• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: "The Final Hours of Portal 2" [Now On Steam For PC/Mac]

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Castor Krieg said:
And this, boys and girls, is clueless Apple hater who doesn't even do a very good job at hiding it.

I'm sorry, am I wrong? It doesn't matter if he released it only for iPads or only for Zunes, he released it on platform with a relatively small userbase. It was a fucking stupid move that left the vast majority of people who want to read this with no option other than pirating it. By the sound of it he's scrambling it rectify his mistake, but it should have been obvious from the get-go.

Tain said:
Wait, the text is available freely, and people are complaining about the app itself being for the iPad?

nice.

Where?

Spire said:
I'm sorry, am I wrong? It doesn't matter if he released it only for iPads or only for Zunes, he released it on platform with a relatively small userbase. It was a fucking stupid move that left the vast majority of people who want to read this with no option other than pirating it. By the sound of it he's scrambling it rectify his mistake, but it should have been obvious from the get-go.

Where?

Second this!

I'm not complaining about the price. I would gladly pay $5 for the content, but being iPad only is what most people are complaining about.

dream

Spire said:

There are probably more iPad owners than Portal 2 owners...

sam27368 said:
The interactive portion is a great idea to help combat piracy.
Really?
I haven't been following the iPad piracy and homebrew scene (Note: I'm not saying Homebrew = Piracy so put the banhammer down) but I'd be surprised if it wasn't cracked wide open. Piracy is rampant on the iPhone, after all.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
I assure you there is no scrambling going on. I want to make sure other versions live up to the iPad experience (if the platform supports a similar experience).

Baha

chubigans said:
If it's on the internet, it's not a legal copy. So let's stop asking about it. :p

If it's an illegal copy then nevermind but Tain shouldn't mislead those of use who want to read it without stealing it.

Zomba13

snoopeasystreet said:
The fuck is with people complaining about it being an iPad app?

If it was an article in a magazine people wouldn't be complaining about it being exclusive to one thing.
Well if it was in a magazine I could go buy it for around £5 or less. Seeing as I don't own an iPad I'd have to spend a couple hundred. I think I should be allowed to complain about that.

I'm sure the interactive stuff is amazing and the whole article will lose meaning without it, but couldn't he, you know, put it on the internet? I'm not saying for free, he deserves to make money off it if it really is a great thing, but iPad only is a bit silly. Why not set up a website or a place to download it from once you pay a price or something? Or get a website/magazine to run it if they paid a price for it or something?

LCfiner

I bought this app ASAP once I saw it was available. I loved Geoff's previous "final days" articles.

But i'm waiting till I finish portal 2 before I read it all. Slightly concerned about spoilers.

StuBurns

Banned
Thanks guys, found them, I've already read HL2, but I think I'm going to give the MGS2 one a read, I know that game had a fucked up development towards the end.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I liked it overall and thought it was worth the purchase. Would like more interactivity, maybe audio interviews...video? Interviews, more exclusive behind the scenes stuff. Basically, more of everything.

Getting this makes me REALLY want an iPad version of the MGS digital comic book with full voice over.

Good job!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
StuBurns said:
She wasn't even working on Portal 2 either, which seems bizarre. To have essentially headed a game that became such a big deal to people, completely walking away from the series, then the company seems very strange. However she probably got paid very well for contribution to Valve, I think she'll be fine. I'm looking forward to seeing what the studio is doing, if she's directing it etc.

If their next game bombs, I think it'll be the end of Airtight and she'll hop back to Valve.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Geoff...might want to fix that mgs2 final hours link. Doesn't work or is it me?

Interesting read on hl2. Might give it another try, but I get severe motion sickness and I could't get through it last time.

Why portal 2 and tf2 are fine with me is still a mystery.

Twig

Banned
M3d10n said:
There's various kinds of color e-ink being worked/researched on. Some of them with fast enough refresh rates for animation.
I know color's being worked on (just waitin' for it), but I didn't know they were getting close to animation. O: O:

One of the best pieces of writing on videogames I've seen, and mega informative about where Valve is going and how they work creatively. Well done Geoff.

GlamFM

Banned
Read it just after I finished Portal 2. Awesome game - GREAT read.

It is very well made too - reminds me of the wired app.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I adore reading about the game development process, despite Geoff's melodramatic style. Enjoyable top to bottom, when Geoff was on the pulse he did a great job, but yeah, maybe a bit more subtle next time. More or this, please, game journalism industry. :)

Yoshiya

This thread is hilarious. The iPad is a great big touchscreen slab. None of you can understand why that's an ideal and unique way to present a mixed-media article? Really? You're incensed that this isn't available as a PDF or pay-gated flash site (as if he'd be able to make that sell, hahaha, the bitching in that thread would top this one) I don't own a 360, and you know what? I don't get to play Xbox 360 games. It's a fucking crime against humanity that I can't, I know. I'd get out and protest but I'm incapacitated by the sheer weight of my own sense of entitlement.

Empty

glad geoff returned to doing the behind the games pieces as the wealth of first hand information in them is just so interesting to read, especially as we don't often get access to that stuff, and i thought his career had diverged from doing things like this. hopefully it'll do well on ipad and encourage more well presented and researched articles like this, as well as create a market for similar style articles from other writers (with maybe better writing styles). thumbs up from me, will definitely buy when it's available elsewhere.

Vice

geoffmk said:
I assure you there is no scrambling going on. I want to make sure other versions live up to the iPad experience (if the platform supports a similar experience).
Will there be a version for Android tablets?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The line about Portal 2 potentially being Valve's last single player only experience was a little scary. The five-year game mustache twirl at the end was also, you know, mustache twirl --

-- y.

Hylian7

I don't have an iPad, I badly want this. Also, after seeing that they were formerly from Pixar, I KNEW Portal 2 gave me a Wall-E vibe for a reason.

Also, that Wheatley plushie, when are they going to start selling those?! My girlfriend has expressed interest in one as well if it were to ever exist.

Burger

Purchased and read the whole thing today. It was excellent, I only wish it was longer!

It was great to finally read a long format article surrounded by rich media, videos that didn't need to buffer and high res photographs everywhere. It really added to the experience.

I didn't care for the 'interactivity' bits very much, I thought they were largely superfluous, and didn't really add anything, nor were they particularly interactive.

But solid, solid work. Hope you make some money Geoff, and damn right you should.

Gassey

Banned
dream said:
There are probably more iPad owners than Portal 2 owners...

Probably? Hahaha. Saying that the iPad has a tiny userbase is laughable.

It's a great app. I can't think of a better way to monetize it than to put it on the iPad. (lolmagazine?)

mandiller

I loved the app. I recommend it to all Valve fans and I have no problems paying for it. It would've taken a lot of work to get this story and multimedia together to create this. Well worth it.

I can't believe he released something on the platform that allowed him to deliver the story in the format he wanted and at a cost that would allow him to recoup his costs. What a prick.

StuBurns

Banned
I've just read a little of it, I'm going to have to wait for it to come to a non-iPad platform till I can read more, but I'm pretty surprised Kim's concept for Portal 2 got discarded. While I don't really agree the Braid/R&C 'recording' of actions is a good idea in a 3D environment, time dilation seems a really natural fit for Portal. I could easily imagine something akin to those blue light tubes in Portal 2 that speed up and slow down time, having the player position the tubes to speed up a platform so it's in place for a box to land on it etc.

I think the goo in Portal 2 is a little incongruous and while the orange goo is an interesting addition in terms of allowing horizontal acceleration to be used for vertical lift, a light tube that speeds up time would have the exact same effect.

If Kim is working on a bootleg Portal 2, I'll be there day one to buy it.

Vyer

lol @ the whining. I don't have an iPad, but I recognize how great it is for something like this article with interactive elements. What's even more funny is that if this had been a thread about an article released with multimedia for everything but it cost money, we would have a lot of 'What? I'm not paying money for a news article!' responses. Knightley was smart here to pick this outlet for it, particularly if he needs to recoup some of his personal cost.

Massa said:
This thread is the perfect example of why port begging is banned on this forum.

Yup.

Spire said:
I'm sorry, am I wrong??

Yes. Castor is right. And there are a shitload of iPads out there.

Zomba13 said:
Well if it was in a magazine I could go buy it for around £5 or less. Seeing as I don't own an iPad I'd have to spend a couple hundred. I think I should be allowed to complain about that.?

About as much as complaining that you can't play Uncharted 2 because you don't have a PS3.

Rez said:
The line about Portal 2 potentially being Valve's last single player only experience was a little scary.

This. Half-Life 3 being co-op only would be my biggest gaming disappointment ever. BTW, Geoff clarified that this was something Valve told him and not his speculation:

Dan asks, “At the very end of the article you write that ‘Portal 2 will probably be Valve’s last game with an isolated single-player experience.’…Was this based on reading general industry trends, or something specific you heard from Valve?”
Good eye! This is coming from Valve, although I don’t have a lot more to share other than what is in the story. I agree it’s a provocative statement, especially given the amazing single player storyline in Portal 2. Keep in mind Valve said “probably,” so I get the feeling that this could change.

http://thefinalhoursofportal2.com/blog/finalhours/welcometotheblog/

JaseC

Valve isn't the sort of developer who would shoe-horn MP into a game. If an MP component is to be a part of Episode Three/Half-Life 3, it's not going to be half-arsed. More specifically, if it's "forced" co-op, an ever-present companion is going to be written into the narrative well and not thrown in there for the sake of it a la Capcom and SHIVA! SHIVA! 5.

Edit: Oh God, I typed "their" instead of "there". :(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Akia said:
The app really gave me a newfound appreciation for Eric Wolpaw. He was so clutch on this project. Also, Gabe's response to Wolpaw's resignation in 2007 cements him as the best boss in the game business.

I added a few more pictures to the OP.

can you elaborate on this story?

golem

Doublesith said:
This. Half-Life 3 being co-op only would be my biggest gaming disappointment ever. BTW, Geoff clarified that this was something Valve told him and not his speculation:
That would be disappointing indeed.. once again I think the success of a few multiplayer games is going to everyones head. Single player is what (still) sells games, we've already gone through this before!

JaseC

beelzebozo said:
can you elaborate on this story?

If I'm not mistaken, Wolpaw was having rather serious health issues and went in to hand his resignation as he couldn't function at work. Gabe told him that his job at Valve was to get better, so he sent him home to his wife and said to come back when he's in better shape.

Top Bottom