• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: The Vita version of Rayman Legends is missing content from the other versions

Famassu

Didn't seem to mention them reaching out to Ubisoft, which is unfortunate. We need members of the press to contact Ubi to increase our chances of an answer.

I do think press should hold out until the retail version comes out before they jump on board with this. For all we know, Ubisoft was planning on a day one patch and had no idea people would find out that the Invasion levels weren't there on the cart. Unlikely, but that's what we should wait.
Well, a friend told me the Vita version's trophy list also lacks any kind of Invasion level related trophies, so I now doubt it's a day 1 patch. Could still be DLC... :'(

VanWinkle

Well, a friend told me the Vita version's trophy list also lacks any kind of Invasion level related trophies, so I now doubt it's a day 1 patch. Could still be DLC... :'(

Yeah, the Invasion trophies aren't there. But there's also no trophies for beating any of the worlds in the campaign like the PS3 version has. So while that is reason for concern, it's not necessarily indicative of anything. Plus, they can add trophies in a patch. In fact, if they are not in the pre-hypothetical-patch, it would make sense, so people who don't connect their Vita to the internet can still get a platinum without being forced to connect and download the patch.

mr_chun

I have a retail review copy of the Vita game.

I can confirm that the Teensy count is 615, which is 85 less than the PS3 version. The Invaded levels have three Teensies a piece to earn, so that's 28 levels not included. That's assuming that all of the missing Teensies come from Invaded levels, which I can't confirm because I have not unlocked them all yet.

Story mode and Back to Origins Teensy counts match on both games, and the Vita exclusive Murphy levels don't have Teensies so far as I can tell.

The Invaded levels take less than a minute each but usually require a few tries, so there is a minimum 30 minutes of content missing. I've been getting them done in a few attempts so realistically it's about two hours.

Still working on unlocking the Murphy levels, so no comment on how that content stacks up.

Opinion. Crummy that they haven't mentioned it, especially after that press release that floated around in May said the Vita version featured all of the content of the console versions (though I'll admit that that press release was never sent to me, nor did I ever see it on an official Ubisoft outlet... it was translated from Eurogamer Spain IIRC).

Still though... it's a handheld port that costs significantly less in North America. And it's really great aside from the missing levels. I would have been satisfied with the amount of content at the given price point.

I have a retail review copy of the Vita game.

I can confirm that the Teensy count is 615, which is 85 less than the PS3 version. The Invaded levels have three Teensies a piece to earn, so that's 28 levels not included. That's assuming that all of the missing Teensies come from Invaded levels, which I can't confirm because I have not unlocked them all yet.

Story mode and Back to Origins Teensy counts match on both games, and the Vita exclusive Murphy levels don't have Teensies so far as I can tell.

The Invaded levels take less than a minute each but usually require a few tries, so there is a minimum 30 minutes of content missing. I've been getting them done in a few attempts so realistically it's about two hours.

Still working on unlocking the Murphy levels, so no comment on how that content stacks up.

Opinion. Crummy that they haven't mentioned it, especially after that press release that floated around in May said the Vita version featured all of the content of the console versions (though I'll admit that that press release was never sent to me, nor did I ever see it on an official Ubisoft outlet... it was translated from Eurogamer Spain IIRC).

Still though... it's a handheld port that costs significantly less in North America. And it's really great aside from the missing levels. I would have been satisfied with the amount of content at the given price point.

Thanks for the confirmation. I don't disagree that the game seems to have a lot of content without the invasion levels, but the deceptiveness and the principle of it are what bother me about this. Plus honestly I'd rather pay more for the "complete" game on another console (or the same price on steam for that matter) than play it on Vita with less content. Even though I was planning to get it on Vita before now.

Purexed

Banned
I'm just happy I'll have a cheap way to experience the game on Vita, after the inevitable price drop in a month or two. Looks ace, but Diablo 3 and GTA will own my September.

mr_chun

Unless that Eurogamer Spain press release was 100% legit, Ubisoft never said either way whether it was an exact copy or not. At least not to my knowledge.

I suppose you could call it deceptive, but I never expect handheld versions of multiplatform retail games to be complete. And I wouldn't have expected it here either had I not seen that press release.

*shrug*

The Invaded levels are fun, but they're short bonus levels at heart. The bulk of the content is still there. It's your money, of course. But as it stands, this is still one of the Vita's very best games, even without those levels.

baconcow

Unless that Eurogamer Spain press release was 100% legit, Ubisoft never said either way whether it was an exact copy or not. At least not to my knowledge.

It is right on the Official Ubisoft forums in black and white: "Rayman Legends on Vita includes all of the original Rayman Legends content, as well as five exclusive maps playable with Murphy, the greenbottle fly seen in previous Rayman games, controlled through the Rear Touch Pad."

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...yman®-legends-leaping-onto-playstation®-vita?

The invaded levels are original Rayman Legends content.

mr_chun

Good find. Are you positive that the Invaded levels were "original" content? What's their definition of original?

Good find. Are you positive that the Invaded levels were "original" content? What's their definition of original?

Lets not debate semantics. Invaded levels are original Legends content in EVERY version 360/WiiU/PS3/PC excepting the Vita. Therein, their promised statement is quite false :0(

To me original means "the content in the other versions."

At the very least we can all agree it's a very misleading way to word things.

baconcow

Original content would be, in my view, something only available in Legends. I cannot play the invaded levels in Origins or any other game, hence it it original to Legends. Ironically, the game still includes non-invaded versions of the Origins levels, does it not? Tempted to switch fron Vita x2 to Wii U and sacrifice portability (sadly, on the Vita that I play far more, too).

Famassu

I'd have cancelled my pre-order if I didn't get it for a little over 20£ and if I wasn't such a sucker for playing Rayman on Vita. I'll just doubledip with either the PS3 or Wii U version (if I have the console by then) when it drops in price enough.

EDIT: I mean, for me it's either the super-cheap Vita version that I happened to snatch up or NO version for a while. So I pick Rayman in my life over no Rayman in my life, even if it's lacking in content a bit.

Yeah, the Invasion trophies aren't there. But there's also no trophies for beating any of the worlds in the campaign like the PS3 version has. So while that is reason for concern, it's not necessarily indicative of anything.

Vita version has no levels at all, confirmed.

mr_chun

Lets not debate semantics. Invaded levels are original Legends content in EVERY version 360/WiiU/PS3/PC excepting the Vita. Therein, their promised statement is quite false :0(
I'm not arguing one way or another. It's simply unclear. It doesn't flat out say "the Vita version has the Invaded levels", so we're left to interpret what they meant. I read it as original content, as in the content that was in the original WiiU version that may or may not have included these levels.

Again, I feel like they should have clarified better. But I don't see this as being as despicable as others are making it out to be. This isn't the first time developers have gimped a version of a game and failed to mention it. And it's really not gimped. The core content is there. The multiplayer is there. And all but one of the bonuses are there, plus an exclusive bonus.

Velcro Fly

I don't know how saying a port has all the content is in any way unclear.

Also the core content isn't all there. 28 invaded levels and 85 teensies are missing. This isn't a bonus. It's a huge chunk that I'd be willing to say is 15-20% that is now gone. Also saying this isn't the first time a dev has been completely scummy doesn't excuse it from happening this time. It's as wrong now as it was any other time it's happened.

I am going to check out the demo myself to see how it plays on VITA. I might bite if there is a Week 1 PS+ discount but otherwise i have decided to wait it out for now.

BTW in case anyone missed it, VITA demo will be up on US Store tomorrow.

baconcow

I'm not arguing one way or another. It's simply unclear. It doesn't flat out say "the Vita version has the Invaded levels", so we're left to interpret what they meant. I read it as original content, as in the content that was in the original WiiU version that may or may not have included these levels.

Again, I feel like they should have clarified better. But I don't see this as being as despicable as others are making it out to be. This isn't the first time developers have gimped a version of a game and failed to mention it. And it's really not gimped. The core content is there. The multiplayer is there. And all but one of the bonuses are there, plus an exclusive bonus.

Invaded levels are not exclusive if they are available on the Wii U, PS3, PC, and Xbox 360 versions of the game. The Vita Murphy levels are excluaive bonuses and have no Teensie amounts. These have Teensie amounts. One of the progranming the game obviously saw a difference between the Invaded levels and Vita bonus exclusive levels.

Sintoid

I'm getting Vita version so I can play it 2 hours per day (train to work)
Someday I will double dip with PC version

BTW does PCPS360WiiU Rayman Legends have online multiplayer?

sono

Another request for a statement from Ubisoft on this one please. I dont believe there would be a technical space reason for this as others have also said.

Some Vita games are already over 3g (e.g jack and daxter triology)

Another request for a statement from Ubisoft on this one please. I dont believe there would be a technical space reason for this as others have also said.

Some Vita games are already over 3g (e.g jack and daxter triology)

A lack of space is definitely not why the levels didn’t make it in. I honestly can’t think of a legitimate reason why they would do this. It just doesn’t make sense.

A lack of space is definitely not why the levels didn’t make it in. I honestly can’t think of a legitimate reason why they would do this. It just doesn’t make sense.

The only reason I can think of is the guys doing the Vita version ran out of time. They had a hard date to hit, and that was it. The Invasion levels weren't done, so they weren't included.

VanWinkle

The only reason I can think of is the guys doing the Vita version ran out of time. They had a hard date to hit, and that was it. The Invasion levels weren't done, so they weren't included.

That's what I think too. Different guys doing the port, and they wanted to get it out at the same time as the console versions. I just hope they do the right thing and include them via a patch.

Yeah, it’s that or they simply thought that because the Vita version is cheaper they decided to simply cut out some content. Whatever the reason...I just want a damn statement from them!

hlhbk

Wow this is really suprising considering how the Vita really needs to get 3rd party support behind it (I say this as a loving Vita owner BTW). So glad I decided to preorder the PC version.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

That's what I think too and that just makes me frustrated. If they couldn't get it done in time then the solution is simple. Delay the game. I'd rather get a complete Vita version a couple months late than get an unfinished product on time.

Velcro Fly

Yeah I feel like this is what happened as well.

It would be an amazing show of good will to patch them in though. I would definitely do a 180 and support the game if they were doing that.

Dang, I just about pre-ordered this yesterday. I hope they address this via patch or free DLC. I really enjoyed Origins on the Vita, and this version is $20 cheaper. I might just end up getting it anyways.

XJNVlCK.gif

DirtyLarry

This does suck, but I am still double dipping and picking up the Vita version as well. I loved the hell out of Origins on the Vita, it was truly the perfect game for the handheld itself, so I will still be picking it up. Hopefully they do the right thing and include these levels in a patch later down the road.

Here's a video showing off the Vita version, which as you can see is indeed missing lums on the counter in the upper right. Same, cause going by the video the port looks great otherwise.

Also, wanted at excuse to bump this thread because the game is coming out tomorrow and I want to make sure people see this before making a purchasing decision.

Still no statement from Ubisoft. I sent an email their way myself but no response yet....

I'll buy it eventually.... When it's cheap.
I don't feel too bad about not having it play on my Vita, Killzone comes out tomorrow after all. :)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I was thinking, maybe the Vita version is exactly what the Wii U version would have been, had it released in February? Since it's a different developer, maybe they gave the then finished Wii U version to them to port to PSV and didn't communicate all that much anymore. In order to compensate for any additions made to the other versions, they decided to make five bonus levels on their own instead (which in turn are not in the console version because the teams didn't work very closely with each other).

I was thinking, maybe the Vita version is exactly what the Wii U version would have been, had it released in February? Since it's a different developer, maybe they gave the then finished Wii U version to them to port to PSV and didn't communicate all that much anymore. In order to compensate for any additions made to the other versions, they decided to make five bonus levels on their own instead (which in turn are not in the console version because the teams didn't work very closely with each other).

I think that's exactly what happened. The Legends content at least.

However, the Back to Origins stuff and the multiplayer soccer minigame were also made after the February delay from what I understand, and those still made it in. Maybe because they're more separated they found that easier to just drop in? Who knows. So they clearly did do in and add new content later.

Definitely think that's what the starting point of this missing content was, though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I hope they didn't waste their additional time on a soccer mini game, they could have better used it to make 5 more music levels :(.

Edit: We also don't know when they decided to make a Vita version, probably not right away, so the soccer game and the Back to Origins stuff could have been done by then.

My guess is either the speed of them gave the inferior hardware of the vita fits so they dropped it.... or they are going to release it as paid dlc to milk the version of the game they make the least money on.

zroid

Banned

interesting theory... seems plausible

Top Bottom