• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's custom themes are hilariously atrocious

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The first one is like the desktop background of every skateboarding metalhead in the early 00's

you know some of us actually are artists here lol... theres some legit talent on gaf.

heres a few of my crappier paintings

so... someone please point us to the people we need to talk to at Sony to upload themes! lol.

Holy Shit, I wish I could draw that well, mucho respecto!

Seriously I would buy yours.

Pyro.

I just installed the Share Factory, and it said that the The Evil Within Theme was no available, but I can't find it anywhere.

Eh, you just picked out bad themes. PS3 had a lot of variety of good themes, girl pinup themes, and ones that look like they have no business being there.

Wolfe

I love how the skull doesn't even have it's front bottom teeth. Like whoever made the art couldn't be bothered to just make a complete skull or something.

"Well I'm basically done... eh fuck those last teeth, no one will notice."

i just made a Japanese account to grab the FFXIV theme but when I switch back to my main NA account, it's locked. ?

Did you install the theme? Unless the theme is installed it wont show on your other accounts. If you haven't go to your JP account and install it then go back to your main account.

Did you install the theme? Unless the theme is installed it wont show on your other accounts. If you haven't go to your JP account and install it then go back to your main account.

yes I installed it and listened to music for a bit. what about setting the PS4 as the main console for that account? because I chose not to at the prompt.

EDIT: ok, that was the problem. it's working now.

Dio

Banned
And yet the best one isn't even available to Westerners (Toro).

I bought a JP money card just to get that theme on my PS4 with my JP account install, since once installed it's PS4 wide. It works fine with a western account.

RSCx1sS.jpg

so obtaining the Toro theme is... making a Japanese account, getting the 14 day Ps+ free trial, and then downloading it? And it works then for any account or just the fuckin Japanese account that you had to make to get it?

so obtaining the Toro theme is... making a Japanese account, getting the 14 day Ps+ free trial, and then downloading it? And it works then for any account or just the fuckin Japanese account that you had to make to get it?

Once downloaded it will show up for your other accounts as well and can be used with any region/account :)

It's how PS4's content works. I also use that to not clutter my gaming account's library with demos etc. I download the demos with a different account and then they show in my real account's library only until I delete the demo files (instead of staying there forever, listed as games).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The biggest problem with custom themes or wallpaper on anything is the fact that it's inherently a background that has to try and gel with all of the functional front end UI on top.

Past

Once downloaded it will show up for your other accounts as well and can be used with any region/account :)

It's how PS4's content works. I also use that to not clutter my gaming account's library with demos etc. I download the demos with a different account and then they show in my real account's library only until I delete the demo files (instead of staying there forever, listed as games).

Nice, I thought themes were region locked like avatars on PS3.

Mandelbo

I just installed the Share Factory, and it said that the The Evil Within Theme was no available, but I can't find it anywhere.

That's because it's talking about the TEW theme in Sharefactory, not a TEW theme for the home menu - which doesn't exist, as far as I'm aware.

I love the look of the Toro theme but the music and button sounds make me want to jump out a window. But I also don't want to mute them entirely... I really wish they let you mix and match visuals and sounds/music from themes you own.

The biggest problem with custom themes or wallpaper on anything is the fact that it's inherently a background that has to try and gel with all of the functional front end UI on top.

I still think the user base will produce infinitely better wallpaper given the chance. all the ones we have now are poorly suited. CoD, Destiny, and even the FFXIV theme are bad choices.

Wait, you can't make custom themes? I remember making a cool custom dynamic theme for my ps3. It was a little complicated but it worked in the end.

pager99

Yeah PS4 and Vita themes are a fucking cesspool of shitty static faux-edgy imagery.

PS3 themes used to be way more awesome than this back in the m0dus days.

3DS themes are killing it at the moment too, they're so good.
There's actually some cool themes on ps4 I really Like ps now theme and um currently rockin a nice nebula theme but yeah Sony need to open up the mod scene like ps3 for ps4 thenes

alrighty then. So alls I gotta do is making a Japanese account. Do you know how to do that?

HanaChie

Banned
That Virtual Burger company putting those themes are FUCKING GARBAGE.

Seriously... this is pure shit... like, the person who tried drawing these has no clue how to draw. Its like someone asked the stoner kid in 8th grade to draw his favorite binder doodle for a PS4 Theme.

-
-

What the fuck is this?
ibaL7VeXUq5dhq.jpg

THESE ALL COST THREE U.S. DOLLARS!!!!

Im a freelance artist (slash stay at home dad) and was just talking to my friends about this. How in the fuck does someone like THAT get to put up themes on PSN?

How would I go about getting licensed by sony to upload themes under my own company?

Lmao. USA USA USA. But yeah, pretty much every theme posted here looks like shit.

Allforce

LOL, I can't even understand how this is a legit piece of content you can purchase from their store? I mean look at the lower left, it's unreal how awful it is. Like someone needed to crank out X amount of themes by a certain date and just said fuck it and used MS Paint to finish it.

Someone needs to look into this 'Virtual Burger" company and find out how many cocks they sucked to get this contract to create themes.

MikeyB

Maybe off-topic, but are there any resources for creating your own themes and then selling them?

I have only done a very preliminary search and haven't seen much, but I would love to take a crack at this if they're seriously selling that sort of crap.

Top Bottom