• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 best buy koisk overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
The pic I saw earlier had it fully enclosed in a tiny plastic case. Should have cut some air holes in it at the very least.

ps5-bestbuy.jpg

Last edited:

sixamp

The pic I saw earlier had it fully enclosed in a tiny plastic case. Should have cut some air holes in it at the very least.

I've been to 2 best buys here in nyc and they didn't have any on display which is why I was asking. I figured for this to happen the case would have to be small

I always assumed the consoles in the tiny boxes were dummy units with real hardware somewhere hidden. I guess not
This is exactly the situation.

The PS5 displays are small, clear plastic boxes with small exit points at the back, towards the bottom to allow the cords to come out.

There is zero airflow and as such the systems overheating was a foregone conclusion. XSX in that same situation will overheat. PS4 in the same situation will overheat. Nintendo Switch in the same situation would still be for children.

ANIMAL1975

I remember this koisks overheating pictures all over the internets in the beginning of last Gen (replace with a ps4). Rense and repeat....

This means nothing. Neither of these consoles would survive in an enclosed space like that without fresh air circulation. There's also the fact that neither of these companies want to risk another RRoD situation, so overheating shutdowns are a reliable thing by now.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Wtf why is it so small lol. That shit is gonna explode

I still think that's a Walmart Kiosk for this image.

The other image looks like a different kiosk though. Similar in design, but perhaps a bit different. Either way, would seem that it could suffer from the same issue of being in a small enclosure with little ventilation running for hours on end.
EmFijaEWoAEUklD

Jokerevo

Banned
So what we're gonna do is completely seal the box so that no one can steal it

(hands go up)

Just do it! And don't forget to vote trump after your shift.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

There is an exhaust fan on top of the enclosure, but not sure if that helps.

When it comes to display kiosks, unless Sony has their own team of demo station builders, these kinds of things are outsourced to marketing companies to handle.

Companies work with them and provide them with artwork and gear and they come up with a design that works for stores. If the displays are custom designed Sony kiosks, then Sony helped design a demo station where you jam in the real console behind the TV, or you put it in the glass case.

A different view is the demo kiosk is not a PS5 specific design but a generic existing demo station, but they slapped on PS5 artwork on it and hope for the best the design of it works for PS5.

The more time consuming and expensive method is customized. The quick and dirty way is retrofit what you got.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Take a picture of a grid pattern using your phone at home. Many phones have a slight fisheye effect. I've noticed this on more than one phone I've owned.

I'd be MUCH quicker to blame the design of this enclosure behind the TV than a photoshop conspiracy.

mistakable

Neo Member
Take a picture of a grid pattern using your phone at home. Many phones have a slight fisheye effect. I've noticed this on more than one phone I've owned.

I'd be MUCH quicker to blame the design of this enclosure behind the TV than a photoshop conspiracy.
I mean you do the same grid line thing on the image with the enclosure and you can see the same thing surely so 🤷

Bad design is the likely issue imo

Wtf why is it so small lol. That shit is gonna explode
They don't make clear plastic boxes big enough for that monstrosity. Clear box manufacturers did not anticipate such a large console in their future road map. They assumed, like everything else tech, that consoles would get smaller :messenger_tears_of_joy: On the real tho, that is such a dumb thing to do with a piece of electronic that produces heat! Drill speed holes into that thing.

oldergamer

Hasn't this been debunked? It's just Xbox fanboys looking for a win after the ps5 reviews are positive.
Its actually behind the TV in a metal case. What's to debunk, it did overheat. Dunno why sony would design the display like this.

sixamp

The series s is so small!!!!!
The x is much smaller than I thought . I'm in best buy now. This is how they have the Xbox's set up. Just dummy units. No ps5s
lf2KJ7Z.jpg

A42W5Jo.jpg

A42W5Jo.jpg

Last edited:

Iorv3th

I always assumed the consoles in the tiny boxes were dummy units with real hardware somewhere hidden. I guess not

They are. The console is usually underneath and in the back. The units you see upfront are not the real thing. The only console I have seen that wasn't was the wii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom