• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Content 11/29/07: Collector's Edition

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
BobJustBob said:
That's a good price.

It would be, I guess, if it included both. But they're holiday characters, so they should be free.

Gah.

Ah well, it *does* sound like they want to add new game modes and such for free (given the community input they want) so if that's the case, I'd be willing to shell out some bucks for DLC. But not for characters.

Slaylock

Here's some more info from the PAIN website

ONLINE PLAY

When I said if you make enough noise we have to listen, I mean it. If online multiplayer is very important for you guys then I will have to take it to the development team and figure out what we can do. I would personally like this feature too. It would allow me to "represent" on some of you personally.

PLAYSTATION3 THEMES

We have some pretty cool PAIN PLAYSTATION3 Themes that we are almost done with. Look for them VERY soon. We have a theme for EVERY character in PAIN complete with sounds, icons and those backgrounds that you see on the PLAYSTATION©Store right now. We are getting into the swing of making these now so look for a new PLAYSTATION3 Theme every time we release a launchable PAIN Character.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Slaylock said:
Pay for the PAIN

Travis Williams, a senior producer with Sony Computer Entertainment America, has posted an entry on the game's official website stating that the problem stems from Santa and Cookie being "purchasable characters."

Here comes the hole."When we posted Pain, Santa and Cookie were not uploaded to the PlayStation Store," Williams wrote. "Once the store has Cookie and Santa, they will appear as purchasable characters. Sorry about this confusion everyone."

Pain's latest characters will be available sometime today for 99 cents each.
I understand Pain's profit model, and I don't mind it. I think the initial games costs about $3.00 too much though. If I have to pay for online I'm going to be pretty angry, because that should've came with it already for this price.

HORSE is awesome as shit btw. Everyone, find the person closest in your proximity and force them to play it with you. Seriously, its a blast.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Slaylock said:
Pay for the PAIN

Travis Williams, a senior producer with Sony Computer Entertainment America, has posted an entry on the game's official website stating that the problem stems from Santa and Cookie being "purchasable characters."

Here comes the hole."When we posted Pain, Santa and Cookie were not uploaded to the PlayStation Store," Williams wrote. "Once the store has Cookie and Santa, they will appear as purchasable characters. Sorry about this confusion everyone."

Should be free IMO. I'll pay $1.99 for new areas cos the game is fun. No more though. It's definately worth 10 bucks. I've played for a couple of hours and I've enjoyed it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The Jer said:
$10 + money for DLC

They've certainly made my decision really easy. I will NOT be getting this game.

Even if there were no DLC in sight, I'd be happy with my purchase. Ah well, I can understand your situation.

The Jer said:
$10 + money for DLC

They've certainly made my decision really easy. I will NOT be getting this game.
you don't HAVE to donwload character skins to play the game you know. Just get the regular game, its actually worth 10 bucks.

careksims

The Jer said:
$10 + money for DLC

I totally agree. That sort of DLC should just be free! It's already $10 too much!

tanod

when is my burrito
Slaylock said:
Pay for the PAIN

They should have been in the god damn game SONY!!!!!!!!! :mad:

womfalcs3

Banned
A dollar (10% of game's cost) for a character is really too much. They're going to have more too. There was a poll on the SCEA blog about future characters being celebrities or sports personalities, etc.

CoG

Liking Pain a lot. It's a real time sink. Just wish there was online multiplayer and more levels from the get-go.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
womfalcs3 said:
A dollar (10% of game's cost) for a character is really too much. They're going to have more too. There was a poll on the SCEA blog about future characters being celebrities or sports personalities, etc.

It was slightly more than a skin though...they have four unique "pose" moves and their own array of catchphrases and screaming.

After an hour with both characters, I went back to the main one. So far he's the best.

Wollan

A mistake has been made this week at SCEE.

Norwegian PS Store has yet to update (usually identical content to UK).

This game would have been cool if they were to dubb Mr. T aka Clubber Lang voice, the part when the reporter ask him " whats your prediction of the fight" Clubber Lang " PAIN" with that grimace on his face.

cool game, my son and I are loving it, Human Bowling and HORSE are great time passers.

icechai

Pain was soooo worth it. If only for the fact that my gf put in more time on it than any other PSN game so far :p Cookie is hilarious as a character, and the main game has 2 levels since Aftermath is significantly different from the starting level. Although it is kind of silly they didn't think to include online multiplayer in the first place.

Afrikan

I'm still lol at the first character....... I didn't think it was going to be a big deal unlocking his hip hop outfit.........but damn.....

you see its not just the baggy jeans...oh no....and its not the huge gold chain......or even the side ways cap...... I also love the phrases...I can't get enough of "Hollaaaaaaaa" or "yeeaaaaa booooyyy".....no, all of these things don't get me :lol like this character's Hair cut....lmao......omg u have to zoom in...... I'm loving it.....

Love this game by the way....its so easy to get sucked in for a couple of hours and not realizing it.......

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Haha, I love that hip hop guy. Hearing him say "THIS...IS...DA...REEEEEMMMMMMIIIIXXX!" and smashing his face on a metal pole is immensely satisfying. :lol

kbear

I like the game a lot. It's really addicting and fun with people over but it's seriously lacking content. I was stunned about no online multi-player. So many lesser budget games have online MP. How could PAIN not have it? It just doesn't make any sense. That and the fact that there's only one 'sandbox' is just unacceptable. Does anyone else think they were rushed to get this game out in time for the holidays? I thought it was going to be a Q1 2008 game so it was a surprise seeing it release last week. A few more months of dev time would've been perfect. Either that or make the price five bucks because the content given is not worth ten.

CoG

This one was pretty obvious.

6y3aeep.jpg

Jim

After all that complaining about cutting stuff out, I still put more time into PAIN the past few days than most other recent XBLA/PSN titles (excluding maybe Pac-man CE).

How the hell are people getting 29 million+ in Aftermath.. WTF! I'd love to see a video/replay of those.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I sank a few hours into PAIN over the weekend, having sat down only with the intention of playing a 15-20 minutes, so I think I've got my money's worth out of it. Paindemonium + replay camera is just simple, immature fun. The microtransaction setup for this game is obnoxious though, and I don't know if I really get the scoring system yet for paindemonium/aftermath. I make an effort to combo into different exploding crates and that nets me far less points than getting ping-ponged between cars.

kbear

Jim said:
After all that complaining about cutting stuff out, I still put more time into PAIN the past few days than most other recent XBLA/PSN titles (excluding maybe Pac-man CE).

How the hell are people getting 29 million+ in Aftermath.. WTF! I'd love to see a video/replay of those.
I'm pretty sure they just keep getting run over by cars back and forth, because there's no way to get that high of a score bouncing around the city. This is basically an exploit in the scoring system. It should be patched... you can just keep getting run over again and again without a hitch while changing lanes and get massive points.

kbear said:
I'm pretty sure they just keep getting run over by cars back and forth, because there's no way to get that high of a score bouncing around the city. This is basically an exploit in the scoring system. It should be patched... you can just keep getting run over again and again without a hitch while changing lanes and get massive points.

No you can't. In Aftermath the cars stop as soon as they hit something.

kbear

BobJustBob said:
Oh ok.. I haven't unlocked it yet but was assuming this was how as the only times I got 1 mil + was with getting run over a few times. How do they do it then?

Baker

Banned
BobJustBob said:

Yeah. That's the only way I've figured out how to play.

I run into scaffolding or something else big enough to block a street. I then just lamely bounce back and forth to whatever lane has an incoming car. I haven't broke 2.5 mil with this strategy.

There are only six cars total.

Pimpwerx

So...a few days later and my new TabletPC should be in today. It'll keep me off PSN for a few more days still, so maybe I can find out now if anyone's enjoyment of the game has ended. I'll pay the $10 if I know I can get more than a week's worth of fun out of this title. PEACE.

I think Pain is okay so far. I don't regret buying it and I think it'll make a fantastic party/group gatherings game.

Go! Sports Ski™ however...

GeoramA said:
Got over 3.5 mil on PAINdamonium, but can't even get a million on Aftermath. I've been trying for hours now.

My high on PAINdemonium is 5 million and I've managed only 1.2 on Aftermath. I did it by immediately launching into the Man Hole sign, onto the exploding tank on the back of the flatbed truck, and using that explosion to launch me onto the other street for some more damage. Took many tries to get that score but it was fun the whole time.

Anyone play that Operation Creature Feature game with the eyetoy?
My wife loved lemmings and I just want to know if she would be into this.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Baker said:
Will you get ten dollars worth of gaming out of it? Yes.

Is it worth ten dollars? No.
It sounds absurd, but that's how I feel about it as well. Can't say I really like the game, to be honest.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I got 5mil on Aftermath by grabbing onto the explosive on the scaffolding to the left. Then the cop hit the doughnut, which gave a nice special multiplier. Then all the cars crashed into each other with my dude being personally involved in that carnage, some hitchhiking took place. Then after that started to come to a close I ooched myself into the sewer for my final multiplier.

Be Cookie, she can get multipliers by just you mashing on the grab buttons while she is on the ground. I think its an exploit or something. I'm ranked around 35 now btw.

Jim

BobJustBob said:
My high on PAINdemonium is 5 million and I've managed only 1.2 on Aftermath. I did it by immediately launching into the Man Hole sign, onto the exploding tank on the back of the flatbed truck, and using that explosion to launch me onto the other street for some more damage. Took many tries to get that score but it was fun the whole time.

I have the best luck on closer street... and the key is to just push the multiplier up real quickly and THEN inflict a lot of pain.

I start by hitting the construction guy + crates up near the train tracks on the right and stay on the platform (x7 - 9 in one shot), then the train hits you and I veer off into the road and ooch into the explosive crate, then the exploding sewer cover (x15 by then sometimes) and THEN position myself for each car (and the biker) that comes by. As a grand finale, if you can work you way onto the other street and into the subway. And the rest is luck :)

I see there's a pretty good amount of vids on youtube already: http://youtube.com/results?search_t...uery=pain ps3&search_sort=video_date_uploaded One showing off the "train" start I've been using.

The game was pretty much made for YT. Can't BELIEVE they didn't release it with the replay d/l feature.

I enjoy Pain. It's a cool game and the destruction you get to lay on Jarvis is fun and enjoyable. There's no denying that.

I'm pissed at their DLC idea though. One area + 2/3 characters doesn't justify $10 imho. If there were just ONE more area to play in other than downtown, I'd be much, much happier.

And on top of that, I can't get any higher than 1.2 million on any launch. I don't get how you guys get the ridiculous numbers, lol.

Jim said:
I start by hitting the construction guy + crates up near the train tracks on the right and stay on the platform (x7 - 9 in one shot), then the train hits you and I veer off into the road and ooch into the explosive crate

I was doing exactly this the other day. Never had too much luck with it though; I couldn't really control where the train threw me.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You guys uncover the secret stuff in PAIN yet? Spoiler'd:

-Fire yourself into the smoke stack of the factory...depending on which one you get in, you'll fire upwards incredibly fast and earn two badges to boot!
-Fire into the hanging rail and hold onto it as it latches off the crane
-the TTP vid where you can go into the subway and take the air vent up
-Fire into the chinese massage parlor, go out the back entrance

That's all I got for now, surely there's more...

YYZ

What's the diff between pandemonium and aftermath? How does the combo system really work?

macewank

BruceLeeRoy said:
Anyone play that Operation Creature Feature game with the eyetoy?
My wife loved lemmings and I just want to know if she would be into this.

eh.. probably not.. it's kinda lame really.. then again, it's cheap so who knows. the premise is similar, except the movement tracking on the camera picks up your entire body and its damn near impossible to compensate for that when you move your arms

Kittonwy

Banned
Jim said:
I have the best luck on closer street... and the key is to just push the multiplier up real quickly and THEN inflict a lot of pain.

I start by hitting the construction guy + crates up near the train tracks on the right and stay on the platform (x7 - 9 in one shot), then the train hits you and I veer off into the road and ooch into the explosive crate, then the exploding sewer cover (x15 by then sometimes) and THEN position myself for each car (and the biker) that comes by. As a grand finale, if you can work you way onto the other street and into the subway. And the rest is luck :)

I see there's a pretty good amount of vids on youtube already: http://youtube.com/results?search_t...uery=pain ps3&search_sort=video_date_uploaded One showing off the "train" start I've been using.

The game was pretty much made for YT. Can't BELIEVE they didn't release it with the replay d/l feature.

Looking at this game, it makes me wonder why they don't try to use the tech and the assets to make a sandbox game, the city is pretty big, all the tech features are there, the game looks GOOD.

Top Bottom