• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Shipped 94.2 Million Units as of December 31; Full-Year Prediction Steady at 17.5 Million

Evilms

Banned
Have we seen any breakdown for number of PS4 Pros that have been sold (vs Standard PS4) ? I am really curious to know how well it did (especially with Microsoft's decline in Hardware sales in Calendar 2018).

The last time Sony communicated on it was in 2017 and we know that one PS4 out of five sold is a PS4 Pro model.

Possibly it has increased since then.

PocoJoe

Banned
Even Switch cant compete with PlayStation.

Reason is that ps sells steadily all around the world, switch sells great on some and not so great in many areas.

Ps4 is 5years old and sells like crazy, and that is because of brand, games and hardware.

Weak games, hardware or brand and sales drop.

Ms usually has weak games and brand(outside of US)

Nintendo hae weak hardware, strong brand and weak 3rd party games.

Sony has strong games, brand and hardware in every gen. Strong enough hardware with good dev support means strong 3rd party.

Evilms

Banned
Code:
1- PlayStation 2 : 155.1 million

2- Nintendo DS : 154.02 million

3- PlayStation : 102.49 million

4- Wii : 101.63 million

5- PlayStation 4 : 94.2 million

6- PlayStation 3 : 86 million

7- Xbox 360 : 84 million

8- PlayStation Portable : 82 million

9- GameBoy Advance : 81.51 million

10- Nintendo 3DS : 74.84 million

11- GameBoy : 64.42 million

12- Nintendo Entertainment System : 61.91 million

13- GameBoy Color : 54.27 million

14- Super Nintendo : 49.1 million

15- Game & Watch : 43.4 million

16- Xbox One : 41 million

17- Nintendo 64 : 32.93 million

18- Nintendo Switch : 32.27 million

19- Atari 2600 : 30 million

20- Sega Mega Drive : 29.54 million

The PS4 will soon be in the top 3 of the best-selling home consoles of all time.

Last edited:

McHuj

There will be at least 25M more sold before PS5 shows up and imagine Sony will continue to sell it until ~2023 so i think there could another 25m in sales after that (assuming the price drops after PS5 releases).

HeresJohnny

Consumer/Developer friendly conventional system centered around traditional gaming with a wallet friendly price dominates the market, who’d a thunk it? The only knock I will levy against them is that they could unlock another 30-50 million sales by hitting that $199 price point and they should already be there given the age of the market.

Aside from that, This just shows Sony knows this market and what makes it work. All the FUD articles and paid shills in recent days proclaiming Sony is going to lose next generation must like the taste of shoe leather and crow.

Last edited:
Code:
1- PlayStation 2 : 155.1 million

2- Nintendo DS : 154.02 million

3- PlayStation : 102.49 million

4- Wii : 101.63 million

5- PlayStation 4 : 94.2 million

6- PlayStation 3 : 86 million

7- Xbox 360 : 84 million

8- PlayStation Portable : 82 million

9- GameBoy Advance : 81.51 million

10- Nintendo 3DS : 74.84 million

11- GameBoy : 64.42 million

12- Nintendo Entertainment System : 61.91 million

13- GameBoy Color : 54.27 million

14- Super Nintendo : 49.1 million

15- Game & Watch : 43.4 million

16- Xbox One : 41 million

17- Nintendo 64 : 32.93 million

18- Nintendo Switch : 32.27 million

19- Sega Mega Drive : 29.54 million

20- Atari 2600 : 27.64 million

The PS4 will soon be in the top 3 of the best-selling home consoles of all time.

2600 figure is wrong.

lV-426

Neo Member
I predict 150 million+. They have yet to hit that blue ocean pricing and the base ps4 is far more desirable than the ps2 was. If they can get to $159 or $179 that's what will do it.

This kind of surging momentum, outpacing the Wii and Ps2, doesn't slow down easily, pure physics.

Source: VGR

Not only was 2018 an amazing year for PS4 units sold, but it was also an impressive year for PS Plus, which is up to around 36 million subscribers. Since PS Plus is no longer going to support gamers on Vita and PS3 in the near future, most of them are probably PS4 players.

lV-426

Neo Member
Source: VGR

Not only was 2018 an amazing year for PS4 units sold, but it was also an impressive year for PS Plus, which is up to around 36 million subscribers. Since PS Plus is no longer going to support gamers on Vita and PS3 in the near future, most of them are probably PS4 players.

I wonder when the PS Plus subscriber count will surpass the number of Xbox consoles. It's only a few million behind.

Blayzedblue

Neo Member
Sony is king of gaming. They passed Nintendo long ago. They don’t need gimmicks to sell hardware and games like the Big N.

HeresJohnny

How the hell did Atari sell so many units back then? I only knew of 1 person with it.
Dude, I only knew one kid who didn't have one lol. It was the Nike of video games, at least up until the crash. After that, you could buy them for pennies on the dollar.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Dude, I only knew one kid who didn't have one lol. It was the Nike of video games, at least up until the crash. After that, you could buy them for pennies on the dollar.

My uncle bought me one becasuse he worked at a Toy store (I think it was Toys R Us). But I knew I wasn't the only kid with one.

Top Bottom