• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4K information (~2x GPU power w/ clock+, new CPU, price, tent. Q1 2017)

riotous

Banned
What is Sony offered a great trade-in program along with this release?

They could leverage the power of traded in PS4s for cloud computing or something.

Imagine if they designed these systems to be easy to pull the chips out of and add them to a computing array; that in turn might make the systems easy to physically upgrade.

small44

Back before consumer electronics became an iterative upgrade market.

Just because it worked with smartphone doesn't mean it will work with consoles.
We're not talking about the same audience,it's the reason for exemple of the Ouya failure.They though console gamers don't want to pay 60$ for an AAA games and they want F2P games.

Regardless how you feel about this, the only thing I can say for mostly certain is that buying a PS4 in the near future would largely be a mistake, and I'm surprised Sony has let this rumor kind of languish in the public without saying anything. It's extremely likely the "base" PS4 will see a heavy discount in the near future and you won't be getting the beefier PS4 if that interests you.

Also for you doom and gloomers, it will allow you to see if your worst fears are actually something real to worry about.

I think waiting until E3 or whenever to announce this is a bad decision. Each day the uncertainty grows. I know it's very anecdotal, but I told one of my friends to wait on buying a PS4 for this reason.

Like, it would go a long way to highlight the benefits this might have instead allowing the uncertainty to fester and to reassure a segment of their customers to stop just automatically assume the worst.

LordOfChaos

They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

This is a really odd way to phrase it. If someone says to me a GPU is twice as powerful, I already assume it's accounting for both clock speed and added execution hardware.

So does this mean, twice as powerful, and it partway got there by being higher clocked?

Or does it mean, twice the execution hardware, also higher clocked?

We're not talking about the same audience,it's the reason for exemple of the Ouya failure.They though console gamers don't want to pay 60$ for an AAA games and they want F2P games.

In a sense, they are taking a steam box approach and telling people to buy in at the performance level they want. I don't know why everyone is looking past this. I thought options were good. Why is choice bad now?

poodpick

This is a really odd way to phrase it. If someone says to me a GPU is twice as powerful, I already assume it's accounting for both clock speed and added execution hardware.

So does this mean, twice as powerful, and it partway got there by being higher clocked?

I assume its the latter if they phrase it that way.

gamerMan

I guess the biggest problem with this is that the games that come out on the PS4K will have to be dumbed down so they can run on the PS4 at a minimum of 30fps. Will some games be exclusive to the PS4K? Is Microsoft also going to go this route? If they don't, most 3rd party games will have to be designed for the Xbox One and original PS4. So you are not going to get a whole lot of third party content that takes advantage of this aside from the resolution.

My feeling is if Sony can convince gamers to buy another Playstation every year or 2, they should do it. They are a business. Why not make money every year with a new design if people are willing to pay $400 for it? They are leaving money on the table.

Just like DRM, it's up for gamers to decide. People have every right not to buy it. I'm not going to be buying another Playstation because the exclusive lineup really doesn't interest me. With the exception of Uncharted 4 , Bloodborne, and maybe Horizon Zero Dawn and Last Guardian, Sony has had a hard time this generation creating exclusive content that appeals to me. I don't care how good their marketing is, I don't think Sony will convince me to buy another Playstation without showing me the games first.

This is nothing like the Ouya for a litany of reasons.

It's worked with smart phones, tv's, cars, tablets, computers and basically every other piece of "cutting edge" technology that exists. The idea of holding back technology advancements for an arbitrary amount of time just seems wasteful if it doesn't make older models obsolete. Just because it's new, doesn't mean you have to buy it.

RaijinFY

Feels more and more the PS4K is basically how they wanted the original PS4 to be but couldnt due to pricing.
My guess is the GPU is probably around Tonga performance level... Without, i hope, the bloat inside the chip.

onQ123

I think the OP got somethings crossed it's probably 2 GPUs & 1 is clocked higher even though it's smaller than the PS4 GPU.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I guess the biggest problem with this is that the games that come out on the PS4K will have to be dumbed down so they can run on the PS4 at a minimum of 30fps. Will some games be exclusive to the PS4K? Is Microsoft also going to go this route? If they don't, most 3rd party games will have to be designed for the Xbox One and original PS4. So you are not going to get a whole lot of third party content that takes advantage of this aside from the resolution.

My feeling is if Sony can convince gamers to buy another Playstation every year or 2, they should do it. They are a business. Why not make money every year with a new design if people are willing to pay $400 for it? They are leaving money on the table.

Just like DRM, it's up for gamers to decide. People have every right not to buy it. I'm not going to be buying another Playstation because the exclusive lineup really doesn't interest me. With the exception of Uncharted 4 , Bloodborne, and maybe Horizon Zero Dawn and Last Guardian, Sony has had a hard time this generation creating exclusive content that appeals to me. I don't care how good their marketing is, I don't think Sony will convince me to buy another Playstation without showing me the games first.

I can`t imagine some games being PS4K exclusive. The PS4 install base is too big, and they can`t expect PS4 owners to buy an PS4K or an 4K TV. Exclusive games simply won`t sell that well.

XBP

Its not like most multiplatform games are hitting the 1080x30 target anyway. A lot of things are already being sacrificed to allow these games to run at a somewhat stable 30 frames.

riotous

Banned

It's worked with smart phones, tv's, cars, tablets, computers and basically every other piece of "cutting edge" technology that exists. The idea of holding back technology advancements for an arbitrary amount of time just seems wasteful if it doesn't make older models obsolete. Just because it's new, doesn't mean you have to buy it.

If Sony wants to do this they really need to start looking at offering financing and upgrade plans.

Like I mentioned before with a good trade-in deal.

Imagine paying 15 bucks a month and you get to "upgrade" your PS4 every 2 years.

That's why it works for cell phones; and cars with lease deals (and car resale is huge in general.)

You need a very healthy re-sale and financing market to get people to upgrade often.

small44

In a sense, they are taking a steam box approach and telling people to buy in at the performance level they want. I don't know why everyone is looking past this. I thought options were good. Why is choice bad now?

Why didn't we heard nothing about steam sales I think they failed to sell well.
They want to make console look close to pc but in the end they will not attract console gamers or pc gamers.

Hawk269

Regardless how you feel about this, the only thing I can say for mostly certain is that buying a PS4 in the near future would largely be a mistake, and I'm surprised Sony has let this rumor kind of languish in the public without saying anything. It's extremely likely the "base" PS4 will see a heavy discount in the near future and you won't be getting the beefier PS4 if that interests you.

Also for you doom and gloomers, it will allow you to see if your worst fears are actually something real to worry about.

I think waiting until E3 or whenever to announce this is a bad decision. Each day the uncertainty grows. I know it's very anecdotal, but I told one of my friends to wait on buying a PS4 for this reason.

Like, it would go a long way to highlight the benefits this might have instead allowing the uncertainty to fester and to reassure a segment of their customers to stop just automatically assume the worst.

Why???

Some people don't have a 4K TV to take advantage of the 4k Blu Ray Drive. Some people would be fine with how the games look on the PS4 right now and don't want to spend the extra money on something that the current system they feel is fine. I mean just look at how many people are saying they would not upgrade because they don't care about 4k play back and the feeling that maybe the jump is not that big enough to buy the new system.

Moneal

yep, thats why I said consumer electronics, and not phones. Everything is like this now. A new product comes out every 1-3 years, and people upgrade when they feel like it or can afford it.

Why didn't we heard nothing about steam sales I think they failed to sell well.
They want to make console look close to pc but in the end they will not attract console gamers or pc gamers.

That's because of most people's desire to not use a PC as their main gaming platform. You confuse what I'm saying. The options offered here are no different than different model TVs, phones, microwaves, refrigerators, blu-ray players or any other device offered at different prices and performance levels. The traditional console model is dead because technology is moving too fast to sustain it. The adaptation is necessary for costs and longevity. Stop looking at your console as a car and think of it more as a phone or anything else you change every few years

Remember when the iPhone 3G was released after the original iPhone? Remember the outrage? Pepridge farms remembers. Look where we are now

Schnauzer

The more I think about the PS4K idea, the more I'm against it. I'm already a PC gamer on the side, and with more exclusives coming to the PC from both the PS4 and Xbox One camps, the more I am thinking about using my console budget on souping up my computer instead?

Am I alone on this?

I'll probably purchase the PS4K simply because I was going to buy a 4K bluray player, so it's easy to justify the cost; however, this might be my last console.

Why would they target the higher spec first? It will just be the same games with better resolution, fps, etc. It's just like with crossgen but with much smaller differences for those who want to pay for it. I dont belive that there will not be any AAA games exclusive to PS4k at least until or close to the PS5 release. Developers wants to make money and ditching 40mil users just to skip a bit of development time is not finna happen.

And no way there will be yearly releases of new hardware. I would be really suprised if we se anymore outside a slim before the ps5.

Why include a 4K player then? There is no way games with 4K graphics will fit on one disc. We already have to download too much.

What? It'll take UHD discs to play 4K movies, but don't expect games to come on those higher capacity discs for the sake of compatibility. Games aren't movies where you need that amount of storage to store the content. 3D geometry can be scaled to higher resolutions. Textures don't need to be higher res. Even then, the hard reality is most games you're thinking are going to be a problem won't be in 4K either.

How many of those pieces of technology rely on something else that take 2 to 3 years to develop? You can throw smart phones, TVs, cars, and tablets right out the window in that comparison because they don't have the same dependency.

Why???

Some people don't have a 4K TV to take advantage of the 4k Blu Ray Drive. Some people would be fine with how the games look on the PS4 right now and don't want to spend the extra money on something that the current system they feel is fine. I mean just look at how many people are saying they would not upgrade because they don't care about 4k play back and the feeling that maybe the jump is not that big enough to buy the new system.

Heh, you should have read the next sentence. I'd imagine the "base" PS4 will be heavily discounted if they're offering up the new beefier model. I'd either wait for the discounted "base" PS4, or take the plunge on the "PS4K." Spending $350 on a PS4 right now would be a mistake unless you're fiending for one right now.

onQ123

The more I think about the PS4K idea, the more I'm against it. I'm already a PC gamer on the side, and with more exclusives coming to the PC from both the PS4 and Xbox One camps, the more I am thinking about using my console budget on souping up my computer instead?

Am I alone on this?

I'll probably purchase the PS4K simply because I was going to buy a 4K bluray player, so it's easy to justify the cost; however, this might be my last console.

This is just a PS4 with a upgraded offloading processor for 4K

What is Sony offered a great trade-in program along with this release?

I see the appeal of a program like this, but wouldn't this just add more fuel to the fire for people who think their PS4 is now worthless? If Sony truly intended to support the original PS4 for several more years you would instead want them to offer reasons why your current hardware is still totally viable. After all, it is software sales they care the most about, not hardware.

Sony doesn't care about selling games to people who own only the new shit. They are happy to sell you games where ever you are.

Moneal

Why would they? What other technology company offers trade-ins? Well I guess could could say motor vehicle companies do. Thats about it though.

Its not exactly the motor vehicle companies really though. Dealerships are almost always independently owned, so they are basically like the gamestops of cars.

Dubz

Console lives last 5-7 years. That's the way it's been since the beginning of consoles. Why fuck with that?

Am I alone on this?

Well either you get a better computer or you get a better Playstation. Do you spend more time on PS or PC? The answer should tell you were should spend your money. Personally I also play on both but since all my friends prefer PS it is were I spend most of my time so for me PS4k will get my money.

Am I alone on this?

No you're not. I'm in the same camp. For people who primarily game on PC but have consoles for the odd exclusive, this isn't anything to get excited about at all. Sony has also had an especially weak first party showing for the PS4 so far, it's not like the platform is just SWIMMING in amazing console-only exclusives that really justify spending hundreds every few years.

small44

That's because of most people's desire to not use a PC as their main gaming platform. You confuse what I'm saying. The options offered here are no different than different model TVs, phones, microwaves, refrigerators, blu-ray players or any other device offered at different prices and performance levels. The traditional console model is dead because technology is moving too fast to sustain it. The adaptation is necessary for costs and longevity. Stop looking at your console as a car and think of it more as a phone or anything else you change every few years

Remember when the iPhone 3G was released after the original iPhone? Remember the outrage? Pepridge farms remembers. Look where we are now

People who won't the best technology would choose a pc and who want longevity will choose a console but with iterative console they became automatically competitor to PC and you will always have better choice with PC.So they will end loosing both audience.

Another think it that with iterative consoles the budget of games will increase even faster.Look at how devs only now started to abandoned last gen consoles despite the fact that they released 8 years ago.

spwolf

No you're not. I'm in the same camp. For people who primarily game on PC but have consoles for the odd exclusive, this isn't anything to get excited about at all. Sony has also had an especially weak first party showing for the PS4 so far, it's not like the platform is just SWIMMING in amazing console-only exclusives that really justify spending hundreds every few years.

actually, if you are primary PC gamer then this is like the best news ever:
a. PS4 will become cheap - $250 with $199 to come
b. PS4 will be supported for extra 4-5 years now.

So it is a win-win... for cheapo $250 or less you can play PS4 exclusives that are just coming out.

People who won't the best technology would choose a pc and who want longevity will choose a console but with iterative console they became automatically competitor to PC and you will always have better choice with PC.So they will end loosing both audience.

Another think it that with iterative consoles the budget of games will increase even faster.Look at how devs only now started to abandoned last gen consoles despite the fact that they released 8 years ago.

Not if they prefer the console experience for access. People actually do enjoy the plug and play. People do enjoy the fact that they don't need drivers for different games. It happens. Some people buy the top of the line Honda because it fits what they want. Could they get a baby beemer or something wih that money, maybe, but that's not what they want

MaDKaT

I just need to ask what is the reason for that? Do you think it is cheaper to keep a PC up to date?

May not be cheaper. For me, a pc is a utility device with many functions, from work to entertainment. I absolutely need a computer and can justify the cost. I have forgone the entertainment aspect/cost of a pc in favor of consoles for many years. 1 reason is I don't like iterative hardware. I put up with it for utility devices like phones and computers but only focused on what i needed for daily utility. Consoles provided some relief on the entertainment side. Overall console cost spread over 5 years and fixed hardware was something I was ok with. Didnt need to worry about updates, the platform was the best it could be for the entire gen. Iterative consoles take away that incentive for me. Times change and so can I. If iterative is the future of console entertainment then i would rather direct that cost into expanding my desktops utility.

Will0827

Going by Prebuilt PC's and configs based on the minimum recommended specs for the Vive & Rift, it's still a better value being on consoles despite them being upgraded even every 3 years. The initial investment of 399.99 or 499.99 during the PS4/Xbone Launch and possibly trading up for possibly 200-250 bucks versus spending a significant amount more to get a PC that plays better than consoles and upgrading that once consoles get another iteration, imo the advantage is still on the consoles.

actually, if you are primary PC gamer then this is like the best news ever:
a. PS4 will become cheap - $250 with $199 to come
b. PS4 will be supported for extra 4-5 years now.

So it is a win-win... for cheapo $250 or less you can play PS4 exclusives that are just coming out.

I mean to say for people who primarily game on PC but already have a PS4, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Because they have to push the hardware somehow. Building games to show off the additional power is the way to do that.

Why would that have to be the case? This is just a luxury item that does exactly what the other do only better. Look at how many people on GAF that complain about sub 1080 resolution, fps, AA and how these consoles should have been stronger. Now all those have solution to it. For casuals there wont be the same need and they can buy the regular PS4 and play the same games for a cheaper price. They dont need to advertise it with exclusive games there will be markets for both anyway.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
How about 8k?

Top Bottom