• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 And Xbox Series X Loading Times, Compared (They’re Close)

Rolla

Banned
Though I plan on upgrading to a faster monitor soon, the Xbox Series X and PS5 times below are running at 4K resolution and 60 fps. I measured the loading times between hitting “continue” and gaining control of your character. Thanks to Stephen Totilo and his little white box, we also have times for the Xbox Series S (though not at 4K, of course).

Devil May Cry 5

• PlayStation 5: 4.01 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 5.59 seconds
  • Xbox Series S: 6.95 seconds
and

For another test, we also measured the time to get from the launch icon on the consoles’ respective dashboards to the start menu, hitting start to bypass the opening cinematic.

"The hell? Double the load time? It seems the Xbox Series X took a little longer checking my network environment than the PS5 (it visibly lingered on the checking network screen), and there’s an extra prompt (press A on your controller) to go through."

• PlayStation 5: 19.52 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 41.98 seconds
NBA2K21:

Here’s hitting the button to launch a Play Now game, mashing through the prompts:

• PlayStation 5: 6.92 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 5.19 seconds

That’s fast. Almost too fast, as I like to use the loading times in sports games to convince myself that I suck at sports and should be playing some fluffy anime junk instead. Here are times from the consoles’ UI icons to the main menu:

• PlayStation 5: 14.43 seconds
  • Xbox Series X: 22.81 seconds

Last edited:
I'm probably right that backwards compatibility isn't a good indication of each systems I/O. Once you have games built for them the results would be different.

Edit: Ok now that I know it's Kotaku it's best to wait. But I'm probably right that Next gen games will probably have shorter loads than BC games do.

Last edited:

Rolla

Banned

That... That right there can't be real?!

200.gif

reinking

Gold Member
I am really glad they brought SSD into this generation. I wish they had been a bit bigger but I will make do. These loading times are great and all but I want to see how it is going to impact game development. Seeing some of those insane Spiderman: MM videos makes me hopeful for what we are going to see this generation.

ToadMan

Those are fine but I think the loading times in game will be the more critical rather than these dash board to game jumps.

That’s the bit that’s frustrating when changing screens, jumping between locations and that kind of stuff.

Also those times can be skewed by things other than loading - network tests for example.

MrFunSocks

Banned
We know the PS5 will load faster, but the thing is that we’re at the point where even a 100% faster load time is only a few seconds, which doesn’t matter, especially with the series X’s Quick Resume. It’s not like it’s 2 minutes vs 4 minutes, it’s 7 seconds vs 14 seconds max. Both are fantastic and fast enough.

Like I have been saying for months, there comes a point where taking twice as long to load is irrelevant because 2x nothing is still nothing.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
We know the PS5 will load faster, but the thing is that we’re at the point where even a 100% faster load time is only a few seconds, which doesn’t matter, especially with the series X’s Quick Resume. It’s not like it’s 2 minutes vs 4 minutes, it’s 7 seconds vs 14 seconds max. Both are fantastic and fast enough.

Like I have been saying for months, there comes a point where taking twice as long to load is irrelevant because 2x nothing is still nothing.

SSDs are scratching the surface of how it's going to be used in next gen consoles.

Fast SSDs will be used for streaming in assets and this is going to matter down the line. Those 1-2 second different might be come a factor down the line.

SSDs are scratching the surface of how it's going to be used in next gen consoles.

Fast SSDs will be used for streaming in assets and this is going to matter down the line. Those 1-2 second different might be come a factor down the line.

I basically said the same thing and we posted like 1 second apart lol. Remember during the road to PS5 when Cerny talked about loading things as the character turns, it's likely that the PS5 SSD is only just fast enough to do that, anything that takes longer won't be able to do it in the same way.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I basically said the same thing and we posted like 1 second apart lol. Remember during the road to PS5 when Cerny talked about loading things as the character turns, it's likely that the PS5 SSD is only just fast enough to do that, anything that takes longer won't be able to do it in the same way.
The Series X SSD is more than fast enough to do that too. How many GB of data do you think games are going to be loading in at a time?

That's not really close if you think about it. Shows at least 20-30% faster on the PS5 side if you look at percent differences.

NBA2K21 loads faster on Xbox. And well. If a game loads 2 seconds on one console and 4 seconds in the other than this would be a 100% difference. But who cares? It’s only 4 seconds.
stop making the difference bigger than it is. No one cares about a few seconds.Short loading time is short.

I personally don't care that much about load times, I sometimes rather enjoy them. On next gen games it all seems to be under 20 seconds, that's a win for me. I care more about what it means for developers. Having all that extra throughput, all that extra asset streaming capabilities is really all I care about. I'm just waiting for the games that finally utilize it to start showing up.

Kagey K

Banned
In the end people aren’t going to go have time to make a sandwich or smoke a carton of cigarettes while they wait for their game like we have seen in the past, looks like half the time you won’t even be able to scratch your ass.

I‘d say that’s a win for everyone. (Except people with itchy asses)

longdi

Banned
We gone from 2mins to 10s, what more do you even need, at least with the limitations of current flash technology. 🤷‍♀️
Can we declare Albert Penello tweets a-ok yet?

It would fair to think the PS5 will have quicker load times, twice as quick actually.
If the XSX can close that gap by some XVA black magic then that a bonus.
And let's be honest, no one is going to buy one console over the other because it's load time is 4 seconds less a game.

jaysius

Banned
Nope

XBOX SERIE X = 17 seconds
===========
PS5 = 7 seconds

You know what? I barely noticed the difference. When the times are this tight, I don't think it really matters. As someone else mentioned, it's good we're not looking at minutes but when it's mere seconds, it's almost splitting hairs.

Lets wait and see some numbers from optimized games to do Apples vs Apples of these 2 machines.

10 seconds extra from a crappy Ubislop title isn't a big deal at all.

sinnergy

So it real world performance you don’t see that 22 G per sec of the SONY Ssd compared to the 6 G of MS in effect ? WEIRD. Should be 4 about times faster .

Last edited:

Aidah

Sony didn't do it for load screens. It's for developers and moving data around, see R&C. Cross gen and ports are not going to be indicative of performance either.
They did it for load screens as well as being fast and consistent enough to dependably load in huge amounts of data in real time, like when turning the camera...etc, which can have huge benefits. Yes we haven't scratched the surface of its usefulness, but almost no loading is part of the goal, and something like fast travel in Spiderman taking less than 2 seconds does feel incredible and does impact the overall experience very significantly.

Kagey K

Banned
While an article is nice a video would be better.
Once the NDAs lift we are going to see a ton of comparative stuff. I imagine there are a bunch of videos ready to go, but their hands are tied right now.

Hopefully most people will be enjoying their new comsoles instead of fighting about them on here when that happens though.

Last edited:

v_iHuGi

Banned
Not trying to defend Series X here BUT something wrong with these 41S on DMC V.

I don't believe that shit for a second.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
We gone from 2mins to 10s, what more do you even need, at least with the limitations of current flash technology. 🤷‍♀️
Can we declare Albert Penello tweets a-ok yet?

No.

If an extra 3-5 seconds didn't matter, then Mark Cerny would've went with a slower SSD.

PS5/XsX doesn't have any games that streaming in a lot of assets while you're playing a game. That's going to change a few years down the line and that few extra seconds is going to make a difference.

Kagey K

Banned
Not trying to defend Series X here BUT something wrong with these 41S on DMC V.

I don't believe that shit for a second.
We have seen a bunch of wildly different times coming out for the same game on the same console from different sources. In another day we will see some sort of consensus arrive based on conglomerated info.

These are the last shots fired before we can finally derive what the truth is.

Jboemios

Banned
No.

If an extra 3-5 seconds didn't matter, then Mark Cerny would've went with a slower SSD.

PS5/XsX doesn't have any games that streaming in a lot of assets while you're playing a game. That's going to change a few years down the line and that few extra seconds is going to make a difference.
Already moving goal post

Top Bottom