• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Update 2.50 “Yukimura” Preview: Suspend/Resume and More

androvsky

Counting the days until I can tell Ragdoll Kung Fu to take a hike.
My wife like to keep her profile clean, so only games she plans to platinum or 100% go on it. Imagine my feelings when I realized I started up Mass Effect 1 on her profile by accident to show it to someone.

Soon, she will be able to use that PS3 again.

In that video I see you can set frame rate and video quality for remote play. I think what I said before was right. I said that most people would likely have to choose one or the other. If you want the full 60FPS, the video quality might have to be decreased, whereas if you want full video quality, you might need to turn a 60FPS game back down to 30FPS, essentially using remote play as it is now. I'm sure people with blazingly fast connections will be able to use both. I hope I'm wrong and everyone can use their current setups and still get full video quality and full 60FPS, but I'm not counting on it.

Counting the days until I can tell Ragdoll Kung Fu to take a hike.

Will you be able to do this with PS3 games? I know you can't do it on PS3 itself, since it'd need its own firmware update, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to do so from your PS4. Can we even view PS3 trophies on PS4 to begin with?

vypek

So this probably won't work in Destiny, right?

(inb4 destiny isn't an mmo)

I wouldn't think it would. But its possible it will work so if you are in a match it will be just the same as if you are away from the controller. Or perhaps for online matchmaking it would act as if you lost a connection and boot you back to a different menu.

I wouldn't think it would. But its possible it will work so if you are in a match it will be just the same as if you are away from the controller. Or perhaps for online matchmaking it would act as if you lost a connection and boot you back to a different menu.

Anybody know how it currently works (or doesn't) on XB1?

David___

Banned
Will you be able to do this with PS3 games? I know you can't do it on PS3 itself, since it'd need its own firmware update, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to do so from your PS4. Can we even view PS3 trophies on PS4 to begin with?

Yes. It displays all the trophy lists you synced to the account.

CzarTim

It's in the "accessibility" section so it's in the OS. It will be cross-game, universal.

That's a shame. I have a disability so this is a big feature for me, but it's usually on a game-by-game basis. For example in Helldivers I struggle to input stratagen codes while holding in the L1 key, so I'd simply like to swap L1 and R1. That's only an issue in Helldivers though.

Oh well, I guess I can just swap the controls real quick when switching games.

Curufinwe

My wife like to keep her profile clean, so only games she plans to platinum or 100% go on it. Imagine my feelings when I realized I started up Mass Effect 1 on her profile by accident to show it to someone.

Soon, she will be able to use that PS3 again.

I'm like that, so the only 0% on my profile is Playroom. And I set that to private so it doesn't show up on sites like PSNprofiles. But I'll get the camera one day and earn some of those troohies.

Mikey Jr.

Music Unlimited is shitting down on March 29th.

Spotify will be probably be up the next day, so I wouldn't be surprised if the new patch has hooks for Spotify, so that might be when they release the patch?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just watch the video, as I thought this update adds nothing
Why they had a video is beyond me as there's nothing to show

PS, I know suspend and resume is important to some but it could have been added in a .1 update rather then being use as a big update with nothing else, for someone like me who just turns off his PS4 like a lot of people do
The difference between the previous firmware and this one is nothing, for a big update
That sucks.

PS, I know suspend and resume is important to some but it could have been added in a .1 update rather then being use as a big update with nothing else, for someone like me who just turns off his PS4 like a lot of people do
The difference between the previous firmware and this one is nothing, for a big update
That sucks.

I don't want this thing or care about this thing so this thing isn't a big deal to anyone.

A subversion update for something system-wide like suspend/resume? Really?

TGO

I don't want this thing or care about this thing so this thing isn't a big deal to anyone.

A subversion update for something system-wide like suspend/resume? Really?
You're over exaggerating it's importance, its a system wide feature that no one will notice except for when they switch off their system and see the option.
You do realise a majority of people don't even put their PS4 in rest mode.
As I said, I understand the importance to "some" but it's not worthy of being the star of 2.50, and as there's nothing else (button config is cool thou) it's rather a poor update
And yes I've seen better stuff come out of a subversion update on PS3, PS4 updates have been really poor, themes are rather basic too.
3.00 better be a massive update

Do you remember what the PS4 is suppose to be?simple, immediate, social, integrated and personalised
Yeah they got the simple and social bit right and now its more immediate.
But inteintegrated? Everything is a app
Personalised? They're joking right?

tensuke

That sucks.

There's a lot of things coming in this update that will be helpful to a lot of users, I'm not sure what your problem is with it? Who cares what the version number of the update is?

You're over exaggerating it's importance, its a system wide feature that no one will notice except for when they switch off their system and see the option.
As I said, I understand the importance to "some" but it's not worthy of being the star of 2.50, and as there's nothing else (button config is cool thou) it's rather a poor update
And yes I've seen better stuff come out of a subversion update on PS3, PS4 updates have been really poor, themes are rather basic too.
You're going to need a source to back that up.

Moozo

That sucks.

Just imagine it has a different number then

ShutterMunster

Do you remember what the PS4 is suppose to be?simple, immediate, social, integrated and personalised
Yeah they got the simple and social bit right and now its more immediate.
But inteintegrated? Everything is a app
Personalised? They're joking right?

You sitting on some numbers for this fact?

Derpyduck

Banned

That sucks.

I would wager most people don't just turn off their PS4s. Thanks to the stupidly short battery life of the controllers, my PS4 is almost always in Rest mode charging the controller.

Shirow

Banned
Wow. This sounds like an awesome update!

I'm looking forward to a lot of those features mostly suspend resume. I have my vita for remote play ready as well.

TGO

There's a lot of things coming in this update that will be helpful to a lot of users, I'm not sure what your problem is with it? Who cares what the version number of the update is?
I just want people to aim higher with what they want from the system, this was something that should have been there at launch, and I glad it's here but it should have been an additional feature to new features not the main one.

yazanov

Banned
I just want people to aim higher with what they want from the system, this was something that should have been there at launch, and I glad it's here but it should have been an additional feature to new features not the main one.

Why don't you list those "important" features then.

tensuke

I agree it should have been there since launch, but the fact is it wasn't and it took this long to get it out there. It's still a major feature, though, so I don't see a problem with it headlining the update. I don't see the point in caring about the version number, just about the features in the update. If they later do a UI overhaul, a custom theming system, etc., I don't care if it's 3.0, 2.6, 2.51, etc. I just care about what features are implemented. There are still plenty of features I'd like to see, but as long as they're added--the sooner the better, obviously--I'm happy.

As far as expectations from a major version number, I think you're underestimating how many people would rather use suspend/resume or use rest mode. The PS4 uses so little power in rest mode, not to mention you can still power/charge usb devices and it'll download updates/games for you, there's almost no reason to turn it off rather than put it into rest mode if you're not moving it.

TGO

Why don't you list those "important" features then.
The instant demo for every game on the PSStore is one
DLNA support is another, Local storage and USB storage with MP3/video playback is a another
Setting you own Wallpapers should have wiggled its way into 2.50 but it hasn't, but I guess you need a photo gallery for that, yet another feature thats missing.
No support for any pior Playstation game, even digital is terrible.
Assist Play was promised too.
The UI need updating, library need updating too.

Why dwell on the " should of " ?

It wasn't. But now it is about to be. What point is it bringing up that it wasn't on the system at launch?

Everyone can be happy that the feature will soon be available.

DLNA support is another, Local storage and USB storage with MP3/video playback is a another
Setting you own Wallpapers should have wiggled its way into 2.50 but it hasn't, but I guess you need a photo gallery for that, yet another feature thats missing.

shareplay = assist play. and none of those features are more important than suspend/resume when the entire user base of the ps4 is considered. you use dlna, therefore dlna is more important? ok!

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781

Comparing this with your previous comments, it's safe to say you're trolling us.

TGO

Why dwell on the " should of " ?

It wasn't. But now it is about to be. What point is it bringing up that it wasn't on the system at launch?

Everyone can be happy that the feature will soon be available.
I did say I'm glad it's here now, it's just a shame they didn't include anything else.

Edit I don't use DLNA actually but I know it's wanted

GutZ31

There is something you must be waiting on to not see any value in this update.
The accessibility functions alone are pretty massive in my eyes.

The auto screenshot feature seems pretty neat as well, and I hope to see more of it my self.
As there are quite a few people that actually do put their systems into rest mode, the long awaited feature of suspend/resume is nothing small either.
The main draw of using rest mode at all is to be able to download update files while you are away at work, come home, and just get to playing.

I understand that some people don't do this, maybe because they have extremely fast internet, or they just don't mind waiting for updates to download, but it is time wasted for those that just want to come home and game.

On Demand

Banned
I agree with, TGO. Suspend is the only major feature and it's something i will never use since i always turn off my PS4. I'm not wasting energy on that.

PS4 still needs other things like video, music, a pictures saved to the HDD. XB1 had these a long time ago. The browser needs improving too to make it easier to use. The UI needs work, instead they made it worse by unnecessarily putting the PS store icon on the already long row section. Is it an app now? So dumb.

Please, please, Sony hire some ex Apple, Google, and MS software designers to work on the PS4. Shut that shit in Japan down.

GutZ31

I agree with, TGO. Suspend is the only major feature and it's something i will never use since i always turn off my PS4. I'm not wasting energy on that.

PS4 still needs other things like video, music, a pictures saved to the HDD. XB1 had these a long time ago. The browser needs improving too to make it easier to use. The UI needs work, instead they made it worse by unnecessarily putting the PS store icon on the already long row section. Is it an app now? So dumb.

Please, please, Sony hire some ex Apple, Google, and MS software GUI designers to work on the PS4. Shut that shit in Japan down.
Fixed that for you.

On Demand

Banned
Fixed that for you.

Pretty much the same thing.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like the way the UI looks. It's a huge improvement over the xmb imo. It just needs some things done to make it better. Adding the store to it is not one of those things. I find it funny because people complained about the row becoming too long. Sony made the limit to 15. Now they go and add something else to it which is pinned and doesn't fall into your library. logic 101.

teddymeow

The ability to remove games that I've earned 0% Trophies on is great. Can finally delete evidence of me playing some real stinkers!

GutZ31

Pretty much the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_user_interface

Yup, just like a game is just software, or an app is just software, or a new feature is just software.
Everything is software that is coded/decoded virtually.

GUI is more about the presentation, the look, the feel, how you interact with the rest of the software in the OS.
Your post was more in line with a GUI update than just a random "software" update that could mean almost anything.
An OS(operating system) update would also have been more descriptive.

But enough of me being a stickler, I agree with your wanted changes.

Best part of the update for me.

rHOCdq7.png

Uploading a clip and only being able to hear your own voice on it sucks. Everyone needs to allow this!

That's been in for ages though

On Demand

Banned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_user_interface

Yup, just like a game is just software, or an app is just software, or a new feature is just software.
Everything is software that is coded/decoded virtually.

GUI is more about the presentation, the look, the feel, how you interact with the rest of the software in the OS.
Your post was more in line with a GUI update than just a random "software" update that could mean almost anything.
An OS(operating system) update would also have been more descriptive.

But enough of me being a stickler, I agree with your wanted changes.

Ok. I'm just use to calling these things software. I know there's specific differences but to me software can be used in speaking about a interface too. Sony even calls it "system software update."

GutZ31

Ok. I'm just use to calling these things software. I know there's specific differences but to me software can be used in speaking about a interface too. Sony even calls it "system software update."

Yeah, it is called "System Firmware Update" on vita, but for some reason it will say software update on PS4 initially, until you go to update, then it calls it what it actually is; Update PS4 Firmware 2.XX.

The problem is that firmware is like, as an analogy; if you got a random update for a game.

That update could be to fix a bug, or a user interface problem, or a texture issue, frame rate bump, added features to the game.

Firmware can mean anything just like a random game update.

So for them to call it just System Software Update, it isn't wrong, but it doesn't really tell you what is being worked on even if they did call it Firmware, until you read the notes.

Top Bottom