• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

Natels

You think so?
Why buy something potentially weaker than something a couple years later for the same price?

Also this year looks to be the year most have been really have been waiting for with all the hyped games rolling out.

Thinking like that you probably still have a Nokia from 2001... iPhones are released every year and they sell a shit ton of units.

Don't know if this will work on consoles though.

Papacheeks

Banned
The more I think about this the more I love it.

Devs could actually use the power to increase the IQ.

IQ is super important for me and often sacrificed.

Having the base game being defined by the PS4´s capability, the extra power could be used for AA - finally!

This could mean a lot of clean looking games.

Yet, we still get amazing games that people praise. Look at Nintendo their IQ isn't the best I'v seen on console, but they understand where a game matters, which is gameplay.

Chasing the IQ rabbit will only bring you back to the sega days,which will ultimatley hurt the industry as a whole.

4k isn't even super widespread content wise. Until tv channels and braodcast actually adopt it it's going to be up to bluray, streaming services, games to give you that.

And making a game in native 4k with the looks of uncharted, is not something developers, console hardware, or consumers are yet sold on.

Wait for PS5, make a ultra bluray option with a upscaler for upscaling output to 4k. That's enough of an option without adding possible factors for developers that would or could split user base.

MADGAME

I got a bit more information today but I am trying to find out who all knows about it before posting.

Also the word "Sacrifices" is being blown out of proportion. There are sacrifices made when making a console version of a game as compared to a PC game or when making an XB1 game as compared to a PS4 game. Don't expect PS4 games to all of a sudden become shit just expect them to run better on PS4K. I would expect a game that is really pushing the graphics envelope to run at 1080p 60fps on PS4K while the same game might run at 900p 60/30fps on PS4. Just the way I took it.
I agree 1080/60 vs 900/60 isn't an overly significant gap but IMO 1080/60 to 900/30 or worse is.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Thats the problem I have. It's like "Oops the system we released to too weak, here's what we meant to pass out"

The PS4 was released with pretty much the highest specs it could have at $399. That was the goal. The 4k would not have been feasible in 2013 and it's only going to be feasible in 2017 because of the evolution of die shrinks and manufacturing processes at AMD.

Raide

But then why not wait for the PS6 2-3 years later, or the PS 6.5 2-3 years after that?

Drat, there's never a good time to buy. Got to take the plunge sometime. It's worse on PC with new CPU's and Graphics Cards, Ram technology or motherboards, being released every quarter. How do you possibly keep up?

Like so many things, you just have to suck it up and buy it if you want it. After that you have to be happy about your purchase and content with what it provides...for a few weeks and then jealousy rears its ugly head. :D

This is simply to make devs' work easier (and get better, faster results as well). The PS2 and the PS3 had different memory pools for the system RAM and the video RAM which made developing games for them a nightmare, at least in the beginning of their generations.

Does that make developing games on PC a nightmare? Playstation for the win!

Papacheeks

Banned
The PS4 was released with pretty much the highest specs it could have at $399. That was the goal. The 4k would not have been feasible in 2013 and it's only going to be feasible in 2017 because of the evolution of die shrinks and manufacturing processes at AMD.

Then why not wait for a full generational period then?

kc44135

Yes, so instead of making sure the game plays fine on the system, they try and sell us a better PS4.

Well, I'm just saying that FF XV was always to going to be 30 FPS on consoles, right? It still will be, but with the extra grunt of the PS4K, you could play it at a smooth 60 instead. Basically, games will still be the same old 30 FPS you've come to an expect on the old PS4, but on the PS4K they can be 60 FPS. This is what other people were trying to tell me before, but Oi just wasn't listening. To be clear, I'm NOT OK with PS4K running games at 30, while the OG PS4 runs them at 15 or something awful like that. That would be despicable on Sony's and dev's parts, and I don't anyone would stand for it. That doesn't seem like what's happening here, though. Let's hope not, anyway.

All this talk about trade-ins, I just have to ask: how much did a used PS3 get you in discount towards a new PS4? I never did this, so I'm clueless.

If the answer is 200$, which I highly doubt, I might maybe consider doing that if the PS4.5 releases at 400$ max. So I could at least really enjoy my PSVR with the best possible performance and visuals...but then it'd have to be a considerable upgrade too.

DirtyLarry

Sheesh. It's like there are so many people here that have never gamed on a PC or something.

PC games perform relative to the hardware in your PC.
Better hardware equals better performance such as higher resolution, more FPS, better Anti Aliasing, larger textures, the list goes on and on.

This really will be no different.

Simply put. It is not the end of the world. It is not the beginning of no more good games on the current PS4. It just means those games will be better on the PS4K. That's it.

Really the biggest issue Sony faces with this decision is marketing to the average consumer. I imagine there will be a very big push on that side with the 4K Capable side of things.

Day 1 purchase for myself whenever it is released. Even if it is $499, that is the price of a single higher end GPU for PC. Something I have and will spend money on again. So I will also spend that on an entire console if it means better performance overall.

Muzicfreq

Banned
Thinking like that you probably still have a Nokia from 2001... iPhones are released every year and they sell a shit ton of units.

Don't know if this will work on consoles though.

Phones it works due to most people not outright buying their phones for the most part but paying monthly fees.
Heck my phone bill is $30 on contract which includes a GS4
Heck even Motorola has a credit system you can sign up for for monthly payments of like $20 for their phones over 2 years.

But feasible mid gen?......

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Then why not wait for a full generational period then?

Because Sony wants to promote 4k adoption and sell a PS4 equipped with UHD blu ray and HDR support and in order to do that they would need to release a new model of the PS4 anyway, they're just also including a spec bump.

Well, I'm just saying that FF XV was always to going to be 30 FPS on consoles, right? It still will be, but with the extra grunt of the PS4K, you could play it at a smooth 60 instead. Basically, games will still be the same old 30 FPS you've come to an expect on the old PS4, but on the PS4K they can be 60 FPS. This is what other people were trying to tell me before, but Oi just wasn't listening. To be clear, I'm NOT OK with PS4K running games at 30, while the OG PS4 runs them at 15 or something awful like that. That would be despicable on Sony's and dev's parts, and I don't anyone would stand for it. That doesn't seem like what's happening here, though. Let's hope not, anyway.

The demo felt less than 30FPS, and there was some considerable input lag. Hopefully they will fix it by release.

omonimo

Banned
Where did you get the $599 from? We don't know how much it could have cost. The XBox One was sold for $499 and it still did reasonably well, even with all the Kinect and Always On bullshit. That's a situation we simply don't know.

Yes, I remember people laughing about the 8GBs, but no one expected them to have shitty CPUs as they do as well.

And no, it wasn't 'very good' 3 years ago. It wasn't ever. Since the leaks people knew they had really weak CPUs.
Uh. Wut. CPU specs was notorious but no one cared so much at the time.

Papacheeks

Banned
All this talk about trade-ins, I just have to ask: how much did a used PS3 get you in discount towards a new PS4? I never did this, so I'm clueless.

If the answer is 200$, which I highly doubt, I might maybe consider doing that if the PS4.5 releases at 400$ max. So I could at least really enjoy my PSVR with the best possible performance and visuals...but then it'd have to be a considerable upgrade too.

Well gamestop and others do promotions to get you in on new consoles. Just recently they were doing double trade-in and double cash bonus.

My old XBox 360 Elite got me 120 bucks with a preorder promo towards PS4. Then as launch got closer I traded in my PS3 slim 120gb and got like 100 bucks for that.

So not bad.

Because Sony makes consoles for the target group of not entitled people.

And the shitty production cost developement of modern hardware.

How is wanting them to focus on the product they launched the console/generation with and finish their plan sound like I'm entitled? It's been this way forever, and is the reason they helped get such good will with buyers. They supported the PS1M PS2,PS3 well after their next console launched with great games. They never once advertised a a better product, that showed how inferior the current product was.

That's what this product is doing essentially. Maybe no intentionally, but it's how it will be perceived.

teiresias

As someone who was gifted a PS4 at launch, any amount of trade-in deal puts me ahead so I'll likely jump in, but I'm not really happy about this development. I'm really concerned with whether MS or Sony knows how to properly implement this kind of release without driving the whole console industry into another crash by driving people away.

I don't think a console market crash would necessarily affect the PC market, but it would probably, in aggregate, cause a large restriction of game budgets and the amount of AAA games development (not necessarily a bad thing for those of us that frequently replay older games anyway and don't really need uber-graphics to feel satisfied I guess).

Muzicfreq

Banned
Because Sony wants to promote 4k adoption and sell a PS4 equipped with UHD blu ray and HDR support and in order to do that they would need to release a new model of the PS4 anyway, they're just also including a spec bump.

Spec bump and older games running better... There's the primary issues right there.
Adoption of 4K means very little to nothing to the average consumer. I hear people IN person kinda looking at the TVs questioning the real difference other than prices.

Because Sony makes consoles for the target group of not entitled people.

And the shitty production cost developement of modern hardware.

So sony is now a GPU company?

Fredrik

If they do this of the PS4, would people potentially hold back on a Day 1 PS5 if they possibility of a PS5.5 is out there 2 or 3 years down the line?
Good question.
Look at Apple's customers, some people always wait for the S models of iPhones. Or look at nvidia customers, not everyone owns a 980ti, some sit with a 780ti or older gpu and wait for the pascal cards.
Same here, I assume some people will also wait on the .5 models of Playstations if these upgrades gets the norm, it's just 2-3 years and the launch lineup is usually lackbuster anyway.

But there are also those who always buy the non-S models of iPhones to always be there when the proper generational shifts appear and then never bother with the S models of iPhone. And I assume that there will also be those who never bother with the .5 models of Playstation for the same reason.

Then we have those who buy both the non-S and S models, and both the 780ti and 980ti, and I'm sure there will be those who buy PS4, PS4K, PS5, PS5.5 etc too.

It certainly works for Apple and nvidia, but iPhones and PCs are forward- and backwards-compatible though and I think Sony will need to get that aspect right on Playstation too for this to work without the outrage we see here, if you know that your games will keep on working and just get better and better with every upgrade then you'll be able to jump in on the next iteration of the hardware whenever you feel like it.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Yeah... this is definitely pushing me away from the console industry. And I'm for sure never buying another console on release, what a waste.

Natels

Phones it works due to most people not outright buying their phones for the most part but paying monthly fees.
Heck my phone bill is $30 on contract which includes a GS4
Heck even Motorola has a credit system you can sign up for for monthly payments of like $20 for their phones over 2 years.

But in the other hand we'll be getting 3-4 years between upgrades. Not every year I supose.

And probably half the price of top of the line smarthphones

The God

So you wouldn't be satisfied with FFXV at a stable 30FPS on PS4K?

I think people expecting 60fps are going to be disappointed.

John_B

I hope the premium model is offered with flash memory at multiple storage sizes. Please let there be a premium controller as well.

Surely the VR box will be integrated into this, right?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Budgets going up compared to previous gen didn't help... and that the process of updating/upgrading the engine of most of their SCE WW studios.
Some of these teams seem to have boxed themselves in by only focusing on AAA efforts (i.e. almost all of them). There really should have been some effort to have more frequent output of mid-tier games from the 1st parties from the very start.

Peltz said:
Those people will now have to buy new hardware to get the fully baked PSVR experience.
No one is getting a "fully baked" vr experience for quite awhile yet. Not from any VR solution. We're basically in the 8-bit/16-bit stages of what VR can be.

Vorg

Banned
Time to sell my ps4 while it's still worth something. Not sure I'll buy another console with the money tho.

ZOONAMI

Then that would be amazing. It is rumored that a Polaris Pro chip (cut-down with Compute Units disabled) has 2304 SPs at a die size of ~232mm2.

That's very similar (die size) to a 270/7870/7850 which is what's inside the PS4.

I think this makes the most sense. I honestly don't see why Sony/AMD wouldn't go for it given that Polaris is almost ready. PS4k would benefit from the new GCN architecture.

If it's a tonga chip then I don't see how the PS4k will be able to do 4k...

Full tonga is capable of 4k 30fps

AmyS

It's amazing how easy it is to forget all of this over the past ten years. Xbox 360 was a beast when it came out. I'd nearly forgot how much value we got out of console specs in previous generations.

Definitely, though I didn't forget. PC graphics didn't have a unified shader architecture until the release of 8800 GTX in late 2006 and Radeon HD 2900 in early 2007. I don't think it was until Crysis in late 2007 that PC gaming would completely outshine consoles again, a full 2 years after 360's release.

Muzicfreq

Banned
But in the other hand we'll be getting 3-4 years between upgrades. Not every year I supose.

And probably half the price of top of the line smarthphones

Give me the ole 6 years treatment and ill be happy. 3-4 is looking more like they're rushing a new unit out.

And smart phone prices dont seem like much when people are conditioned into being screwed over by the phone industry. I actually like companies like OnePlus and Motorola for making high end phones for like $400 and as I said you can pay over time with motorola.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yeah... this is definitely pushing me away from the console industry. And I'm for sure never buying another console on release, what a waste.

Why? All your games will still work, and no exclusive titles are being developed, so you aren't missing out on any games, and games will be at the same graphical fidelity you expected out of your PS4.

This is like saying you are going to stop buying console games that are also on the PC because knowing there is a better version out there somewhere completely ruins the game for you.

My advice to you then, is buy a PC.

It in fact does bother me if there is a better version, because I like to play the closest thing to the developers vision. That's why I own XBO, PS4, Vita, N3DS, PC, Vive/Rift and soon PSVR and PS4K as well as XBOPF.

That way I don't miss out on the best version of anything.

joecanada

oh my god , I just realized that a whole new version of #PS4Knoparity is just beginning

and the #PS4nodowngrades has already started lol.

I'm moving on to how this will look. Given it will have somewhat more power I can see it being more or less the same size has now and maybe to minimise confusion keep the same case design.

Or do you think Sony will give it new look?

I think they have to make it look different. I really like the current design though. Maybe PS4K looks the same and the regular PS4 gets smaller.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Guess what - you still can play the new stuff without updating.

Shocking news.

I don't get people that are acting like their PS4 will suddenly stop functioning or cease to be supported. Every major release is going to release on your PS4, it will just possibley look a lot better if you pay more money for a PS4K.

It's not going to magically look worse on your PS4 than it would if the 4K didn't exist. You are still getting he experience and opportunity you were told you would when you bought your PS4. There is just now a higher tier option for hose who value the graphical fidelity.

Full tonga is capable of 4k 30fps

Let's say it is (I disagree) , it also has an average power consumption of 200watts

There is no way they would release a ps4k in early 2017 and still have it be on 28nm, that would be really dumb and really pointless.

If they wanted to release ps4 with a 200w 28nm GCN gpu they could have done so in 2013.

With considerable sacrifices.

Same exact sacrifices that are being made currently in every ps4 game

A ps4k existing does not make the ps4 less or more powerful.

No matter what game you play , no matter on what hardware, it's always a pile of compromise and sacrifices and there is always something better possible on better hardware.

Top Bottom