• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 price - Seems like MediaMark NL may have leaked it

Fake

Sony will have to take a loss, but if the rumors are true and the console price would have to be around 599 to break even, then a 200$ loss is substantial. Sony arent starting off with ps4 numbers, everyone is at 0 now and they have to think about the possibility that xbox may grow in numbers next gen. Especially with a 299$ xbox.

Sony then relied on their TV and HW devisions for help. Are they doing as well these days or is playstation the money maker?

its easy to say take the loss, but the repercussions are huge if it doesnt pan out.

The thread is about $499... keep that in mind.

VN1X

Banned
iu

Actually retarded?

replicant-

a blu ray drive is not a premium feature worth $100 (going from digital to disc-based), and if it costs Sony, let's say $450 to make the console and they profit $50 off of each disc-based version, why would they take a loss on the digital edition?

To make it competitive. If anyone of the two consoles takes a significant hit then it will be digital. The greater loss offset by the higher-margin, attachment rate and mau which naturally comes from an all-digital console.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
a blu ray drive is not a premium feature worth $100 (going from digital to disc-based), and if it costs Sony, let's say $450 to make the console and they profit $50 off of each disc-based version, why would they take a loss on the digital edition?
because like I said 100 off looks more enticing to the consumer than 50 off. As well as for digital games they dont have to: pay for packing, pay for shipping, pay licensing deals, have third parties sell their games, have used games make them 0 profit etc. Every game they sell digitally is money in their pocket and less in third parties like Walmart, game stop, Best Buy etc. They can take that 100 loss because they eventually will make more profit from selling their digital games on their own digital store.

MrS

Banned
The original post states that while they say this is a rumor, they are a reputable chain and the page was edited today. The last available version listed 499/599.

Also, look at the thread title.
Smells like bullshit.

Based on the PS4 launch price that means
£349 for the Digital Edition
£449 for the Disc Edition
As a UK gamer I can tell you now that Disc Edition needs to be £400 max
Those prices aren't gonna fly
Given £500 was the expected price, £449 will fly.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Oh my god some of you are actually thick, somehow forgetting how consoles have been priced throughout the years in the major regions. :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yes you thick cunts a 499eu console would be 499 dollars in NA and probably a 'lower' amount in the UK. It's not based on direct fuckin' exchange rates. Lmfao.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Sony will have to take a loss, but if the rumors are true and the console price would have to be around 599 to break even, then a 200$ loss is substantial. Sony arent starting off with ps4 numbers, everyone is at 0 now and they have to think about the possibility that xbox may grow in numbers next gen. Especially with a 299$ xbox.

Sony then relied on their TV and HW devisions for help. Are they doing as well these days or is playstation the money maker?

its easy to say take the loss, but the repercussions are huge if it doesnt pan out.

Per Bloomberg, they'd need to sell at 470 to keep the same gross margin:

EDIT: And this is from months ago. They ramped up production, which means costs are likely lower than that.

Last edited:

TheContact

Nothing is known about a definitive release date for both consoles at this point. It is expected that these devices will be for sale during the holidays of 2020. The price is also still unknown. Rumor has it that it varies by version. For example, the digital version of the PS5 would cost € 399 and the normal version € 499. Since Sony has not made any official announcements yet, it is still speculation what it will actually cost.

here's a translation of the full quote. this isn't a leak.

ethomaz

Banned
Possible.
If the digital edition PS5 is 399 i will likely just sell the few discs I have and buy them digital for cheap. It will be cheaper than buying the disc version PS5.
I believe the plan is to have bundles only on disc-PS5 model.

So PS5 disc-model + Horizon 2 = $499

If not then it is a dumb price.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The problem with retailers saying "the rumor is that the PS5 will be $499 and the all digital version is $399" is that it's going to be awkward if Sony can't deliver on those numbers.

Dodkrake

Banned
Something tells me OP doesn‘t speak Dutch.

Something tells me you don't know how to read. Let me re-quote myself:

MediaMarkt NL just updated their PS5 page with a "rumored price" of €399/499

Checking the page last update date goes against the update date they have set up. Last update was:

Apparently pre-orders started there in NL. If this get's confirmed, it's pretty much as expected.

Also, look at the tweet.

longdi

Banned
PS5 cannot be any where higher than $499 after MS.

Either they take a hit because somehow the hardware design went over budget

Or

Risks being seen as arrogant Sony is back with >$499. They have over-value their first party games, consumers are willing to pay more for less powerful hardware just to play SCE titles?? 🤷‍♀️

Roufianos

LMAO 100€ for a disk drive?
That's DOA

For 200€ extra you get 3x powerful GPU + 6GB More RAM + double SSD size + a disk drive on the Series X

Exact, no way does a disc drive cost a console manufacturer €100 to manufacture in bulk. Only way it would make sense is if they're purposely subsidising the all digital edition because they make more money on the games. I'd expect a €50 difference.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Fly off shelves more like.
You're mad, it'll officially be the most expensive console released in the UK. More then the PS3 was.
I got the PS4+Extra Controller+Camera+Stand+Charger+a game for the that price

Dodkrake

Banned
The problem with retailers saying "the rumor is that the PS5 will be $499 and the all digital version is $399" is that it's going to be awkward if Sony can't deliver on those numbers.

Based on the Edit on the page today, and the previous version being from July showing 499/599, it seems like they may have announced the price while saying its a rumor. This would give credence to the other rumor that Sony cut the price to 399/499 in lieu of XSX and XSS.

The Shepard

Based on the PS4 launch price that means
£349 for the Digital Edition
£449 for the Disc Edition
As a UK gamer I can tell you now that Disc Edition needs to be £400 max
Those prices aren't gonna fly

Trojan horse for digital if that's the price. I'd still get disk.

399$ for a diskless no? A diskdrive doesnt cost 100$.

Yea but they'd make a huge loss on the digital version with better returns on selling digital games where they make a much higher profit.

Just depends on how deep there willing to go.

Thats 'why' he can expect games price increase both physical and digital, but I guess some people are already used to because of Nintendo Switch standart prices.

Sorry, accidentally replied to you when it was aimed at the person you was replying to

Last edited:

John254

Banned

The point is that Sony will recoup way more with the Discless. That's all. It needs to be 100 difference. 50 will leave it DOA.
lol :D :D
I was just trying to point out, how much Microsoft sacrificed to get XSS this console to 299 (while still taking loss) and why 399 argument "just because you locked customer to digital ecosystem" is bullshit (because taking out Blu-ray drive will shave maybe 10-15 dollars from BOM cost).

And also I was trying to point out how stupid your comparison was (which it was). Because when you are selling a product with a profit (like Apple with their phones) you can do with prices whatever you want. With consoles, that are sold with loss, not so much.
And your answer is Red Herring :D :D

Are you sure they will recoup this cost? 399 for a console that has BOM cost +-450$ would mean that you will loose 150-200$ on every console sold(after other expenses around console like cut for retailers, logistics, R&D, license fees etc etc). Just imagine you will sell 3 millions of DE in first months. That would be 450 million dollars. Cool, right?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Can we make a thread for all the people who said $599.99 and lock them in there? Maybe let them eat eachother and release the last remaining few back into NeoGAF proper when most have perished?

Fake

Yea but they'd make a huge loss on the digital version with better returns on selling digital games were they make a much higher profit.

Thats 'why' he can expect games price increase both physical and digital, but I guess some people are already used to because of Nintendo Switch standart prices.

Dodkrake

Banned
You're mad, it'll officially be the most expensive console released in the UK. More then the PS3 was.

Pound value in 2006: Around 1.48 euro
Pound value today: Around 1.10 euro

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Everyone I know has been expecting £499, its not a shock.

Just bear in mind that due to inflation its basically inline with the £299 that the original Playstation was back in 1995.

Dodkrake

Banned
lol :D :D
I was just trying to point out, how much Microsoft sacrificed to get XSS this console to 299 (while still taking loss) and why 399 argument "just because you locked customer to digital ecosystem" is bullshit (because taking out Blu-ray drive will shave maybe 10-15 dollars from BOM cost).

And also I was trying to point out how stupid your comparison was (which it was). Because when you are selling a product with a profit (like Apple with their phones) you can do with prices whatever you want. With consoles, that are sold with loss, not so much.
And your answer is Red Herring :D :D

Are you sure they will recoup this cost? 399 for a console that has BOM cost +-450$ would mean that you will loose 150-200$ on every console sold(after other expenses around console like cut for retailers, logistics, R&D, license fees etc etc). Just imagine you will sell 3 millions of DE in first months. That would be 450 million dollars. Cool, right?

You are thinking short term, not long term.

PS5 has an attach rate of 9.6 games per console.

Playstation Store gets 30% of developer cut:

10 digital games at €/$60 with 30% cut = 180.

The PS5 digital is more profitable than the PS5 even sold at 100 cut.

To anyone saying the difference won't be that much, once again ill point out Sony makes more money from digital games than physical games, so pushing the digital version is in their benefit and they will easily make up a $100 difference over the life of the system.

You're mad, it'll officially be the most expensive console released in the UK.

What are on on about? Its the same price the Xbox One X launched at and the same price the Xbox Series X will launch at.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
PS5 cannot be any where higher than $499 after MS.

Either they take a hit because somehow the hardware design went over budget

Or

Risks being seen as arrogant Sony is back with >$499. They have over-value their first party games, consumers are willing to pay more for less powerful hardware just to play SCE titles?? 🤷‍♀️
Consumers are willing to pay more to play first party quality titles, yeah. I mean it's pretty obvious by now.

Sony will gladly take a hit on that 399 price tag if it's true. People have to buy their games from PSN, which means Sony makes more money in the long run.

Series S and PS5 DE are going to sell best, next-next gen won't have any disc drives anymore. Watch the used market slowly dying with this generation.
And they make roughly 40% more on each game sold through PSN. No Ratail cut, no price dumping because games live on the shelf for way too long. You have to buy that game at 70 bucks instead of 50 on Amazon.

Jtibh

Banned
I would pick the digital version for 500 if it would come with 2tb ssd.

You guys keep ignoring the fact that next gen games will be above 100 gigs , maybe lot less for indie titles but lets say on average 100 gigs.

So you jump up and down for the xss with its 500g ssd though its all digital. You will buy an extra ssd and all of a suden you are at 400 bucks if not more.

The ps5 digital with 1tb ssd at 400 is now the same as xss just way more powerful.

Is the ps5 fat less valeu as xsx af 500? I dont think so. It has some features and gimmicks xsx does not have and wont have.
You get less power but more features.
Just like the switch at 400 compared to ps4 at 400. Less power but more features play as you go etc.

The xsx is just an upgraded xbox x. More power but same concept.

All console prices are fair and within reach.
And with both offering a budget option we as customers are more reluctant to give both a shot and dont have to pick sides anymore.

All of you should be happy but instead all of you shit on eachother.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Everyone I know has been expecting £499, its not a shock.

Just bear in mind that due to inflation its basically inline with the £299 that the original Playstation was back in 1995.
Just saying they could do with knocking off 50 quid on the Disc Version

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

Jtibh

Banned
Sony will gladly take a hit on that 399 price tag if it's true. People have to buy their games from PSN, which means Sony makes more money in the long run.

Series S and PS5 DE are going to sell best, next-next gen won't have any disc drives anymore. Watch the used market slowly dying with this generation.

And they make roughly 40% more on each game sold through PSN. No Ratail cut, no price dumping because games live on the shelf for way too long. You have to buy that game at 70 bucks instead of 50 on Amazon.
With gamestop virtualy dead and retail after this covid crap also virtualy dead digital is here to take everything over.

I dont see the need to play any games from disc. So if it saves me a 100 bucks great.

I think dont quote me on it , that microsoft will have a digital series x sometime next year for 400 bucks as well.

ethomaz

Banned
here's a translation of the full quote. this isn't a leak.
The thread is fine because the ideia is that they are leaking the price saying too many times it is a rumor to not get caught by NDA.

They updated this rumored price today (before it was 599/499).
Coincidence?

Last edited:

I saw it. Hes says it himself in the vid that its gonna be very challenging for them to keep costs down.

Yeah they can offset from the store, but that doesnt change what i said. The HW is much "better" this time around than it was in 2013 and most pieces theyre using are still very expensive today, even if they did lower in price a bit.

Well see what happens, but id be stunned to see a ps5 at 399$. I dont think its gonna happen.

Orta

Banned
Fly off shelves more like.

Not a chance. £450 (best case scenario) plus lets not forget as most seem to be doing a minimum £50 for a launch title and we're at £500. Early adopters will buy it of course but five hundred quid doesn't sit easy in the UK market. Certainly not at the moment too.

Reactions: TGO
so for 349, $50 more than series S, I get 2 second load times, and 10TF of power that could go full 1440p instead of 4k if the dev wanted?

very attractive

TheContact

The thread is fine because the ideia is that they are leaking the price saying too many times it is a rumor to not get caught by NDA.

They updated this rumored price today (before it was 599/499).
Coincidence?

yeah this is what it used to say, but it still comes off as speculation. it was probably changed to better match the price of the xbox being $499

Nothing is known about a definitive release date for both consoles at this point. It is expected that both devices will be for sale during the 2020 holidays. The price is also still unknown. Rumor has it that the price of the PS5 will cost between $ 499 and $ 599, but this will depend on the version you buy.

LED Guy?

Banned
Would Sony really charge as much for the full-fat PS5 as MS is charging for the Series X? Maybe I've just been on this forum too long, hearing about the power differential between them.
XSX has a more powerful GPU, but not by much, it’s only 16% difference, while the PS5 has a much faster SSD storage architecture with custom I/O co-processors that will definitely set it apart from Xbox Series X, and you’ll see that in its exclusives.

I still don't think Sony can shave price of PS5DE to 399. They would loose ~150 200 dollars on one box which is insane.

I think they will believe that their launch exclusives combo and brand will be enough to carry 499/449 prices

If Sony sells 10 million units by the end of the FY, that March 2021, at $100 loss per unit equals to $1 billion loss for Sony. At $200 loss, that's $2 billion in the 4-month launch window. Having said that, I still believe the PS5 DE will come in at $399 at launch.

Last edited:

Fake

If Sony sells 10 million units by the end of the FY, that March 2021, at $100 loss per unit equals to $1 billion loss Sony. At $200 loss, that $2 billion in the 4 months of launch. Having said that, I still believe the PS5 DE will come in at $399 at launch.

That loss take into consideration the cost fabrication? I know that until there AMD will reduce the cost of some components.

Top Bottom