• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: "The Final Hours of Portal 2" [Now On Steam For PC/Mac]

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
StuBurns said:
Don't blame Geoff, want to blame someone for the charge it's Valve giving exclusive access to someone who's charging.

The HL2 final hours article was awesome, I'd have happily paid for it.

If someone wants to do one of these things about LMNO, get EA to give out assets and stuff, that'd be incredible.
Forkball said:
[..] I just don't want this to become a trend. "Wanna read my exclusive interview with Valve about Half-Life 2 Episode 3? Well you can... only on your iPad for $3!"

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Geoff, you done an excellent article and I am glad to see some great gaming journalism still going out there. Keep doing the good work, you deserve the praise on the quality and passion you have put into this. This is the kind of stuff that inspires many passionate gamers out there to bring out their creativity and enthusiasm to get into the game industry and this is one of the sole reasons on what I love about the gaming medium; developers coming from the most normal and humble backgrounds, changing and bringing joy to many peoples lifes over the globe.

Twig

Banned
M3d10n said:
This kind of stuff would be perfect on Steam too. Get Valve on it.
While I'd be glad to have it available on Steam, the fact that it's on iPad is what excites me most. Essentially replacing magazines and moving it onto the tablet, as all magazines should do (once tablets are more mainstream and not extravagantly overpriced). X:

I just wish e-ink had as much color/versatility as an iPad. I'd buy an e-ink tablet pronto. But I think the tech doesn't allow touch screens? I dunno. Haven't really looked into it that much. Mostly just waiting for color. </tangent>

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Forkball said:
I never said that. And it's not likes he doesn't get paid when he writes. I just don't want this to become a trend. "Wanna read my exclusive interview with Valve about Half-Life 2 Episode 3? Well you can... only on your iPad for $3!"
That is absolutely not the same thing. Crazy talk.

Oreoleo

Twig said:
While I'd be glad to have it available on Steam, the fact that it's on iPad is what excites me most. Essentially replacing magazines and moving it onto the tablet, as all magazines should do (once tablets are more mainstream and not extravagantly overpriced). X:

I just wish e-ink had as much color/versatility as an iPad. I'd buy an e-ink tablet pronto. But I think the tech doesn't allow touch screens? I dunno. Haven't really looked into it that much. Mostly just waiting for color. </tangent>

Nook Color

With touchscreen. Pretty sure it can be jailbroken and all that, too.

Edit: Though I guess it isn't technically e-ink, which was your whole point, I think.

I don't understand all the whining and talking of blame. You have a talented individual working with a talented group to provide a unique perspective on a unique product. Seems well worth a few bucks, especially when many of us complain about the absence of proper journalism in ad supported publication models.

Maxrpg said:
Wow, what an absolutely garbage way to advertise your product - by hyping up the only platform you can buy it on, thus making those who want it contemplate spending hundreds of dollars.

Only a moron would buy an iPad JUST to read this app. It's not hyping up anyone, quite the opposite.

ezekial45

Banned
I wonder why Kim Swift left? I went to the Portal panel at GDC 2008 and everything seemed to be going great. She left for Airtight games, but they don't seem to be doing much after Dark Void.

EDIT: My mistake. They've got something lined up for this year.

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
Nook Color

With touchscreen. Pretty sure it can be jailbroken and all that, too.

Edit: Though I guess it isn't technically e-ink, which was your whole point, I think.
Yeah, I want e-ink specifically, heh. LCD is usually fine for me but not when... reading, I guess.

Oreoleo

Twig said:
Yeah, I want e-ink specifically, heh. LCD is usually fine for me but not when... reading, I guess.

Marketing is stupid. Why can they call it an e-book if it doesn't use e-ink? grumble grumble

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
ezekial45 said:
I wonder why Kim Swift left? I went to the Portal panel at GDC 2008 and everything seemed to be going great. She left for Airtight games, but they don't seem to be doing much after Dark Void.

Still seems weird to leave such a secure job at Valve. They're one of the few stable boats in this crazy gaming economy right now.

captscience said:
I don't understand all the whining and talking of blame. You have a talented individual working with a talented group to provide a unique perspective on a unique product. Seems well worth a few bucks, especially when many of us complain about the absence of proper journalism in ad supported publication models.
A few bucks? Since when is an iPad a few bucks? Most complaining I see is from non-iPad owners. But hey Geoff addressed this already and it's coming to other platforms, so whatever.

StuBurns

Banned
chubigans said:
Still seems weird to leave such a secure job at Valve. They're one of the few stable boats in this crazy gaming economy right now.
She wasn't even working on Portal 2 either, which seems bizarre. To have essentially headed a game that became such a big deal to people, completely walking away from the series, then the company seems very strange. However she probably got paid very well for contribution to Valve, I think she'll be fine. I'm looking forward to seeing what the studio is doing, if she's directing it etc.

geoffmk said:
Glad you guys dig the app. Yes, it is definitely coming to other platforms -- and very soon. Thanks for your patience.

As to why I had to charge for the app, it cost quite a lot of money to put together. Professional photographers, programmers and designers all had to be hired. Right now I'm just trying to break even on my expenses. There is no advertising/marketing in the App, so the only way to recoup expenses is to charge a nominal amount for it.

Cool. When it does, I'll buy it simply because your HL2 Final Days was the most interesting writing on a game I've ever come across.

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
Marketing is stupid. Why can they call it an e-book if it doesn't use e-ink? grumble grumble
I always have to make sure I'm saying the right thing.

It is kind of annoying.

BigAT

snoopeasystreet said:
The fuck is with people complaining about it being an iPad app?

If it was an article in a magazine people wouldn't be complaining about it being exclusive to one thing.
You honestly don't see the difference? My cost to read the article if it's exclusive to a magazine is ~$5. My cost to read the article in its current form is at least $402.
geoffmk said:
Don't worry guys -- it's coming to other platforms WITH all the cool interactivity.
Good to hear, I look forward to reading it.

Akia said:
The app really gave me a newfound appreciation for Eric Wolpaw. He was so clutch on this project. Also, Gabe's response to Wolpaw's resignation in 2007 cements him as the best boss in the game business.

I added a few more pictures to the OP.

Cliff notes for us plebs who don't have an iPad?

Yeah, I really liked this app. Finished it off yesterday. I've been trying to make an app like this for the longest time but I just can't figure out iOS development. Doesn't help that I don't know any programming for anything.

chubigans said:
Why do people feel like Geoff shouldn't be allowed to profit from his work at all? I'm just curious.

Because people are idiots....

I look forward to it coming to Android or Steam so I can also get it. I don't have any problem paying for quality journalism. Interactive magazines on phones and tablets are the way forward and I can't wait for Edge to start pushing something like that out as well.

rezuth

geoffmk said:
Glad you guys dig the app. Yes, it is definitely coming to other platforms -- and very soon. Thanks for your patience.

As to why I had to charge for the app, it cost quite a lot of money to put together. Professional photographers, programmers and designers all had to be hired. Right now I'm just trying to break even on my expenses. There is no advertising/marketing in the App, so the only way to recoup expenses is to charge a nominal amount for it.
Don't worry about them, I appreciate that you took your own time and money putting it together. It's certainly one of the best purchases I have done this year besides Portal 2 :)

Forkball said:
I never said that. And it's not likes he doesn't get paid when he writes. I just don't want this to become a trend. "Wanna read my exclusive interview with Valve about Half-Life 2 Episode 3? Well you can... only on your iPad for $3!"
Don't embarrase yourself further.

captscience said:
The app is fantastic. I'd be more than happy to pay the price again to get more in depth pieces like this that represent proper journalism.
Me too, the pricing hit the sweet spot also.

I just beat Portal 2 this morning and have been avoiding all Portal 2 related threads until just now. That said, this looks awesome and I can't wait until I get home and can buy this.

Edit: My God at the complaining in this thread. It reminds me of this Penny Arcade comic.

Jenga

Banned
ezekial45 said:

loads of potential reasons

more money, higher position, better location, you know

everything a person might move to another job for

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
NekoFever said:
What the fuck? You mean I'm going to need a computer to read the PDF version when that comes out?

Yes, you'll need the most widespread and common platform in the world to read it. Not some novelty device only Apple drones have.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Glad there are other versions planned, I'll just wait for one that will be on a device I own. Even if it was an exclusive app forever, all relevant info will eventually end up in wikis and forums so there would be no real harm done to the fans who want to know more, I don't see the point in getting angry about it. I don't mind paying a certain amount for it either as the content appears to be worth it.

Twig

Banned
Jenga said:
loads of potential reasons

more money, higher position, better location, you know

everything a person might move to another job for
I think at the time she said she had friends at Airtight. I dunno, though.

Saty

Who's going to post a thread about the top-secret project in development that won't be released in another 5 years that Gabe mentions in this piece?

Izayoi

Banned
NekoFever said:
What the fuck? You mean I'm going to need a computer to read the PDF version when that comes out?
Wow. If you honestly don't understand why people were upset when they thought it was iPad only I really don't know what to say to you.

Good to hear it's coming to other platforms. I assume that means PC as well, right? I don't do fancy smart-devices.

Forkball

chubigans said:
That is absolutely not the same thing. Crazy talk.
The point is, it's a single story that Geoff's charging for on an exclusive platform. If this proves successful, are you telling me that he or other writers aren't going to try to do the same thing? Do people want this to become a trend?

Don't embarrase yourself further.
Sorry for thinking charging for a single story on a tablet few people have compared to the typical medium for stories like this is ridiculous.

dream

Forkball said:
The point is, it's a single story that Geoff's charging for on an exclusive platform. If this proves successful, are you telling me that he or other writers aren't going to try to do the same thing? Do people want this to become a trend?

I'm almost positive people are going to do the same thing regardless of how success Geoff's experiment is. The Area 5 guys launched an iPad magazine a few weeks ago and it's probably not a bad idea. It's not like iPads are niche devices.

Spire said:
Yes, you'll need the most widespread and common platform in the world to read it. Not some novelty device only Apple drones have.

And this, boys and girls, is clueless Apple hater who doesn't even do a very good job at hiding it.

Forkball said:

You are doing what you feel is right and voting with your wallet. I'm doing the same - voting with my wallet. With all the crap journalism nowadays it's refreshing to read a well-written and thought-of piece, even if I have to pay extra for it.

Tobor

Orellio said:
Ebooks have been around a lot longer than e-ink.

I use to read them on an old Palm Pilot.

Izayoi

Banned
Castor Krieg said:
And this, boys and girls, is clueless Apple hater who doesn't even do a very good job at hiding it.
Maybe because he wasn't trying to hide it? Not everyone wants your overpriced garbage, you know.

M3d10n

Twig said:
There's various kinds of color e-ink being worked/researched on. Some of them with fast enough refresh rates for animation.

rezuth

Izayoi said:
Maybe because he wasn't trying to hide it? Not everyone wants your overpriced garbage, you know.
If thats what you have to tell yourself to be able to sleep at night, thats fine. I do have to ask you to say it somewhere else though, this is for discussing the great app and not port begging or just generic "Apple makes overpriced crap".

StuBurns

Banned
I just want to say because I mentioned I wanted a non-iPad version of the article, I'm not an Apple hater, I have a MacBook and an iPhone, I just personally don't see the value of the iPad yet.

SPEA

chubigans said:
Why do people feel like Geoff shouldn't be allowed to profit from his work at all? I'm just curious.
Because the video game community feels they're entitled to everything and all should be free.

Mrbob

Will grab this once it is up for pc!

BigAT said:
You honestly don't see the difference? My cost to read the article if it's exclusive to a magazine is ~$5. My cost to read the article in its current form is at least $402.

Such entitlement. How dare you want this on a device most people have.

Akia

Twig said:
I think at the time she said she had friends at Airtight. I dunno, though.

There is a new tidbit that was mentioned in Geoff's article that could be one of the reasons as to why Kim left.

I can't wait until all the usual suspects here experience the piece so that we can start speculating on all this new info.

Tain

Wait, the text is available freely, and people are complaining about the app itself being for the iPad?

nice.

Top Bottom