• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Tomb Raider runs at 60 fps

So the ps4 is 60 fps with drops and xbone is 30? I don't know, that's a pretty significant difference.

I think that we're unsure about what the XBox One is right now. People at that event only mentioned that PS4 version, so I guess the Xbox One version wasn't being demoed.

Tabular

Banned
What-a-twist.jpg

I sure hope master race is putting at least a toe in their collective mouth.

Tehe

that's the executive producer for the game is it not?

i dunno why he of all people would slip up, if it is a slip up like other people think.

It's probably not full 60 FPS, they probably do the same thing that Killzone Shadowfall does and have the frame rate be unlocked. So while it may run at 60 FPS on some parts it will probably average at something like 45 FPS or something.

The Executive Producer, Scott Amos, said the PS4 is running at 60 fps. He even mentions that there was some misinformation spread around beforehand claiming it was 30 fps.

Anteater

Outside of tressFX which was really terribly optimized on the pc the game actually ran well, good to see it running at a good framerate on consoles with tressfx and improved lighting.

mechphree

I think that we're unsure about what the XBox One is right now. People at that event only mentioned that PS4 version, so I guess the Xbox One version wasn't being demoed.

So nobody had any info. That's weird, I was pretty sure both versions would be locked at 30 .

VanWinkle

This is interesting.

GamesRadar guy: "Frames per second?"
Developer: "...So, this is the PS4 version, running at 60fps."
GamesRadar guy: "Yeah, if I were to have guessed I would have said 60."

The fact that he mentioned the PS4 version despite not even being asked what version it was makes me think that it will be only the PS4 version that is 60.

Also later talks about being misquoted, and that they wanted a minimum of 30fps, not a locked. He then says, "And, I mean, as you can see here, on PS4 we're pretty much running at 60."

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
This guy is the Exec Producer of the game. He pretty definitively stated it.
The guy in the video is also a producer. He was at the VGX.
59 minutes in he goes on at length how the quote was misconstrued. And the game is 60 fps. (Obviously not hitting it 100% of the time according to reports.)

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I think this may be evidence PS4 version is getting forced to 30fps for parity with the XBO

Or maybe just marketing parity? "You have to give no preference to either version even if they are actually different in reality"? I can see MS demanding that.

hwy_61

Banned
I'll also wait for more confirmation. The way this man said it on the twitch stream didn't sound too confident haha

LTWood12

Possible that PS4 version unpatched will run at 30 to have 'parity' at launch? Then patch 1.01 unlocks the framerate?

It's probably not full 60 FPS, they probably do the same thing that Killzone Shadowfall does and have the frame rate be unlocked. So while it may run at 60 FPS on some parts it will probably average at something like 45 FPS or something.

It's unlocked, but it doesn't sound like a KZ situation

Disclaimer: I do not recall PR saying it was 60fps, or any FPS for that matter, so please don't take my word as fact. However, as I was playing other games there as well, the Tomb Raider build on PlayStation 4 definitely looked 60fps with slight dips by comparison to other titles on show and my own experience with 60fps titles. If someone were to ask me "What framerate was Tomb Raider HD on PS4 running?" I wouldn't hesitate to say "Targeting and seemingly usually hitting 60fps".

No, I mean, I don't understand where the reports of "Tomb Raider runs at 30fps" are coming from when having seen and played the PlayStation 4 build today it seemed on average to be far closer if not sitting on 60fps. The framerate is unlocked in the sense that it's not locked 60fps; it did have some dips. But the dips were pretty small of the little I played/saw. I like to think I know a 30fps game when I see it, and this did not look 30fps. It looked 60fps, or very close to.

This is interesting.

GamesRadar guy: "Frames per second?"
Developer: "...So, this is the PS4 version, running at 60fps."
GamesRadar guy: "Yeah, if I were to have guessed I would have said 60."

The fact that he mentioned the PS4 version despite not even being asked what version it was makes me think that it will be only the PS4 version that is 60.

So that guy really is a developer and not just some PR guy, that could be wrong?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This guy is the Exec Producer of the game. He pretty definitively stated it.
That's what I said in my first post, but I'd love a confirmation about a steady 60fps, since the fear of a variable/unlocked has been increasingly haunting.

Hexa

Holy crap.

"Our absolute minimum was 1080p30fps"
"As you can see over here on the PS4 it's running at 60"

That seems a lot like a subtle nod that the PS4 is higher than XBone.

wait... WHAT! He said that their minimum was 30fps (but NOT locked at 30fps) and he confirmed that what he was playing was actually running at 60fps. So, there might be occasional frame drops, but not below 30fps.

Cool. I wasn't going to double dip if it was 30fps. Now I've changed my mind .

Top Bottom