• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 gets 1440p support! GLORY IS UPON US!

ManaByte

Please note: VRR on PS5 supports 1080p and 4K video output but not 1440p.
the office rage GIF

Lol I JUST figured out how to get my 1440p monitor to trick the PS5 into showing downscaled 4K instead of blurry 1080p, with help from people on this very forum.. Had to jump through crazy, confusing hoops to do it. But, hey, native support is better late than never!

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
ridiculous it took them this long but at least it's finally here.

edit: and it doesn't support VRR at 1440p

take your time Sony... you'll get there eventually. :messenger_unamused:

Probably because the PS5 supports only HDMI Forum VRR, not GSync or FreeSync which is what most monitors use (monitors are what this is for, there are no 1440p TVs). I don't know if the HDMI Forum spec even supports VRR at 1440p? And Sony seems adamant to support that spec EXACTLY, nothing more or less (hence the 48-120hz range etc).

Last edited:

Soodanim

I'm amazed that these companies release consoles that lack features their previous consoles had. Folders? I was doing that on PS3, thanks for deigning to add that revolutionary feature in 2022.

Still, at least it's here now. Count your blessings, I guess (in the feature lacking state of the art console).

SoraNoKuni

Damn Sony took it's sweet time, I hate them for being so late for trivial things.

But at least they did it, next update make VRR compatible with 1440p, maybe next year.

Won't use it as I am playing at a philips oled at 60hz, but I understand a lot of people would want their PS5 next to their PC.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm amazed that these companies release consoles that lack features their previous consoles had. Folders? I was doing that on PS3, thanks for deigning to add that revolutionary feature in 2022.

Still, at least it's here now. Count your blessings, I guess (in the feature lacking state of the art console).
Its not even so much releasing them missing a few features but more so taking near 2 years to patch them in

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

What to me still amazes as really a brass balls move was Apple when in a point update, not even a major release, did an in place file system migration from HFS+ to APFS on all iOS based devices… BILLIONS!

My God What GIF by Saturday Night Live

scydrex

Please note: VRR on PS5 supports 1080p and 4K video output but not 1440p.

WTF Sony? I dont have a 1440p monitor but those who have can't use 1440p with VRR. No excuse for this.

People who don't have hdmi 2.1 but have a TV 120hz hdmi 2.0 can use the 40fps mode and the game will run at 1440p 40fps/120hz and not in 1080p like rachet or miles or spiderman.

Skifi28

Watching PS fans celebrate getting features that Xbox has had for years is like watching that chick with the deadbeat BF post on FB that she's pregnant...Con...grats?

If you stop viewing it through the lenses of the console wars, you'll realise that people are just happy to get a feature they want. Whether the "competition" has had it for years or not is irrelevant.

When I got a raise at work, I didn't care that some people were being paid the same amount of money for years. I was just happy.

TheShocker

So what’s the optimal 1440p monitor for this? And XSX?

I have a LG CX in my basement, but was looking at a smaller monitor for my upstairs area to play on from time to time.

gamer82

So can you play on 1440p and then squeeze more power out of the the modes they offer in the games.

Last edited:

wvnative

Still haven't backtracked on the DS4 restriction, still haven't added a quick toggle for button assignments, still haven't added the option to disable "scene blocked for video recording" notifications.

And these "folders" are a step back from PS4

Lognor

Banned
Cool. I didn't think Sony would ever add it. Glad to see they did.

But no VRR at 1440? LOL! Sony needs to figure their shit out. Why is VRR so difficult for them?

Mr Moose

Cool. I didn't think Sony would ever add it. Glad to see they did.

But no VRR at 1440? LOL! Sony needs to figure their shit out. Why is VRR so difficult for them?
I'm doing a quick search and so far can't find any 1440p HDMI VRR monitors, only FreeSync/G-Sync.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-resolution/1440p-quad-hd-qhd
Updated May 02, 2022: We tested the monitor with the PS5's new variable refresh rate feature and confirmed that it's not compatible, since the PS5 only supports HDMI Forum VRR.
Edit: I found 2 1440p screens that work @ 1080p, neither of them are HDMI 2.1 though:

Last edited:
Top Bottom