• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold 21k units in Portugal in 2013

Andrefpvs

Just a quick thread for those who are interested in knowing sales data by country in Europe.

21 thousand units sold. Data is as of 31 December.

http://economico.sapo.pt/noticias/playstation-e-a-consola-mais-vendida-em-portugal_185320.html
http://bgamer.sapo.pt/index.php/not...ge-as-21-mil-unidades-em-territorio-portugues

Main points:
- Sold entire stock allocated to the country
- Sony are "working hard to replenish stock in January"
- The wording and the number of units imply Portugal barely made it as a launch country:
“Queremos agradecer a todos os fãs de PlayStation em Portugal a confiança que ao longo dos anos têm depositado na nossa marca. É graças a eles e para agradecer o seu apoio que tudo fizemos para lançar a PS4 em Portugal no mesmo dia em que saiu nos principais países europeus. (…) Portugal é muito importante para nós e vamos continuar a apostar no mercado português tal como temos feito até aqui”
Very quick translation:
"We want to thank all PlayStation fans in Portugal for the confidence they have placed in our brand over the years. It is thanks to them and their support that we did everything to launch the PS4 in Portugal on the same day it came out in the main European countries. (...) Portugal is very important to us and we will continue to invest in the Portuguese market as we have been doing"

For reference:
20k in 3 months for PS3.
5k in 3 months for PS2.
Close to nothing for PS1

No idea about PSP and Vita.

So yeah, this is pretty big.

The press release also says PS Vita was the best selling handheld console during the holiday season.

Dinjooh

Are you saying my country isn't important enough? Say that to my face!

New thread for new news

It is indeed important. I for one have never had better fish than when I went to Portugal.

Also, major drought throughout Europe. pls fix sony.

EGOMON

Portugal is one of the most hardcore Playstation supporters, gaming console there mean Playstation brand if they get more shipments it will be sold out in no time.

Skeff

As a Consumer I Think it's better to launch in more countries and spread stock thin than launch in less countries. My reasoning is that if your desperate for a PS4 and your country gets very few units, you can still get one, you just might have to queue a looong time.

The Boat

We had a thread about Sony's success in Portugal recently, it is Sonyland in here, so it's not surprising, especially since Sony has been doing good working marketing wise over here (and everywhere else I guess).

I have to say, I have seen PS4 lying in a few stores quite a few times though, so I don't think it's one of those cases where it's impossible to get one.

Beant

As a Consumer I Think it's better to launch in more countries and spread stock thin than launch in less countries. My reasoning is that if your desperate for a PS4 and your country gets very few units, you can still get one, you just might have to queue a looong time.

That is a good point. Making them harder to get ensures that they (on average) go to people that are actively seeking them out first, and these people are more likely to show their friends or spread good word of mouth.

Banned
Surprise they got that many.

How big is the gaming market in Portugal?
Considering our population is 10 million and a few million more in the Azores it's not big. Plus the exonomy is shit in Portugal right now. That's a decent number for them but its obvious if they sent more stock to Portugal they would have sold more.

The_Monk

Thank you (Obrigado) for posting fellow GAFfer, this is great news indeed. I got mine Day One at Midnight, felt great.

To quote James Armstrong, who is the vice-president from PlayStation Europe:

"We are very proud for Portugal being our best Market in the entire World."*

*This was from an article published on Dec. 8th (only have the link to the Portuguese interview)

Loudninja

Considering our population is 10 million and a few million more in the Azores it's not big. Plus the exonomy is shit in Portugal right now. That's a decent number for them but its obvious if they sent more stock to Portugal they would have sold more.
Ok thanks :)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
To quote James Armstrong, who is the vice-president from PlayStation Europe:

"We are very proud for Portugal being our best Market in the entire World."*

*This was from an article published on Dec. 8th (only have the link to the Portuguese interview)
That means the PS4 could only sell at most 21k per European country the PS4 launched in.

To the graphs!

yon61

No doubt that Sony are directing most of their efforts to North America at the expense of most of Europe and other small markets. Makes business sense of course, they know they have Europe in the bag already unlike NA.

qko

I know selling out is pretty big, but is this a lot for Portugal? Was the PS4 vastly understocked? Or is 21k a huge number for Portugal in the holiday season? I'm guessing the reason a lot of people are questioning why the new thread is that for a Portugal thread to suddenly pop up in GAF Sales thread, some of us newbies in these kinds of threads need a little more context.

Griss

Looking forward to Irish results. We're about just less than half the size of Portugal population-wise, so perhaps 10k would be a good barometer.

Thanks for the figures.

DieH@rd

Banned
Woohooo 1 new thread per country!

/facepalm

bish3dchjee.gif

Get your stats right. It´s 10 million counting with the Azores, which only has a population of around 500.000. I´m always shocked about how little the "rest" of the Portuguese people know about the Azores.

Considering a PS4 costs more than the monthly minimum wage in Portugal, this is quite impressive.

It doesn't but it's close.

We´re still Sonyland.

79% off all videogames bought in Portugal are for Playstation plataforms (translation from the article)

Portugal is the country where playstation has the biggest market share, I made a thread about it a while back.
A lot of people who want to buy it can't afford it though, things aren't looking good as we all know.

Top Bottom