• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Content 11/29/07: Collector's Edition

Erebus

I tried selecting Santa as a character in PAIN but an error showed up telling me to re-download the game.

Did anyone else get this message too?

Con

Banned
tanod said:
Two questions on PAIN:

Is there any skill (depth) to it and does the online MP have voice chat?

There's no online MP, only offline.

The game is deeper than I thought. You can do alot of things in the air to change the outcome.

DarkUSS said:
I tried selecting Santa as a character in PAIN but an error showed up telling me to re-download the game.

Did anyone else get this message too?

Yep.

The Jer

Agent X said:
Yeah, I feel the same way.

I love MotorStorm, and had considered getting the first download pack when it came out (though I never actually got around to it). Then they came out with a second one a few weeks ago. Now they have a third one, and the naming convention kind of implies there are still more to come. What gives?

If you view the time attack tracks, you will see there are four more tracks listed beyond those that came with the game. So, it seemed pretty obvious after the first two packs, that they would release each of these four tracks seperately in thier own pack.

And, ya, I'm not paying for Motorstorm content. I love the game, but the DLC needs to be a MUCH better deal if I'm going to bite. I'm paying $24 for 50% more Motorstorm. And that ain't close to worth it, considering I already bought the base game. They need to release everything, in one pack, for $10 or I will never purchase it.

Holy shit, Pain is so fun. I got a really awesome run in Paindemonium, just a hair under 5 million, and got all the score medals at once.

Only real annoyance so far is that the "playable" area of the level is pretty small and once you leave that area you get a worthless camera view. And grabbing stuff is kind of finicky, but maybe that is lessened with practice.

Maggot9

Banned
Firewire said:
I've kinda lost interest in Oblivion, its just to many hours! Then to pay $30 for an expansion I'll probably never finish, is just a waste. I was actually thinking of trading in Oblivion.

You dislike Oblivion because there's too much to do?

How large (MB) is the Expansion?

Lame, you can't play hotseat multiplayer with one controller.

Also, are the leaderboards not working for anyone else? I'm not submitting a score for Aftermath and no scores are showing up either.

M3wThr33

Banned
tanod said:
Oblivion's current price is $30 on PS3 and 360. Expansion is $30 on PS3 and 360.

GOTY edition is $60.

If you want it, $30 is what you're going to have to pay. It is rather sizeable.

Does the GOTY edition on the PS3 have the pirate thingie and horse armor? I'd like to buy one version with all the DLC.

Cruzader

Banned
guys i have a question. If someone has GT5 demo and they lend me their account, could i DL the demo from their list once the Demo is off the J-Store?

PuMa

GeoramA said:
Just finished the Pain tutorial. This game's friggin hilarious.

Ok, I'm a moron. I can't even finish the damn tutorial. For some reason, I can't get a super ooch to activate. Help!

Erebus

PuMa said:
Ok, I'm a moron. I can't even finish the damn tutorial. For some reason, I can't get a super ooch to activate. Help!

Just shake the controller as soon as you hit an object.

M3wThr33

Banned
PuMa said:
Oh trust me. I'm shaking the shit out of it. It aint working.
I noticed the Sixaxis loses a lot of analog and motion sensing if you change controller ports with the Rock Band Strat.
(I switched from Rock Band to Tony Hawk's Proving Ground and felt fucking retarded for not being able to do a revert)
Because you leave the dongle in, it's usually P1 and you have to change to it. But after you make the sixaxis P1, you have to turn it off and on again.

Erebus

Can't get the leaderboards to work in PAIN! :( They appear only on higher difficulties and I don't know how to unlock them.

kuYuri

DarkUSS said:
Can't get the leaderboards to work in PAIN! :( They appear only on higher difficulties and I don't know how to unlock them.

I've noticed that you live outside the US, according to your profile. In that case, I've got this little anecdote to tell you:

Basically, I acquired the EU Blast Factor via sharing. However, everytime I finished a game, it would always ask me to connect online to upload scores to the leaderboard, even though I was clearly online. After I bought the US Blast Factor, I never got this prompt.

There could be leaderboard issues if you bought the US version, but that might have only happened to me because I got the EU Blast Facor through sharing rather than paying. Just wanted to put that out there as a possibility.

The leaderboards aren't working for me either. As for unlocking, you need 1.5 million in regular Paindemonium to unlock Aftermath (same level, different object/NPC placement), and you need a gold medal in Mime Toss or Spank the Monkey to unlock the next difficulty.

tino

Banned
Is there more than one location for PAIN. And can I download a save for PAIN to unlock shit. I have a feeling I am not very good at this.

Erebus

Strider2K99 said:
I've noticed that you live outside the US, according to your profile. In that case, I've got this little anecdote to tell you:

Basically, I acquired the EU Blast Factor via sharing. However, everytime I finished a game, it would always ask me to connect online to upload scores to the leaderboard, even though I was clearly online. After I bought the US Blast Factor, I never got this prompt.

There could be leaderboard issues if you bought the US version, but that might have only happened to me because I got the EU Blast Facor through sharing rather than paying. Just wanted to put that out there as a possibility.

Nah, I don't think so.

Every PSN game I own, it's from the US store and they all work fine. Plus, PAIN supports global leaderboards so there won't be a problem really.

BobJustBob just confirmed that I'm not the only one.

jonabbey

PAIN is the best fast demo I've yet seen for the PS3. Humorous, fun, immediately grabs you.

Might even be the nearest thing to a 'system seller' on PSN so far, even, depending on how folks feel about Wowhawk. Definitely edges out SSHD, I think.

androvsky

I'm definitely enjoying Pain more than I thought I would, but the lack of in-game music, the grayed-out music player buttons in the audio menu, and some mumbling from the developer about custom soundtracks in a PS blog comment tends to suggest that this game might support them... and I have no idea how to get my own music to play. Am I stupid (waits for junior member jokes), or are we short a firmware update?

And they really do need to put a lock icon over characters that aren't available yet, the standard error message when you try to select one makes it seem like Pain itself is corrupted.

Core407

Banned
jonabbey said:
PAIN is the best fast demo I've yet seen for the PS3. Humorous, fun, immediately grabs you.

Might even be the nearest thing to a 'system seller' on PSN so far, even, depending on how folks feel about Wowhawk. Definitely edges out SSHD, I think.

Better than SSHD, you say? It can't be that good.

Pimpwerx

I'm pissed the price is up on Pixeljunk already. Despite the wording, deals here in the US go through the stated date. It's the 29th for 2 more hours still. That's one less sale for Pixeljunk. Really shitty job, Sony. :(

That said, keep the Pain impressions coming. I'm still undecided. PEACE.

Nightz

BobJustBob said:
The leaderboards aren't working for me either. As for unlocking, you need 1.5 million in regular Paindemonium to unlock Aftermath (same level, different object/NPC placement), and you need a gold medal in Mime Toss or Spank the Monkey to unlock the next difficulty.
How in the world do you get over a million? Seems like I can't get more than 500k. :(

celpacius

i got a question about pain before i download this..

can you walk around town with your character or are you simply stuck in that sling shot what ever waiting for be thrown into objects?

and are there like secret items to collect or "hit" while youre bring flung into the air and into buildings and such?

PuMa

M3wThr33 said:
I noticed the Sixaxis loses a lot of analog and motion sensing if you change controller ports with the Rock Band Strat.
(I switched from Rock Band to Tony Hawk's Proving Ground and felt fucking retarded for not being able to do a revert)
Because you leave the dongle in, it's usually P1 and you have to change to it. But after you make the sixaxis P1, you have to turn it off and on again.

You, sir, are a genious. Thanks man. That worked beautifully. I unplugged my Rock Band dongle, rebooted my PS3, and everything worked fine. :D

PuMa

Pimpwerx said:
I'm pissed the price is up on Pixeljunk already. Despite the wording, deals here in the US go through the stated date. It's the 29th for 2 more hours still. That's one less sale for Pixeljunk. Really shitty job, Sony. :(

That said, keep the Pain impressions coming. I'm still undecided. PEACE.

Here are my impressions so far:

Just played with a buddy of mine for about 3 hours. This game is addicting and tons of fun.

So far.

I'm not sure yet how long it will last. It seems like the game was more or less rushed to delivery missing some key features. I mean, is it really necessary to show us characters at the select screen that are locked out because we cant "purchase" or download them yet? Furthermore, it kinda sucks that there is only one area to play in. If/when they release more, they better be free.

As other people mentioned, there is also no music in-game. TTP talked about this in his impressions of the preview code he played. Same thing in the final code. Seems kind of bland to have no music while playing.

Gripes aside, the game is a lot of fun to play. If the extras that come along in the future are free, I'd say it is well worth the $10 upfront.

Baker

Banned
Yeah fuck Pain.

I just played it for three hours, so I guess I got my ten dollars worth.

One level.
No online multiplayer.
No functional leaderboards.
(Non)selectable DLC content.

Fuck you.

Core407

Banned
Baker said:
Yeah fuck Pain.

I just played it for three hours, so I guess I got my ten dollars worth.

One level.
No online multiplayer.
No functional leaderboards.
(Non)selectable DLC content.

Fuck you.

You sure you weren't playing the demo?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Strider2K99 said:
I thought it had online mp as well.

Nope, only local.

PAIN is a lot of fun though...and I agree, not sure how long it will last, but still fun regardless. I'm glad I bought it.

methane47

tanod said:
I thought that all along they had online MP in the game. WTF? There's no music either?!

I KEPT asking if online mp was there... some gaffers seemed to assume so.. but with each time the question was answered on the blog.. it was done in a very stealthy way that seemed to cover up the fact that there was no online multiplayer...

deep down inside I knew that there wouldn't be any... and Sony has not let me down...

I was really hoping for this game to be implemented better.. but like much of the content in Sony's repertoire ... its only half done

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I had a class from 6:15 to 9:00 and ever since I've gotten back my roommate has been watching basketball so I can't get a chance to play PAIN. Jesus christ is this shit annoying. What a worthless sport and way to spend all your evening and night.

Jim

WTF... so Sony updated the Pain Fact Sheet on the press center, literally a few hours ago.

Here's part of the old FS. Guess which parts are now missing...

Features:

Dozens of ways to play - over 9 different ways to play single player alone, including modes like Spank the Monkey and Mime Toss. With multiplayer modes like HORSE and online competition, PAIN provides both the challenges and the replayability gamers are searching for.

Completely Interactive Gameplay Environment - regardless of what the player does within the PAIN thematic, the overall environment remains completely dynamic and fully destructible, waiting for the player to find new ways to create chaos, comedy or simply wait to see what happens next.

Each time a player launches into the PAINful environment, the physics and animation data is stored on PS3's HDD allowing the player to view a replay instantly. With control over various camera angles and the replay speed - slow motion and fast forward - users can edit and re-record each bruising launch.

Unique physics model created on Havok powered events, allow for amazing ragdoll animations, while insuring that duplicating incidents is almost impossible. Keeping gameplay fresh over and over no matter how many times a player is launched into the same environment.

Available exclusively via the PLAYSTATION Network, PAIN will have a robust online community feature set that will include: head-to- head and cooperative gameplay, leaderboards, the ability to upload and download user generated replays, and contests.

With PAIN's modular backbone, the game is made to expand. More characters, more themes, more gameplay modes and most importantly more PAINful fun!

Oh well, I hope they patch the online stuff in... and soon... and for free.

And what's up with the "Community" just bringing up a broken version of the PAIN site. The damn videos don't even work on the PS3 browser. And the "Error getting content" extra characters (which seem like Holiday themed unlockables). How they hell does this stuff get through QA?

Methinks it wasn't ready so they pushed out whatever stable version they had.

What's left of the game IS fun tho.

Baker

Banned
Core407 said:
You sure you weren't playing the demo?

I better not have been because I paid $9.99 for it.

As for Jim's awesomely fabricated press release, I don't think you can save replays anymore either.

Everyday Shooter is brutal hard.

I didn't think I would be this rusty after not playing SSHD for a few months, but fuck. I get to the 5th level and fail 80% through every time.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Jim said:
WTF... so Sony updated the Pain Fact Sheet on the press center, literally a few hours ago.

Here's part of the old FS. Guess which parts are now missing...

Oh well, I hope they patch the online stuff in... and soon... and for free.

And what's up with the "Community" just bringing up a broken version of the PAIN site. The damn videos don't even work on the PS3 browser. And the "Error getting content" extra characters (which seem like Holiday themed unlockables). How they hell does this stuff get through QA?

Methinks it wasn't ready so they pushed out whatever stable version they had.

What's left of the game IS fun tho.

I really don't understand this...they've worked on the game for such a long time, and to just push it out like that doesn't sound right to me. But it does feel a bit "hollowed" out.

Perhaps it was gutted because it's going to be somehow integrated to Home (it has the trophies and badges still, after all). Other then that, why feel pressured to release the game when it's not ready?

This doesn't sound like the PSN I'm used to. :(

Oh, and if there was ONE GAME to actually benefit from the screenshot function...it's this. And it's not in here. Gah.

bryehn

chubigans said:
Oh, and if there was ONE GAME to actually benefit from the screenshot function...it's this. And it's not in here. Gah.

80xpgud.jpg

I was really hoping to get some kind of combo for doing that, it was the first thing I tried after learning to grab...

There's definitely room for improvement with PAIN, but it's pretty fun. I've already put a few hours on it. Really addictive, but it seems like a demo. Needs more levels and custom soundtracks.

I'd pay $30-40 for a really fleshed-out, polished version.

Top Bottom