• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's custom themes are hilariously atrocious

The "Little Big Planet 3" theme on PS4 is pretty decent!

I miss the Sony themes on PS3 though :-(
I used to like the seasonal ones like the Halloween & Christmas ones!

Ogawa-san

I couldn't stand these crappy themes/avatars littering the New This Week page, so I found a way to hide stuff from garbage publishers.

So this is how the PS4 themes page looks like now...
1xOPkVs.png

JSoup

Banned
I use the standard PSN+ theme on my PS3. The one with the random fly by PSN+ logo.
Was hoping it would be on the PS4 as well, but not yet....

Hydrargyrus

I would pay for having the default theme with the automatic colour change (based on daily hour and month) like the PS3 one, and be able to change the app background colour, because is always blue and don't fit with every theme...

Being able to change the music would be fantastic too.

Sony needs to work a lot in UI customization. Is good at this moment, but it could be really really good

Maengun1

The free Anniversary theme with the glorious, glorious PS1 startup sounds is so great that I will never desire another theme.

The corn wallpaper is avaible on Eu or is a fake? I really think is delicious.
I love spiral, I actually use the Far Cry tiger, is static but is not bad

thenexus6

All the themes are ugly, they ruined the 20th anniversary one with all the floating icons. I tried a few then just went back to the stock theme and change the colour every once in a while (needs more colours too).

The main problem with themes is soon as you enter any application or menu it just goes back to the stock blue anyway so whats the point? It's not really a theme its just a wallpaper.

Koh

Whoever makes these themes needs to take a look at how the contrast of the upper icons looks against the scene. They often end up white on white. This is my biggest pet peeve and why I stuck with the blue wavy line.

cormack12

Gold Member
It is weird, something I looked at a while back. Seeing if you could export the theme and decompile it. Without being able to do that, you can't do much really. But some of them that do get published are horrible.

Is this as simple as getting a devkit and creating UI's?

Hope they are doing something with the tomorrow children.

until then anniversary theme.

the corn-thing looks great, but i have to be strong and not get it. i would never start a game again and just watch it.

The main problem with themes is soon as you enter any application or menu it just goes back to the stock blue anyway so whats the point? It's not really a theme its just a wallpaper.

Seems like that has to be set by the theme maker. The spiral one changes those menus to red and another one to grey (I think the CoD one?).
Though yeah, they should just give us the same options we had on PS3.

I love my Toro theme though. It looks and sounds as if you are playing Mainichi issho on your PS4! :)

I love the 20th Anniversary theme, but only for the nostalgic start up sound

now if we could use that sound on any theme.....well i'd change it in a heart beat

I patiently await any news of this becoming a reality. While I have a channel for submission, development is another issue entirely as it remains a closed system.
How the hell was Virtual Burger given access to develop themes over you???
In any case, I hope we get some news on that front soon. Really enjoyed your PS3 work

Thanks to everyone who posted the FF14 theme here, I had no idea about it, and while I would love custom themes like on the PS3, this is the next best thing! :D

Bluenoser

The FFXIV theme is great.

This is available for PS4? Where? I can't find it on the PS store.

EDIT JP store only. Downloaded and enjoying. Thanks to those who posted. I had a similar theme for my PS3, so not entirely new, but much better than the ones we got for PS4 so far. Picked up the Far Cry 4 one while I was at it.

megalowho

They're not great overall, especially the drawings created by independent developers. Not really a fan of branded third party themes. The Sony ones are decent but Rectangular is jaggy and the music for Spiral is a bit much for an OS. Still waiting for a combination of background/icons/music/effects that hits for me, would spend money if one did.

On the other hand, 3DS themes are better than I thought they'd be. Nice variety on the store right now, classy designs and some really catchy original themes and remixes.

I'm counting on the strategy-guide-exclusive (lame) Bloodborne theme to save my PS4 from this tripe.

Hopefully they release a theme that's available to everyone in the EU/US.

Auctopus

I mentioned this when these terrible themes came up before...

This means that Sony have released their 'Theme Builder' to some extent to 3rd party companies. So if it's in the hands of these people that have the design taste of a caveman, surely there are more capable designers who have hold of it as well?

Whoever makes these themes needs to take a look at how the contrast of the upper icons looks against the scene. They often end up white on white. This is my biggest pet peeve and why I stuck with the blue wavy line.

This is the only disappointment I have with the Life is Strange theme. All the text and images on the upper bar is white and therefore virtually unreadable.

Frodo

Apart from the classic, the only two that are usable are the Rectangles and the 20th one.

Bring the corn back, Sony!

The_Monk

I remember having a sunset dynamic theme on the PS3 and one with a River. Those not only felt quite relaxing to see on TV before or after a gaming session but they also gave me a nice clean look to my space. :)

I hope I can find a similar dynamic theme like those soon, in the EU Store (or at least my own) is still a bit empty.

OneUh8

I like the rectangles and 20th anniversary themes. Currently using the PSNOW theme. I just like the music on it lol.

That Virtual Burger company putting those themes are FUCKING GARBAGE.

Seriously... this is pure shit... like, the person who tried drawing these has no clue how to draw. Its like someone asked the stoner kid in 8th grade to draw his favorite binder doodle for a PS4 Theme.

http://i.minus.com/ibnQvoWBBaLBVp.jpg[IMG]

LOOT AT THISFUCKING THING! That Hand... that armor? rectangle shirt?
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iExF4hvSh0OOH.jpg[IMG]

Here they didnt even bother making even windows in those buildings... lets just throw a bunch of different squares together!
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ivoVfFCKYjUWu.jpg[IMG]

What the fuck is this?
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibaL7VeXUq5dhq.jpg[IMG]

THESE ALL COST THREE U.S. DOLLARS!!!!

Im a freelance artist (slash stay at home dad) and was just talking to my friends about this. How in the fuck does someone like THAT get to put up themes on PSN?

How would I go about getting licensed by sony to upload themes under my own company?[/QUOTE]

Woooooow okay these are bad.

LX_Theo

Banned
Don't buy the shit ones made by companies trying to sell cheap ones that are spat out, then.

Get the quality ones.

Marcel

That Virtual Burger company putting those themes are FUCKING GARBAGE.

Seriously... this is pure shit... like, the person who tried drawing these has no clue how to draw. Its like someone asked the stoner kid in 8th grade to draw his favorite binder doodle for a PS4 Theme.

Sony should get this company to do the PS4 theme for that upcoming David Jaffe game then.

Mercutio

you have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh come on. The X1 actually allows you to use your own images, and control which games you see in the pinned area. The PS4 UI is an absolute garbage nightmare compared to the ability to name and sort things on the PS3.

We've gone so far back with the PS4's UI. I thought we'd get better stuff after a year or so, but I'm starting to get worried it'll always be a stupid line of recently used things.

nemisis0

I just checked the FF14 theme is now available in the UK store, making that japaense account was at least good for getting the yakuza ishin demo.

Nameless

Wow...looks good. Clean and simple...

Looks even better in motion -- like your UI is drifting in space. Best of all it's non-intrusive and won't bleed into the foreground like some themes. Really enjoying it.

That would be great with something like a Mass Effect menu music track.

This + Mass Effect Illusive Man Theme would be sooooooooooooo good

Yes please. Hopefully we'll get customizable system music with background streaming. The thought of hearing the OG Cosmos theme every time I turn on my PS4 fills me with so much joy.

Top Bottom