• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Content 01/17/07

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't understand the lack of motion blur. UT3 on PS3 made use of it. It seems to me that Epic needed to spend more time with these guys...

If only the PC version were releasing day and date with the other two (with the original developer behidn it). My PC would have no troubles running this at 60 fps, so this will feel like a step backwards.

Borys

Banned
dark10x said:
If only the PC version were releasing day and date with the other two (with the original developer behidn it). My PC would have no troubles running this at 60 fps, so this will feel like a step backwards.

:/

Weird situation, isn't it? It's like there is no single superior version of Turok:

1) 360 - pay for online, motion blur
2) PS3 - no motion blur but free online
3) PC - motion blur(?), free online, otherwise CRAP and half-year later

BTW here are rumoured Assassin's Creed PC requirements:

http://exophase.com/pc/rumor-assassins-creed-pc-system-requirements-3054.htm

Whoa.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Borys said:
:/

Weird situation, isn't it? It's like there is no single superior version of Turok:

1) 360 - pay for online, motion blur
2) PS3 - no motion blur but free online
3) PC - motion blur(?), free online, otherwise CRAP and half-year later

BTW here are rumoured Assassin's Creed PC requirements:

http://exophase.com/pc/rumor-assassins-creed-pc-system-requirements-3054.htm

Whoa.
We'll see about that. I'm looking forward to trying AC on the PC now.

Games like Jericho and Stranglehold also had insane requirements on the PC, but both of them run at a rock solid 60 fps on my machine with everything cranked up.

mauaus

Just played turok!
OMG thats a mediocre game in all aspects... tried it deleted it back to COD4, maybe we are spoiled by games like COD4

Oneself

I just played through the Turok demo. It's already deleted. What an awful game. It looks just like every freaking UE games out there.. it looks like a poor man's Gears of War visually, like Blacksite etc. The view is horrible, the design is unappealing and no motion blur makes it look even more shitty IMO.

In fact, the only good thing that came out of this week's update was the Fifa demo. Even though it's a cheap port (as always), it's pretty fun.

I played the Turok Demo last night.

Let's just say that I couldn't even bring myself to finish it. And that almost never happens.

I'll try again, though. It was late.

Seems like a bad level for a demo. That cave is confusing and seemingly very low poly (either by accident or design). Getting blindsided by dinos wasn't very fun. Once I was out of the cave it was better but the combat is just unsatisfying. The way the raptors attack and such just makes it seem like a spazzfest or something.

Hopefully the full game will be much improved.

Dante

My cut and paste Tori Emaki Impressions:

The only game I bought so far was Tori Amaki. It's not really a game, but an interactive painting in which you use the hand motions to guide birds around a painting trying to find 5 elements. The cool thing is it tracks depth, so you can move your hands forward and back to guide the birds into and out of the painting. Definetly worth the $1.99 I spent on it and I will be geting the other PSEye games based offof that purchase.

Kyoufu

Stuff missing from the OP:

Japan PSN:

Coded Soul 6 minute PV
Valkyrie of the Battlefield January trailer
Saru Get You - The Record of Piposaru War PV
Mainichi Isshou January update

Tried the Turok demo for a bit and there's definitely motion blur on the PS3 version. It's not as excessive as the Xbox360 version though, which is a good thing. Haven't had a chance to venture out of the cave, but so far the PS3 version seems to have more "pop" - brighter and clearer. Might be jaggier, but already deleted my 360 version so can't be 100% sure.

dralla

Tori Emaki theme has great icons. my new theme

j9wo5z.jpg

Oneself

memecomplex said:
Tried the Turok demo for a bit and there's definitely motion blur on the PS3 version. It's not as excessive as the Xbox360 version though, which is a good thing. Haven't had a chance to venture out of the cave, but so far the PS3 version seems to have more "pop" - brighter and clearer. Might be jaggier, but already deleted my 360 version so can't be 100% sure.

Are you sure it's not just your TV's refresh rate? ;P

LaneDS

Am I retarded or is there no flashlight in this Turok demo? I could barely see anything the first time, and the second time (after I died) I somehow had even less light. Not sure if it was a bug or what, but I literally could not navigate.

The game might be alright but that is easily the most terrible choice of area for a demo ever, so I'll never really know.

BeeDog

Metalmurphy said:
Is the Turok demo not supposed to end?

I got to the part where your Objective is to clear the area, great... I did, now what?

There are some brown branches on the other side of the small raised section that you can climb on with Circle (similar to the one in the cave), they are pretty hard to see. Took me a little while to figure this out.

NeonBlade

Banned
All they needed to do was bring back the dark, violent, frightening edgy feel of Turok 2. I mean Lair of the Blind Ones, hive of the mantids, the dead. Turok 2 was a classic FPS with amazing atmosphere and massive levels. I'm afraid it will never be replicated.

BeeDog said:
There are some brown branches on the other side of the small raised section that you can climb on with Circle (similar to the one in the cave), they are pretty hard to see. Took me a little while to figure this out.
funny-cat-wearing-goggles.jpg

Thanks. I'll have to reply the boring parts (all of it) again to get there though, dunno if I will :p

Rolf NB

The Take Out Bandit said:
fixed. :D

I'd rather see a third person action game. Part hack'n slash, and part shooting. Y'know - like the source material they threw out for this heap.
And I thought the old Turok games were first-person shooters with some platforming and puzzling thrown in. I even convinced myself of having played them! I've been living a goddamn lie!

Ceb

Hey, Super Stardust HD got like 50% more people on the leaderboards after the release of the demo. Could you upload your high scores in the demo version? If not, this is proof that Sony needs to revamp the PS Store to give the games better exposition.

Pimpwerx

I haven't grabbed a demo since Paradise. I don't know if I'll worry with Turok. I hated every game in the series except Rage Wars, and that's b/c it was mostly multiplayer. Can't get enough cerebral bore. :D

I can't believe Sony is having the success in EU they have given their continued disrespect of that userbase. The price-jacking I can understand, but not these idiotic localization problems. There shouldn't be more than a week's delay between all three regions. SCEE is really dropping the ball bad here. It's bad enough PSN gets things after XBL. PEACE.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wow, Turok is pretty bad.

You really can't release a run of the mill uninspired generic FPS with such middle of the road to below average graphics in the current console FPS climate. I got halfway through the jungle and just couldn't continue.

It's basically Area 51 all over again.

How disappointing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
LaneDS said:
Am I retarded or is there no flashlight in this Turok demo? I could barely see anything the first time, and the second time (after I died) I somehow had even less light. Not sure if it was a bug or what, but I literally could not navigate.

The game might be alright but that is easily the most terrible choice of area for a demo ever, so I'll never really know.

I said the same thing in the Turok thread. Bad area to begin a demo in and was quite dark. Lack of flashlight (aren't these guys like, professionals or something? Where the fuck is a flashlight?) was just odd.

I played it once when I woke up and I figured I didn't give it a fair shake since the cave annoyed me and I was in a pissy mood. I went back to it later today, got farther along but just did not have any fun.

Aiming is very...weird. It wasn't smooth no matter what I tried to do. I wasn't feeling the combat anyways since 1) I couldn't see shit and 2) I really hated the knock down effect you get from the dinos. I know why it's in, but it's just disorienting to me. That, on top of odd aiming, that STUPID red screen effect, and being Ray Charles'd was just not any fun. No, I didn't make it out of the cave and I didn't care to at that point.

Deleted the demo. Game is a rental on a slow weekend unless impressions and reviews are really, really positive.

Ceb said:
Hey, Super Stardust HD got like 50% more people on the leaderboards after the release of the demo. Could you upload your high scores in the demo version? If not, this is proof that Sony needs to revamp the PS Store to give the games better exposition.

Or it's proof that Sony needs to make demos a mandated requirement for all DL games from now on.

If the demo version allows you to upload scores, that seems like a mistake. It's usually one of the first things they disable in demo versions.

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Or it's proof that Sony needs to make demos a mandated requirement for all DL games from now on.

If the demo version allows you to upload scores, that seems like a mistake. It's usually one of the first things they disable in demo versions.
yes you can put your score up, but you only play for 4 minutes so you can't get a decent score.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My thoughts on Turok:

1. The caves aren't dark on my TV. I dunno. They're not bright, but they aren't dark. But they aren't visually impressive, either. I'd go so far as to say they are unimpressive. Lots of the samey looking rock. I got lost in the caves more than once. It all looks the same.

2. Standing over a weapon doesn't indicate what weapon it is, so I have no idea if I want it or not. The image of the weapon isn't enough for me, and this especially should be clear in just a short demo. At least I think this is the case.

3. I really think Slade (Slade or Slate, I can't remember) has a really poor character model. I frequently lost him in the background in the caves and in the forest he kind of stands out as bizarrely unlit. I don't think he's anywhere near as impressive as the Gears character models.

4. I was playing Uncharted before, and going from that jungle to this jungle is really not good. This jungle is believable, sure (though the low res leaf textures are awful), but it's just a little barren feeling. I was kind of surprised at how little foliage there is overall.

5. The framerate and tearing seemed fine to me.

6. I was unhappy with the "legs in the air" animation when you get hit by a dino. It's disorienting and unnecessary when you add in the blur/grain after being hit. Plus, it happens a lot.

7. I enjoyed the knife kills, but you have to do them quite a bit.

8. The shotgun and SMG just felt really weak, but I definitely enjoyed the bow.

9. I was most shocked when you finally see Turok's model in third person. He really does look Marineish. I'm curious to see how his heritage is explored, because, uh...lol.

10. I like the stuff they are doing with third person animation in the first person...stuff like dodges and climbing ladders (either when it shifts to third person or not) make the game feel really fluid.

11. The grenades feel really light and weak.

12. I loved the dino animation.

Renting.

bcn-ron said:
They were third-person action games, those comics? Wow!
well if you had an ounce of reading comprehension you'd see the same thing I did: he was talking about what he would like - a 3rd person action game based on the comics.

Oneself said:
Are you sure it's not just your TV's refresh rate? ;P

I'm using a plasma tv, so yes I'm sure. There's motion blur on Turok, but not to the extent of the Xbox 360 version; which looks like vaseline smeared all over the image everytime you move the camera. It fucks up my eyes trying to focus.

TheDuce22

Banned
Just tried out Turok. The graphics are really impressive but the feel of the weapons and gunplay is off. Also it needs some kind of waypoint system, I spent half the time trying to figure out where the hell to go.

Speevy

Banned
amrod said:
Can I use my playstation 2 eyetoy with Tori Emaki or do I need to buy the ps3 one?

You need the Playstation Eye for all Playstation Eye software. I don't think anyone has ever confirmed one way or another whether the PS Eye is backward compatible though, but that's another thread.

tanod

when is my burrito
bishoptl said:
Nah, not really. I love me some NeoGAF, but this place ain't gospel.

To be honest, I haven't tried it yet, but I liked what the game play looked like in trailers.

I liked what I played of Turok. Sure, it's not the greatest FPS ever, but it's fun enough. I liked it waaaay more than TimeShift and Blacksite, which is just horrible in every way. The dinos really make Turok stand out and the animation is fantastic. And the knife kills? Funtown USA.

What I didn't like was the long load after you die. I didn't even finish the demo because of the loading. Is that what Orange Box is like on PS3? No thanks :(

Nizz

So I finally tried the Turok demo. Thoughts...

The graphics aren't bad. Maybe it's the setting, I don't play many fps' set in jungles. Not since Far Cry: Instincts on X-box. But I found the graphics do their job. I especially liked when I first came out of the cave and looked up through the trees. The control scheme though I'm not a fan of. :( I really hope there's an option to remap the controls to your liking. So far all the shooters I own, Resistance, COD4, UT3, Rainbow Six:Vegas all have one thing in common...the shooting is mapped to R1/L1. This scheme I feel is the best way to play fps' on PS3. For fps, I really hate when the shooting is mapped to R2/L2. The Sixaxis triggers really aren't ideal for shooting. They just feel too mushy. Crouch is also mapped to a weird button, triangle? If all these controls can be remapped, then this complaint is null and void. But I'm worried that this is the final control scheme, which for shooting works fine on the 360 pad. But on Sixaxis? :( Framerate I thought was cool, though I didn't see motion blur. Will give the demo another shot but unfortunately, controls for me can be a big issue and the current setup it offers is kinda weak for me. Bummer man...

Top Bottom