year, and even so. The console is still up YoY, it's not even winding down.

Did you not comprehend what I wrote? I don't understand your reaction.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
So this is what, year 3.5? I wonder where they'll end up as the generation winds down. I think it's safe to say it will end up beyond both the 360 and PS3 (not combined).

If PS4 stays on track it'll outsell both of those before Christmas 2018. The bold claim would be 100m before PS5.

Sad, not deserved, they should be catching the heat for blocking crossplay with other consoles.

Or they deserve the success for delivering a consistently fantastic games console for years now...

One shit decision doesn't undo the mountain of good they've done. You've got cross-play on one hand, and then Horizon, Uncharted, God of War, and the rest on the other.

notaskwid

Did you not comprehend what I wrote? I don't understand your reaction.
You said the PS4 will sell less than both the PS3 and 360 that sold 85M~ lifetime. The sales would have to crater for that to happen and there is no sign of that happening at all (again, it's up YoY).
Even if it sells half what they'll sell this year in 2018 it'll surpass both the PS3 and 360.

silva1991

tRInc63.gif

Lmao.

Apt101

You said the PS4 will sell less than both the PS3 and 360 that sold 85M~ lifetime. The sales would have to crater for that to happen and there is no sign of that happening at all (again, it's up YoY).
Even if it sells half what they'll sell this year in 2018 it'll surpass both the PS3 and 360.

No I didn't. I said it's safe to say it will outsell both of them, but not combined (unless you truly think it's safe to say it will sale about 170 million units in its lifetime in which case lulz).

notaskwid

No I didn't. I said it's safe to say it will outsell both of them, but not combined (unless you truly think it's safe to say it will sale about 170 million units in its lifetime in which case lulz).
Ah eh. Disregard, I've misread beyond for behind, I'm sorry.

Aceofspades

Banned
Holy shit. Can someone calculate how high a stack of 60 million ps4's would be?

So I guess the PlayStation is basically propping the rest of Sony up? Haven't other hardware sales like tv's and shit been down since everyone went out and bought an HD TV?

Next year Sony is expecting the highest profits in 20 years. I think most devisions are doing great except movies.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The lineup of PS4 exclusives in the first four months of this year alone were amazing.

Well deserved. Just hope they don't get too cocky again. Seems to be a cycle with all these companies when someone is the market leader.
I can't imagine them becoming too cocky with Layden and Shu at helm but only if they exchange the leadership. You know, just like what happen at MS when Moore left and Mattrick came.

Apt101

I don't want to derail the thread, but Sony Pictures (or whatever their media arm is officially named) has a ton of subdivisions and holdings in TV. There's a lot of good stuff out there from them, it's just their headlining films group appears to be run by people who aren't that good at their job.

I had to read that twice, I thought it said they had sold 487.8 Million copies of Horizon for a minute. I was like holy shit, sales suddenly shot up lol

Congrats to Sony though for the 60 million sold though.

These 71m for PS2 are sold or production shipment?

If the second then PS4 is probably over 64 million already... it will be over 78m at the end of year using production shipment but Sony didn't share that number anymore.

PS4 estimates for end of 2017:

Sold: ~73m
Shipped: ~76m
Production shipment: ~78m

just checked again, PS2 was at 71.3M shipped at end of FY04. so from launch to here that's 4 years as March 00 to March 04.

Sony announced PS4 had shipped 60M at end of FY17. so from launch to here that's about 3.5 years given it was November 13 to March 17.

now when it comes to sell through, i can't find sell through, but ps2's were flying off the shelves so we can assume they were around that 71 mark.

as for the PS4 it took them another 2 months to sell through their 60M, but now they have a price cut as well as the upcoming summer & holiday seasons.

This always strikes me as funny...then I realize we're fanatics...and that I have way more than that on my PS4 despite it being my "exclusives" machine. I think I'm nearing 300 games on my X1.

yeah. but i doubt you have 300 payed games on X1
- games with gold
- f2p titel
- demos / free trials and ea access

still the vast majority of console owner just buys 3 to 5 games lifetime
and many even just 1 or 2

RocknRola

People said the same about Angry Birds movie which grossed $350 million

Fair enough. Though, my answer was more in the sense that out of all the movies Sony has/doesn't have to show us, I doubt that'll be the one that saves them (the films division) :p

pager99

Do you mean when PS2 hardware was at 60 million units? Because LTD software sales for PS2 are 1.5 billion or so.

Yea, PS4 attachment rate I believe is the highest ever on console. PS4 probably not going to touch PS2 total sales, PS2 had no real competition. But GTA 6 on PS4 definitely can give PS2 San Andreas a run for its money, even when they leak some percentage of the sales to Xbox. Sony first party is selling lots more also this gen.

The momentum has always been apparent on GAF, but I never thought they could keep this pace up for so long and that the PS2 would jet off into infinity on the charts. Apparently not. Software number is ridiculous, too.

Their strategy has been interesting. Throw out a lot of first-party variety in Q1-2 from their established studios and go heavy on marketing deals for the big annual games in Q3-4. The later sells far more consoles but you need the former to keep background hype and recurring players happy. Microsoft has been launching its top stuff in the holiday window and its momentum through the first 9 months of the year is that of an asthmatic cat. 2017 has been extra extreme in this regard where there were a half dozen GOTY candidates through Feb-Mar that were all PS console exclusive-- The only exception being Zelda. Gran Turismo 6 was sent out to die at the end of last gen, but they've learned their lesson on when to better release things since then. GT Sport needs to be huge or Naughty Dog will take up the title as their flagship studio. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Awaiting GT Sport being delayed into the holidays so it can prove all my even somewhat intelligent observations wrong. In fact I'll just bookmark this post myself.

Interested to see how the X1X shuffles the situation but I can't imagine any substantial shifts and it's going to be hard for Microsoft to improve from the 1:2 sales ratio. For now the Switch is still "different" enough and new enough that I don't know if it changes this situation in a way that would, say, fork holiday sales numbers.

WetWaffle

Worth noting this pace is actually the fastest the PS4 has ever sold in the first half of the year.
I'd like to think that that PS4 achieved this more because of their exclusives rather than third parties
Gravity Rush 2
Yakuza 0
Nioh
Horizon
Nier:A(PC release but still)
Persona 5
It's like, seperated they're insignificant, nothing but a blip on the radar, but together this shit is like
giphy.gif

ethomaz

Banned
just checked again, PS2 was at 71.3M shipped at end of FY04. so from launch to here that's 4 years as March 00 to March 04.

Sony announced PS4 had shipped 60M at end of FY17. so from launch to here that's about 3.5 years given it was November 13 to March 17.

now when it comes to sell through, i can't find sell through, but ps2's were flying off the shelves so we can assume they were around that 71 mark.

as for the PS4 it took them another 2 months to sell through their 60M, but now they have a price cut as well as the upcoming summer & holiday seasons.
PS2 shipment was production shipment... it what Sony had produced and not what they shipped to retail.

The actual shipment was about 1-2 million lower than production shipment of PS2... Sony changed to shipment in 2006 and PS2 lost about 2 million in the LT count.

71.3m "shipment" for PS2 is more like around 69m shipped to retail... around 67m sold.

PS4 will probably continue outselling PS2 until the 5th or 6th year.

Cess007

Their strategy now is exclusives on the first half of the year, then let 3rd parties fight in the 2nd half where people would actually buy more 3rd party games than exclusives.

And I really, really like this strategy. Now I've a steady flow of software all year :)

Aters

1:8 ratio is pretty impressive. People are buying a lot of games I see. I identify myself as hardcore gamer yet I only own about 20 games on my PS4.

Top Bottom