• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's custom themes are hilariously atrocious

Stormus

The Nebula Theme is good. The way it rotates feels like you're falling towards it. No music, though.

dmtIaZ0.jpg

This is bad ass.

That's because it's talking about the TEW theme in Sharefactory, not a TEW theme for the home menu - which doesn't exist, as far as I'm aware.

Ugh I remember how much time I wasted thinking I could get that on the system haha, I had no prior experience with share factory so I thought maybe people were making themes there for others.

LOL, I can't even understand how this is a legit piece of content you can purchase from their store? I mean look at the lower left, it's unreal how awful it is. Like someone needed to crank out X amount of themes by a certain date and just said fuck it and used MS Paint to finish it.

Someone needs to look into this 'Virtual Burger" company and find out how many cocks they sucked to get this contract to create themes.

holy shit sony. I know your top priority is to make money but cmon.

JSoup

Banned
When you buy Metal slime PS4, they give you a voucher code for the Dragon Quest Heroes game + that custom theme. So unless you get the code from someone who bought Metal Slime PS4, the only way to get the code is by buying metal slime PS4.

Or log into the account of someone who has the theme (with permission, of course) and download it that way. Unlike the PS3, that seems to work on the PS4.

Pimpbaa

Looks like smobile brought back my favorite sexy pirate girl theme, but she has been censored! The covered up some of her cleavage. If this is Sony's doing then they have a bit of a double standard going on since games like Senran Kagura on Vita shows far more than even the original pirate girl theme on PS3.

Arondight

A lot of them look lazily done. FF14 I only tried recently. I like the icons and the top wallpaper but the bottom wallpaper looks too busy. Bright colours, a lot of characters etc clashing with the square UI. Wish they could make it consistent. Apart from that, I've just been using the PS4 anniversary theme for nostalgia especially when the machine starts up.

They could just let us use our own images for wallpapers as well.

Gradon

Yeah, the ps plus one is a non animated winter scene.

The one you see posted around, the animated theme, is 300 yen.

When I registered my JP psn account today I got 14 days of ps plus so I nabbed the winter one.

I wasn't aware they changed it. The original animated one used to be on their PS+ offering and that's how I got the animated one.

asmudge

Banned
The anniversary one would actually be decent if they didnt forget to edit the bloody custom soundtrack/USB icon.

But overall theres no cohesion whatsoever. The system starts with 1 theme, the main menu is another and if you go to the upper bar it switches back to the default one.

There's also two new free ones. A waterfall and a kinda smaller waterfall one.

Not even worth the 2 minutes to download. Just awful.

There's a smoke one that looks cool. Like an Xperia Z background.

EatMyFace

Banned
Who even made those themes? Looks to me like some lazy quick cash-in you would find in the app store.

The free themes are pretty good though. Specifically the 20th Anniversary and the PS Now themes.

The ones made by actual game companies (Transistor, anniversary) are okay to pretty great. The store is certainly filled with awful shovelware themes, though.

MattDoza

So, you can get a code to a theme for The Order 1886 by going through 10 different trailers on the official site, and that code is supposed to be redeemable starting today, but when I just tried to redeem it, no dice.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So, you can get a code to a theme for The Order 1886 by going through 10 different trailers on the official site, and that code is supposed to be redeemable starting today, but when I just tried to redeem it, no dice.

They're looking into it.

Tahnit

Banned
i dont think i will be switching from the transistor theme for quite awhile. Hearing red hum is just so soothing and the background doesnt distract at all.

still waiting for the free order 1886 theme from the pinboard exploration to be up...

They're looking into it.

I managed to redeem the code and download it so it should be up now.

Top Bottom