• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 price - Seems like MediaMark NL may have leaked it

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Not a chance. £450 (best case scenario) plus lets not forget as most seem to be doing a minimum £50 for a launch title and we're at £500. Early adopters will buy it of course but five hundred quid doesn't sit easy in the UK market. Certainly not at the moment too.
If I was to pick up the same stuff I did with my PS4 at launch which cost me £530 it would be £740
Thats a big difference

Unknown?

LMAO 100€ for a disk drive?
That's DOA

For 200€ extra you get 3x powerful GPU + 6GB More RAM + double SSD size + a disk drive on the Series X
Huh are you thinking Series S? Series X isn't 3xs the power of a PS5, it has same amount of ram, and doesn't have double the storage of a ps5. Literally everything you said was wrong except for the disc drive.

John254

Banned
If Sony sells 10 million units by the end of the FY, that March 2021, at $100 loss per unit equals to $1 billion loss Sony. At $200 loss, that $2 billion in the 4 months of launch. Having said that, I still believe the PS5 DE will come in at $399 at launch.
And now imagine, if this loss wasn't 100$ but 150-200$. That's the quarter of yearly Playstation revenue

XSX has a more powerful GPU, but not by much, it’s only 16% difference, while the PS5 has a much faster SSD storage architecture with custom I/O co-processors that will definitely set it apart from Xbox Series X, and you’ll see that in its exclusives.

are devs forced to use 4k on ps5?...that 16% diff might not be much if a ps5 game can put all its power at 1440p

something the seriesS wouldn't have the horsepower to run

lock2k

Banned
That pretty good prices if true.
Sadly I don’t pay these here in Brasil.

Watch Sony bring the PS5 to Brazil with a R$ 7999 price tag. Morons will pay, suck their balls and cheer for them on social networks. I hate this country.

Nester99

Its not $100 for a disc drive.

Its $100 for the ability to trade/rent/lend and be lent games from a friend.

Considering a game is like $80 now, its really pretty low if you have friends or like to trade games in.

ethomaz

Banned
Watch Sony bring the PS5 to Brazil with a R$ 7999 price tag. Morons will pay, suck their balls and cheer for them on social networks. I hate this country.
While I hate the price... I already made plans to buy it at day one.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
If that is the only option... yes.

No offense, but this is why companies will never respect this place. They prefer to sell 10 high priced units instead of 50 reasonably priced units. I'm almost on my 40's but I hope someday I can get out of here for good.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I wonder if they'll do another Ultimate Player Edition 🤔

ethomaz

Banned
No offense, but this is why companies will never respect this place. They prefer to sell 10 high priced units instead of 50 reasonably priced units. I'm almost on my 40's but I hope someday I can get out of here for good.
You are mixing things.
You not buying a product because it is expensive won't make it drop in price.
We need to vote in politicians that can better make a tax reform... high price is not the only issue with the system... everything is high price in Brasil today including our own basic food like Rice.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
You are mixing things.
You not buying a product because it is expensive won't make it drop in price.
We need to vote in politicians that can better make a tax reform.

I worked inside the gaming industry for 6 years and I owned a retail store. Trust me, it's not politicians. (they play a part, but not the whole part).,

I've been working in the auto industry since then and it's the same shenanigans. They know people pay, they charge whatever they want to. All rigged.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

Something tells me you don't know how to read. Let me re-quote myself:

Also, look at the tweet.

I know how to read just fine, thank you. But since I speak Dutch, in this case I don't need any tweets or somebody else's opinion in order to realize that this has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of "leak" whatsoever.

And now imagine, if this loss wasn't 100$ but 150-200$. That's the quarter of yearly Playstation revenue

Yup. It's a scary proposition for Sony. You are not going to make that $1 - $2 billion dollars back from their online ecosystem's profits for at least 2-3 years, which is half the lifetime of the PS5. I think Sony knows this, and that is why they had waited this long to release their prices for the PS5. Usually, prices are announced at E3 in June or a bit later, but never 2 months before the launching of a new generational console.

I know people are expecting the BOM to go down significantly over the lifetime of the PS5 and XSX. But I don't believe the drop in the component cost will be as dramatic or as significant as we have seen with pass consoles. These components in these next-gen console are high-end, technologically advanced specs. It's not going to be easy to produce smaller, more efficient update versions of these components during this gen.

Stafford

For what it's worth...

My brother who works at one of the two Mediamarkt stores here in The Netherlands, Groningen to be precise said MM is just speculating like everyone else.

ethomaz

Banned
I worked inside the gaming industry for 6 years and I owned a retail store. Trust me, it's not politicians. (they play a part, but not the whole part).,

I've been working in the auto industry since then and it's the same shenanigans. They know people pay, they charge whatever they want to. All rigged.
It is all the same in all places that is why we need for years a tax reform.
I family has a pet foods distribution company and it is exactly the same.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
It is all the same in all places that is why we need for years a tax reform.
I family has a pet foods distribution company and it is exactly the same.
Yeah, it fucking sucks.

But if people didn't buy expensive stuff in droves it would at least force companies not to treat us like clowns everytime - instead, they know Brazilians are stupid and pay whatever they ask. This is why cars who can be bought by averajoe joes in mere months are considered luxury vehicles here. I never buy consoles here, I always import them or buy them from other sources. I would never pay a premium like the PS4 which was priced R$ 4000 in 2013 - that was insane. Instead I imported it from amazon and paid R$ 1800 taxes included at the time. Now I moved to PC because consoles (which should be the reasonably priced end of gaming) became a complete luxury thing here and it fucking sucks.

LED Guy?

Banned
are devs forced to use 4k on ps5?...that 16% diff might not be much if a ps5 game can put all its power at 1440p

something the seriesS wouldn't have the horsepower to run
No I don't think they're necessarily forced to run all their all their games at 4K, we've seen with how games running at much lower resolutions with good reconstruction techniques look like, the problem like you said is with the Xbox Series S having problem running games that already ran at 1440p on PS5.

spons

Gold Member
The premise of this thread is fucking embarrassing. Media Markt says on that page that it's complete speculation.

And you can't pre-order it yet by the way, so that's nonsense as well.

Last edited:

Aggelos

MediaMarkt NL just updated their PS5 page with a "rumored price" of €399/499

Apparently pre-orders started there in NL. If this get's confirmed, it's pretty much as expected.

PGMfXcg.jpg

Last edited:

Exede

$399 for all digital would be huge! they are either breaking even at that price point or losing money.
They dpn´t need to get even with this console. They´ll make good money with it with every purchase one makes in the store. 60$ for them instead of 60$ - shipping - store margin - whatever i forgot. not even considering that physical is like always cheaper in general than digital.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Its not $100 for a disc drive.

Its $100 for the ability to trade/rent/lend and be lent games from a friend.

Considering a game is like $80 now, its really pretty low if you have friends or like to trade games in.

I think you are right, the low end SKU is going to be the loss leader to push more people into higher margin digital games. The disc version will probably be near break even.

chonga

I’m continually entertained by how many of you can’t wrap your heads around a 399.99 digital only version. Assuming the drive is 100 dollars. No you dunces. They will just take a steeper loss on a digital version because they will make it back on forced digital only purchases.
In areas where physical is more prevalent this works. In areas where digital is more prevalent it isn't that easy.

For example the US does quite well on digital, one of the main reasons is probably that new titles are typically the same price digitally as they are physically whereas in say Europe they're typically lower by a decent enough margin that buying digital just isn't very appealing.

On a full priced $60 game it depends whose estimates you trust, but taking an average, Sony/MS would make roughly $10 more on a digital sale vs. a physical sale.

So if your net loss on the digital console sale was $100 more compared to the optical drive version you would need to sell 10 games to every one who bought that digital edition to break even.

So far that sounds great, because I believe the current tie ratio sits around 15 games per console sold.

The trouble is people already buy digital games, so it is actually more than 10 games you'd need to sell because they're going to be buying those digital games anyway even if a digital edition didn't exist.

So going back to my earlier comment if your market is already buying more digital games then someone who buys a digital console is converting fewer of their purchases into digital. For example if the digital/physical split in the US is 50/50 (no idea what it is, maybe someone does, people keep saying digital is the majority now...) and assuming the tie ratio for this gen ends up being similar (15) then a digital console owner would be converting 7/8 physical purchases into digital ones meaning you're making $70/80 more than you would have otherwise done - not $150.

But it gets worse still, because the person who buys a digital console probably isn't your average user. So the ratio for their digital purchases probably isn't 50/50, but instead already favouring digital meaning it is even harder to recoup that $100.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Why? You think that the XSX is vastly superior? I can not wait for those DF articles and NXGamer videos to drop...
Well yeah... Better CPU, GPU, RAM.

SSD is not magically going to fix that.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Sony's still selling the PS4 Pro for $400. You're not going to get a brand new console that's twice as powerful for the same price.

People are setting themselves up for a huge let down.

Would Sony really charge as much for the full-fat PS5 as MS is charging for the Series X? Maybe I've just been on this forum too long, hearing about the power differential between them.

Yes, because they (Sony) didn't design the PS5 based on what Philip Spencer was doing.

Ignoring the brand new controller for PS5 (which introduces new costs via haptics and all that other shit) vs pretty much the same controller as last-gen for the Series S and Series X's, the consoles weren't designed to go after the same thing. The PS5 goes for speed > more trees in the distance while the Series X goes for more trees in the distance > speed. Neither approach is 'wrong', however, both approaches introduce costs that the other one doesn't have to deal with, i.e. SSD + I/O innovations for PS5, GPU for Series X.

So charging $500 for PS5 (I think it will be higher but we'll see) and charging $500 for the Series X makes sense as it's not the same $500 of design decisions. Sorta like the difference between a $500,000 Lamborghini and a $500,000 Rolls Royce. Their prices are justified as they're targeting different things.

lock2k

Banned
Sony's still selling the PS4 Pro for $400. You're not going to get a brand new console that's twice as powerful for the same price.

People are setting themselves up for a huge let down.

I can see them pricing it as $499 and dropping the price of the Pro at the same time.

ultrazilla

I hope it's $599 so all the salty people will say "fuck that" and I'll be able to snag one.

Search your feelings, you know you agree with me.

McCarth

If that was the price, they would have announced it by now.
What's the rush? If they were targeting $399 for the DE all along, there's no need to rush.

Sony's view might be that the vast majority of casual gamers would easily pony up the extra $100 from the Series S for what I'm sure their marketing will push to be 'a true next-gen console'.

If their announcement is along the same lines it'll be quite a punch. No need to be reactionary.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That pretty good prices if true.
Sadly I don’t pay these here in Brasil.

My friends when I told them that the PS5 will end up being sold at around 220 OMR ($572) and for PS5DE to be around 181 OMR ($470) they said I'm crazy because it's extremely cheap and should be sold at around 450 OMR ($1170) like the early gray market PS4's in November 2013!

I'm glad that Sony is going for international release this time around to avoid such filthy gray market attempts, I know plenty will fight to pay that much to get it. If it was the official price I have no problem at all, but we know it's not when it's 2-3x the official price.

Reindeer

If true then this is crazy value, you'd get 2.5 times more powerful GPU and 2.3 faster SSD for only $100 more. At $399 I could see this being a no brainer over Series S.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azurro

Banned
arent the ppl in europe getting scammed then? or they pay less tax?

The prices in europe include sales tax, which is of about 20% in many countries. So it's 400 euro and that's it, not 400 euro + German sales tax or polish sales tax or Czech sales tax.

Top Bottom