• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSM: PS4 specs more powerful than Xbox 720

Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear the stuff Gaf says is ridiculous. If Sony so chooses to once again have the highest spec console why would that dramatically inflate its price? What contributed to the PS3's price and extreme loss of marketshare was the Bluray player that was shoehorned into the console. It was a gamble that Sony won by ensuring it would be the dominant player for HD movies, games and other applications but it was a loss in the sense that the extreme success of the PS1/PS2 weren't repeated. Ultimately though their strategy was forward looking and for it, Microsoft and Nintendo will have to either adopt Bluray and possibly pay out royalties or they can either focus on digital download which wont happen or opt to once again go with basic dvd drives and ship what will likely be larger next gen games on even more numerous amount of dvds.

Honestly, the Vita should reveal Sony's new strategy or what is actually a return to its former self. They are selling the Vitas are a reasonable price possibly unfair to Sony considering the price the 3ds debuted with. Im sure Sony recoup much of the market that it lost to Microsoft. Though Microsoft is king in the US for now, who's to say it will remain that way? All Sony has to do is release the PS4 within 6 months are a comparable pricepoint with stellar launch games, a refreshed emphasis on player connectivity and interaction and truly focus on building a bond or community. If they couple that with Microsoft marketing, I guarantee Sony will once again retake America(s). The ingredients and signs are there. They have a strong 1st party team, they offer the best variety of exclusives per genre, the Vita is a sign of their new pricing strategy and the Uncharted 3 commercials were hopefully a sign of what all future in house games marketing will be like.

Sony just needs to ensure that the PS4 is backwards compatible and easy to be developed for and port to so they'll be the leading platform. This will end the conception that their ports are all terrible as Im sure that's hurting their third party sells. This will result in better third part sells and third party relations, more consoles being sold, positive word of mouth and increased customer loyalty. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot by rushing to be the first out of the gate with 360. Its high failure rate will ensure it sees less customers next gen. The door swings both ways as the same holds true for Sony though it was on a much lesser scale with the fattys but that coupled with the hacking incident personally weren't as tarnishing.

Im hoping Sony doesnt pull a Nintendo and half ass the hardware. I want my Killzone to blow minds. They will hopefully have a great cpu and cpu and ample ram/memory and a decently sized hard drive.

It begins....Thanks for this amazing post. And I mean that in a non-sarcastic way. GAF can't survive another cataclysm of SONY LULZ...

duk

Banned
real question is how many GAF fanboys will die this coming E3? how many are going down for their beloved brand

nasos_333

The only gaming system I have is a highend PC...

I noticed nothing gameplay wise that The Witcher 2 did that couldn't be done on modern consoles or even with older tech. Hell I've seen better A.I. in Nintendo 64 games. Metro 2033 had meh A.I. and didn't use physics much at all from my memory but then again I only got to the half-way point. Just two games off the top of my head.

Some good examples.

Indeed, plus Witcher 2 is coming to xbox 360 and looks spectacular visually

StuBurns

Banned
The Witcher 2 is a DX9 game, designed with a 360 pad in mind. It's not really representative of PC exclusive gaming as a whole. That's not to say I personally think PC gaming is showing anything 'next-gen' really.

I'm not sure what leap would make me think that really. The Samaritan maybe, we'll see how close people get to that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Witcher 2 is a DX9 game, designed with a 360 pad in mind. It's not really representative of PC exclusive gaming as a whole. That's not to say I personally think PC gaming is showing anything 'next-gen' really.

I'm not sure what leap would make me think that really. The Samaritan maybe, we'll see how close people get to that.

other than the 360 pad part, thats *exactly* representative of PC gaming as a whole.

'PC exclusive' is pretty thin on the ground, and 'PC exclusive really pushing the technical boundaries like crysis did' is pretty much non-existant.

DailyVacation

Neo Member
PS4 is more powerful... except in the RAM department.
PS3 all over again.
It'll take a miracle for Sony's execution to be sound. They've fallen flat on PS3, Go, Move, and so far Vita...
Nonetheless I have faith that things can change for them.

Rapstah

I am certain that all three companies will do things that coalesce into the worst possible scenario for all of them. And they will have no way of having known.

DOPing

I noticed nothing gameplay wise that The Witcher 2 did that couldn't be done on modern consoles or even with older tech. Hell I've seen better A.I. in Nintendo 64 games.

Well, I don't think anyone ever said that TW2 did something completely new in terms of gameplay. Honestly, even the choices you made had more meaning in the first game. Still, it is one of the best looking games from the last year.

And I don't think that gameplay mechanics are being held back by the hardware since the arrival of PS360. Maybe we will see bigger seamless worlds with this new gen, but gamplay wise I don't think we are in for the revolution (unless you count kinect or other gimmicks as revolutionary). What I want to see aside from increased graphic fidelity is better animations (as well as facial expressions - they, among other things, are what's keeping us at the bottom of the uncanny valley), physics model (we are just beginning to see some shitty implementations of fluid dynamics) and real environment destruction to become universally applied in all games, like graphical shader effects are now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
PS3 all over again.
It'll take a miracle for Sony's execution to be sound. They've fallen flat on PS3, Go, Move, and so far Vita...

PS3 was fantastic, just expensive at the start. I'd have liked a better GPU but the rest is excellent. Free online took a while to catch up with live, but its good now

Go was great, just hampered by contracts/licenses done in a time of physical media meaning not all games could be made available on PSN.

Vita is awesome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
And I don't think that gameplay mechanics are being held back by the hardware since the arrival of PS360. Maybe we will see bigger seamless worlds with this new gen, but gamplay wise I don't think we are in for the revolution (unless you count kinect or other gimmicks as revolutionary). What I want to see aside from increased graphic fidelity is better animations (as well as facial expressions - they, among other things, are what's keeping us at the bottom of the uncanny valley), physics model (we are just beginning to see some shitty implementations of fluid dynamics) and real environment destruction to become universally applied in all games, like graphical shader effects are now.

I think PC games are being held back graphics-wise, due to emphasis on developing for consoles, with PCs getting a port.

But gameplay-wise I think they've benefitted massively from consoles having enough power to start doing more expansive games.

Anteater

Will the developers be able to tap into the power of the system though?

What if they could only tap into 50% of its potential :eek:, isn't that what happened with the ps3? I remember developers were like "we only get to use half of its powah".

Is that speculation or knowledge?

I think he was trying to imply PS4 will be a repeat of PS3. That on paper, it will seem powerful, but come with some fatal flaw. Because everyone knows it's Sony's fault Bethesda's games won't properly run on PS3's split memory pool. /sarcasm off

I think he was trying to imply PS4 will be a repeat of PS3. That on paper, it will seem powerful, but come with some fatal flaw. Because everyone knows it's Sony's fault Bethesda's games won't properly run on PS3's split memory pool. /sarcasm off

The memory reference was very specific. Looked hrough his post history, he may have some connection to the games industry, one post indicated that.

Globox_82

Banned
I am more interested in what Sony does with PSN then if it is "more powerful". They need to try to get COD crowd. Improving Dshock and PSN is the key imo.

Consoles are becoming more and more like a service. Ton of people would not trade XBL even if nextbox was only 50% of the PS4 in therms of power.

pottuvoi

Banned
Consoles are becoming more and more like a service. Ton of people would not trade XBL even if nextbox was only 50% of the PS4 in therms of power.
2x power is not a very big difference, most gamers notice it. (Wii has pretty much 2x power advantage to GC and additionally has more memory and so on..)

Is there any point in trying to outspec? Didn't Microsoft play their "no games with features that exceed 360 capabilities" card recently?

If that's the case, even if MS released a more powerful console, would it be in Sony's interests to keep the specs down, threaten to not publish any game that doesn't perform equally on both systems, and then sit back and watch as all the Xbox titles are PS4 ports?

monome

I am more interested in what Sony does with PSN then if it is "more powerful". They need to try to get COD crowd. Improving Dshock and PSN is the key imo.

If having PS4>XBOX720>>(?)WiiU has cost Sony a lot more money than what MS or Nintendo paid in R/D, then it is the equivalent of financial seppuku as no sane 3rd party dev' will make a blatantly superior game for PS4 for fear of angering their MS/Nintendo consummers.
It's been said a lot, but devs willalways cut out on fps and resolution if it helps making a game's presentation more appealing. And I'm pretty sure software can leverage hardware when it comes to that meaning the mighty PS4 games won't look better in advertising and, again, how can a dev' put out a shit framerate XBOX version while taking the time to push the PS4 version to its max?

Globox_82

Banned
If having PS4>XBOX720>>(?)WiiU has cost Sony a lot more money than what MS or Nintendo paid in R/D, then it is the equivalent of financial seppuku as no sane 3rd party dev' will make a blatantly superior game for PS4 for fear of angering their MS/Nintendo consummers.
It's been said a lot, but devs willalways cut out on fps and resolution if it helps making a game's presentation more appealing. And I'm pretty sure software can leverage hardware when it comes to that meaning the mighty PS4 games won't look better in advertising and, again, how can a dev' put out a shit framerate XBOX version while taking the time to push the PS4 version to its max?
not sure what your point is. But for example if PS4 turns out more powerful but yet easier to develop for (compared to PS3) and/or on par with nextbox, then one would assume that most of the devs would use PS4 as their lead platform. Just like how some are already doing it on PS3. What publisher wouldn't want their game to look the best possible during E3 for example?
That might be what Sony wants, to take that back and became the lead platform for next gen. I would be very very happy with that as future exclusive PS4 owner.

Cornbread78

Can we all agree to say the fanboy wars, if both systems are shown at E3 will be EPIC!!! I really can't wait to sit back with my giant bag of popcorn like Shaq and watch. Product launch news in 2012 will make it, truly, the E3 of forever!

tumblr_llkx3wTFjQ1qdnkzoo1_500.jpg

Hopefully Sonty can learn from their mistakes with the PS4 developement, marketing and price wise, and launch another great product, but this time at a great price and closer to the next XBox.

Woudl it be a pipe dream to seek nothing less than a minimum of the following specs for a next gen system:

Quad core processor (equvilant)
4 GB of Ram
500 GB hard drive?

Is that too progressive? If a PC can launch less than $300 bucks with those specs and include accessories........

Globox_82

Banned
Can we all agree to say the fanboy wars, if both systems are shown at E3 will be EPIC!!! I really can't wait to sit back with my giant bag of popcorn like Shaq and watch. Product launch news in 2012 will make it, truly, the E3 of forever!

tumblr_llkx3wTFjQ1qdnkzoo1_500.jpg

Hopefully Sonty can learn from their mistakes with the PS4 developement, marketing and price wise, and launch another great product, but this time at a great price and closer to the next XBox.

Woudl it be a pipe dream to seek nothing less than a minimum of the following specs for a next gen system:

Quad core processor (equvilant)
4 GB of Ram
500 GB hard drive?

Is that too progressive? If a PC can launch less than $300 bucks with those specs and include accessories........

personally I am over console wars, for a few years now.

If PS4 is even less powerful I am still going pS4, because I tend to own only one console each generation, have been with PS from PS1 (although I had Dreamcast in between). I love Sonys IP's and prefer their strategy with providing a lot of exclusives. If they improve PSN even by 30% there is really no reason for me to pick nextbox. Unless PS4 is 999euro and nexbox is 499. Then duh.
WiiU is not something I care about. But I like to follow the industry and can't wait for all 3 press conferences. I hope they all do well.

TheOddOne

Sony 'not contemplating' future console talk, says House
Sony isn't contemplating talking about "anything to do with future console iterations at this point", Sony Computer Entertainment president, Andrew House has said.

Ahead of much PS4 speculation over the past week, House told CVG at Japan's December PS Vita launch that the electronics firm is "just entering into this great period for PS3".
He said: "I don't think we're contemplating talking about anything to do with future console iterations at this point.

"But one thing I always point to is that, somewhat in contrast to our major competitors, we have, particularly with PS2, managed the length of the lifecycle and ensured its profitability for our publishing partners for a much longer lifecycle than has been true of the competition.

"I would say that's in part because of the global reach of Sony from a distribution, infrastructure and marketing standpoint. Because in many markets, we work alongside really long-standing, established operations in electronics, we're able to migrate out into rather more emerging markets much more easily and sustainably than is possible for some of our competitors."

Pushed further on his thoughts on the next generation, the affable and well-spoken exec said that, in his view, there are still "significant barriers" for game streaming on HD consoles, and physical media is still "the easiest consumer experience".

"There are clearly a lot of opportunities [in the future] with regard to business models around games, all of which we're interested in and are exploring," House said.

"Some of our group companies already have a stake in free-to-play models and so on. But in my view, for the very highest quality high-definition console gaming, I think there are still some significant barriers to streaming solutions.

"Whether it's in mobile or cloud-based services, there are opportunities there for more casual content and in our case potentially for legacy content, which we would definitely like to explore. But I think we are a way away from being able to deliver the full-on top-end experience like that.

"The scale of data involved and issues around latency do mean that, at least for now, the easiest consumer experience is from physical media. Although, having said that, we're starting to see some growth in the number or proportion of our consumers that want to access their content via download. But I think it's still pretty small."

PS3 all over again.

what's wrong with vita? besides the botched umd-->vita & pricey memory cards, I don't think sony has done much wrong with vita.

Globox_82

Banned
that interview was back from December, so before these recent leaks. I still find it funny that people haven't learned that "10 year life cycle" doesn't mean "No PS4 for next 10 years". I mean as he himself says, look at PS2. It's still alive, and PS3 is out for over 5 years now OMG SHOCKEDZ!

E3 reveal here we come hahahah Still long ways people before release. Fall 2013 almost 2 years. Plenty of games to play and trophies to collect.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
His comments about maximising the life cycle, via new and emerging markets and all that, actually if anything sound like a nod to a potential transition - but that partners (nor consumers) should worry about PS3 business drying up, and they've a good record of that etc. I think it's interesting he volunteered that, it does sound like 'preparatory talk' if you like.

KageMaru

PS3 all over again.

There is nothing wrong with the Vita, other than it's name. =p

not sure what your point is. But for example if PS4 turns out more powerful but yet easier to develop for (compared to PS3) and/or on par with nextbox, then one would assume that most of the devs would use PS4 as their lead platform. Just like how some are already doing it on PS3. What publisher wouldn't want their game to look the best possible during E3 for example?
That might be what Sony wants, to take that back and became the lead platform for next gen. I would be very very happy with that as future exclusive PS4 owner.

Why do you assume most would lead on the PS4? The main reason it happens now is because it's easier to port from the PS3 to the 360 than the other way around.

If both systems are roughly equal in power, but one provides better tools for their next console, it's likely that system will be the lead. Especially if publishers want their games to look the best for E3.

Of course system sales will also play a role in which console becomes the lead. If the Ps4 soars while the next xbox tanks, development focus could shift.

Averon

Even if the recent rumors are true, no way will Sony or MS willingly confirm or deny it. Giving an answer will just feed more rumors. Anyway, it's standard procedure to deny new consoles/price cuts/etc are coming up until the moment it is officially announced.

monome

I'm a good console consummer, but if PS720 is once again about whose console has the best performance, then I'll get a PC>1000$ and be done with it.
I can wait for Halo 5 or Gears 4 for XBOX720, and Uncharted 4 for a PS4 and can always sell back both consoles and games once I'm done with those games SP and MP.
I'm probably not the only one.
Neither MS nor Sony want that to happen, so I'm pretty sure their consoles will be on par and there will be a few stage fights but will still work together to make console gaming the de facto mass gaming solution rather than trouble average joes like me in having to wait for a tech analysis of a games performance before choosing which version to support.

pestul

The differences in power will once again be marginal and they will only serve as magazine cover bragging points.

As a post earlier mentioned, I just hope all 3 manufacturers make complete systems that don't have clearly apparent weaknesses (ram/gpu/storage). I know.. sounds like it should be a one console future right?

LosDaddie

Banned
Can't wait for E3. :)

In the end, if the PS4 is only marginally more powerful than Xbox3 (like PS3 > 360), then I doubt the extra "power" will be a difference maker next gen. Extra "power" like that takes a dedicated 1st party studio to realize. Even then, it may not matter much. The PS3 is technically more "powerful", yet games like Gears3 are easily on par with games like Uncharted 3.

What's going to matter even more next gen will be connectivity. But I'm all for these dick waving contests before the next gen starts.

Pistolero

Power will be a moot point, unless Microsoft decides to go balls out and take a huge loss on the hardware -highly improbable-, in which case Sony's ability to go toe to toe would be questionnable form a financial angle. But there is only so much you can pack in a closed box for a reasonable budget these days, and given how every player is subjected to the tyranny of technological and cost constraints, the two consoles will be relatively similar in terms of performance once again.
Sony will have to step up its game with regard to PSN and building an even better integrated network -the Vita seems promising-. At least it's first party stable is amazing...

Power will be a moot point, unless Microsoft decides to go balls out and take a huge loss on the hardware -highly improbable-, in which case Sony's ability to go toe to toe would be questionnable form a financial angle. But there is only so much you can pack in a closed box for a reasonable budget these days, and given how every player is subjected to the tyranny of technological and cost constraints, the two consoles will be relatively similar in terms of performance once again.
Sony will have to step up its game with regard to PSN and building an even better integrated network -the Vita seems promising-. At least it's first party stable is amazing...

Not really.

Sony is an electronics company with the ability to refit their own plants with ease and strong ties to other electronics companies. What has given them so much trouble in the past is multiple completely unique type of hardware. For the PS3 it was the Cell, the xdram, the rsx, and the blu ray diodes. If sony decides to step back from pushing the envelope with totally unique tech, they could probably build something very powerful and forward looking, without running themselves into the ground.

StevieP

Banned

Just like they used XBox as their lead platform all the time last gen.

bigjoytron said:
You should reread that post and what it was responding to.

Some things just aren't worth responding to. Like the assertion that anyone would be "jelly" of bullshots.

real question is how many GAF fanboys will die this coming E3? how many are going down for their beloved brand

The better question is how many meltdowns, and how many "I'm done with gaming!" posts will there be. You know, when its revealed that the PS4/720 aren't the 6 core, dual gpu, 8 gigs of ram behemoths that some people are expecting and demanding.

Combat is the worst aspect of the HL games, improving with each sequel, but still lacking the highs of Halo.

...neither part of this is really considered to be accurate. HL1 had fairly sophisticated military enemies who utilized cover, cleared out rooms with grenades, and flushed out the player from hiding. Their behavior was widely considered to be the pinnacle of FPS enemy behavior to date and the fact that humanoid enemies like the Combine soldiers in HL2 don't pursue and corral the player in the same fashion has often been cited as one of the things that was worse about the sequel.

It does support the core point you're making, though: sophisticated AI is the result of good design, not brute-force power from the CPU. Behaviors that create an enemy that feels responsive and challenging have been implemented many times in the past; the only barrier to this being done in the future is the willingness to devote time and effort to it, not the power of the systems.

zoukka

The better question is how many meltdowns, and how many "I'm done with gaming!" posts will there be. You know, when its revealed that the PS4/720 aren't the 6 core, dual gpu, 8 gigs of ram behemoths that some people are expecting and demanding.

No. The first few years people will "believe" in the hidden power of these machines. Just like in any generation. Only DennisK and Brain_Stew will critisize the specs at first.

Wow, that really tripped me out hearing some of you talking about backwards compatibility and thinking, "Oh yea, PS2 games". It will be PS3 games... that's crazy. It's going to be so weird playing a PS3 game on a PS4. I'm so used to PS2 games on PS3, looking so dated and 4:3 (sometimes) and 480p. PS3 games will still look pretty damn good...

duk

Banned
If we take a few things into account:

- sony's overall financial situation
- focus back on TV market, which is not doing that great
- focus on Vita, which is barely launching
- PS3's lifecycle, prob started making money recently
- learned from high price of PS3 (hopefully)
- prob will launch within 6months of xbox 3, will not let xbox 3 have huge start
- PS4 will have similar size and power budget as PS3 when it launched
- current global economy situation

Then we can surmise that ps4 at BEST, will be around power of xbox 3. Focus is not on power guys, it won't be anymore... it'll be on exclusive content and services much like this gen but even more so. There is no reason for PS4 to be anything more than $400, there won't be anything expensive like BR was for PS3.

I think we need to check our expectations power wise when it comes to next-gen. The big 2 will be plenty powerful but not uber like some are expecting. There's no reason they need to be. People in this day and age can't afford another gen of high h/w prices.

AzaK

- prob will launch within 6months of xbox 3, will not let xbox 3 have huge start

Then we can surmise that ps4 at BEST, will be around power of xbox 3. Focus is not on power guys, it won't be anymore... it'll be on exclusive content and services much like this gen but even more so. There is no reason for PS4 to be anything more than $400, there won't be anything expensive like BR was for PS3.

I think we need to check our expectations power wise when it comes to next-gen. The big 2 will be plenty powerful but not uber like some are expecting. There's no reason they need to be. People in this day and age can't afford another gen of high h/w prices.

I hear ya, but it makes me sad when "the big 2" always seems to leave out the oldest, most profitable, and most unit selling company of the three. :(

Log4Girlz

Yeah I'm thinking its "399 or die".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom