• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 gets 1440p support! GLORY IS UPON US!

If anyone would be so nice and let me get a code (US) I'd be very grateful. Literally sitting here playing my ps5 on a 1440p monitor right now.

Poppyseed

Definitely would lose my mind if someone had a beta code for this for USA. Will happily send a PayPal gift, too. Been waiting for nearly 2 years for this!

skneogaf

Great news! A few of my friends have been playing at 1080p on their ps5 consoles on their 1440p monitors so they'll finally see native. 👍

DaGwaphics

Great news. It looks like that's the best res to get for these consoles since so many games miss 4k but are high enough to be pixel perfect on a 1440p screen. At least for monitor players.

xion4360

so we get 1440p support in finally but for some reason it won't support VRR? hopefully it comes in later but why they always half step like this.

Raonak

Banned
I presume they are supersampling down to 1440p from whatever 4K/dynamic resolution games run at.

Good for the minor amount of people who run a PS5 on a monitor

BreakOut

so we get 1440p support in finally but for some reason it won't support VRR? hopefully it comes in later but why they always half step like this.
My guess is it will come later. The VRR on PlayStation has kind of a weird implementation when you think about it. Technically it’s just the “standard” but games have it patched in for extra features (insomniac stuff specifically) and all sorts of weird shit. Maybe they’re worried about compatibility issues.
I hope they add it though, basically kills 1440P. At least for me.

[Sigma]

Spent what felt like an hour organizing my folders lol. Going to put my PS5 on my monitor in a bit.

Last edited:

Shaukdotdj

8PG3-8NN5-MT89
Thanks man they usually send me the email for every beta but this one seems like it was lost. I recently went thru a lot of account changes so I suspect I had to re-opt in to the beta emails since it's technically different now

BreakOut

Thanks man they usually send me the email for every beta but this one seems like it was lost. I recently went thru a lot of account changes so I suspect I had to re-opt in to the beta emails since it's technically different now
Your welcome. Hopefully you’ll start getting your codes again soon.

FukuDaruma

What my PS5 says about my Epson projector. What my PC does with my Epson projector.

TDvg85C.png

Good job, Sony. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

RCU005

Gamelists is a feature I will never use because I'll never have as many games needed to use it, but I wonder why only 15 game-lists? Is that really low or will it be surprisingly enough?

Nintendo Switch lets you create 100 groups with 200 games, is that too many?

So can I play Dying Light 2 in 1440p now like Xbox Series X balanced mode?
Also my psn deluxe (brazil) has so little games is it worth to create an US psn deluxe just for the classics there?

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Game lists is nice. No more scrolling through your entire library to find the games you want to reinstall. I can also make a backlog list.

timmyp53

Game lists is nice. No more scrolling through your entire library to find the games you want to reinstall. I can also make a backlog list.
I don't care about this. Just let me go to the Library with a trigger like how r1 switches between games and media categories.

Banned
The beta broke VRR support with my HDMI 2.0 TV... great!

if this is on purpose and not a bug I'll shit on their doorstep!

edit: false alarm! after a reboot it works again! god damn... I was kinda scared there for a moment

Last edited:

Banned
ok, quick test in Spider-Man

the console will not automatically use 1440p! you will have to set your console output directly to 1440p to actually use 1440p

this is what it looks like when I activate 120hz in Spider-Man in different settings:

Console Resolution set to "Automatic", 120hz set to "Automatic", VRR set to "Automatic"
20220729_033941hxkm3.jpg

Console Resolution set to "Automatic", 120hz set to "Automatic", VRR set to "Off"
20220729_03410113k0k.jpg

Console Resolution set to "1440p", 120hz set to "Automatic", VRR set to "Off"
20220729_034246uij4u.jpg

(Klangtreue = Fidelity Mode... whoever translated that into German should be fired btw...)

so even if VRR is set to off, Spider-Man will automatically switch to 1080p on an HDMI 2.0 display in 120hz mode,
if your resolution isn't set to 1440p on the OS level.

the console detects that I can use 1440p as I did the test before that,
but it will not chose the most optimal resolution for my screen by itself,
I have to lock my PS5 to 1440p to actually use 1440p

on contrast, a game like Tony Hawks 1+2 on Series X will automatically switch between 1440p and 4K depending on if you turn on 120hz or not.

on Xbox that is a whole 'nother ordeal tho as almost no game will actually automatically switch resolutions,
THPS 1+2 is the rare exception of games that actually do that,
so on that system I am effectively also stuck manually switching resolutions.

-_- frustrating really... on PS5 it seems to be an OS level issue and on Xbox it's an issue with developers not giving half a shit about user friendly UI

Last edited:

trikster40

Just noticed on my beta email that my code can be used on up to 5 accounts, which means I can share it with 4 other people.

If anyone wants the code, send me a message and I’ll share it with you. First 4 gets the code, just be nice and don’t share it so as not to screw one of the other 3 recipients. Going to be now, I’ll send codes out first thing in the morning.

Rayderism

I guess the "gamelist" is the closest we're going to get to folders. Anyway, that's the most exciting feature of this beta to me, when it finally comes to the public that is, I'm not a fan of installing betas on my console.

For a game hoarder like me, it will be a godsend feature. I have so many games installed that when they drop off the homescreen, they get lost in the vast library listings. Having them grouped by genre (that I define) will help a lot.

Last edited:
Game lists are cool but you can't create them based solely on the games installed, you have to pick from every single game on your account. Which on one hand it is actually cool that you can add games you don't have on the system to a folder, but on the other if I don't have a game on my system why do I care about organizing it? I'll have to mess around with it tomorrow to see how it is implemented, but glad it is finally there.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Great news! A few of my friends have been playing at 1080p on their ps5 consoles on their 1440p monitors so they'll finally see native. 👍

This is exactly who this will be great for. Everyone talking about using 1440p on their 4K TVs is completely missing the point, and not understanding how console resolutions work (internal rendering resolution vs output resolution etc).

sinnergy

This is exactly who this will be great for. Everyone talking about using 1440p on their 4K TVs is completely missing the point, and not understanding how console resolutions work (internal rendering resolution vs output resolution etc).
You understand that you always see 4K or 1080p 🤣🤡

DZ_b_EZ

Now the developers can target 1440p native resolutions on the more graphically intensive modes/games without being forced to upscale to 2160p. Crimson Desert can just do it's thing and look gorgeous.

Tackling Rock Bottom GIF by Crimson Desert
200.gif

200.gif

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Now the developers can target 1440p native resolutions on the more graphically intensive modes/games without being forced to upscale to 2160p. Crimson Desert can just do it's thing and look gorgeous.

Tackling Rock Bottom GIF by Crimson Desert
200.gif

200.gif

No, because they still need to support 4K TVs (which FAR more console gamers have than 1440p computer monitors). They can already do 1440p internal rendering, this won't change anything except that people with 1440p monitors will get native output at that resolution.

No, because they still need to support 4K TVs (which FAR more console gamers have than 1440p computer monitors). They can already do 1440p internal rendering, this won't change anything except that people with 1440p monitors will get native output at that resolution.

THIS.

This 1440p update does nothing for most people: there's no reason to output 1440p if you have a 2160p TV or monitor

Dibils2k

next they need to enable full 48Gbps usage of the HDMI2.1 so we can get full chroma at 4k 120fps! (if its a software limitation)

EDIT: correction.. looks like you only need 40Gbps for full chroma 4k 120fps, its just that PS5 is limited to 32Gbps, so if they can bump it to 40 that would be perfect

Last edited:
Top Bottom