• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Plus needed to play online!!!

Sucks that Sony had to do this, but PSN+ has me drowning in quality vita/ps3 games. I hope they can keep it up on PS4 (the webstore option is ace). I don't like the paywall, but it was either no drm or free online. They made the right choice.

(Also PS4 is $399, megaton!)

SRTtoZ

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20130612_603363.html

YosP: For network games requiring subscription or F2P games, PS+ may not be mandatory (up to the publishers).
For example, games such as Planetside 2 or DC Universe Online don't require PS+ subscription.

Amazing news if true. I've only recently started playing Planetside 2 for PC and its a cool game. I want to get my friends involved who aren't PC gamers so if they don't have to pay for PS+ to try it that's a big bonus.

PSN+ is awesome man. going to download X-Com Right now! Make sure to backup your saves too, they upgraded it to 2 gigs of space.

Will do. I had so much credit left over after preordering everything so I was looking at the 3 month plans and said fuck it, I'm all I'm for a year.

Baleoce

iblC8fhXLGmZim.gif

My GIF is now irrelevant..

mgs3-vita-platinum.png

/godspeed

No there is not. I have a tiny flat, and PC takes a lot of space, and i don´t know much about PC gaming or drivers etc.. I play on consoles for convenience period. The WiiU is out of the question. There is no way i will buy current gen console, without a proper account and 99% of third party support. I should not have to pay for internet twice. I already pay for the damned thing.

I highly doubt Sony or even Microsoft will charge you whatever your Internet provider charges you which is likely around the $40 per MONTH at the lowest for a single person

I do agree that if you bought a game for $60 or whatever price, the game is yours to do with as you please with some exceptions. However, online services is a murky gray area that not many publishers have come forward with.

They take care of servers and other online things needed to make online gaming work but they never specify cost and stuff.

Sony did this without charging for PS3. But now its become a different ball game.

Gamers such as you and a lot of others believe that paying that $60 or something dollars should let us enjoy MP and Single player both and DLC for the extra stuff. Now it seems like its single player only unless you have PSN+ or Gold to do online MP.

Sony probably looked at Microsoft and said if they could get away with 40 million subscribers, we could do the same. So thats probably how this came to be a policy.

If your choice limits you, then pick the lesser of the evils, whichever it might be in your eyes.

Ashes

Banned
They're a dumb fucking business, if it was costing them tons of money for millions of games sessions per day worldwide, and they let it slide for 7 straight years.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that they're not a dumb fucking business, and that they want to do this, not to negate losses, but to get that xblive gold money pile.

Anyways, these arguments don't explain why multi-player is free on most platforms out there.

#noPS+required

Who's on board for the movement? IF we can hash tag the fuck out of no DRM we can do this. We should not underestimate our power as consumers. I loved the PS3 for its region free software. Its free online service was a great move imo. It was apart of the reason I decided to go PS3 instead of 360. Although the 360 provided a greater online experience, I never regretted my choice. PS+ just served to sweeten the deal. Now it's required? Sony, please stop this madness. You have an overwhelming number of gamers looking to the PS4 instead of the Xbone. Don't ruin your momentum with this paid service. It's not worth it in the long run.

I with you 100% man. I can't believe it took 21 pages for someone to start this.

What is going to make this tough is that the Ps+ service is a really good deal. That's what gets me, I think Sony sold the service short here. They didn't need to paywall multiplayer to get people to sign up, they already were.

Top Bottom