• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Content 01/17/07

Zeke

Of all the places to start off in Turok they put you in a cave. I really wanted to get into this game but I just couldn't. The game just seems too rough still. The weapon selection was ok at best. I just ran around with the knife my second time thro. It worked a lot better then using the guns. Bow and arrow is pretty fun I really like that once you pull back you can always let off and if you hold it too long your arm gets shaky and he fires. Character models look a bit rough as well. The control scheme could use some tweaking. I really want another dino shooter type game. Dino Crisis (first one on ps1) did it the best imo.

so.... the game is Turok...

BUT IT DOESNT HAVE TUROK STYLE CONTROLS?!?

will Turok be the next game to not have Turok/1.2/Solitaire/Southpaw controls, even though the first Turok invented the control style, or is it just that the demo doesn't have a full config?

Blablurn

played turok for about 3 minutes. after that i deleted the demo. it was nothing special to me which is not quite motivating in times of so many available shooters. even the dinos can't help it:/

fifa street 3 was average though. nothing special as well =(

Rolf NB

ThirstyFly said:
I liked what I played of Turok. Sure, it's not the greatest FPS ever, but it's fun enough. I liked it waaaay more than TimeShift and Blacksite, which is just horrible in every way. The dinos really make Turok stand out and the animation is fantastic. And the knife kills? Funtown USA.

What I didn't like was the long load after you die. I didn't even finish the demo because of the loading. Is that what Orange Box is like on PS3? No thanks :(
20~30 secondish, depending on the level yadda yadda. If you've never played Half-Life 2, I'd still say it's worth going through the pains.

Slavik81

Y2Kev said:
6. I was unhappy with the "legs in the air" animation when you get hit by a dino.
It just feels kind of missing something... like there should be more happening when that happens or some other gameplay element attached to it. Not just a 1-second delay-of-game.

Dante

I sooooo wanted to like Turok :( PArt of me just think it wasn't the best level choice for a demo as the outside was way more exciting then the cave portion.

DrXym

I didn't like the Turok demo at all. The cave was dark, bland and confusing, and the controls were too twitchy. I found it almost impossible to shoot the dinos. The animations for the dinos seemed choppy since they appeared to change direction almost instantly rather than pivoting and turning in a natural manner as you might expect.

Slavik81

DrXym said:
I didn't like the Turok demo at all. The cave was dark, bland and confusing, and the controls were too twitchy. I found it almost impossible to shoot the dinos. The animations for the dinos seemed choppy since they appeared to change direction almost instantly rather than pivoting and turning in a natural manner as you might expect.
The cave was a terrible choice of a level to use for a demo... If they cut it out entirely and started the demo once you get outside, I think a lot more people would have had more positive impressions. Maybe not Earth-shatteringly different, but better.

Shoho

Banned
I dont have an PS3... But I was wondering.

How much free content is there on PSN now?

when I got a 360 one of the things I liked was that there was alot of demoes and free stuff to get.

is there alot free content and stuff to DL?

Tieno

Shoho said:
I dont have an PS3... But I was wondering.

How much free content is there on PSN now?

when I got a 360 one of the things I liked was that there was alot of demoes and free stuff to get.

is there alot free content and stuff to DL?
You mean demos? Marketplace has more multiplatform demos. But it has a lot of nice exlusive demos (Resistance, Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, R&C, Uncharted, GT5, Folklore if you're into that kind of stuff)
Shame that they haven't set a standard for a demo with every PSN game release, they're the exception.
Decent amount of trailers, themes are free.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
This Turok demo is buuuuuuggy, I've had Dinos run past me like 10 metres, then it snap to my face being gnawed off. Just a minute ago my teammate said "shoot the bastards" 5 times without stopping.

Also, what is the point of guns? The dinosaurs don't have ranged attacks so just run in and one hit kill them all; if you get injured, that will go down in the little animation where you are invincible.

Probably going to skip this game..

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
McBacon said:
This Turok demo is buuuuuuggy, I've had Dinos run past me like 10 metres, then it snap to my face being gnawed off. Just a minute ago my teammate said "shoot the bastards" 5 times without stopping.

Also, what is the point of guns? The dinosaurs don't have ranged attacks so just run in and one hit kill them all; if you get injured, that will go down in the little animation where you are invincible.

Probably going to skip this game..
The guns are more for dealing with humans and distant enemies, I assume.

The Turok demo was just awful. The only good part was that gentle-looking dinosaur with the crest was walking and then I shot it in the head with an arrow.

sk3tch

Meh, Turok wasn't that bad. It just wasn't that great, either. There's so much that you want to like - but it is just so...average. I was amazed at how repetitive the dino combat became. It seems like there are like 2 animation sequences for each dinosaur type...running back and forth and lunging at your screen with its mouth wide open (once this animation begins, you can't stop it, either...annoying).

I'll definitely give it another shot once it drops on the U.S. 360 marketplace. Like others have mentioned on GAF - the triggers feel weird on the sixaxis for Turok. I think the 360 pad would be a little bit better. Although I doubt it will suddenly turn average into good or great.

GrayFoxPL

Played bit of Turok demo and I don't understand the hate really. Controls are great. Good gfx, and I thought the cave looked better then outdoors, lol.

Powerfull weapons. Gore! Damn, the game is reallly sadistic, the way bloody raptor tried to stand on his "wobbly" legs after being massacred by me was amazing.

Mad kudos on the dino ragdolls - they have a "weight" to them and animate incredibly.

Only the color palete and outdoor foliage seemed poor.

Just about the only good thing about Fifa Street's graphics is that it runs in full 1080p. So sharp, so low poly... with framerate hiccups.

joesmokey

This isn't exactly related to this week's PSN content, but when did Sony update the PS3 to allow movies played from a hard drive source output in 5.1 sound?

Previously with optical out it always was stereo only, though proper sources will now actually output in Dolby Digital, etc. Was this included in the divx update? This was always one of my biggest complaints about watching movies through the PS3, but it looks like it's finally been fixed.

Speevy

Banned
I just recently bought PAIN, and wow, this has to be my favorite PSN game yet. I don't know why I avoided it for so long.

I guess I expected something like Burnout's crash mode, which isn't what I call "gameplay", but this is incredibly entertaining.

Also, Almyn told me that Pixeljunk Monsters is a riot, so I can't wait to download that on Thursday.

kuYuri

I liked the Turok demo. At best, it might become the Tom Braider: Legend of the Turok series.

What I don't get is why there's absolutely no blood for human enemies and only dinos.

HiVision

joesmokey said:
This isn't exactly related to this week's PSN content, but when did Sony update the PS3 to allow movies played from a hard drive source output in 5.1 sound?

Previously with optical out it always was stereo only, though proper sources will now actually output in Dolby Digital, etc. Was this included in the divx update? This was always one of my biggest complaints about watching movies through the PS3, but it looks like it's finally been fixed.

There are lots of stealth updates like that, it's pretty cool. I'm just waiting for divx sub-title support now.

Speevy

Banned
I want to be able to

1) Edit file names of external storage device files
2) Show video icons for external storage device files

dallow_bg

nods at old men
PixelJunk Monsters demo is now up in the JPN store. 60MB
100% English.

Holy crap it's way more fun than I thought! Nice take on the 'tower' style gameplay! I want more!

ram

thanx man :)

EDIT:

btw. i downloaded the demo, installed on my german account, startet it, clicked on the link: unlock full game, connected and the game told me, that i already purchased the game (without any cost). i played only the tutorial level so far - maybe its the full game now???

Zoe

ram said:
btw. i downloaded the demo, installed on my german account, startet it, clicked on the link: unlock full game, connected and the game told me, that i already purchased the game (without any cost). i played only the tutorial level so far - maybe its the full game now???

Probably a database error due to the different stores. Try that again with your Japanese account.

Dante

dallow_bg said:
PixelJunk Monsters demo is now up in the JPN store. 60MB
100% English.

Holy crap it's way more fun than I thought! Nice take on the 'tower' style gameplay! I want more!

Cool!. Thanks for the heads up

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Same here, on the US account, it tells me I already have the full game, I think that's the default message when it doesn't find it in the store.

Looks like Japan gets a 2 for 1 one on the PJ games. Both for 500 yen.

They also got Sega Rally Evo demo. Don't know if it's different.

PJ Monsters looks a winner, I will definitely be downloading this one come Thursday.

Apparently the Japanese version of the DMC4 demo is confirmed to be released on the Japanese PSN store this Thursday. The actual game will launch next Thursday in Japan, along with the release of the English version of the demo on the NA & EU PSN stores. The game launches next Friday in NA, and next Monday in EU.

dfyb

Banned
ram said:
thanx man :)

EDIT:

did the same thing for me (on US account), but it's still just the demo.

Zoc

Downloaded the PJM demo and bought the game 20 minutes later. Same thing happened with Super Stardust. Only two games I own. Notice a trend Sony?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
PixelJunk Monsters is terrific stuff. And it supports rumble two, btw. Awesome, awesome game.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Turok definitely wasn't a lot of fun in the caves. I figured they put you there to run you through a controls tutorial, but then they barely introduced any of the controls...in any case, once you got outside, and they started emphasizing stealth and melee attacks, it became more interesting. Or just letting a pack of raptors take first blood from a group of soldiers. I was digging it until I hit a particularly checkpoint that kept sending me further back in a fight than seemed necessary.

I also started to dig Fifa Street once I got the hang of the controls. Choice of music wasn't too bad either. I like the visual style, it works given the scale of models on screen most of the time. I can't see myself spending full retail on this though, but I'd definitely consider buying it if sold for $40 or less as a PSN downloadable title.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
DantesWrath said:
Apparently the Japanese version of the DMC4 demo is confirmed to be released on the Japanese PSN store this Thursday. The actual game will launch next Thursday in Japan, along with the release of the English version of the demo on the NA & EU PSN stores. The game launches next Friday in NA, and next Monday in EU.

WHATDOG.gif

EU Release date is 8th of feb right? Thats on a friday, or is it delayed? :(
Awesome news about the demo:D

Pixel Junk Monsters on mah PSP!!

5k3kg2.jpg

I'm playing this over internet WAN not local network. Graphically it's good enough to play the game. There is some input lag that is annoying. For this kind of game it is totally still reasonable to play under these conditions.

Pimpwerx

Speevy said:
I just recently bought PAIN, and wow, this has to be my favorite PSN game yet. I don't know why I avoided it for so long.

I guess I expected something like Burnout's crash mode, which isn't what I call "gameplay", but this is incredibly entertaining.

Also, Almyn told me that Pixeljunk Monsters is a riot, so I can't wait to download that on Thursday.
Ditto. Held off a long time. Caddock convinced me. Getting PJM this week too. PEACE.

Top Bottom