• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Tomb Raider (PSN-DD version) does not have online-only DRM

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes we know you need the internet to install and download. But if my internet is down I can still play my installed Steam library same as I can my console library I like that feature. Remember everyone screams that they want an all digital future but dont want the bullshit that may be tied to it.

Also someone mentioned about having Steam offline issues, if you make sure you have cookies accepted and log in to the website then put the client into offline mode it will run fine, it seems it has stored your user details so offline mode will function correctly. Worked for myself and my brother no problem.

That would be the very same person. ;)

dose

So pay more money for a version that you have to be online to play, can't easily play on other PS3s, and can't resell? Yep, fuck you Square Enix.

I think steam's offline mode only works if you set it to offline mode after you'd connected to it online. So connect to it online and then set it to offline mode. Offline should then work without an internet connection.

Or if you remembered to shut the client down before you shut down Windows.

I thought about this before I replied.

If this bothers people you should just buy a retail copy. It's sadly, inevitable but at least you have a choice at this point.

If this bothers people you should just buy a retail copy. It's sadly, inevitable but at least you have a choice at this point.

Hopefully Dragons Dogma DA doesn't have this problem since it's not available to Europeans on a retail disc unless they import. Would definitely be a sign of things to come if they did this for that game too.

This is an excellent PSA, especially because this type of PSN DRM is so rare. It's also a good reminder to myself and all PSN users to keep checking the terms as new items come out.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Terrible practice, but yeah doesn't affect me at all. I'm never not online with my PS3, and if there's maintenance or an internet outage..whatever..I'll live. But, no, I wouldn't voluntarily buy a game like this unless it was default for all games.

Espada

Yeah, this does not bode well for the future at all. People brushing this off simply because they have internet access don't realize that it renders your game completely worthless once servers go down and the game in question is no longer supported.

You basically bought a time bomb that loses its value the moment the publisher wants to pull the plug.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah, this does not bode well for the future at all. People brushing this off simply because they have internet access don't realize that it renders your game completely worthless once servers go down and the game in question is no longer supported.

You basically bought a time bomb that loses its value the moment the publisher wants to pull the plug.

That's essentially how all digital games are these days, regardless of drm. One day they will no longer be available. The end. Even with a game like Tomb Raider, I'd buy it, play it, beat it, probably platinum it, and never touch it again. Why would I care if I don't still have it 15 years from now? If it was the physical copy I would have just sold it anyway. The only people that get affected by it are hoarders.

epmode

That's essentially how all digital games are these days, regardless of drm. One day they will no longer be available. The end. Even with a game like Tomb Raider, I'd buy it, play it, beat it, probably platinum it, and never touch it again. Why would I care if I don't still have it 15 years from now? If it was the physical copy I would have just sold it anyway. The only people that get affected by it are hoarders.

"lol y u play old games?"

Harlock

Even Capcom don´t do this even more with your PSN games. Very shit move. A full main single player game that you can´t play without login at PSN. What a lot of times is not possible because your internet connection or PSN maintenance.

GameSeeker

An "Internet Access always needed" game automatically gets boycotted by me.

This will leave me $60 to spend on other games from other companies that don't have "always online" DRM.

MMaRsu

Banned
This shit really doesn't bother me. I've never played a game offline this gen. Not once

Sure, so when the internet ISP goes down, or the service from XBL or PSN then Im sure you wont mind not being able to play a game you bought. A singleplayer game mind you.

lantus

Is there any piracy on PS3? If not, is the whole point of this DRM to combat used sales in a sense? By that I mean basically turning a download into a physical copy by only being able to access it in one place at a time.

Is there any piracy on PS3? If not, is the whole point of this DRM to combat used sales in a sense? By that I mean basically turning a download into a physical copy by only being able to access it in one place at a time.

There is piracy on the PS3, but I don't think such a move would bother people that do it all. We can completely rule out piracy concerns as the reason for this move.

Harlock

Share accounts. To avoid that, Square fuck everyone.

Sure, so when the internet ISP goes down, or the service from XBL or PSN then Im sure you wont mind not being able to play a game you bought. A singleplayer game mind you.

You could just play another game?

(Obviously not if this is the normal going forward but it's not at the moment.)

Do we know that this will happen? Wouldn't it be incredibly simple for publishers to release a patch disabling any DRM should they stop supporting the servers?

Edit: Using something like EA turning off multiplayer servers as an example would be erroneous because that's a different kettle of fish to a single player title.

I'm an expert

"lol y u play old games?"

Er, not exactly. But does anyone reasonably play every single game they've ever owned for the rest of their life? I have mountains of old games in my old basement, I even sold a bunch of the big price ones here on gaf because as an adult I will never go back and play them. I will never play Cobra Triangle, or Primal Rage, or even Code Veronica again, even if they have rereleases.

Revven

Is this killing gamesharing?

I mean, it seems pretty obvious that's what its intentions are. Even though Sony lowered the amount of PS3s one account can be shared on (only 2 now instead of 5). I don't see how gamesharing is as much of a problem now to warrant DRM in a full DD game... it's just being paranoid.

Aeana

Er, not exactly. But does anyone reasonably play every single game they've ever owned for the rest of their life? I have mountains of old games in my old basement, I even sold a bunch of the big price ones here on gaf because as an adult I will never go back and play them. I will never play Cobra Triangle, or Primal Rage, or even Code Veronica again, even if they have rereleases.
Cool, so we've established your playing profile. Now let's look at other people. Plenty of people actually go back and play older games. Not "every single game they've ever owned," but perhaps their favorites. And these favorites differ depending on the person, clearly. Don't assume that everyone is just like you and only plays games once and gets rid of them, because that's a very poor assumption.

Harlock

This is Sony fault too. First to allow this kind of DRM in single player games and second because this is hide in the description. Is not clear. Most people will buy this game like buy others day-1 digital titles. To be fair, Sony needs put a sticker or something way in the face for PSN games with online DRM.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
but sony allows you to own the product on two PS3s. How can they then restrict you to only one per 24 hour period? that makes no sense.

jimi_dini

Er, not exactly. But does anyone reasonably play every single game they've ever owned for the rest of their life?

Not every single game.

But if it's good/great/superb, of course I do. In fact only 2 years ago, I finally beat Codename ICEMAN from Sierra, which I bought 20 years ago.
okay okay ICEMAN is not a really great game, was still fun though

If you don't, then you should immediately sell games right after playing. Anything else is wasting money.

Harlock

but sony allows you to own the product on two PS3s. How can they then restrict you to only one per 24 hour period? that makes no sense.

Allow almost all the PSN games. But Sony has this DRM online tool if the publisher choose to use. In the past only multiplayer games used, like WarHawk. After that our japanese friends at Capcom choose to use in games like Final Fight Double Impact.

Tomb Raider I think is the first full retail AAA game to use this DRM. Not a good signal for the future of games in the PS4.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Allow almost all the PSN games. But Sony has this DRM online tool if the publisher choose to use. In the past only multiplayer games used, like WarHawk. After that our japanese friends at Capcom choose to use in games like Final Fight Double Impact.

Tomb Raider I think is the first full retail AAA game to use this DRM. Not a good signal for the future of games in the PS4.

that sucks. I can maybe understand it when they had 5 devices allowed, but I thought the restriction to 2 devices was to counter sharing. Now this.

I mean, it seems pretty obvious that's what its intentions are. Even though Sony lowered the amount of PS3s one account can be shared on (only 2 now instead of 5). I don't see how gamesharing is as much of a problem now to warrant DRM in a full DD game... it's just being paranoid.

Exactly. "No more than one activated PS3 system within a 24 hour period. " This is bullshit and I hope its not how PS4 works. We have 2 PS3s for me and my brother, we play on the same account, each of us must now wait a day to play it on his console? Wtf.

lucius

Square-Enix likely demanded it if they wanted to put it up digital, Sony should have just told them to screw themselves but they didn't so they are to blame also. Bioshock Infinte does not have the same stupid drm listed in it's info so that won't have it. If most games go this way in future I might be done with console gaming all together and hope they all crash and burn.

nib95

Banned
Horrible, just one more negative to digital downloads. No doubt they'll find more ways to screw people with digital later down the line.

Horrible, just one more negative to digital downloads. No doubt they'll find more ways to screw people with digital later down the line.

If you can, buy the disc. The only way digital is even considered is if it is dirt cheap. Paying full price for this tom foolery is garbage.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Square-Enix likely demanded it if they wanted to put it up digital, Sony should have just told them to screw themselves but they didn't so they are to blame also. Bioshock Infinte does not have the same stupid drm listed in it's info so that won't have it. If most games go this way in future I might be done with console gaming all together and hope they all crash and burn.
I do wonder if Sony appearing only to feature other kinds of games (i.e. not this draconian DRM) in its Day-1 Digital push is a sign that they're aware of what a turd-bomb this kind of DRM is. That is, they're not willing to put any game up on the Day-1 Digital page if it has this kind of DRM.

And if they are aware of the backlash this kind of thing creates, what will it mean when they start promoting PS4 content?

Edit: Also, is God of War: Ascension not going to be available digitally? I haven't seen it promoted on the store yet, so I wonder what's up there. Just too big? Or it too will have DRM like this? :) I guess God of War 3 ain't up...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Completely ridiculous that they require this
Completely ridiculous that these garbage terms are not flashing and highlighted on the description

BosSin

This doesn't make sense. If the disc version doesn't have always-online DRM, pirates would be able to just obtain copies of that

Top Bottom