• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's custom themes are hilariously atrocious

Nameless

The Nebula Theme is good. The way it rotates feels like you're falling towards it. No music, though.

dmtIaZ0.jpg

RedAssedApe

Banned
pretty much all the themes suck, even the game related or sony ones.

too busy...making it hard to read. ended up just sticking with flow because its the least obtrusive theme

dmr87

Using the 20th anniversary and I won't ever switch because the boot jingle takes me to a happy place.

The Destiny theme would be good if it wasn't for the awful icons and text. It's so bad I can't fathom what they were thinking.

Persona7

Banned
The PS anniversary one is too bright like some of the old PS3 ones. Can I alter the home screen brightness like on PS3?

Certinty

They really need to add the features the PS3 had such aas:
- Custom wallpaper/s
- Change of brightness
- Change colour even when using themes as most of the menus (such as settings and friends list) are still blue

Just seems like a really half assed effort to me a huge step back from the PS3.

Yeah PS4 and Vita themes are a fucking cesspool of shitty static faux-edgy imagery.

PS3 themes used to be way more awesome than this back in the m0dus days.

3DS themes are killing it at the moment too, they're so good.

Yeah it's so weird how we've gone backwards in a lot of stuff, themes included. Loved the M0dus ones.

They really need to add the features the PS3 had such as:
- Custom wallpaper/s
- Change of brightness
- Change colour even when using themes as most of the menus (such as settings and friends list) are still blue

Just seems like a really half assed effort to me a huge step back from the PS3.

Yeah I really want custom ones too, we can now always take a cool shot with the share button, let us enjoy the shot and not just share it (Love using it on Vita)

Some are pretty bad but I found a couple that I really like. My current one whose name I forget but it has water in the background in a artsy painted kinda style.

Roto13

Yeah, I checked the theme settings the other day and was surprised to see such a huge drop in quality from the launch themes. They were never that special, but these are just tacky.

At some point, the PS3 stopped getting decent themes and just got random garbage like this, too.

I don't like bright or busy themes, so I'm shit out of luck. I just use the dark grey flow one. I wish you could mix and match the music though.

It was the same on the PS3, practically all themes are awful. They're either lazy static images, or blatant advertisements, or just straight-up ugly.

I had been using Rectangles on the PS4 but I'm currently using the Grim Fandango theme, which would be perfect if they took off the Manny head and the game logo, just dust motes floating around and that awesome music. I wish you could use the music from this theme on the default one.

is like op didnt own a ps3, 1 out of 10 werent shit (out of my ass statistic)

though right now im kinda disappointed that there are more shitty ones on the ps4 than good ones.

chaosaeon

Is there any way to have a themes music but another wallpaper ? I used to use different themes for the buttons/sound effects and then a different wallpaper on PS3. Or have wallpapers from USB photos not even been added to PS4 yet ? I want the sound of the anniversary theme, but don't want the background of it.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I thought there were like 6 themes on the PS4. I use the cardboard ship at sea one and I'm fine.

Only thing I wish they'd change is for the theme to load before the OS.

Gradon

I got the Toro theme by using the free 14 day trial of PS Plus on my Japanese account and downloaded it there. Not sure if its still free to Jap Plus users.

Top Bottom