• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 no vrr?

Ulysses 31

iu

I'm sure it will come eventually :p

Moogle11

Banned
Probably something that will get patched in. I think Sony is just lagging behind on figuring out HDMI 2.1 features on both their TVs and the PS5.

I bought the Sony X900H TV in a sale last month. The first update to enable 2.1 features a few weeks back also didn't enable VRR or ALLM yet--and apparently the 4K120FPS is blurry and eARC has a lot of issues that Sony support has said they're working to fix in another update (with the VRR/ALLM to come in an update next year) per posters on AVS Forum.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I'd rather see Sony add the ability to copy PS5 games from/to external storage first to the PS5 OS. That's something I can use immediately without having to buy a new TV.

Calverz

Yea im disappointed by this considering il have the ps5 and lg cx. Hopefully it will arrive soon via patch. Seems sony have dropped the ball on some things.

It's something Sony should have had squared away day one for HDMI 2.1 displays. Those who thought PC monitors and Freesync would be supported were very wrong.

It's not at all a cable issue, VRR works at 1080p for heavens sake.

I'm not an Xbox fan but the way MS handles video output is just better, for a system to have at all times 120hz output for improved panel response times and lower input lag.

Sony's oddball handling of PS5 120hz output treating it like HDR on PS4 as something occasionally activated if a game supports it, is telling of video engineers way out of the loop and who did not plan ahead.

Also if VRR is not mandatory as a system wide feature then many game devs will ignore it (like they did on Xbox One) so even if Sony patch in VRR some PS5 games may never support it (PS4 titles wont for sure), its still only the start so hopefully Sony sees the error of their ways before the PS5 library starts to build up.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
That would be weird if it didn’t. Hoped it’s just a software issue that can be upgraded.

Isn´t this because Sony, unlike MS who use freesync by amd, will use the vrr that will come automatically with hdmi2.1 (thus vrr being kind of built into hdmi2.1 from the get go and usable, im not an expert on those things) will be used by the ps5 as well as Sonys hdmi2.1 tv´s and this is still pending certification by the hdmi board what is what vincent says in the video i think?

Reallink

I hope they didn't use those broken Panasonic chipsets all the AVR's did and are hoping to silently cancel the feature to avoid a catastrophic level recall.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No SSD expansion (which probably is going to be moneyhatted, because that certification is going to be paid I assume), no vrr at launch, what else.

nyr88nyg

Banned
Depends if PS5 supports Freesync. Freesync and VRR in practice is the same, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to support just the HDMI standard.
I was under the impression that since I don’t have 2.1 then I can’t do 4k 120. Which I don’t really care about since it won’t be a feature in many games. I thought I could do VRR as long as it’s not 4k 120.

Banned
Depends if PS5 supports Freesync. Freesync and VRR in practice is the same, but I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to support just the HDMI standard.

yeah, looking at what they support (which isn't much) I would also bet that they will, if at all, only support VRR as in the HDMI standard. they don't even support 1440p, which would be super easy to implement... so I have no hope for Freesync.

yurinka

As I remember Sony mentioned PS5 supports VRR. I assume they will enable it in a future firmware update.

Probably the day one patch, who knows.

Krisprolls

Banned
Except games support vrr on the series x through hdmi 2.1

He means PS5 cable, the one included in the box, wasn't certified. It won't be long before PS5 supports VRR...

VRR will be on PS5 too. It's in the official features list.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Both systems support hdmi 2.1. The problem is that there are zero hdmi certified cables on the market. The only way you can confirm they are is through a qr code on the box. Yes you will get 2.1 cables but they weren't approved by the hdmi org.

VRR is a gimmick (on consoles).

Devs HAVE to optimize for stable 30/60fps because all TVs support that, but tiny minority supports VRR or 120Hz

So, stable static modes are must, and VRR maybe for some unlocked mode

They just cant be like "yeah let the game run 25 - 150fps and vrr handles it!" When all dont have it.

And it will be patched in most likely.

How many even have vrr tv, 0.1%? Many even use 1080p tvs

Banned
VRR is a gimmick (on consoles).

Devs HAVE to optimize for stable 30/60fps because all TVs support that, but tiny minority supports VRR or 120Hz

So, stable static modes are must, and VRR maybe for some unlocked mode

They just cant be like "yeah let the game run 25 - 150fps and vrr handles it!" When all dont have it.

And it will be patched in most likely.

How many even have vrr tv, 0.1%? Many even use 1080p tvs

have you played a single videogame in the last 10 years? variable framerates are way more common that completely locked ones.
and VRR helps mitigate the perceived stutters that come with dropped frames.

Sony said that the PS5 will support VRR. Calm down people. Think of all the bad news over the past few weeks and how they all turned out to be FUD (mostly).

Top Bottom