• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Slim or Pro

Scarpad

I have a Samsung KS8000 and I know there have been issues with this set and the PS4 pro. I have a COD WWII bundle on order, i thought it was a great deal for both a console and the new game. I had a PS4 awhile ago but nothing since, I'm debating whether the improvements in the graphics are enough to warrant spending the extra money this lat in the game, the tv does an ok job upconverting 1080p, If a PS5 does eventually get released I figure the 4k power will eclipse the pro and I'd want to update.still conflicted whether i should spend the extra $150 now

I have a Samsung KS8000

Pro. Don't waste your time with the regular.

If I were getting one right now I'd get a Bone X though. Pro is a big upgrade from the regular but still disappointing outside of a few stars like Horizon.

dcx4610

Pro if you have the KS8000. The 4k and HDR are worth it. No point in having that TV if you aren’t going to use it’s features.

Unknown?

Pro if you hate jaggies. So many games have been cleaned up. Definitely with that Samsung it’ll look nice! Get GT Sport and be wowed too!

It’s only $100 more which can be a lot but if you have the money is worth a little extra.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Pro. The xbone x if you only play 3rd partied but with suchca small adoption will they all optimize or go pro level and call it a day?

Even if devs gave the 1X the same amount of effort as the pro, you would still see improvement because it would take more or the same amount of work to artificially gimp it to pro level.

For example MGS5 is 1440p in the pro, it would take the devs the same amount of effort setting the 1X version to say 1600p as it would for 1440p, so why wouldn't they?

Patrick S.

Banned
I'd be interested in a Pro for GT Sport, because on my slim the game stutters as soon as you are racing in a pack.

Gearskin

Neo Member
I have a Samsung KS8000 and I know there have been issues with this set and the PS4 pro. I have a COD WWII bundle on order, i thought it was a great deal for both a console and the new game. I had a PS4 awhile ago but nothing since, I'm debating whether the improvements in the graphics are enough to warrant spending the extra money this lat in the game, the tv does an ok job upconverting 1080p, If a PS5 does eventually get released I figure the 4k power will eclipse the pro and I'd want to update.still conflicted whether i should spend the extra $150 now

i have Ks8000 as well with Ps4 Pro, i would say yes since most game have higher res than regular, and ofcourse HDR on some, but if you want more native 4k Xbox one X is coming which i’m super excited!!

i hope my KS8000 would give me Xbox logo when i plug my 1X coz i don’t see it anymore... sad.

If I was buying a PS4 for the first time (or if I got rid of it and were buying again), I'd definitely get a Pro. Since I bought the PS4 at launch, I'm likely to skip the Pro completely at this point.

Oemenia

Banned
The Pro is a good deal more expensive, its big and ugly too. That money can be used instead to get a Scorpio.

The Pro is a good deal more expensive, its big and ugly too. That money can be used instead to get a Scorpio.

This is true, and is an option, but I’d still want at least a PS4 slim in addition to not miss out on the PS4 exclusives. If that is an option, then yep, this would be the route I would go.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
If you have a ks8000 I'm wondering why you wouldn't want the pro? Honest question why did you get a mid-high range TV if it wasn't for 4K and higher Fidelity content?

ty_hot

I dont get why the Pro costs 150 more than the slim. It should be 100 more comparing with the 500gb one and 50 more comparing with the 1tb version (which is the one anyone should take). So for 50 more, definetely get the Pro. For 100 more, get the Pro as well. But if it is really 150, then probably the slim.

SRTtoZ

Pro without a doubt. If you plan on playing The Last Guardian the frame rate is unplayable on the base PS4. Plus with all the exclusives already out and coming out 2018 you'll want to play the best versions of them. Only get the base PS4 if money is a big issue.

GlitchF5

Neo Member
Scorpio

...PRO if you don't mind a little noise.

Or, if you don't mind Skyrim Remaster running like crap. That's my only complaint with my PS4 Pro, some games that offer the 4K support just don't work or lag, or make it sound like my system is trying to blast off to Mars.

Vroadstar

Pro is an upgrade to slim if you already have 4KTV, so Pro is better and safer choice moving forward until PS5 hits.

PS4Pro

Getting the LG C7 this month most likely and why not get the PS4Pro as well?
So many amazing looking games coming out next year for PS4 - its only right to have the Pro w/ a 4K/HDR TV

If you have a headset that utilises the S/PDIF port (Optical) - then you'll need the Pro. There's none on the slim.

Other than that, if your happy to wait until the PS5 before moving onto 4K gaming - stick with the Slim.

Grinchy

Banned
55" ks8000 were going for 999$ and the 65" were only a couple hundred more.

oh ok the amazon link when I searched said the 65'' was $2700

Maybe it's because it's discontinued or something. Still, that's an awesome TV that should really have a Pro or an X attached to it.

norinrad

He didn't need a 4K TV either lol. Slim makes no sense for UHD owners unless you literally do not give any shit about image quality. 900p-1080p games vs. 1440p-2160c games is a no brainer.

Correct, Pro is worth it if you have a decent 4k tv to play with.

Scarpad

thanks for all the replies guys i am going to go for the slim, for $299 which is basically $230 with a $60 game it can't be beat. There's not enough difference to warrent spending the extra now I'm going to save that to either go for a Xbox One X if it looks like it's shaking out early Next year, or a PS5 when thats announced

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
thanks for all the replies guys i am going to go for the slim, for $299 which is basically $230 with a $60 game it can't be beat. There's not enough difference to warrent spending the extra now I'm going to save that to either go for a Xbox One X if it looks like it's shaking out early Next year, or a PS5 when thats announced

Everyone recommends the Pro and you go for the Slim.... Just wait a few weeks for a Black Friday deal. A couple of days ago you could buy a PS4 Pro Gran Turismo Sports bundle with an extra controller for 360 euro here in the Netherlands. With deals like these you'd be crazy not to buy a Pro..

Besides that, you do realize that the PS4 Slim doesn't have ANY 4K support at all? There's no 4K output so even streaming apps like Netflix are limited to 1080p on the regular PS4.

Top Bottom