• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 gets 1440p support! GLORY IS UPON US!

Banned
The haptics are actually an upgrade due to the much wider range of vibrations that they allow. Also the USB C port allows faster charging over the DS4. Some consider the elimination of the light bar a welcome improvement since I don’t see it off my monitor when I game.

the haptics are nice,

USB C too of course but that's not a make or break thing to me... sticking in a cable, and which cable that is in the end is not something that changes my option on a controller much 😅,

the Light bar, yeah... I'm glad that's gone, the new LEDs look way nicer

the haptics are nice,

USB C too of course but that's not a make or break thing to me... sticking in a cable, and which cable that is in the end is not something that changes my option on a controller much 😅,

the Light bar, yeah... I'm glad that's gone, the new LEDs look way nicer

To be fair I never use the USB C. I just plop it on a dock and I never have to worry about charging it. I like how easy it is to connect my Dualsense to my other devices. Still on the fence on whether it’s easier than the DS4 or not.

chaseroni

Anyone know of any games that would support 1440p 120fps?

Also if anyone has a spare code I'd love to try this out :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Side by side it feels better than my DS4. Maybe I got lucky with my controller. It could be possible they they changed it a bit since launch. I certainly didn’t buy my PS5 at launch so maybe that’s why.
I think the DualSense d-pad feels better as well, and I just directly compared them. Granted I don't play fighting games very often. And this is with a launch DualSense.

Overall they feel very similar though.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I understand your point but I don’t think it’s deal breaking. If the Dualsense wasn’t an improvement over the DS4 I would be really pissed.
I don't care about Dualsense actually, I just want 1440p support on Ps4 Pro. I tried to summarize Sony's lazy(and profit oriented) approach.
well it isn't one in every regard
This is the first time I've come across a person who thinks like that. After what I saw and heard, I was convinced that it is the best controller ever. I can't comment on it because I haven't tried it yet.

I don't care about Dualsense actually, I just want 1440p support on Ps4 Pro. I tried to summarize Sony's lazy(and profit oriented) approach.

This is the first time I've come across a person who thinks like that. After what I saw and heard, I was convinced that it is the best controller ever. I can't comment on it because I haven't tried it yet.

Depends what you mean by profit oriented. I mean obviously Sony wants to make money from the PlayStation brand.

1440p makes so much sense 1440p144hz monitors are a dime a dozen and go for pocket change these days.
Where?

Cheapest 1440p monitors I can find are 200 euros, cheapest 4K monitors I can find are 200 euros. True, 144Hz is much cheaper on 1440p than on 4K, but the entry point is similar. And 60/75 Hz enough for most people gaming on a PS5.

1440p monitors should be replacing 1080p monitors on the "over 150" euro space.

Last edited:

Banned
this is the first time I've come across a person who thinks like that. After what I saw and heard, I was convinced that it is the best controller ever. I can't comment on it because I haven't tried it yet.

everyone has different hands, but for me the ergonomics of the DualSense are a HUGE step down.

I play Apex Legends in ranked on the Dualshock 4 without issues of hours on end.
if I try that on the DualSense my hands start hurting after an hour, if not sooner.

also the Dpad is a step down imo.

that's why it's so fucking annoying to me that Sony arbitrarily blocks the use of the DualShock 4 in PS5 native games, such an absolutely baffling limitation

Banned
Why is it difficult to implement VRR for 1440p? Is there any technical difficulty behind it?

look up some reviews of Sony TVs and you'll know why :)

after talking to a friend about the new 1440p support he told me about his Sony TV and how weird it handles different resolutions. after that I looked up some tests online... and oh boy...

some Sony TVs can not do VRR at 1440p, some can only do VRR at 1440p60hz,
some can't do 1440p at all,

others only accept 1440p video sources if said source forces 1440p, the device will not detect 1440p as an available resolution.
on Windows you would have to create a custom resolution setting and then force it on

then one Sony TV crashed in tests at 1440p when VRR was enabled apparently.

one of the TVs only has VRR support from 48hz to 60hz in 1080p...
so 1080p120hz will not support VRR on that one... 4K120hz will tho 🤷‍♂️

also super weird, on one test I saw the TV had Gsync support but not Freesync... like wtf is that?

so yeah. I think their 1440p implementation is once again basically limited by their own TV line. Sony TVs are so fucking weird

Last edited:

BreakOut

If you had asked me a few months ago I would've told you "Forget it, definitely not going to happen". But now that SONY is manufacturing its own monitors for PC gaming... it's possible, who knows. 1440p support is the perfect example, it seemed impossible a few months ago since it's not a TV standard, and yet there we have it. If SONY really wants to start making PC gamers happy they'll have to enable Freesync eventually, I guess.
I just hope they allow freesync in general. The 48 Hz minimum is just useless. Try playing resident evil two or three with rage racing on. There just isn’t a purpose to the VRR thing activate it you might as well turn it off. The frames dip below 48 all the time. I don’t really see Ray tracing happening this generation in any meaningful way anyway, but it’s just an example. Elden Ring would benefit greatly.

Banned
Try playing resident evil two or three with rage racing on.

R.f85006bfc6980630913baf579261a5c9

RoadHazard

Gold Member

after talking to a friend about the new 1440p support he told me about his Sony TV and how weird it handles different resolutions. after that I looked up some tests online... and oh boy...

others only accept 1440p video sources if said source forces 1440p, the device will not detect 1440p as an available resolution.
on Windows you would have to create a custom resolution setting and then force it on

also super weird, on one test I saw the TV had Gsync support but not Freesync... like wtf is that?

so yeah. I think their 1440p implementation is once again basically limited by their own TV line. Sony TVs are so fucking weird

It sucks that Sony TVs don't handle 1440p well I guess, but that really doesn't matter here. There's no reason to ever output 1440p from a console to a 4K TV. The only reason to ever give a TV a 1440p signal is if you're on PC and that's what it can handle.

Last edited:

Banned
It sucks that Sony TVs don't handle 1440p well I guess, but that really doesn't matter here. There's no reason to ever output 1440p from a console to a 4K TV. The only reason to ever give a TV a 1440p signal is if you're on PC and that's what it can handle.

they have HDMI 2.0 TVs, just like many other TV brands, that can of course not do 4K120hz since you need HDMI 2.1 for that. these Sony TVs only support 1080p120hz even tho their HDMI 2.0 port could easily handle 1440p 120hz
they also have other HDMI 2.0 TVs that do support 1440p 120hz but only on PC because you have to force the resolution through your GPU driver, which is something a console will usually not be able to do, it will simply detect no 1440p support and not even let you set it to 1440p.

here are 2 found real quick
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950h
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f

there are more like these in their lineup of course

so yes, there absolutely is a reason to set your console to 1440p.
using the 40fps quality modes in Sony's games is pretty much useless if you have to drop the resolution all the way down to 1080p to get 40fps support. my TV only is HDMI 2.0, so this 1440p update is really welcome.

I will get a new TV in a few months, and with that I am still in the minority of how fast I buy a new TV, most people use their TVs even longer than I do, so 1440p is something many might want to use that have older TVs and not get the newest ones every 3 to 4 years like I do

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
they have HDMI 2.0 TVs, just like many other TV brands, that can of course not do 4K120hz since you need HDMI 2.1 for that. these Sony TVs only support 1080p120hz even tho their HDMI 2.0 port could easily handle 1440p 120hz
they also have other HDMI 2.0 TVs that do support 1440p 120hz but only on PC because you have to force the resolution through your GPU driver, which is something a console will usually not be able to do, it will simply detect no 1440p support and not even let you set it to 1440p.

here are 2 found real quick
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x950h
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f

there are more like these in their lineup of course

so yes, there absolutely is a reason to set your console to 1440p.
using the 40fps quality modes in Sony's games is pretty much useless if you have to drop the resolution all the way down to 1080p to get 40fps support. my TV only is HDMI 2.0, so this 1440p update is really welcome.

I will get a new TV in a few months, and with that I am still in the minority of how fast I buy a new TV, most people use their TVs even longer than I do, so 1440p is something many might want to use that have older TVs and not get the newest ones every 3 to 4 years like I do

Alright, that's a valid point.

SeraphJan

Lmao those Sony TVs, my Samsung TV does 1440p 120hz just fine (Tested on PC without any custom setting), yeah super weird shit, I've also heard Sony TVs on average has higher input latency than other brand

The VRR thing just shows how lazy their TV products are, they just assume people will not be using lower resolution, so they just did half ass code for those

But hey, at least they could implement proper VRR for their PS5 side, so the console could properly support other TV brands or monitors

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Depends what you mean by profit oriented. I mean obviously Sony wants to make money from the PlayStation brand.
If a particular improvement doesn't interest too many people(or isn't profitable), they just don't do it. Like they ended support for Vita and Move early, tried to kill Ps3 store, or other things I mentioned early. I get it, we're talking about a company after all, but they've started to do a lot of this sort of thing.
everyone has different hands, but for me the ergonomics of the DualSense are a HUGE step down.

I play Apex Legends in ranked on the Dualshock 4 without issues of hours on end.
if I try that on the DualSense my hands start hurting after an hour, if not sooner.

also the Dpad is a step down imo.

that's why it's so fucking annoying to me that Sony arbitrarily blocks the use of the DualShock 4 in PS5 native games, such an absolutely baffling limitation
This is interesting. If I decide to buy Dualsense I will take that into consideration.

I don't understand why Sony does things so piecemeal while Microsoft has these features, for the most part, baked in at launch. Is Sony's software department really that bad?

Last edited:

Arioco

I just hope they allow freesync in general. The 48 Hz minimum is just useless. Try playing resident evil two or three with rage racing on. There just isn’t a purpose to the VRR thing activate it you might as well turn it off. The frames dip below 48 all the time. I don’t really see Ray tracing happening this generation in any meaningful way anyway, but it’s just an example. Elden Ring would benefit greatly.

I don't think it's the 48 Hz, but the lack of Low Frame Rate Compensation implemented at system level. I mean, VRR works fine in 40 for modes (there you have Spider-Man as an example, where the frame rate fluctuates constantly between 40-50 fps and feels great) if and when devs implement LFC in their games. So if the game allows for a 120 fps mode the 48 Hz is not much of a problem, but if it doesn't... Elden Ring is the worst case scenario I can think of: terribly optimized game, poor performance that dips too frequently below 48 Hz and to top it all the game doesn't allow players to select a 120 fps container.

But I agree it would be nice for SONY to start supporting Freesync. I mean, pretty much every TV that supports VRR supports Freesync too and its minimum frame rate supported is lower as you say, so I would be great news for the users. As I said it's something I didn't see happening a few months ago but now that SONY is manufacturing PC gaming devices it wouldn't surprise me. The fact that they added support for 1440p means SONY is listening to the community, something I didn't think they would do TBH.

Banned
I don't understand why Sony does things so piecemeal while Microsoft has these features, for the most part, baked in at launch. Is Sony's software department really that bad?

I hold on to my theory that they only implement Features that don't make Sony TVs look bad in comparison to other brands.

I bet that's why the PS4 Pro never got 1440p support, because as I found out this week and talked about a few posts above this one, their TVs really don't like 1440p signals.

and VRR was the same deal, their TVs finally got VRR support that isn't completely awful, and only after that did the PS5 get VRR support.

it's too much of a coincidence that Sony TVs struggle with exactly the missing features of the consoles they release.
imagine buying a Sony console, only for your 4K Sony TV to refuse to support 1440p 120hz... or refuse to support 1440p +VRR, while other big TV brands like LG, Samsung, TCL etc. have zero issue with that.

Most TV brands support Freesync, Sony doesn't. their TVs support HDMI VRR and some even G-Sync... but not FreeSync... and guess what the AMD driven PS5 doesn't support even tho HDMI VRR and Freesync are very closely related standards?

The PS5 has a big 8K logo on the box, but it doesn't support 8K output at all yet...
I wonder if that's because Samsung and LG 8K TVs are still way cheaper and somewhat affordable, while Sony's 8K line is pretty expensive still and not ready for mass market adoption.

Sony's 8K line is still around 3000€ to 4000€ I think, while some cheaper models by other brands are actually affordable in the 1500€ range, which is competitive with 4K OLED TVs.

so I bet 8K will only be made available on PS5 once Sony has multiple 8K TVs on the market that they can sell at a price below 2000€, or in the 1500€ range.

it might sound conspiratorial, but I think this is all very calculated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom