• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN to limit gamesharing from five to two -Not retroactive- (Andriasang)

Samus4145 said:
If activating/deactivating gets some 24 hour lock I will flip.

Good point ..this need to be done as soon as you activate or else ..this would be a seriosu set back . I understand the lock for the cloud saves (on a technical perspective ).. but not with accounts

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
It sorta sounds like the content purchased before Nov 18th will have separate activation slots from content purchased after Nov 18th.

5lwT7.jpg

Vita will also use up a PSP slot.

BiR65.jpg

The new website will allow you to deactivate dead consoles.

3mESj.jpg

gibration

This sucks because my PS3 has frozen a couple of times in the past and has led me to have to reactivate the whole system in that same account without being able to deactivate the one I was just in. I have all 5 devices filled up because of this very reason which is complete bullshit.

Qwell

see5harp said:
Dude why do you own 3 ps3's and 3 psps? That absolutely ridiculous. Do you live with your two brothers and all like to play the same PSN games at the same time?
I'm also in the boat of getting screwed by this, I have 3 PS3's in my house, I use them as my streaming device so I can watch netflix and files from my server anywhere. They really need to add some option where you can play a game, regardless of "activation" if you signed into the purchasing PSN account.

I've bought over 100 games on PSN and I can say if they don't change this I won't really be buying games too much anymore.

It would be nice if people could purchase extra licenses somehow, for a fraction of the price. But then it would be exploitable aswell...

The only problem I see is having two PS3s and a Vita or PSP. It seems like Sony is punishing their biggest fans.

Do PSPs/Vitas take up one of the shared systems?

Miburou

MrPliskin said:
I fucking hate this nonsensical bullshit. Same stuff pirates use to justify their "theft".

So you're saying that if a pirate suddenly was unable to pirate games anymore, he or should would be buying the same amount of games as they previously were pirating?

Killthee

shouamabane said:
The only problem I see is having two PS3s and a Vita or PSP. It seems like Sony is punishing their biggest fans.

Do PSPs/Vitas take up one of the shared systems?
You get 2 PS3 slots and 2 Portable slots (PSP/Vita).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why are people bitching so much about "investing so much in buying stuff on PSN and then this happens" if it isn't retroactive?

Having 3 PS3's is odd, but I won't say it's improbable.

Jomjom

Banned
Wait what?? Is that second post by the Sony rep saying that DLC will still be shareable? What does "playing content that is available on PSN" mean? DLC can be played and is from PSN. I don't understand what she means that this will not affect disc-based games. Of course there's no limit for disc-based games. You can play it on an infinite number of systems as long as you have the disc...

Coxy

every ps3 has a unique id ciode you can use to register it to your account on the playstation website. is there any reason why you cant use that to register your ps3s and go these are my ps3s let me use my shit on them?

Killthee

jling84 said:
Wait what?? Is that second post by the Sony rep saying that DLC will still be shareable? What does "playing content that is available on PSN" mean? DLC can be played and is from PSN. I don't understand what she means that this will not affect disc-based games.
The post she was responding to was talking about cloud save games and the inability of using them in different consoles in the future because of the change. She was correcting him and telling him that only certain content (games/dlc/etc...) from the store uses activation slots, game saves and retail games aren't affected by this.

Here's the original question: "This is kind of a bummer, especially with the excellent cloud saving for save games. I was able to play through a good chunk of House of the Dead at my best friend’s house, and then access my save data back home. Now if I want to do that I’ll have to deactivate my account from my brother’s system?

Question: where is the Vita going to fit into this? Is it going to hog our PSP/PSPgo slots, or will it get its own number of activations as well?"

ThirstyFly said:
So I can finally deactivate my two dead fat PS3s that Sony refused to? OH HAPPY DAY!

When I called them about deactivating my old system (dead), they told me that it was a one time thing only. And that b/c I still had one more activation under my belt that I should wait until I reached the max and then call.

Hopefully this site will let me deactivate it.

Killthee said:
It sorta sounds like the content purchased before Nov 18th will have separate activation slots from content purchased after Nov 18th.

http://i.imgur.com/5lwT7.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/BiR65.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/3mESj.jpg

Oh happy day!

Killthee said:
The post she was responding to was talking about cloud save games and the inability of using them in different consoles in the future because of the change. She was correcting him and telling him that only certain content (games/dlc/etc...) from the store uses activation slots, game saves and retail games aren't affected by this.

Here's the original question: "This is kind of a bummer, especially with the excellent cloud saving for save games. I was able to play through a good chunk of House of the Dead at my best friend’s house, and then access my save data back home. Now if I want to do that I’ll have to deactivate my account from my brother’s system?

Question: where is the Vita going to fit into this? Is it going to hog our PSP/PSPgo slots, or will it get its own number of activations as well?"

The bolded is the answer.

BiR65.jpg

Wait...this pic is from your own post....

huh?

Petrie said:
If you can't use your games on more than 2 systems, it kinda defeats the whole point of the cloud saving PS+ added, at least for non-disk releases.

The real use of cloud saving is to have your saves safe if your console got broken-stolen.

Also, if you have already 2 ps3 in your home in another one in your beach house, when you go to holidays you can cancel one of the PS3 of your home and activate the one in your beach house, for example.

Zoe

Coxy said:
every ps3 has a unique id ciode you can use to register it to your account on the playstation website. is there any reason why you cant use that to register your ps3s and go these are my ps3s let me use my shit on them?

That still wouldn't stop the kind of game sharing they're trying to stop. Only a smaller limit can really discourage it.

Killthee

Infinite Justice said:
The bolded is the answer.

http://i.imgur.com/BiR65.jpg[/IG]

Wait...this pic is from your own post....

huh?[/QUOTE]
I was posting the original question to that reply because jling84 was confused by the answer.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Okay, they fucked up and will need to change the system rules. Right now PSP and PS Vita are in the same category, you can only have a combined amount of two.

That's like saying when the PS4 comes out that you will need to take off one of your two PS3's to make room for it.

Zoe

Trojita said:
Okay, they fucked up and will need to change the system rules. Right now PSP and PS Vita are in the same category, you can only have a combined amount of two.

That's like saying when the PS4 comes out that you will need to take off one of your two PS3's to make room for it.

If the systems are backwards compatible, how else are they supposed to do it?

I'm ... quite okay with this. Good show, Sony! The 5 activations were primarily for the purpose of the "in case my PS3 breaks" scenario. The new method of deactivation is vastly superior, and provides for an unlimited amount of broken consoles, instead of just 5. I'm glad they will still at least allow 2 activations, since some people do have 2 PS3s in-house. I don't know how many people actually have more than 2 PS3s in the same household, but I wouldn't imagine there are many.

Only 2 "portable" slots is terribad, I really hope this doesn't mean there will only be 2 console slots for when ps4 comes out.

Zoe

DoomXploder7 said:
Only 2 "portable" slots is terribad, I really hope this doesn't mean there will only be 2 console slots for when ps4 comes out.

How many portables do you expect to be using concurrently?

Some of you are acting as if selecting a system is permanent.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, I'm not pleased about PSP and Vita being under the same umbrella. It's only going to get worse once Suite launches. How many activations are we gonna get for those given content can be played on Vita, Phones, Tablets, and Media players?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Zoe said:
If the systems are backwards compatible, how else are they supposed to do it?

If. But Vita is supposedly not compatible with everything day 1. And PS3s day one were compatible, but what about now?

It all depends on how easy it is to remotely activate/deactivate. If I have to go to a PC or have to deactivate from one device before activating on another all the time, its a terrible system. Especially if Suite systems count as PSPs.

Theonik

The Vita not getting its own activations part is so much BS... What will happen when PS4 comes out then? We have to use our second activation on that? Total BS...
Seems like you got your way Sony/PSN devs! Not buying anything on PSN post Nov 18!
*Or until this is fixed.

Zoe said:

I'm more displeased at the precedent it seems to set for the future, I wasn't acting like it was permanent or anything but i expected vita and psp to have different allocations, thats all.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Wario64 said:
Anyone actually think PSN sales will go down because of this change?

All those non-advertised games will suffer, which there are a fuck-ton

I mean Sony & PSN doesn't really shine in that department

I mean most games don't have demos, so if group bought (game sharing wise) it wasn't that much of money wasted and you didn't take a huge hit

I know a lot of people game shared Payday The Heist, @$20, most people on my friends list split it 2-4 people.
So there you go

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
It isn't gamesharing.

It's called me being able to redownload my games after my fucking PS3 breaks.

And this shit happens fairly often now that I'm in the cycle of refurbished models that I pay for from their service department.

Fuck you Sony.

edit: Oh, deactivating broken systems is actually a thing now. I guess that's good. I just need to know that my Rock Band DLC is safe.

Zoe

Toki767 said:
I feel sorry for the girl on the blog. She pretty much had to repeat herself 28 times so far.

Just look at how many people in this thread didn't see the part about deactivations.

Wario64 said:
Anyone actually think PSN sales will go down because of this change?
That's an interesting take. I'm assuming you're thinking of a scenario where a group of people each buy their share of games, and share with each other? E.g., 5 friends buy 3 games each, so each person effectively ends up with 15 games. But with the new restriction, those 5 people may not buy as many games?

I don't doubt there are people who milk the system that way, but even if there are cases like that, there will also be those who actually buy more games, as a result. If a person, who usually relies on game-sharing groups, wants certain games, he'll have to pay for it, if he doesn't have anyone to share it with him.

I honestly doubt it will have much an effect on sales. Like I said above, the people who buy less will be countered by the people who will have to buy more. And I think the amount of people who gameshare are likely a very small percentage of total PSN users. Of course, many Gaffers would fall into that small percentage, so opinions here are likely skewed.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Toki767 said:
I feel sorry for the girl on the blog. She pretty much had to repeat herself 28 times so far.

They should have posted this the other way. First say "we have new deactivation method coming" and answer all those questions. Then say we are changing to 2 activations. Then people could have focused on each independently. Even now, we have a date for the limitation but the deactivation site is listed as "coming soon" which for sony could be next week or next year.

Degen

Zoe said:
Just look at how many people in this thread didn't see the part about deactivations.
Too long of a word; didn't read

But seriously, this process should've been in the customer's control from the beginning. I luckily never experienced the problem of exceeding the maximum number of account activations allowed, but it seemed like it would've been a hassle.

I did actually get to five activations (or so Qriocity.com said), though I admit that three are activated just so I can log in at friends' houses. Another was a downed 40gb unit. Limiting the number to two will work just fine for me.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm glad about being able to deactivate devices through the website since my cousin's first PS3 when toast and ate up one of my activations. Now I have to decide if my cousin or my brother gets my second activation since I only shared with those two right now. :(

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Fuzzy said:
I'm glad about being able to deactivate devices through the website since my cousin's first PS3 when toast and ate up one of my activations. Now I have to decide if my cousin or my brother gets my second activation since I only shared with those two right now. :(

Blood Thicker than Water...

Well cousin is too, so hmm... Duel I say, winner gets it!, can do a Triple Threat Throwdown if I get involved, and someone else joins in for a Four Way Fiesta

LuchaShaq

Banned
Honestly this will probably make me buy MORE psn games. Knowing so many gamesharing groups just made me feel like such a sucker when I was going in at full price.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The activation management, as long as it's not some ridiculous or limited process, is the big news here in my opinion.

Can't imagine there is a significant amount of people that really need more than 2 PS3s or PSPs(/Vitas) activated at the same time.

How is this compared with XBL or Steam? Please, fix if it's wrong:

Steam only allow 1 active account. You can have offline mode, I suppose that with PS3 will happen the same, if you deactivate a console, but that console is not online, no problem.

XBL only allow 1 active account (but you can have it in 2 because a game is playable in the console that you downloaded the game and also in another one console with your gamertag if you are online). You can change the "active console" once each year.

We still have to see how the activation-deactivation works. If it's without limit of times, it's no problem for any regular PS3 user, even if he has several PS3 in different houses (or even in the same house). Assuming that the 3, 4 or 5 PS3 won't be active and online at the same time, you could deactivate a console and activate the one that you want to use with the same web browser of the console. People won't be using everyday different consoles to play games (also, yo can keep always active the one that you use more to play, to prevent losing time each time that you want to play).

Dambrosi

Banned
Oddly for me, I don't mind this change at all. It's a nice compromise, I think, especially with it not being retroactive (a tacit admission that nobody who did gamesharing in the past did anything wrong) and with the new online deactivation system.

At least they gave us some warning this time.

Killthee said:

5lwT7.jpg

BiR65.jpg

3mESj.jpg
I was *just* about to ask about the same thing, but this pretty much cleared things up. I mean I'm sad about losing 5 shares, and I should be more upset about this, but having remote deactivations, as well as the 2 new activations being counted after the 18th kinda makes up for it.

Top Bottom