• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does it say "In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process."

From what I can see, it seems like there is stock. Why would this message pop up?

Perhaps Amazon is already selling their next shipment of PS4's that they are due to receive within the next two days? Sounds about right considering how fast online PS4 stock seems to move in the US :)
I was thinking that maybe they'd taken so many orders over the weekend, they're concerned they may not physically be able to ship them all out on Monday.

Also, the "may take extra time" status removes the 1-day shipping option for Prime, so maybe that factors in as well. /shrug

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Wish I could buy one now. I hate being broke. :/

i_hug_that_feel.png

Fehyd

Banned
I'm definitely impressed. Would certainly be interesting if Sony beat MS for the month even with Titanfall. It'd be a big momentum setback for MS.

God damn it.

I have the money, but I just don't have the time.

Can you guys lend me some time? All I need is a few minutes here and there.

It's just a few minutes... please.

Yoda

I've never heard of the Amazon cart method thing. Has anyone been able to show its accurate? (i.e. it shows 1 left then be sold out?)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
What we are seeing here is all those consoles that seemed to go missing prior to the Japanese launch. Great move from Sony.

7 - 7.2 million units sold by the end of March is now possible.

FiggyCal

Banned
What kills me is how hard to find the PS4 camera still is.

Gamestop is the only place that has them in stock and is selling them for 70 bucks. That's 10 more than they were at launch.

I got my PS4 camera a month and a half before launch at my local GameStop. I don't know why I decided to pick it up but I did. Now to wait for a bowling game for it.

It was probably the Ice-T demo. I know it got me.

Yeah, I noticed they were selling them for 70 at GS. Gouging as usual.

I mean I'm not sweating it, I don't really need a camera right now anyway. Just thought it was crazy that Amazon never seem to have them in stock.

Stop being so melodramatic. It's a company selling goods, not a antagonistic invading army. PR Blunders are a fine way of describing the situation.

They do have a history with anti trust violations. They're a super aggressive company that doesn't always win cause they have the better product and that rubs people the wrong way.

Venturer

UK amazon currently at 979 Infamous Second Son Bundles

US amazon currently at 420 PS4's available

Looks like both had a pretty big shipment but likely to sell out with the next day or so.

FiggyCal

Banned
If it doesn't hit 600K by the end of March with MGS and to a smaller scale inFamous coming out, then my hope for the Japanese market decreases considerably.

The system has a lack of Japanese software. But I don't see why it wouldn't sell 250k in March just because stores aren't sold out. yet* we are 9 days into march.

I think this is a good comparison.

MGS4 did boost PS4s briefly for a month or two, but then it was back to business as usual.

Titanfall will probably have similar results, however what Microsoft has done is essentially dropped the price by adding in a game....so the increase in sales will have a lot to do with both Titanfall being released and a stealth price cut.

Will it be enough to bring it to parity with PS4? I have my doubts so long as Sony is able to provide ample supply for March, because it also has some decent titles being released with Metal Gear Solid and InFamous.

The issue with Titanfall is that we're no longer at a point where any given multiplayer game can dominate everyone's collective attention; Halo was able to do that, CoD was able to do that. Gears, for a brief time, was able to do that because there wasn't much competition at the time.

But now? There's so many multiplayer games out there vying for people's attention, you really have to produce something extraordinary to really stand out and have great longevity and push a system well beyond its initial launch month.

I think Titanfall is going to sell largely to people that already own Xbox One's rather than being a big system seller in the months ahead.

MGS4 was a true exclusive. Titanfall is coming out on two other platforms with way larger install bases. Also a lot of people figure Titanfall will eventually come to the ps4. So I don't think it's a fair comparison.

MGS4 was a true exclusive. Titanfall is coming out on two other platforms with way larger install bases. Also a lot of people figure Titanfall will eventually come to the ps4. So I don't think it's a fair comparison.

They're also completely different games. MGS4 is a SP game focused on storytelling in an era where MP games dominate. Titanfall has the potential to be so much bigger. Titanfall has also received an incredible amount of hype, deserved or not, and is actually coming very early in the generation.

The last point is really reaching. Most people on here seemed convinced that the same would happen with MGS4. I doubt the average gamer really thinks that at all and even then it won't be for ages.

Titanfall has the potential to have way, way more impact than MGS4. It may flop or just sell average but imo it has the potential to have a bigger impact just by nature of the type of game it is.

But now? There's so many multiplayer games out there vying for people's attention, you really have to produce something extraordinary to really stand out and have great longevity and push a system well beyond its initial launch month.

So just out of interest what are these big multiplayer games on the xbone and PS4 right now? Titanfall is coming out before that MP audience has been gobbled up.

Also your second sentence is exactly what people are arguing. The hype around titanfall is because it is supposed to something that really stands out and that's why it is being talked up. The question is whether or not it lives up to the hype.

Edit: That's super off topic in a thread about PS4 sales though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom