• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Shipped 94.2 Million Units as of December 31; Full-Year Prediction Steady at 17.5 Million

Evilms

Banned
So the PS4 finished top of the world sales for the 5th consecutive year (2014-2015-2016-2017-2018). Long live the king !

ps4-tank_0190000000571512.jpg

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned
The PS4 is the worthy successor to the PS2.

WiiU : 102 millions of games / 13.5 millions consoles = ratio : 7.55 games/console
NSW : 164 millions of games / 32.27 millions consoles = 5
NGC : 208 millions of games / 21.7 millions consoles = 9.6
N64 : 225 millions of games / 32.9 millions consoles = 6.8
XBX : 258 millions of games / 24.5 millions consoles = 10.5
PSP : 305 millions of games / 80.9 millions consoles = 3.8
3DS : 371 millions of games / 73.5 millions consoles = 5
GBA : 377 millions of games / 81.5 millions consoles = 4.6
SNES : 379 millions of games / 49 millions consoles = 7.7
NES : 500 millions of games / 61.9 millions consoles = 8
GBC : 501 millions of games / 118.6 millions consoles = 4.2
PS4 : 876 millions of games / 91.6 millions consoles = 9.6 (The PS4 Software need update)
Wii : 920 millions of games / 101.6 millions consoles = 9
360 : 937 millions of games / 85.8 millions consoles = 11
NDS : 948 millions of games / 154 millions consoles = 6.1
PS3 : 950 millions of games / 86.9 millions consoles = 11
PS1 : 962 millions of games / 104.2 millions consoles = 9.2
PS2 : 1.5 milliard of games / 155 millions consoles = 10

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Honestly, with the latest quarterly report out, I really can't understand how Sony isn't hitting more than 75Billion in market cap.
Music, mobile games, finance and games and services are all killing. They are now the biggest music company in the world and have the most popular gaming system. I feel that they should be worth almost 100 Billion but can't believe they are not at 75 yet...

thelastword

Banned
5 years in the paint, 5 years MVP......Congrats to the PS4, I don't see it slowing down now, it will take pole position in year 6 too......
There's just too many great games to come, Sony has the option of reducing the price too......See you guys next year, and by year 7 PS4 should be very hot on the coattails of PS2 or might have very well surpassed it then.....

Evilms

Banned
PS4 is on track to reach 100 million faster than the Wii.

5bcec10f0955f3cc190a6ed5d34d5a0920190201103845.jpg

The PSN generated as much revenue as Nintendo's total revenue and as much as Microsoft's overall gaming division revenue for 2018, impressive.

Last edited:

mejin

PS4 is on track to reach 100 million faster than the Wii.

5bcec10f0955f3cc190a6ed5d34d5a0920190201103845.jpg

The PSN generated as much revenue as Nintendo's total revenue and as much as Microsoft's overall gaming division revenue for 2018, impressive.

WoW, so long the power of the 8%.

94M? Yeeeesh, this is really impressive.

Hopefully Sony is intelligent enough to keep the PS4 on store shelves another 2+ years as a budget option for their brand. They can hit PS2 numbers without a problem.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
PS4 is a great console, my favourite since the PSX. The library of games is incredible and I feel it has several more years in it. I haven´t the slightest need for a PS5.

SonGoku

Hopefully Sony is intelligent enough to keep the PS4 on store shelves another 2+ years as a budget option for their brand. They can hit PS2 numbers without a problem.
What makes you think they wouldn't? they did the same for the ps3 and the ps2 before it.

What makes you think they wouldn't? they did the same for the ps3 and the ps2 before it.
Generally, I assume the gaming company is going to act stupid and I count my blessings when they happen to do smart things.

It all depends on when they launch PS5 and how quickly they drop PS4. I think the Switch will end up helping PS4 since developers will continue making games that target that "range" of hardware for many years to come.

SonGoku

Generally, I assume the gaming company is going to act stupid and I count my blessings when they happen to do smart things.

It all depends on when they launch PS5 and how quickly they drop PS4. I think the Switch will end up helping PS4 since developers will continue making games that target that "range" of hardware for many years to come.
For indies sure but most AAA skip the switch so not much help there
Also keep in mind PS4 sales might drop like a rock if PS5 is a hit out the door. PS2 was a anomaly in the sense that PS3 had a botched launch, very expensive slow initial adoption.

For indies sure but most AAA skip the switch so not much help there
Also keep in mind PS4 sales might drop like a rock if PS5 is a hit out the door. PS2 was a anomaly in the sense that PS3 had a botched launch, very expensive slow initial adoption.
I don't think the PS3's launch is what allowed the PS2 to succeed. PS3 sold fairly well right out the gate.

PS2 was still getting games like Persona 4, God of War 2, Motorstorm, Rock Band, Guitar Hero, Madden (all the way up to NFL '12), etc well into the PS3's lifespan. PS3 didn't get that kind of end-of-life support.

SonGoku

I don't think the PS3's launch is what allowed the PS2 to succeed.
I didn't say that, i meant the PS2 continued good sales post ps3 launch
PS3 had a tremendous lineup when PS4 launched, it looked much more appealing than ps4 and still dropped like a rock

Publishers stopped cross gen games after they realized most of the audience moved to next gen

There is however potential for a $150/$200 ps4 to continue selling favorably alongside ps5

Last edited:
PS3 had a tremendous lineup when PS4 launched, it looked much more appealing than is4 and still dropped like a rock

Publishers stopped cross gen games after they realize most of the audience moved to next gen

There is however potential for a $150/$200 ps4 to continue selling favorably alongside ps5
Yeah, the pricepoint will probably be the biggest factor here, good point.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

The PS4 should be able to sell 130 million units even if Sony never annouced a new game for it starting today forward. Just lower the price to $199 and 130 million units is the floor for what it will do.

PS3 had a tremendous lineup when PS4 launched, it looked much more appealing than ps4 and still dropped like a rock

Publishers stopped cross gen games after they realized most of the audience moved to next gen

A $200 PS4 with a game will sell amazingly well beside a PS5. I totally agree.

Kazza

That's a good point. The fact that the PS5 is almost certainly going to be BC will also help prolong its life. I can't see many third parties making their games PS5 exclusive until well into the 2nd year (although Sony will probably make a couple to encourage sales)

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
All those sales with sub-standard foliage.... :messenger_confused:

Should be 100 million by E3 if not within spitting distance.

Man all those 2012-13 video games are dead articles sure look funny looking back don't they?

Last edited:

JaguarCROW

Such impressive numbers. I didn't expect it to do quite this well without a permanent price drop to $199. (I never will forget those PS3 Kevin Butler ads.... ."Confirm or Deny?")

WaterAstro

I wonder if anyone still has that gif of the bar graph with the consoles, then the PS4 bar breaks the graph lol.

So with this Xbox/PS4/Wii U is 145 million.

It'll be a tough road after next gen launch to reach 200 million. But I think it's possible. The Wii U really did mess up the averages though, even though Xbox One and PS4 have done a great job trying to pick up the slack.

But this may be the first time in two gens that home consoles don't hit 200 million.

Ps2/Xbox/DC/GC was ~212 or so.

360/ps3/Wii was ~270

Wii U is dead, so in order for this gen to get over 200mill, XBO/PS4 need to sell another 56 million units together.

Even if this year MS sold 10 this and PS4 14, that would still leave 32 million gap and Im not sure PS4 can pull 14 with no conferences, moving devs to PS5, and prelaunch hype. Plus Xbox could always fall just short as well.

Even If successful, both consoles will crash in 2020, and the refreshes will likely be the main consoles by then. They won't sell anywhere near as well as the base machines and will still cost a pretty penny. That 32 million won't be easy to cover.

JaguarCROW

PS4 Hardware and Software sales from November 2013 to December 2018 :
e10375da70610e5b1fc6ba2bca70e48c20190202135142.png
Have we seen any breakdown for number of PS4 Pros that have been sold (vs Standard PS4) ? I am really curious to know how well it did (especially with Microsoft's decline in Hardware sales in Calendar 2018).

Top Bottom