• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PS+ games have disappointed me for almost 2 years

Fonds

We're about to come up to the two year anniversary of the Playstation 4 and with that almost two years of PS+.
This generation I made the switch from Xbox to Playstation, as many others have I believe. One of the most interesting features to me, was the addition of PS+. Both consoles required a subcription for online play but the Playstation platform interested me most because of the stellar offers of free games they had with the Playstation 3.

Premium games like Red Dead Redemption, Ratchet and Clank, Borderlands, Dead Space, Crysis 2, Battlefield 3 etc., were all made available to players for free.
That promise was too good for me to pass up on.

Two years later, I must say I'm really disappointed with the amount of premium PS+ content we've seen for the Playstation 4. Most of the games offered so far have been games that could only pique my interest for an hour tops. On top of that, the games offered on PS+ are PC indy re-releases for the PS4. We haven't seen a single original Playstation 4 retail release (multiplat or otherwise) on PS+.
When PS+ launched for the Playstation 3, in its second year since launch in 2012 the offering was already much better with games such as Warhammer 40k Space Marine, Darksiders, Far Cry 2 and Back to the Future 1-5.

How are you guys feeling about the current games we've seen on PS+ for the Playstation 4? I know some of you are really positive about what we've seen so far, but when comparing it to the list of PS3 a difference has to be noticed.
I find I can hardly justify paying for PS+ at this point if it weren't for online play requirements.

Vashetti

Banned
I think it is about time we had retail games more regularly, especially from the launch titles.

AC: Black Flag and Killzone,
and Knack
should be on there by now.

I pay for PS+ for discounts and the free games. I've only actually used the online aspect for Diablo since FFXIV doesn't require PS+. Rocket league wasn't good enough?

TVexperto

All I want for christmas is Knack on ps plus! (And hopefully a sequel announcement!) But I agree, I love indie games, but after such a long time I am also craving for retail games (MGS Ground Zeroes excluded).

Hugstable

Banned
You have to remember that you got all those games like Red Dead and Ratchet because the PS3 had been out for quite some time. The PS4 library isn't really up there yet, and what is good in terms of big games are still big enough that they are trying to get a bit more real sales out of it. I give it near the end of Year 3/Star of Year 4, that's when you'll probably start to see retail games popping up commonly on the PS4 like you did on the PS3.

Cob32

I agree. I let mine expire and buy a months worth when I find a game I want the online capabilities for.

Yeah, I've been more than disappointed. I've downloaded one game, and that was MGS Ground Zeros. The rest? Not interested.

Games with Gold has been better and I've downloaded a few games from it. Just makes sense give the people what they want, high quality, AAA games.

Rosur

PS+ for the PS3 launched a lot latter in its life span compared to the PS4 though yea we should really see at least 1 AAA game a month (like games for gold does) now.

Hopefully for this fall we start getting AAA games more regularly but they do seem to be using it to promote indies.

blackjaw

I really enjoyed Vagrant Hearts...but outside of that...yeah

I've been a member since it started, no regrets even if the +games are hit or miss

Craft

We haven't seen a single original Playstation 4 retail release (multiplat or otherwise) on PS+.

Yes we have:
Injustice: Gods Among Us – Ultimate Edition
InFamous: First Light
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

Cronen

We haven't seen a single original Playstation 4 retail release (multiplat or otherwise) on PS+.

Injustice Gods Among Us? Do you count inFamous First Light and MGSV Ground Zeroes as retail releases?

I agree in that I would like some more retail games, and I am sure that we will at some point. However, there's been some great indie games on offer (Rocket League, as a recent example) that are definitely on par, or even better than some retail games that would end up on PS+.

Intel_89

I have it for three months now and they've manage to push out at least one game each month that has pleased me so I can't complain just yet.

Drackhorn

PS+ for the PS3 launched a lot latter in its life span compared to the PS4 though yea we should really see at least 1 AAA game a month (like games for gold does) now.

Hopefully for this fall we start getting AAA games more regularly but they do seem to be using it to promote indies.

Indeed, I remember getting two big titles each month for PS3 on PS+ for a while. Those times now seem long gone. I expected to see a shift to PS4 but I can't say I really see it yet.

a.wd

I had both gwg and ps+ but as I'm not really a multiplayer gwg (and ea access) is a lot better on every level as a service. I let my ps+ lapse and I have not missed it.

EvB

The quality of the games isn't so good because they are spending all the sub money on improving the infrastructure and making sure we get regular firmware updates

Lingitiz

It's a decent service if you're a PS4 only owner. If you have a good PC and keep up with games, a lot of the games are things that have already been on sale multiple times.

However there have been things like Rocket League that have been done right though.

I see where you are coming from, I think they could benefit from offering a few full retail releases. I could see Killzone, Saints Row and Rayman making good PS+ games.

But for me I actually like the smaller indie releases as the PS+ offerings. They are good distractions from my usual open world/RPG games I always seem to get sucked into. Resogun, Velocity 2X and Rocket League are some of my favourite games this gen.

I've gotten something amazing pretty much every month. Teslagrad, Xeodrifter, and STFU for PS4 in September was practically spoiling me. La Mulana Ex on Vita made it even better but OP only wants PS4 games. It's not Sony's fault that some people only want retail and/or AAA games.

How much do people pay for PS+? Don't have a PS4 myself so can only really go by Gold which costs me around £20/£25 a year. I would imagine PS+ is something similar?

Think about it, even if its £30 a year that's about 60p a week and your getting 4 games a month to play (on PS4).

I genuinely don't know how people can feel anything other than delight at the shrewd piece of business that even Alan Sugar would be proud of!

Nzyme32

I don't think people are getting PS+ specifically for the games. However there are the odd great game thrown in - such as the Binding of Isaac and Rocket League

The quality of the games isn't so good because they are spending all the sub money on improving the infrastructure and making sure we get regular firmware updates

Is that really where the money is going? I doubt it.

le.phat

I agree that in terms of big AAA output, PSplus was a lot more generous in the ps3 era. Not that i miss it though. I rarely have time to retrace old releases, even when they're free. I barely even have time for all the games releasing monthly as is. Sony's focus on high quality brand-spanking new indie games has led to the discovery of many cool games that i wouldn't play otherwise. Rocket league, towerfall, pix the cat and just starve are some of the biggest surprises this gen.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Yeah, lately the offerings haven't really been grabbing me. I play online regularly enough that I still buy the service though.

I just wish the games were auto-added to your library.

I was so salty (and I still am) the other week when I went to try Rocket League and realised I forgot to 'purchase' it.

Not worth it to me now but I have a years worth built up that I got cheap. If it doesn't improve in a year then I'll not subscribe beyond that. There's been very little on the PS4 that I enjoyed and felt I got value for money from. But I think Sony have moved on from retail games and are using it to showcase indies now which on the whole are more miss than hit.

Pachimari

It have been very disappointing on PlayStation 4. The only game I would say have been interesting is InFamous: First Light which gave me a chance to see what the new InFamous was about.

Many of the games coming out, I already have for PC. I buy all of my indies for Steam.

Arklite

It tends to hit some dry spells, but overall I still end up getting more games out of it than money put into it over a year. That hasn't changed in the four years I've had it.

Caayn

If only that were true, I wouldn't mind the online paywall that much. But at the current state of it, I'm letting my sub laps next month.

Klossen

Banned
PS+ was that good for PS3 because Sony wanted the core players paying for their subscription before starting to charge for online with PS4. Meaning that the offer was always a bit too good to be true in the long run.

There is no incentive anymore for Sony to put out lucrative titles on PS+ since those that originally paid for PS+ are most likely renewing their subscriptions for online play anyways. And those starting to subscribe with PS4 won't really know what they missed out on anyways.

I suspected this would happen the moment the carrot was replaced with the stick with PS4's introduction. The PS3 PS+ line-up was never meant to be something sustainable in the long run.

PS+ was that good for PS3 because Sony wanted the core players paying for their subscription before starting to charge for online with PS4. Meaning that the offer was always a bit too good to be true in the long run.

There is no incentive anymore for Sony to put out lucrative titles on PS+ since those that originally paid for PS+ are most likely renewing their subscriptions for online play anyways. And those starting to subscribe with PS4 won't really know what they missed out on anyways.

I suspected this would happen the moment the carrot was replaced with the stick with PS4's introduction. The PS3 PS+ line-up was never meant to be something sustainable in the long run.

This is definitely true. PS+ on PS3 was meant to ease users into being comfortable buying into a subscription service for the long term. Once that happened, making online play a part of the subscription was a no-brainer.

Carl

PS+ didn't even start on PS3 until 2010, 4 years after the console released. Even then it was only PSN games, minis etc. The full retail games every month didn't start until 2012.

I'm sure they will do retail titles again in time. It's good for the publisher (brings new players, sells DLC, gets eyes on the franchise ready for a sequel)

I'll take new indie games over year old retail games any day (new to me, anyway). I've been really happy with the service. Every month there are at least two or three games I've really enjoyed.

ps3ud0

Rather have new 'PSN-type' games than old AAA ones as the likelihood I haven't already either bought that particular AAA game or dismissed it is very slim.

ps3ud0 8)

Lingitiz

PSN download speeds are still insanely slow even on amazing internet connections.

Eh, I'm happy with it as it is. But that's more because if a top tier AAA game comes out that I'd actually want to play, I've probably already bought it. So I'm pretty much OK with the indie games.

I mean, I guess in a pure monetary sense you would feel like you get more value from triplea games, but a good game is good regardless of retail price.

Far Cry 2 was released on PS3 Oct 2008, it was on PS+ 3.5 years after release. So if you want PS+ now to be as "great" as it was then you'll just have to wait till 2017 for 3rd party AAA titles. If we have launch 3rd party titles on there this Christmas, it will be 2 years since release.

cripterion

I feel the same way as you OP. If they didn't lock MP behind their paywall, there would be no reason for me to get PSN+.

theaface

It's been a mostly-positive but still mixed bag. I do agree that the time is right to include at least 1 'AAA' game each month. I'm not anti Indie at all, but PS+ is at its best when it's diverse, so it's important to listen to the gamers who want the Knacks and Killzones of this world too.

That said, PS+ on PS4 has had some remarkable high points already, giving us such gems as Resogun, OlliOlli 2 and Rocket League.

Rocket League and Velocity 2x are stand outs.

I had fun with Steamworld Dig as well.

A lot of misses though. Some good games that I had bought previously.

Top Bottom