PS4 won't recognize USB drive?

Jan 25, 2014
Trying to transfer some videos I recorded of some games to an external flash drive for a project in my AI Class. I keep getting an error saying that the storage device is not connected. I formatted the flash drive to a FAT32 format and put a folder named Video on it, but nothing is popping up. I tried all three the two USB ports and nothing shows up.

The steps I am taking to copy the video are going into System Storage Management -> Capture Gallery -> <Video Game> -> Video -> Options Button -> Copy to External USB Drive.

Flash drive is a PNY Attache 16 GB. PS4 is up to date with the newest firmware. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 25, 2014
Just out of curiosity, what's your assignment about lol?
The prompt was to analyze algorithms of AI implemented in things we use in our every day lives. I chose to study perception in stealth video games, so I recorded some small 15 sec clips from MGSV and TLOU for my presentation.

Formatting to exFAT now and will add a VIDEO folder.

Mar 31, 2014
The prompt was to analyze algorithms of AI implemented in things we use in our every day lives. I chose to study perception in stealth video games, so I recorded some small 15 sec clips from MGSV and TLOU for my presentation.

Formatting to exFAT now and will add a VIDEO folder.
It should automatically create a PS4 -> Captures -> Video folder if one doesn't exist.

Is there a reason why Sony still doesn't allow NTFS on their consoles?
NTFS (New Technology File System) is a proprietary file system developed by Microsoft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS

That did the trick, thanks DayEnder! :)

Why didn't FAT32 work but exFat worked? When I quickly browsed Google for people who had similar issues, formatting it to FAT32 worked for them.
Not sure why. exFAT is better (and more current) than FAT32, and it actually takes bigger files size than FAT32 so you're better off that way.

Why would you want your USB drive to be NTFS? The only real benefit is the 4 GB+ file size limit.
exFAT solves this. You don't need NTFS unless you're strictly using Microsoft products. I format all my drives to exFAT because I have 50+ GB files that I want to be able to run on Mac, PC and other OS without any issues. exFAT is practically universally supported just like FAT.

Apr 8, 2014
exFAT solves this. You don't need NTFS unless you're strictly using Microsoft products. I format all my drives to exFAT because I have 50+ GB files that I want to be able to run on Mac, PC and other OS without any issues. exFAT is practically universally supported just like FAT.
Totally, I had just added that via edit. There's really no reason for NTFS for the USB drive, it limits compatibility severely.