• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's custom themes are hilariously atrocious

uJFnooW.jpg

W1FjjfC.jpg

lol who's paying $3 for this shit

Edit: shit my real name was in one lol

SURGEdude

Yeah the PS4 20th is pretty horrifying too. The Vita one is nice though. The floating Xs and Os and the rest are so ugly.

Fusebox

Banned
Yeah PS4 and Vita themes are a fucking cesspool of shitty static faux-edgy imagery.

PS3 themes used to be way more awesome than this back in the m0dus days.

3DS themes are killing it at the moment too, they're so good.

low requirements for entry-level content + lazy designers (of the themes, not the PS4, mind you) looking to make a few bucks on the side + not many qualifications actually based on quality other than "is a theme" and "isn't copyrighted" = limitless pipeline of godawful work

It's the same principle the 360's Indie Marketplace worked on. I mean yeah, you got some gems like Nexuiz out of it, but at its nadir you were finding things like Uncanny Valley: Gentleman Gropeshaft's High-Flying Adventure and shit.

Those are all by a company called Virtual Burger. Can't believe Sony let them on the store.

The FFXIV one is beautiful, though. As are some other official themes.
B8tmFH4IgAACSAX.jpg

Tadpole

The floating blocks one is pretty cool. I don't remember the name but it's much better than the default. One of the freebies.

enkaisu

Banned
There really needs to be some quality control, it's fucking ridiculous.

PS: What happened to that Resident Evil theme we were supposed to get for pre-ordering the game?

Koeta

I just want to be able to put my own images as a background like I did with my ps3, why is it new systems take away features like this all the time.

Isotope

The JP PSN Store has better themes.

FF XIV 1/2
Winter Theme (Not Free) 1/2

Like, the selection with these two alone triumphs the N.A. Store.

Three

What the hell does the first one even try to convey?

... why is the star of david on a skull?

Is that a robot with a star of David?

Jewish Terminator

Lol. The first image that the OP removed added some context. You could basically get a skull with any country flag on it. Still a stupid godawful design but not somebody who randomly thought "hmmm I'm going to make a skull with the star of david on it"

The only good thing about the 20th anniversary one is the start up noise. I love that free one that is like a paper boat and is all cheerful and stuff

Yeah PS4 and Vita themes are a fucking cesspool of shitty static faux-edgy imagery.

PS3 themes used to be way more awesome than this back in the m0dus days.

3DS themes are killing it at the moment too, they're so good.

Hanafuda theme GOAT theme

Agreed. Ugly as sin. I just stick with the 20th anniversary theme.

Oh, and the avatars available on the SEN store (not tied to a game series) are fucking awful.

Top Bottom