• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

doofy102

Still don't get the outrage. Sony isn't going to abandon 40 million ps4s.

No, they're just going to make them all look bad. People enjoy that feeling of owning the "best" console. Sony "promised" them that the PS4 would give them that feeling for a long time.

StoopKid

I think that we need a poll for this with 4 options

It's a great idea , i will buy it

It's a great idea , but i will not buy it

It's a bad idea , but i will buy it

It's a bad idea , and i will not buy it

If someone has the right access here, pleaso do so.

This is gaf. It's a bad idea and I will not buy it will win.

No, they're just going to make them all look bad.

Until we actually see a game look considerably worse I can't get mad.

NinjaBoiX

Can I just say thank god I waited to buy a PS4? Or should I say PS4K. :p
I seriously don't get this. Like, the fact that in a mere 12 months you get to buy a superior system? Um, just like the rest of us?

"I'm glad I missed the last two years, because now all I have to do it wait half as long again."

What?

hesido

I don't see what's the problem with this.

2x the GPU power and (most likely) 1x CPU power has never and would NEVER constitute a generation jump. How are some of you saying "this is pretty much a PS5!!111"?

No, if anything, it is a PS4i in the vein of Nintendo handhelds' revisions, only making use of these extra capabilities should be much easier.

If the game is CPU limited: ++resolution
If the game is GPU limited: ++framerate

I don't see many people claiming this is PS5.

They are offering marginal gains of performance vs a true PS5, which won't suddenly make PS games super awesome but will be enough make PS4 versions shittier affairs over time. They are splitting the userbase for little gains, they are putting second thoughts in people who have pre ordered PSVR.

If there wasn't a PS4.5, PS4 games would be honed to perfection at the end of a 6-7 year cycle, whereas now, they will go suckier by the day as they will be more and more tailored to PS4.5 which will be gaining user base. I'll be very surprised if that's not going to be the case.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

For all we know a regular ps4 game will be at 1080p and 4K on the new hardware.

That just isn't happening. 4K is 4x the pixels of 1080p, a mere 2x GPU power increase isn't going to allow that without other sacrifices. I'd bet almost anything on 1080p still being the base resolution for games on the PS4K.

Jimrpg

My question to GAF is - is the Mark Czerny design of the PS4 a good one?

My answer: No, it was underpowered to begin with and with the shift of all third parties going multi platform, the PS4 couldn't really compete with PC, especially when you have gaming sites constantly hailing PC as the best version all the time.

doofy102

I seriously don't get this. Like, the fact that in a mere 12 months you get to buy a superior system? Um, just like the rest of us?

"I'm glad I missed the last two years, because now all I have to do it wait half as long again."

What?

But he doesn't get screwed.

I don't get you.

I completely understand and share many of your fears, even though I will likely buy the PS4K day one. My negative outlook is more on the future repercussions and ramifications of this strategy, which I feel are less consumer friendly, and offer less value proposition per hardware cycle.

To answer your question, I think the reason Sony would risk it is not only to better enable the PSVR, but also to try it's hand at a release cycle that more closely resembles other technologies, simply because it has the potential to be more profitable for them. More hardware revisions, shorter cycles, less subsidisation, more crossover etc. Not sure yet if it will pay off, but we shall see. They certainly also have the potential here to squander a lot of their goodwill, and make consumers feel somewhat less confident in console purchases going forward.

You've basically listed my concerns and the goodwill I have for Sony will suffer for this, I've had to buy my 2nd ps4 last month after my other broke. I really need to consider the value of buying their VR now, as if the SDK is already with developers and that's what they're building from then I'm going to be getting seeing a 2nd grade effort for my premium outlay.

Business is business and I know if I let my customers feel like they are getting half my attention then they go to my competition, sadly that competition in this case is MS and it looks like they want the same scenario. Looks like I'm a PC gamer now then.

Regarding iterative Apple launches, I use an iPhone 6 my wife a 6s the quality of my calls are the same as hers and the primary facet of a phone is to make a call, even secondary functions like browsing aren't affected by their slight increases. Based in the OP were talking significant changes to the consoles ability and developers will obviously embrace that. I don't believe this is the same as Apple real easing a slightly tweaked phone.

No, they're just going to make them all look bad. People enjoy that feeling of owning the "best" console. Sony "promised" them that the PS4 would give them that feeling for a long time.

That's pretty much true.
No matter how many people on Gaf call others dumb for not wanting this I think a lot of people outside this bubble will be kinda to really pissed off.

The murmurings of discontent and outrage I'm already seeing on YT and other places is evident. Sony have to execute their messaging flawlessly.

Interesting very interesting Sony.Guess it's your move Microsoft. Having said that I've cancelled my PSVR order from Amazon as I'll just wait for a Ps4k bundle now.

Or I may just jump in on PC VR,and fingers crossed new Graphics Card.

I really can't see me buying a new console each year though if that's how there going to do it.

wapplew

Get it or not, an outrage is an outrage, its doesn't have to be reasonable.
This will bring ill will, Sony need to address that or else PR nightmare that killed Xbox one will happen to Sony.

Markoman

Also the evidence continues to mount against the PSVR being pretty dead on the PS4.

If the GTX 970 is the bare minimum for a reasonable VR experience, then its crazy to expect that the PS4 which has a 750 Ti equivalent card to put out similar experiences.

Yeah, please correct me if I'm wrong, but even the PS4K won't be able to run a game
like the new DOOM, Deus Ex, Dishonored 2, Horizon..... with 2x1080, 90FPS at same graphics settings.

If they don't manage to get games with some depth for VR, it'll be another Wii, Kinect, Move situation - just funny short burst experiences. Only difference here is that I do expect VR to fully deliver on PC, because in theory they can have every AAA game runnig in VR.
Even with PS4K PSVR will feel like the poor man's version compared to PC. Sony has gotten themselves into a hardware arms-race they simply can't win. Let's hope that they will at least have the Wii sports equivalent for VR.

Also the evidence continues to mount against the PSVR being pretty dead on the PS4.

If the GTX 970 is the bare minimum for a reasonable VR experience, then its crazy to expect that the PS4 which has a 750 Ti equivalent card to put out similar experiences.

Not really, from what we've heard and seen so far, PSVR seems pretty damn good graphically and immersively.

Jimrpg

That just isn't happening. 4K is 4x the pixels of 1080p, a mere 2x GPU power increase isn't going to allow that without other sacrifices. I'd bet almost anything on 1080p still being the base resolution for games on the PS4K.

The OP didn't really make much sense, sounded like someone in the marketing team...

They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster.

Twice as fast as the PS4 (similar to a 750 Ti), isn't really that powerful at all, and puts it near a GTX 960, which can do 1080p/60 at medium settings, or maybe 4k/30 at low settings. GPUBoss comparison of a 750 Ti vs 960

StoopKid

This will bring ill will, Sony need to address that or else PR nightmare that killed Xbox one will happen to Sony.

give me a break.

Ps4 is at number 9 on Amazon best sellers right now. The majority of people aren't going to wait a entire year for a new ps4.

To answer your question, I think the reason Sony would risk it is not only to better enable the PSVR, but also to try it's hand at a release cycle that more closely resembles other technologies, simply because it has the potential to be more profitable for them. More hardware revisions, shorter cycles, less subsidisation, more crossover etc. Not sure yet if it will pay off, but we shall see. They certainly also have the potential here to squander a lot of their goodwill, and make consumers feel somewhat less confident in console purchases going forward.

I agree with your reasoning, I really doubt Sony or MS don't look at the smartphone market and go holy shit we could be doing that. They do also have a direct competition in the PC that the smartphones don't AND it could even help sell steam machines because of the service and price of the games. One thing they have to differentiate themselves is the exclusive library, sadly the PS4 has by far the weakest exclusive library in PS history so that could hurt them with the fanbase even more.

Yet, it could work. Maybe it's the Nintendo fan in me saying this, but they could really use a gimmick. Something like backwards compatibility with PS1 and PS2 titles and I'm not sure that's doable (I left the PS3 out because I know it's really not doable lol), but it would do wonders. Not what they're doing with PS2 Classics, downright backwards compatibility, insert the game you own and it works. That is sadly probably impossible, but it would erase much of the bad impression this is inevitably going to have on part of their fanbase.

I don't think it going to be that hard .
Sony just have to explain that consoles going to be just like all other consumer electronics.
People don't seem to mind that everything else has tiers .

1er tigre

Sony doesnt have to listen to people who knows absolutely nothing about business and buy things for the wrong reasons (equality between all players and not the fun or the games), so yeah, good luck : /
Or perhaps people who want to buy things for good reasons like playing games which run well on their hardware and not games which will run like shit because they will be optimised for the New model of the console. (you know that this is what is going to happen).

Mabufu

Banned

My answer: No, it was underpowered to begin with and with the shift of all third parties going multi platform, the PS4 couldn't really compete with PC, especially when you have gaming sites constantly hailing PC as the best version all the time.

I think all the millions PS4 sold prove you wrong.
Almost everyone who bough a PS4 knew already that it couldnt compete with PCs, and they didnt want it to, and they are happy with it.

Or perhaps people who want to buy things for good reasons like playing games which run well on their hardware and not games which will run like shit because they will be optimised for the New model of the console. (you know that this is what is going to happen).

I dont know if it's gonna happen, even if I can think of it. What I do know is that we already have a lot of sub-30 fps games.
So maybe the difference will not be that big.

Mezoly

That's pretty much true.
No matter how many people on Gaf call others dumb for not wanting this I think a lot of people outside this bubble will be kinda to really pissed off.

The murmurings of discontent and outrage I'm already seeing on YT and other places is evident. Sony have to execute their messaging flawlessly.

Yup. Go to /r/ps4, IGN, and YT comments and see how most are not happy with this rumor. Heck if you follow Shuhui on ps4 and see the comments on his trophy posts you will also see that people don't want this.

kirby_fox

Banned

It could also run games so poorly on the older systems that it becomes unplayable. Imagine a title that can only hit 30 fps on PS4K, on the original PS4 I don't even want to know what you'd get.

We could also see exclusives start showing up on it. Imagine the outrage if the last guardian was exclusive to the new systems only.

AzaK

PC devs scale all the time. It's not going to be that difficult to have games that run on both, and I hope Sony mandates it. If they don't that's a problem.

Also, good that the NX will be about PS4 level - that will put it ahead of the bunch...

If the PS4 was an open source PC that was among the countless of other generic PC configurations you would be correct and Oculus & Vive wouldn't work. But it's not, and they're countless PSVR games and demos that has been shown for the last two years that's only a Google search away and would debunk whatever "evidence" that proves otherwise.

It could also run games so poorly on the older systems that it becomes unplayable. Imagine a title that can only hit 30 fps on PS4K, on the original PS4 I don't even want to know what you'd get.

We could also see exclusives start showing up on it. Imagine the outrage if the last guardian was exclusive to the new systems only.

That is not going to happen .
They will just drop the effects , framerate or res like they do now.
The system is only twice as powerful we are not talking a true gen jump.

Jimrpg

Yeah, please correct me if I'm wrong, but even the PS4K won't be able to run a game
like the new DOOM, Deus Ex, Dishonored 2, Horizon..... with 2x1080, 90FPS at same graphics settings.

If they don't manage to get games with some depth for VR, it'll be another Wii, Kinect, Move situation - just funny short burst experiences. Only difference here is that I do expect VR to fully deliver on PC, because in theory they can have every AAA game runnig in VR.
Even with PS4K PSVR will feel like the poor man's version compared to PC. Sony has gotten themselves into a hardware arms-race they simply can't win. Let's hope that they will at least have the Wii sports equivalent for VR.

Going by OP's post, with the PS4k being twice as powerful, you are not wrong. It will be running similar to a GTX 960, or at best GTX 970. A 970 isn't too bad, but we're already expected to hear news next week about a 970/980 successor, ie 1070/1080... so its already behind the 8-ball.

Not really, from what we've heard and seen so far, PSVR seems pretty damn good graphically and immersively.

But if PSVR comes out in Oct, and PS4k comes out in Q1 2017, Id expect them most of the PSVR stuff to be PS4k only simply because I think the PS4 is too underpowered to handle VR. 60fps isn't that great of an experience in VR as both the rift and Vive are targeting 90fps.

Mezoly

PC devs scale all the time. It's not going to be that difficult to have games that run on both, and I hope Sony mandates it. If they don't that's a problem.

Also, good that the NX will be about PS4 level - that will put it ahead of the bunch...

Different configurations increases bugs and reduces optimization.

Mr_Moogle

No they weren't, GC had the worse versions of most games framerate wise. Games that lead on ps2 ran fine and we're not gimped, it's just the xbox versions were better, only games that pushed the xbox were shit on ps2 and GC because they didn't have proper shader support, look at GC residents evil 4 vs ps2 residents evil 4, the ps2 version was still one of the best looking game on the system.

Games tend to look best on the console they we're designed for. The Gamecube getting some shitty ports doesn't mean it was a less powerful console. It points to the fact the console wasn't as popular though.

grimmiq

Hopefully the difference is just 30 vs 60fps + bells and whistles (like hair tech), that being said I feel I've gotten my money's worth out of my launch PS4 so will likely upgrade day 1.

Putting a change bucket inside my front door when the PS4 was first announced helped a great deal, only had to pay off about 20% of the launch price, this time around it should be more than enough. Could be a huge asshole and pay for it with 20/50c coins...

wapplew

Yup. Go to /r/ps4, IGN, and YT comments and see how most are not happy with this rumor. Heck if you follow Shuhui on ps4 and see the comments on his trophy posts you will also see that people don't want this.

Well, PS4.5 already spawn over 300 pages of controversy/discussion between Kotaku, Eurogamer/ WSJ thread.
This is big PR problem.

Ok, then when Microsoft releases their new console, or the Nintendo does with the NX and it's potentially stronger? Then what? I just don't understand this argument. That's not the way any other part of the tech industry works, why are video games any different?

Markoman

One of the most important sentences I've read in the whole thread.
The arrogance, ignorance and denial of those saying "I don't get the rage, your PS4 will still exist" is getting really annoying at this point, especially when you can easily see that the number of pissed PS4 owner's is really huge ITT and I haven't read one reasonable argument that will help those fellows. It's bascially soccer mom psychology :
"Sorry little Micky for only being second, it was sooooo close, but being second is not that bad, just watch the other team celebrating their victory"

NinjaBoiX

This whole outrage is ridiculous. Like, even if there are exclusive games, so what? PS4 will still have been its own platform for over three years, this not an inconsequential amount of time.

And the smug late adopters make even less sense. Why not take it to the next step and just hang on for the PS5 if you're such a savvy consumer?

Peoplewill say it cannot compete with PCs a month after PS4K is supposedly out.

Twice as fast as the PS4 (similar to a 750 Ti), isn't really that powerful at all, and puts it near a GTX 960

All depends how Sony define 'twice as powerful'.

PS4 GPU is rated as a1.75 tflops part, doubling that to 3.5 then taking into account the extra performance that Sony API's give over PC Direct X, then you are certainly in Geforce 970/980 territory.

But that is still not enough for 4K 60fps.

..I run a PC with two 970's in SLI, which, in some games with a decent SLI driver support, can maintain 60fps at 4K, with careful tuning of the options screen, Project Cars being one of them.

1080p 60fps upscaled to 4K should be the best you can hope for.

Ashler

Sony really needs to address this at E3.

Honestly, I would bite on a mid generational upgrade. I upgrade my smart phone every two years (with no real benefits for making calls) and that costs a lot more than a PS4.

This whole outrage is ridiculous. Like, even if there are exclusive games, so what? PS4 will still have been its own platform for over three years, this not an inconsequential amount of time.

And the smug late adopters make even less sense. Why not take it to the next step and just hang on for the PS5 if you're such a savvy consumer?
Good post.

Top Bottom