• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim or Pro

deathsaber

Do you have 4k tv? Is money no object?

I mean, obviously, with a 4k tv, you'll get a better experience with a Pro. Things are more marginal if you have a standard 1080p HDTV, IMO.

If you are sensitive to the "cost" of things, though, I would honestly say a slim is fine- it gets you playing ALL of the games, and big tech-heavy titles like Horizon, Uncharted 4 all look great and perform well on regular old PS4. They really haven't just abandoned the old hardware (nor should they when its like 80% of the hardware out there still being sold today). The games aren't gimped there, its just they are a little better on Pro.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Do you have 4k tv? Is money no object?

I mean, obviously, with a 4k tv, you'll get a better experience with a Pro. Things are more marginal if you have a standard 1080p HDTV, IMO.

If you are sensitive to the "cost" of things, though, I would honestly say a slim is fine- it gets you playing ALL of the games, and big tech-heavy titles like Horizon, Uncharted 4 all look great and perform well on regular old PS4. They really haven't just abandoned the old hardware (nor should they when its like 80% of the hardware out there still being sold today). The games aren't gimped there, its just they are a little better on Pro.

As I said earlier, the PS4 Pro has benefits not just for games. It has additional RAM so apps run better, the OS runs smoother and you can stream 4K video. The PS4 slim has no 4K support whatsoever. It's just dumb to skip those benefits when you actually have a 4K HDTV.

Unknown?

This is bullshit. The difference is night and day
Especially in Horizon and Gran Turismo. People are obviously saying this who haven’t experienced it in person or are the same people who claimed the couldn’t see a difference between 720p and 1080p?

Oemenia

Banned
This is true, and is an option, but I’d still want at least a PS4 slim in addition to not miss out on the PS4 exclusives. If that is an option, then yep, this would be the route I would go.
Forgot to mention that get a Slim but yes, Sony are killing it with exclusives

Rellik

As I said earlier, the PS4 Pro has benefits not just for games. It has additional RAM so apps run better, the OS runs smoother and you can stream 4K video. The PS4 slim has no 4K support whatsoever. It's just dumb to skip those benefits when you actually have a 4K HDTV.

I agree with your post apart from this. This is not my experience at all. The OS was smooth on my OG PS4 and it's a laggy POS on the Pro.

Raiden

Banned
It makes zero sense to have a nice 4K tv and buy a regular PS4. If you care so little about image quality you might as well sell your KS8000 and get a 1080p set for 1/3 the price.

m@cross

thanks for all the replies guys i am going to go for the slim, for $299 which is basically $230 with a $60 game it can't be beat. There's not enough difference to warrent spending the extra now I'm going to save that to either go for a Xbox One X if it looks like it's shaking out early Next year, or a PS5 when thats announced

err....

Should I buy an apple or a steak.....

Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Apple-Potato-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Apple-Apple-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Potato-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak-Steak

Apple it is!

Unknown?

Slim--Pro really isn't worth the price of admission, and you can use the savings towards getting a Switch or XBO:X.
$100 more isn’t worth a substantial upgrade on all Sony exclusives? Even on ones with a smaller bump are much cleaner. Watchdogs 2 was super clean compared to the slim version.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Slim

Pro doesn't give big enough jump

This is complete and utter bullshit. You're either trolling, or are just completely oblivious.

If you have a 4K tv, you are doing yourself a huge disservice by not getting a Pro. Look at games like Horizon Zero Dawn running on the Pro in 4K and tell me there's no jump. Get outta here with that ish.

DonF

As many others have said. If you have the TV and the money, the pro. If you are heavily invested in the PlayStation eco system and exclusives, then stick to it. If you want the very best there is, get a decent pc and plug it to the TV.

Cramoss

Just get the slim and save the rest for games or another system, it ain't that big of a jump honestly

Splinter

What is the best Trade-In deal going for trading in a regular PS4 (2015) for a PS4 Pro? What kind of pricing am I looking at for the trade in and the best PS4 Pro price and/or bundle?

slapnuts

Get the Pro. If you have a decent gaming PC, don't even bother with the Xbox One X ....just about everything that will be on it will be on Windows PC. Fortunately for me, I have a good gaming PC and PS4 Pro....best of both worlds because the PC is essentially an Xbox One X. Im so glad Microsoft decided to faithfully port all Xbox One (X) games to Windows.

Im just waiting on a Vega 56 AIB cards, gonna be bad ass card with DirectX 12 games.

PS: Currently have a Panasonic Plasma, The PS4 Pro looks excellent at 1080P with Super sampling and some better effects on a lot of games. I am waiting to go 4K next year...was gonna get a Sony 900e but with the new HDMI revision coming next year...its better to wait if you are in the market to buy a 4K TV. Oled 4k HDTVs will also have the next big push in improvements this coming year as well.

Boss Man

I've got the same TV, and yeah there were some wonky issues with HDR when the 4K "RGB" resolution setting was selected. Screen would randomly go black at times. There's another 4K resolution setting that doesn't exhibit the issue, and I couldn't see a difference (I think I read that it is not fully optimal). Don't let anyone convince you to just get another HDMI cable, it's not the cable.

Having said that, yeah it's still worth it if you have any inkling to play any of the 4K games. I usually try to convince people off of the Pro and say to get the Slim instead, but with a 4K TV it is definitely worth it.

Scarpad

ok an Update i picked up the slim bundle tonight and i've been playing it all night with WWII and i have to say i'm pretty happy. It fits under the tv like a glove i have the set on a stand and it slips right under the set. I put the 8000 on Game mode and COD WWI looks fantastic, no lag ansi'm pretty impressed with how the game looks running at 1080p and unconverted by the tv. Are there Jaggies sure but they are not bad at all don't notice when playing whatsoever. The slim is such a tight little console i'm pretty happy, i'll spend the extra money picking up a few games.

Nikodemos

If you plan on getting PSVR, go for the Pro.

If you want the best fit for your nice new 4k TV, Bone X.

If you have an old 1080p TV and want a console on the cheap, PS4 Slim.

If you have a large library of 360 games, go for the Bone S.

Norse

By the time the ps5 launches, you'll be wanting a newer improved 8k OLED tv with HDR extreme quad pixel lol

Pro without a doubt. For example, The Witcher 3 at 4K looks sublime in it, big upgrade over the base PS4. Plus, the frame-rate is more stable too!

Klik

By the time the ps5 launches, you'll be wanting a newer improved 8k OLED tv with HDR extreme quad pixel lol
I cant believe some people actually think ps5 is gonna be 8k while 4k tv arent even standard as of now (there are much more 1080p tv's out there than are 4k tv's and the price is still on the high side),as of now only top flagship gpu can run AAA 4k games.In 3years mid range cards will probably be able to run 4k games in medium-high settings while top flagship card on ultra 60fps.So in 3 years 4k will become mainstream and most people would be able to afford it without breaking huge budget. And there you are talking about 8k..You would need something like gtx 4080ti to run in 8k (maybe) for 5% of people who are even using 8k tv's.
The the OP-you have beastly 4k tv with HDR,in my honest opinion, for only 100$ more you should have went for Ps4 pro. Sometimes its good to pay just a bit more to get the right stuff,especially when you have 4k tv+hdr.

I'm waiting for a Pro revision / slim before upgrading my base PS4 (Darth Vader nerd edition... Might keep it forever for that reason). I want a Pro, but am good waiting until they release the next version that'll hopefully fix some of the quirks. If I were u and didnt already own a PS4, I'd probably get a Pro. But there's something to be said for the slim if u can snag it ultra cheap in a bundle deal on black Friday....

John Wick

The choice is easy get Pro. It makes sense as it's the more powerful of the two and compliments your TV better than the regular one. Here in the UK the Pro can be found for £350 with 4 games. On BF probably even cheaper. You've bought an expensive TV give it some justice

Top Bottom