• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro patches won't cost users money, like duh

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

Very good. Sony can't repeat the mistakes of the PC gaming market. It is an economic catastrophe for game companies every time we upgrade our PCs and enjoy the games we own without paying a fair share to developers.

For a second i thought you were serious, lol.

Shin

Banned
Kotaku's translation is much better than the alternative one in the OP. There is no ambiguity. He says that whether the upgrade patches are free will vary by title regardless of it being third party or first party. In other words he is not committing to an answer because some patches may not be free.

And no, this is not about publishers paying, it is about consumers.

This is what I thought, but people are quick to jump to conclusions.

So... devs may or may not charge to patch game to enable 4k/HDR in old games (pre PS4 pro) . I don't see a problem here.

I do see a problem there. You already bought the better hardware for a 100 bucks more and then you need to buy Pro patches to even see a difference ? There is a problem, if that is really the case here.

UrbanRats

This is 100% about consumers paying for an optional upgrade patch. Otherwise he will not say that it will vary by title even for SIE titles. Who would they be paying?????

Maybe it's an old Microsoft style system to increase competitiveness inside the company!

Alright, yeah, I read through it again after seeing Duckroll's post, and the last part does imply that there's the potential as I said earlier, that depending on the third-party or part of SIE, there could be a fee for us if they make it.

So, some will be free, and there will also be some that could be paid depending on who the dev/company is. Not all will be paid, but not all will be free is what seems to be implied.

Sorry about that...

OCD Guy

This is 100% about consumers paying for an optional upgrade patch. Otherwise he will not say that it will vary by title even for SIE titles. Who would they be paying?????

Exactly.

It wouldn't make sense for the interviewer to ask whether Sony have to pay a fee to produce a patch lol.

But it would make sense to ask whether Sony published games would also charge a fee for consumers to receive a "Pro update" or patch

duckroll

I do see a problem there. You already bought the better hardware for a 100 bucks more and then you need to buy Pro patches to even see a difference ? There is a problem, if that is really the case here.

There is definitely a problem for consumers, but Sony is leaving the option of greed open because they are a profit driven corporation working with other profit driven corporations.

This paying for a patch only applies to older games right?
I mean that's lame but if it's only for old games I can't be too bothered.

Unless you gotta pay for 4k patches in new games after November launch of the Pro?

Oni Jazar

Is this article going to be Sony's "No Used Games" moment even if it never happens?

"Hey I heard the PS4 pro charges for patches. f-that."

That was what I was asking too but people kept saying this was referring to developer fees, it didn't make sense when you see the context was him asking about SIE published games.

GHG

Have Sony switched places with Microsoft in the last few weeks? It sure feels like it.

This is preposterous.

TrackZ

I'm ok with this if it's like $1.99 or so.

I'd like to see every game updated to take advantage of the new power and HDR for both PS4P and Scorpio. But it does take dev time and QA. If some income helps get those upgrades done, I'll pay versus not getting them at all.

That would be for older games though. New and recent releases should get this by default.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Everything about the PS4 is a fucking disaster.

Don't understand how Sony could fuck it up this bad.

I think you're being a little hyperbolic. Like maybe a touch.

Anyway, if we want to look at precedent, DLC in legacy games has rolled in support for new hardware in the past. Like the 'Move pack' for LittleBigPlanet on PS3. However, on the flip side, most supporting legacy games that weren't adding specific new content patched in support for free e.g. like Portal.

I think it would be hard for a publisher to justify a resolution bump as DLC rather than as a free patch. In the LBP 'move pack' case, there was actually new content, new gameplay modes etc. Pro mode can't introduce new features outside of graphical modes. I'm not sure if there's precedent elsewhere for someone charging for purely visual or resolution changes.

I guess this guy is saying that Sony cannot technically stop someone from trying. In reality I think few if any will try. Especially when it's not something new titles can do with Pro Modes going forward.

Jumeira

Banned
Kotaku's translation is much better than the alternative one in the OP. There is no ambiguity. He says that whether the upgrade patches are free will vary by title regardless of it being third party or first party. In other words he is not committing to an answer because some patches may not be free.

Jesus Christ

There is definitely a problem for consumers, but Sony is leaving the option of greed open because they are a profit driven corporation working with other profit driven corporations.

That is true, but if it backfires, it is not worth the profite. They're, like every company on the eart, testing how far they can go. And I really hope they drop this before release, just like MS did with a lot of stuff around the XB1 launch.

g11

Did you read the first page?

Some devs will patch the game for free, and others will be paid by Sony to patch.

At the time the consensus was saying "free for consumer, expense to be paid by developers/publishers" and thus you have my comments. An alternative translation that changes that to "some developers will patch on their own, some we'll pay to patch their games" obviously changes things, although I'm skeptical. If that is indeed the case, that's fine but it'll depend on who they can entice back to patch their games and what if anything it'll cost consumers. If it's a bunch of pixel art indies to get their games to run at 4K, thanks but no thanks.

xion4360

Thats simply unacceptable to leave out there as a question. Im going to stick with my thought that this is not being understood properly or that the guy was misunderstood. Sony should be asked this again directly and if the answer is anything but a clear no then we have a real messaging problem here.

duckroll

That is true, but if it backfires, it is not worth the profite. They're, like every company on the eart, testing how far they can go. And I really hope they drop this before release, just like MS did with a lot of stuff around the XB1 launch.

Absolutely. Which is why it is some guy who doesn't make these decisions saying it in a Japanese interview, and if it backfires, it can easily be clarified by a senior executive or customer facing spokesperson as they rework their internal policies in reaction. Aka business as usual. :)

Fishlake

I just don't know what to say about this. Now resolution is essentially paid DLC. I really can't believe they chose this path.

Jotaka

Why? You paid for the software to run in a PS4. and it runs. And it will run on a PS4 pro as well. It won't have the enhancement that is possible in the pro because it wasn't coded in the software. So if it required for the devs to revisit old code and write who knows how much more new code, new assets etc to make it better (4k upscale/HDR) asking for a fee is ok on my book.

I write code for a living. Why in the hell do you want me to spend how much more time in a old game that works fine for free?

Vashetti

Banned

Welp, time for the Twitter campaign

#PS4ProNoPatchFees

Wait so is this consumer charge for already relaese/pre Pro games or stuff going forward as well?

For those interested would we be seeing "Call of Duty Infinite Warfare: Pro Patch $59.99"?

Kinyou

It might be a good incentive to third party dev to upgrade their old games. However it certainly doesn't give me an incentive to buy a PS4 pro. Most preferable would probably be Sony banking the costs.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I write code for a living. Why in the hell do you want me to spend how much more time in a old game that works fine for free?

We're far too cheap to value the time of developers/programmers.

oti

Banned
Funny how time flies.....

its-called-xbox-360.jpg

And things are buried underneath the carpet......

xlarge-620x.jpg

#Micosoftoo
I just wanted to use that hashtag lol. It's a joke. Don't ban me please.

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase the PS4 Pro, nor will they purchase any of Sony's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sony, publicly apologize and cancel the PS4 Pro or you can kiss your business goodbye.

GHG

This could open the door for paid patches in general.

If people accept this then all hell will break loose.

Blobbers

I hope the patches that are not free cost as much as the regular game at that point in time. Because whether it's a jump from 900p > 1080p > 4K, or 30FPS > 60FPS, or lower lod and detail > higher lod and detail, you're basically getting a brand new game experience.

So for example, Mass Effect will be 60 dollars, but you can opt for the pro version which has a patch to get it from variable framerate to locked 30, then you pay 120.

If a developer goes above and beyond and patches a game that's sub4K and sub60FPS to 4K 60FPS, then I think they can justify a $200 price tag, even if the game is 3-4 years old.

Vashetti

Banned

You incentivise new sales for your old games and for any future games you make by providing a free update to your consumers.

Absolutely. Which is why it is some guy who doesn't make these decisions saying it in a Japanese interview, and if it backfires, it can easily be clarified by a senior executive or customer facing spokesperson as they rework their internal policies in reaction. Aka business as usual. :)

i hope they get ahold of the message before they lose it. this coupled with the fact that ps4 pro and scorpio are "weird" as in non traditional to consumers.

see: entire xbox one launch

duckroll

Why? The paid for the software to run in a PS4. and it run. And it will run on a PS4 pro as well. It won't have the enhancement that is possible in the pro because it wasn't coded in the software. So if it required for the devs to revisit old code and write who knows how much more new code, new assets etc to make it better (4k upscale/HDR) asking for a fee is ok on my book.

Think of this as continued customer service rather than charity. You would still be paid to write the code. The person paying you can choose to not charge his customers for it because the people most likely to make the most use of such an upgrade would be loyal Hardcore fans who will continue to buy all the other ganes you code for your employer as long as they feel valued and loved.

Why? You paid for the software to run in a PS4. and it runs. And it will run on a PS4 pro as well. It won't have the enhancement that is possible in the pro because it wasn't coded in the software. So if it required for the devs to revisit old code and write who knows how much more new code, new assets etc to make it better (4k upscale/HDR) asking for a fee is ok on my book.

because a games revenue stream does not have to end right after launch? this is a silly statement.

you can now market your game again as new and improved.

Sweep14

I just don't know what to say about this. Now resolution is essentially paid DLC. I really can't believe they chose this path.

Once again as some seems to have a lot of comprehension problems :This could happen, depending on the publishers (Sony's not responsible for 3rd party patches devlopment) but only for games released before october. After october, enhancements for the Pro are mandatory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom