• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's custom themes are hilariously atrocious

mreddie

I'm using the Now and 20th anniversary themes. Appealing to the eye. I wish Sucker Punch would do a Infamous theme.

DirtyLarry

The American Eagle is BY FAR my favorite example of just how hilariously atrocious the themes are. It is so bad it is actually genius.

It is really funny the OP started this thread, as I just stumbled across the themes myself last night and was totally thinking the same.

Does anyone know of any resources that detail how one makes a theme for the PS4 and submits it? I might as well put that art school degree to good use and save the world from this awful atrocities. I am serious as well. If anyone could share any tutorials, file specifications, etc., I am definitely going to look into it.

raven777

mine from metal slime theme

549AD4843C32250028

549AD4853C2A130035

pretty good.

The American Eagle is BY FAR my favorite example of just how hilariously atrocious the themes are. It is so bad it is actually genius.

It is really funny the OP started this thread, as I just stumbled across the themes myself last night and was totally thinking the same.

Does anyone know of any resources that detail how one makes a theme for the PS4 and submits it? I might as well put that art school degree to good use and save the world from this awful atrocities. I am serious as well. If anyone could share any tutorials, file specifications, etc., I am definitely going to look into it.

I'm interested as well! Let's start our own studio and make themes for it! Also serious.

I don't know how but I 100% support it. If that company can get approved, it can't be that hard.

The Argus

The Brooklyn Bridge one is cool but it's way out of date with the skyline. Other than that the only themes I've used were the Day of the Dead theme on Ps3 (cool but laggy) and the PlayStation anniversary one on the PS4. Everything else has seemed really silly and ugly even with a free download.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
themes just dont do anything for me. never seen a good looking one on ps3 and yet to see one for ps4.

even if there was a good one i wouldn't pay any amount of money for it.

Jhn

Honestly, I kind of feel like it has to be on purpose. Now, I don't understand why they would actually do something like that, but a corporation as large as Sony can't be this consistently bad at art/design. It's just not possible.

KiraXD

That Virtual Burger company putting those themes are FUCKING GARBAGE.

Seriously... this is pure shit... like, the person who tried drawing these has no clue how to draw. Its like someone asked the stoner kid in 8th grade to draw his favorite binder doodle for a PS4 Theme.

ibnQvoWBBaLBVp.jpg

LOOT AT THISFUCKING THING! That Hand... that armor? rectangle shirt?
iExF4hvSh0OOH.jpg

Here they didnt even bother making even windows in those buildings... lets just throw a bunch of different squares together!
ivoVfFCKYjUWu.jpg

What the fuck is this?
ibaL7VeXUq5dhq.jpg

THESE ALL COST THREE U.S. DOLLARS!!!!

Im a freelance artist (slash stay at home dad) and was just talking to my friends about this. How in the fuck does someone like THAT get to put up themes on PSN?

How would I go about getting licensed by sony to upload themes under my own company?

Dunan

Is there any way to have a themes music but another wallpaper ? I used to use different themes for the buttons/sound effects and then a different wallpaper on PS3. Or have wallpapers from USB photos not even been added to PS4 yet ? I want the sound of the anniversary theme, but don't want the background of it.

Noobish question here, but how do you do custom sound effects? I would love to incorporate the Final Fantasy 8 button-pressing sound effects into my PS4 UI.

Malcolm9

The FF theme is on the UK store as well, this is the first time I've actually used one over the default PS4 theme.

cwistofu

The FF theme is on the UK store as well, this is the first time I've actually used one over the default PS4 theme.

I'm trying to make a UK account to download it but the webstore is asking me for a residential address. What do I have to do here?

The EU store has more shit, shovelware themes and avatars on it than anything else. You go into the 'New This Week' tab and you have to browse through pages and pages of that shit just to find anything of relevance. It's horrible.

You really should be able to set default sort options.

KiraXD

Would get sued in no time since all of gafs themes would just be animated gifs using licensed properties.

you know some of us actually are artists here lol... theres some legit talent on gaf.

heres a few of my crappier paintings
iboeygYhtursfq.png

Versus_by_KiraXD.png

KanonXD_by_KiraXD.png

so... someone please point us to the people we need to talk to at Sony to upload themes! lol.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What's annoying to me is that the theme doesn't carry over to system menus which looks a bit awkward.

Yeah, some of the themes are... Interesting.

I was using 20th anniversary, but currently using Grim Fandango. They're both good, but I'm loving the Toro theme. If it wasn't a bit of a hassle to get one, I'd totally buy it.

Top Bottom