• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN to limit gamesharing from five to two -Not retroactive- (Andriasang)

Teppic

Zoe said:
But one of the biggest benefits is the games can be used by any account on the activated system. What you're proposing would completely get rid of that.
Yes. This is better than Steam.

Benedict

Replicant said:
Which country is your PSN? That site works for almost all PSN including some European countries. I have 3 PSN accounts: US, Australia, and Japan. All 3 are accessible through there. Recently I made a new UK account through there as well. The only PSN not represented there seems to be Hong Kong and Singapore since I can't find the option to make an account for those countries there. I remember seeing Germany and French listed there as well.

Sweden.

Zoe

FlashFlooder said:
They *are* separate systems. I can definitely see why it would bother some.

The problem is how to deal with the content that works with both.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
FlashFlooder said:
They *are* separate systems. I can definitely see why it would bother some.
You can go ahead and plan on being disappointed with the PS4 too, since it will almost certainly share activations with the PS3. I thought most people expected this already.

Well, maybe not you, but people who aren't happy about it in general.

WebScud

Ugh. I have three PS3s. -_-

The fact that PlayStation Plus save "syncing" was only between Sony's server and one console, not console to server to console was painful enough.

test_account

XP-39C²
Does anyone knows how the activation/decactivation process will work through a PC? Is it possible to disable this somehow? It is kinda more secure if it can only be done through the PS3 itself (although it is good that it excist through PC in case the console dies). If someone gets a hold of the username/password, then they would need to have physical access to the PS3 as well.

Zoe

wilflare said:
hmm.. i always thought we could deactivate PS3s from online.
just log on your account on the qriocity website

It only told you the # of systems and if you named them. If you tried to deactivate, it would instruct you to do it through the system.

androvsky

test_account said:
Does anyone knows how the activation/decactivation process will work through a PC? Is it possible to disable this somehow? It is kinda more secure if it can only be done through the PS3 itself (although it is good that it excist through PC in case the console dies). If someone gets a hold of the username/password, then they would need to have physical access to the PS3 as well.

No specifics yet, but I'd imagine there would be an email confirmation or something similar required.

RuGalz

Not really happy with this change because it's less convenient, but it won't be a deal breaker as long as there's no 24hr lock out or some crap before registration change can take effect.

As long as I can easily change activation when I turn on my PS3 I'm okay with it since I periodically move between more than 2 PS3s. If there's any kind of restriction, I guess I will reconsider future product purchases.

GraveRobberX said:
I know a lot of people game shared Payday The Heist, @$20, most people on my friends list split it 2-4 people.
So there you go
well you can certainly thank those chaps (among alot of other PSN users as well) for being the reason why sony is taking this route that they did....

JJD

This was inevitable...game sharing was reaching absurd proportions. There were people selling PSN games on ebay like sites here on Latin America. They would sell 5 copies of the game, create another account, buy it again sell to 5 other people and so on...

Gaming forums had whole sections dedicated to creating game sharing groups...

mooooose

I gameshared for cash with some friends. Their PS3s died so I'm happy about the account deactivation site but it does suck because it was a great way for me to get my RB DLC paid for hahaha.

Desmond

Account > second from bottom option

3AQmK.gif

Excellent, thanks

krae_man

That site has been around for over a year. You can't deactivate PS3's or PSP's online yet.

Edit: Never mind, saw your reply. Why is "deactivate all" the only option?

You are about to deactivate all devices on your account for game media.

This action can be performed only once every 6 months.
To play games that were previously downloaded, you will need to activate a device from the [Account Management] menu on the device.

Are you sure you want to continue?

DonMigs85

Gotta ask in this thread. So I cleared all the activations from my account. Up to 5 people can still activate their consoles, correct? But if I were to buy a game now, only the first 2 people to download and activate it get to use that particular game?

krae_man

Yeah I noticed you need to go into the account instead of devices. Still don't understand why deactivating all is the only option.

Takao

Banned
Weirdly, I could only de-activate the Games, and not the Video. As well, once I de-activated all of them, and re-activated my working devices, they didn't show as activated on the site. I guess that's just a time lapse issue or something.

Murkas

Just deactivated all my game shares, nice to get 2 used ones back! (those PS3s died)

Weirdly, I could only de-activate the Games, and not the Video. As well, once I de-activated all of them, and re-activated my working devices, they didn't show as activated on the site. I guess that's just a time lapse issue or something.

It did for me, I deactivated them all, went onto my PS3 and reactivated it and when I logged back into the site it said I only had one game activation.

It did say I have used all my video activations though, is 1 the maximum number of video activations?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
We really need someone that understands everything to make a new thread outlining how to do it and what will happen after you do clear the slots. Things like,

"I currently have 5 activations and want to clear them and reactivate only 3 PS3's, will I still be able to access all of my old content on all 3 of those PS3's? Which 2 PS3's will be able to access the new content?"

This is the only reason I haven't done it yet since I don't know the answer to these questions.

Raistlin

I would have preferred something like 3 systems per game, but I realize I'm hardly a normal case. For most people 2 should be good* - particularly since they're bringing out web management for activation. I don't know whether to say good job or it's about fucking time ... but whatever, it's a very welcome update.

* I apologize if this has been answered somewhere in the thread, but it wasn't detailed in the OP - how are titles that run on both PS3 and PSP (and later, Vita) handled?

For example, let's say you have a game that runs on portable and console ... do you then technically have 4 activations? 2 for console, 2 for portable? If it's 2 total, then this will be SEVERELY limiting.

As a matter of fact, if they don't separate PSP from Vita ... and later, PS3 from PS4 ... even that would be severely limiting.

how are titles that run on both PS3 and PSP (and later, Vita) handled?

Content has two console and two portable activations, which are separate from each other. If the content only works on one or the other it effectively has two total activations; if it works on both it has four total.

As a matter of fact, if they don't separate PSP from Vita ... and later, PS3 from PS4 ... even that would be severely limiting.

I agree.

AndyD

aka andydumi
We really need someone that understands everything to make a new thread outlining how to do it and what will happen after you do clear the slots. Things like,

"I currently have 5 activations and want to clear them and reactivate only 3 PS3's, will I still be able to access all of my old content on all 3 of those PS3's? Which 2 PS3's will be able to access the new content?"

This is the only reason I haven't done it yet since I don't know the answer to these questions.

I think I have a side account we could test this on. I made an account for someone else to use outside of the US. Let me track it down and we can test it out by buying a $.99 item or something.

I agree. Change in generation should mean additional devices. Vita and PSP are not the same as PSP and PSP Go for example.

lucius

Cool just deactivated all systems on my old account, I had a long talk with Sony a couple years ago after I had 2 systems die on me and had game shared like 3 small games when that thread on Gaf first appeared and they wouldn't deactivate my systems. I kept telling them how Apple let you do this but they kept giving me BS, now finally have access to me old stuff.

DonMigs85

I think I have a side account we could test this on. I made an account for someone else to use outside of the US. Let me track it down and we can test it out by buying a $.99 item or something.
Great. You could get that $.99 Elemental Monster card game then have at least 3 or 4 people see if they can activate the account. Does it also have older purchases? Just to see if you really can still activate older stuff on more than 2 consoles.

Raistlin

Content has two console and two portable activations, which are separate from each other. If the content only works on one or the other it effectively has two total activations; if it works on both it has four total.
Thanks for the clarification. Glad to hear they aren't being too draconian.

I agree. Change in generation should mean additional devices. Vita and PSP are not the same as PSP and PSP Go for example.
Let's hope that when the time comes, there's enough of an outcry that they reexamine how they handle activations for different generations of the same HW class.

dralla

so when you deactivate a system, do you get those downloads back? i had a dead PS3 and could not deac it, I just used the site and essentially reset everything, can I now download my games 5 times all over again?

lucius

so when you deactivate a system, do you get those downloads back? i had a dead PS3 and could not deac it, I just used the site and essentially reset everything, can I now download my games 5 times all over again?

No now you have only 2 activations so 2 times but at least you should have access to all your old stuff. I am downloading my old stuff on my newer slim now.

So I had 2 PSP's ,but never deactivated them so there is no way to reset psp activations?

Dreamer RD

Is it safe to deactivate through that qriocity site? And what will happen to games that friends downloaded from my account? They stop working?

Top Bottom