• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim or Pro

John Wick

ok an Update i picked up the slim bundle tonight and i've been playing it all night with WWII and i have to say i'm pretty happy. It fits under the tv like a glove i have the set on a stand and it slips right under the set. I put the 8000 on Game mode and COD WWI looks fantastic, no lag ansi'm pretty impressed with how the game looks running at 1080p and unconverted by the tv. Are there Jaggies sure but they are not bad at all don't notice when playing whatsoever. The slim is such a tight little console i'm pretty happy, i'll spend the extra money picking up a few games.

OP this reminds me of a guy buying a 6L engine car and then not filling the tank up as the car drinks too much fuel. You should have went Pro

Rellik

OP this reminds me of a guy buying a 6L engine car and then not filling the tank up as the car drinks too much fuel. You should have went Pro

Tbf, I only fill up to half too because I'm not made of money.

Should have got a Pro though

Clockwork

I have a Samsung KS8000 and I know there have been issues with this set and the PS4 pro.

What issues? I have had both the PS4 Pro and the KS8000 for nearly a year and am not quite sure what you mean.

In any case, you have a UHD television so you might as well tak advantage of it. I can't see any reason to opt fot the standard PS4 except for cost in your situation.

Edit: I should have read all of the thread. I see you ended up with the slim. I don't get it but whatevs. Smdh.

Was an easy decision for me, Destiny 2 Pro white bundle was an easy pick up to go with hands down, plus added little extras and in white looks sexy as hell.

ok an Update i picked up the slim bundle tonight and i've been playing it all night with WWII and i have to say i'm pretty happy. It fits under the tv like a glove i have the set on a stand and it slips right under the set. I put the 8000 on Game mode and COD WWI looks fantastic, no lag ansi'm pretty impressed with how the game looks running at 1080p and unconverted by the tv. Are there Jaggies sure but they are not bad at all don't notice when playing whatsoever. The slim is such a tight little console i'm pretty happy, i'll spend the extra money picking up a few games.
Great decision. You'll enjoy the extra games far more than you would slightly reduced jaggies on few.

Another reason for choosing the Slim over the Pro is that it is unknown, and I think unlikely, that the Pro will be future compatible with PlayStation 5 games. That means that the future useful life expectancy of the Pro is not that long. Anybody buying late in a console generation runs up against that issue, but it is usually compensated for by the fact that the consoles are a lot cheaper. Buying a console for $289 + game that will be relevant for 2 more years makes a lot more sense than buying a $399 with no game console that will be relevant for 2 more years.

I have a 65KS8000 and bought a Pro at launch. I ended up returning it due to noise. Even swapped it out twice, then waited 4 months, tried again and returned that one due to noise. Meanwhile I had a Slim the whole time that's so quiet that it earned a place in my living room over the Pro. I detest fan noise and honestly HDR has been more impressive to me than a resolution bump and the Slim seems to be handling that quiet well, so a Pro isn't worth my time until they make a quiet one.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Great decision. You'll enjoy the extra games far more than you would slightly reduced jaggies on few.

Another reason for choosing the Slim over the Pro is that it is unknown, and I think unlikely, that the Pro will be future compatible with PlayStation 5 games. That means that the future useful life expectancy of the Pro is not that long. Anybody buying late in a console generation runs up against that issue, but it is usually compensated for by the fact that the consoles are a lot cheaper. Buying a console for $289 + game that will be relevant for 2 more years makes a lot more sense than buying a $399 with no game console that will be relevant for 2 more years.

Nonsense. The whole point of going with an x86 CPU/GPU instead of a proprietary CPU/GPU was that future backwards compatibility is guaranteed. Sony wants to build a Playstation ecosystem similar to iOS/Android/Windows. The only way to do that is by backwards compatibility so customers don't lose access to their games library and saves. If the PS5 were to be incompatible with the PS4, there'd be no reason for customers to stick with the PS4 for a next gen console.

Nonsense. The whole point of going with an x86 CPU/GPU instead of a proprietary CPU/GPU was that future backwards compatibility is guaranteed. Sony wants to build a Playstation ecosystem similar to iOS/Android/Windows. The only way to do that is by backwards compatibility so customers don't lose access to their games library and saves. If the PS5 were to be incompatible with the PS4, there'd be no reason for customers to stick with the PS4 for a next gen console.

I didn't say backwards compatibility. I said future compatibility. The biggest change the PS5 will have over the base PS4 and Pro will likely be its CPU capability. Games designed for the PS5 that take advantage of that extra capability won't be playable on any flavor of PS4. You can pretty straightforwardly scale GPU power down through resolution and/or FPS. That scaling is far less effective for CPU tasks since they more likely directly influence gameplay.

What all that means is that there is a good chance that the PS5 will come out in 2019, and the $399 you spend today for a Pro won't be able to play new games designed for it. It's better to just spend $289 to play games for that 2 year span. Of course if money is no object then go for the best with the Pro, but if money was no object the question would not have been asked in this thread what to get.

I have a 65KS8000 and bought a Pro at launch. I ended up returning it due to noise. Even swapped it out twice, then waited 4 months, tried again and returned that one due to noise. Meanwhile I had a Slim the whole time that's so quiet that it earned a place in my living room over the Pro. I detest fan noise and honestly HDR has been more impressive to me than a resolution bump and the Slim seems to be handling that quiet well, so a Pro isn't worth my time until they make a quiet one.

Know the feeling - I had to take the Pro out of the TV stand and get a stand and put it vertically round the back and then go digital for games so I don’t have to use the drive. Not sure what happened with sony - the drive noise, the fan noise (with pro titles), it is a pain.

I'm really considering an M-cable coupled with a ps4 slim and an xbox1s.

Each console is a slight upgrade from the original and the m-cable would add to that upgrade.

Should also help backwards compatible titles too, on x1s anyway.

JustCheeze

Neo Member
Know the feeling - I had to take the Pro out of the TV stand and get a stand and put it vertically round the back and then go digital for games so I don’t have to use the drive. Not sure what happened with sony - the drive noise, the fan noise (with pro titles), it is a pain.

Nothing happened, you can't beat physics.

People hate fat looking consoles (see what happened to the OG Xbone). People wanted slim, they wanted more power, they don't want to pay a lot of money. So something has go to give and one of the areas where Sony can cut back as much as possible is cooling. It's the very bare minimum for that 16nm APU on the PS4 Pro until we move to a 10nm process.

"But...but Xbone X is smaller and quieter!"
Well of course, it's also got at least full year worth of extra manufacturing R&D in addition to higher budget cap. If Sony can charge people $500 without the constant bitching and whining, they could put in the vapor chamber cooler on the Pro too.

As for drive noise, I've brought down drive noise almost to inaudible levels by "suspending" the Pro with rubber pads. It's the same concept to adding spikes on tower speakers or speaker stands.

All I did was buy something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016WUMAV8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Then make 3 stacks of them and place it on 4 corners in addition to the middle portion of the Pro's underside. Drive noise is significantly reduced due to vibration to the surface of a desk, but also it helps in not having so much heat trapped on the underside of the console (thus, less fan noise).

Jimx26

As you have a 4k TV 100% go for the Pro. I recently upgraded from my launch PS4 and the difference in resolution is stunning on certain games.

I didn't say backwards compatibility. I said future compatibility. The biggest change the PS5 will have over the base PS4 and Pro will likely be its CPU capability. Games designed for the PS5 that take advantage of that extra capability won't be playable on any flavor of PS4. You can pretty straightforwardly scale GPU power down through resolution and/or FPS. That scaling is far less effective for CPU tasks since they more likely directly influence gameplay.

What all that means is that there is a good chance that the PS5 will come out in 2019, and the $399 you spend today for a Pro won't be able to play new games designed for it. It's better to just spend $289 to play games for that 2 year span. Of course if money is no object then go for the best with the Pro, but if money was no object the question would not have been asked in this thread what to get.

I agree with just about everything you said...except...I'd say there's just about zero chance Sony releases the PS5 in 2019. They'll milk the PS4 gen until late 2020.

Scarpad

That what I figured too, i think the big trend now is to try to make past games compatible with new systems, look at xbox, so i think they will be, but if not i still have a great console and a ton of games that i can pick up on the cheap to play. I'm planning on getting a Xbox X at some point, waiting to see a price drop

Raoh

Starting to consider getting the PS4 Pro. Gamestop has an additional $50 toward PS4 and Xbone trade in. Thinking about getting rid of the xbox and the ps4 original for the PS4 Pro. I'd like the see/play the enhanced games, but am concerned about about the noise reports.

How bad compared to say running The Division disc on a ps4 which is usually the loudest game I have.

Toe-Knee

Starting to consider getting the PS4 Pro. Gamestop has an additional $50 toward PS4 and Xbone trade in. Thinking about getting rid of the xbox and the ps4 original for the PS4 Pro. I'd like the see/play the enhanced games, but am concerned about about the noise reports.

How bad compared to say running The Division disc on a ps4 which is usually the loudest game I have.

Everything is way quieter than my standard ps4.

However saying that I rarely hear my pro it's very very quiet.

The only time I've ever really heard it dash when horizon first fane out when viewing the map the fans would reamp up for the time the map was open. Close it and it when back down.

Pretty happy with mine so far, too, and I don't really hear it much. That said, I use headphones often ... I don't hear it, sans headphones, in GTA or a few strategy games, but GR Wildlands, MGS V, etc I always used headphones and maybe GRW is one of the games that can make it loud. Dunno.

Performance has been well worth it. The difference is not visually huge but the small improvement to performance in GRW has went a really long way to making it a more enjoyable game. One X is a much bigger improvement in GRW so on a value basis I'm a bit jealous of how good GRW looks on X, but I ended up going with a Pro mostly because GRW was the only real reason I wanted an X (or a PC upgrade -- just personal preference; there are many good reasons tho). Whereas I want a lot of exclusives on PS4. Either way, I'd say they're both worth it (though the X has pretty awesome value) and it mostly comes down to how many games you plan to play on either them this year and next.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Get the pro, or you will keep hearing a little voice from your tv saying "your not using me to my full potential and not getting the best gaming experience you could have"

Isurus

I'd go with an Xbox One X at this point, especially if you play multi-plats the most. Second option is PS4 Pro. I wouldn't consider anything else as to not make your 4K TV a waste.

Brock2621

Pro or no go. 4k HDR is incredible. Horizon is gorgeous and God of War looks to be on another level as well. Not to mention Spider-Man, death stranding and last of us 2 all having Pro support. Go for it

Nothing happened, you can't beat physics.

People hate fat looking consoles (see what happened to the OG Xbone). People wanted slim, they wanted more power, they don't want to pay a lot of money. So something has go to give and one of the areas where Sony can cut back as much as possible is cooling. It's the very bare minimum for that 16nm APU on the PS4 Pro until we move to a 10nm process.

"But...but Xbone X is smaller and quieter!"
Well of course, it's also got at least full year worth of extra manufacturing R&D in addition to higher budget cap. If Sony can charge people $500 without the constant bitching and whining, they could put in the vapor chamber cooler on the Pro too.

As for drive noise, I've brought down drive noise almost to inaudible levels by "suspending" the Pro with rubber pads. It's the same concept to adding spikes on tower speakers or speaker stands.

All I did was buy something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016WUMAV8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Then make 3 stacks of them and place it on 4 corners in addition to the middle portion of the Pro's underside. Drive noise is significantly reduced due to vibration to the surface of a desk, but also it helps in not having so much heat trapped on the underside of the console (thus, less fan noise).

You are right - although I think Sony could have engineered the Pro better - and would have done if Xbox was catching them. It doesn't help when one manufacturer is so far ahead of the other in sales and hopefully Nintendo will now keep them more honest.

Going back to the OP - it really is a catch 22. You can get the Slim and still get HDR (you do not need the Pro for HDR) and great graphics. On the other hand if you trade up for the Pro and get the 4K, you will get quite a bit more fan noise for those demanding games.

Last edited:

It's hard to say, as it varies between games. For example, unenhanced games run very quietly - Fifa 17 sounded like a hair drier changing pitch every few seconds, Unchartered 4 just sounded like a hair drier. I would have thought that Battlefront 2 would be loud, but whilst the fans spin loudly when loading, it is quiet when playing. Who knows what is going on - I do wonder whether the excessive heat is caused as much by the drives as the GPU. Certainly mine has been quieter since going digital.

nowhat

It's hard to say, as it varies between games.
In my experience (launch Pro, perhaps the newer models fare better) not only does it vary between games (as some are more demanding than others), but also between discs.

This is completely without any kind of objective measuring, just a gut feel, but I swear some discs are much louder than others. Recently replayed NieR: Automata and was appalled how loud the disc drive is when playing the game. Sure, it's a minor nuisance (the disc just spins for a while when starting a game), but I maintain at least on my particular Pro there's a marked difference between discs. Or maybe I'm just imagining it.

Malystryx

Neo Member
There's rumors of a PS5 / Portable coming in the next year or two so I would hold out for that. But if you've got money to burn, Pro for sure.

nowhat

There's rumors of a PS5 / Portable coming in the next year or two so I would hold out for that. But if you've got money to burn, Pro for sure.
I'd say late 2019 by the earliest. The reason being, according to AMD roadmap they'll move into 7nm manufacturing process some time in 2019, and likely GPUs will be made with that process before APUs are.

Assuming the next PS, whatever it may be, will continue to use AMD APUs and will be made with newer technology, but I see no reason they wouldn't. Sure, Sony could switch the SOC provider or use current-gen APUs, but both options would be stupid.

Raoh

Got the Pro, popped in my 2tb drive, reinstalling/downloading games as we speak. Very few discs, mostly all digital. Opted for a fresh install as opposed to a data transfer.

Quite so far. Disc or other wise, any cons to placing the pro vertically? Trying to consolidate space and standing Xbox One and PS4 Pro on the same shelf would be ideal if recommended.

Even though the Pro is noisy and a bit on the ugly side, there are a lot of good deals out for it that it'd make the decision pretty easy for me if I didn't already own a second gen PS4. The difference can be quite substantial if you appreciate improved image quality in your games (resolution and antialiasing). I'd personally go for the PS4 Pro. Plus it'll hold its value better if you ever decide to sell it (or trade it in on the PS5, whenver that comes out).

Another option could be just to hold onto your slim for now and then upgrade when an improved iteration of the Pro comes along in the next twelve months.

Whatever you decide though, you'll still come out a winner as the PS4 is an amazing game platform and both will look great on your new TV.

Last edited:

Malcolm9

The Pro is only noisy if it's given no room to breathe. I take mine out of my tv unit when playing and it's pretty quiet. Just make sure the back and sides have room to release the heat rather than keeping it cramped up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom