• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSM: PS4 specs more powerful than Xbox 720

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sure Sony recoup much of the market that it lost to Microsoft. Though Microsoft is king in the US for now, who's to say it will remain that way? All Sony has to do is release the PS4 within 6 months are a comparable pricepoint with stellar launch games, a refreshed emphasis on player connectivity and interaction and truly focus on building a bond or community. If they couple that with Microsoft marketing, I guarantee Sony will once again retake America(s). The ingredients and signs are there.

I thought no one cared about what happens in the U.S. and it was all about the worldwide figures. That's what I learnt from the NPD threads at least.

Marco1

Why do people assume the new 360 won't be as powerful as PS4 when financially MS are so better equipped to produce a more powerful console.
I can't help but feel that MS know this only to well. The only reason PSM has done this is for magazine sales.

Log4Girlz

Why do people assume the new 360 won't be as powerful as PS4 when financially MS are so better equipped to produce a more powerful console.
I can't help but feel that MS know this only to well. The only reason PSM has done this is for magazine sales.

BOM will be eaten by Kinect.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BOM will be eaten by Kinect.

That's the scenario where there could be a bigger difference, but it also assumes Sony isn't assigning a good portion of their own budget to something other than processing power too.

We'll just have to wait and see.

If their philosophies are aligned, the timing is aligned, the price target is aligned...I expect there can't be much difference. But I agree that the first variable there is a bit of a question mark.

Log4Girlz

That's the scenario where there could be a bigger difference, but it also assumes Sony isn't assigning a good portion of their own budget to something other than processing power too.

We'll just have to wait and see.

If their philosophies are aligned, the timing is aligned, the price target is aligned...I expect there can't be much difference. But I agree that the first variable there is a bit of a question mark.

Welp, all I can say is, its going to be one hell of a wait until next E3.

Log4Girlz

Yeah me too. If one of the three is going for 4 GB it's probably going to be Sony though, if only because they might have an edge by being the last one out.

I'm going by the same reasoning. Its not like I'll be shocked it it went with less than 4 GB, but I get this sneaking suspicion they want to reeeally future proof that bitch and have multi-plat games be extra polished and shiny on their system.

if only because they might have an edge by being the last one out.

Not safe to assume either, although I also believe that might happen (being the last one out, not launching a machine with 4 GB of RAM - unless you're talking about a unified memory pool of 4 GB, I think both consoles will have around that amount).

DCKing

No assumptions are safe at this point, but the buzz does indicate Sony is going to be the last one out. None of the buzz indicates any of the consoles is going to be a powerhouse though ;)

Log4Girlz

No assumptions are safe at this point, but the buzz does indicate Sony is going to be the last one out. None of the buzz indicates any of the consoles is going to be a powerhouse though ;)

I think the Vita is a pretty good indicator of what to expect from the PS4. Affordable off the shelf parts that still provide absolutely excellent graphics. In a way the PS4 will be both cheaper, yet a more intelligently designed and powerful system (for its given time) than the PS3 ever was.

DCKing

If the PS4 is going to have the same philosophy as the Vita, then it could look something like this:

- AMD Trinity quadcore processor with built in GPU with ~400 SPUs
- or hexacore version of the Wii U CPU with more cache and other goodies
- 2 GB GDDR5/XDR2 unified RAM
- 512 MB extra RAM for OS and networking stuff
- AMD GPU with some 1000+ SPUs

Log4Girlz

If the PS4 is going to have the same philosophy as the Vita, then it could look something like this:

*imokwiththis.gif*

I think the Vita is a pretty good indicator of what to expect from the PS4. Affordable off the shelf parts that still provide absolutely excellent graphics. In a way the PS4 will be both cheaper, yet a more intelligently designed and powerful system (for its given time) than the PS3 ever was.

Vita has a lot to prove at this point, as far as its reception goes, lest Sony sees that as a pretty good indicator of what people don't necessarily want. But we're really just speculating based on very little useful info, let's wait until at least after this E3.

DieH@rd

Banned

Sounds OK. I would maybe go with highend 4 module buldozer and 3gb of ddr5.

Proelite

Having a Trinity CPU is probably going to be more of a cost saving measure than a performance boosting measure. It just screams of cobbling together off the shelf parts at the last minute. Having CPU and GPU totally separate is much better use of die space and silicon.

StevieP

Banned
Having a Trinity CPU is probably going to be more of a cost saving measure than a performance boosting measure. It just screams of cobbling together off the shelf parts at the last minute. Having CPU and GPU totally separate is much better use of die space and silicon.

No it isn't. Whether it's an APU or a CPU+GPU if Sony decides on AMD for the whole thing (and it's a very real possibility) it will be bulldozer-based.

DCKing - the only way I see 1000+ SPUs happening is with a late 2013 or early 2014 release, of which 2014 is too late.

Sounds OK. I would maybe go with highend 4 module buldozer and 3gb of ddr5.

3GB of DDR5 would create one of the afformentioned chips-on-motherboard problem, at least if the design stage is now.

Yea I doubt anyone is gonna touch Bulldozer.

It would be a customized version of bulldozer. One that doesn't eat 135w.

No it isn't. Whether it's an APU or a CPU+GPU if Sony decides on AMD for the whole thing (and it's a very real possibility) it will be bulldozer-based.

DCKing - the only way I see 1000+ SPUs happening is with a late 2013 or early 2014 release, of which 2014 is too late.

3GB of DDR5 would create one of the afformentioned chips-on-motherboard problem, at least if the design stage is now.

It would be a customized version of bulldozer. One that doesn't eat 135w.

They there is absolutely no reason for them to go full AMD, and plenty of reasons not to. I could see GPU-wise, but I'm almost positive that IBM are getting the CPUs.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I just can't imagine Sony not offering backwards compatibility with PS3. Starting a software line-up from scratch again would be madness given the sheer cost of development.

I can't imagine CELL's peculiar architecture being easy to emulate, so the way I see it they'll be sticking with some deriviation of it for the forseeable future.

If we take a few things into account:

- sony's overall financial situation
- focus back on TV market, which is not doing that great
- focus on Vita, which is barely launching
- PS3's lifecycle, prob started making money recently
- learned from high price of PS3 (hopefully)
- prob will launch within 6months of xbox 3, will not let xbox 3 have huge start
- PS4 will have similar size and power budget as PS3 when it launched
- current global economy situation

Then we can surmise that ps4 at BEST, will be around power of xbox 3. Focus is not on power guys, it won't be anymore... it'll be on exclusive content and services much like this gen but even more so. There is no reason for PS4 to be anything more than $400, there won't be anything expensive like BR was for PS3.

I think we need to check our expectations power wise when it comes to next-gen. The big 2 will be plenty powerful but not uber like some are expecting. There's no reason they need to be. People in this day and age can't afford another gen of high h/w prices.

Yeah but if we're comparing the next-box to the PS4 then we should take into consideration what MS is doing and their future strategy too. And in the past 2 or 3 years they've begun a huge shift into the casual market, because that's where they think the money is. So you could easily speculate that the next-box will see a minimum power increase (similar to the gamecube > wii jump) so that they can offer it much cheaper then Sony does the PS4, say $249 vs $399.

duk

Banned
Yeah but if we're comparing the next-box to the PS4 then we should take into consideration what MS is doing and their future strategy too. And in the past 2 or 3 years they've begun a huge shift into the casual market, because that's where they think the money is. So you could easily speculate that the next-box will see a minimum power increase (similar to the gamecube > wii jump) so that they can offer it much cheaper then Sony does the PS4, say $249 vs $399.

well of course, if that's case then we won't see uber ps4 either.

i dont think that will be the case however of 720/ps4 being only marginally more powerful than their predecessors. they'll see a sig bump but not that sig.

rpmurphy

Well, I hope that Sony doesn't forget why they bombed with the PS3 start -- cost and lack of novel games. That's the basic minimum they can do for the PS4. Everything else needs some genius.

DCKing

I heard bulldozer sucks balls though...anyone else wanna chime in?
Bulldozer sucks balls when compared to a Core i7. When compared to previous x86 architectures or most PowerPC architectures IBM has it's much more powerful. It also doesn't help that Bulldozer's weird architecture isn't helping them win benchmarks much, but a peculiar architecture isn't as much of a problem when used in a console.
Looking at the AMD's Tahiti chip (HD7970) it has 2048 SPUs resulting in a 378mm^2 chip. If they go for half the SPU count and cut the the bus size to 128 bit, they could probably get a chip less than 200mm^2, which is a decent chunk less than RSX was. So I do think it's possible for them to go for 1024 SPUs, even if they were launching this year.

Some info on the devkit in the Wii U speculation thread seems to indicate an SPU count of at least (the equivalent of) 512 on the Wii U GPU. So if there's going to be a significant difference between the consoles, I'd say that Sony needs to look at 1024 SPUs or higher.

Slappers Only

Well, seeing as how being "more powerful" this gen has worked out so well for them, I could see that being the case again.

Nobody is going to care either way.

Either Sony or MS are toying with the notion of full-out AMD. That is not speculation.

LOL and where is your proof of this?
Dcking said:
Bulldozer sucks balls when compared to a Core i7. When compared to previous x86 architectures or most PowerPC architectures IBM has it's much more powerful. It also doesn't help that Bulldozer's weird architecture isn't helping them win benchmarks much, but a peculiar architecture isn't as much of a problem when used in a console.

You know whats funny? On B3d there was a vid from the Ghostbusters guys where the 6 year old cell smoked the i7 at physics. I still say cell or at least the SPE's will find their way into the PS4. Maybe in the manner that Gofreak preposed.

Strike

The rumors and Hirai's assurance that PS4 won't be at E3 are pointing to a late 2013 release. At the earliest.

Good. The HD twins are still selling at price points above $200. Third parties are still releasing big games like Assassin's Creed III, Halo 4, Call of Duty 9, and GTA V over the next 12 months. They could both wait another year if they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom