• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN to limit gamesharing from five to two -Not retroactive- (Andriasang)

jkoch

People will be annoyed because it's what they've got use to, but in the reality of things, this is a good move. Online activation management has been needed since day 1. With previous content remaining at 5 activations as well entitled game sharers have less to complain about.

Entitled game sharers? It was advertised as a feature since the beginning and Sony confirmed that it was working as intended when they were pressed on it.

Great that they are finally clamping down on game sharing.

2 activation's seems pretty reasonable to me. Anyone who owns 2 ps3's in there house or has another family member or something who has a console they play on regulatory shouldn't have a problem with it.

Someone somewhere is totally gonna try start a class action though. "Sony said it was ok for me to steal all those games. THEY ARE TAKING AWAY MY RIGHTS TO ABUSE THERE SYSTEM"

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Oh well, more expensive PSN games for me then.

AndyD

aka andydumi
jkoch said:
Entitled game sharers? It was advertised as a feature since the beginning and Sony confirmed that it was working as intended when they were pressed on it.

Yep.

They said sharing was by design, as they wanted games in as many hands as possible. I guess the idea was exactly that, share with your friends, and they share back and so forth to gain exposure to games you otherwise might not try/buy/know of.

The unintended consequence was mass sharing with unknown people.

Unfortunately once again this affects legitimate users. Much like many other DRM schemes.

Ideally they should split it by game not by account if they want sharing with close friends, like giving a guest pass to your friend which works for a week or so. And limit to 5 guest passes per game you buy.

Yanksfan

With all the cry of 'good for developers', I really hope those same people don't buy any games used or sell their games afterwards. I am just waiting to see the people that start to post saying they refuse to buy any game for less than the full MSRP. Anything less to the developers would surely mean you weren't a good gamer, after all.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
E-phonk said:
What if my console breaks Sony?

Edit: ok, this quote helps a lot, should've read better:

yeah this helps alot with most problems.

I'm ok with this, sharing was a bit OP lol.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I hope at least 1 dev comes out with before and after numbers on sales or someone does some research on the impact of this.

I don't know how bad it was, but it still doesn't seem as big a deal as some people are making it out to be? Maybe I've been swayed too much over by Valve.

Zoe

Hazaro said:
I hope at least 1 dev comes out with before and after numbers on sales or someone does some research on the impact of this.

I don't know how bad it was, but it still doesn't seem as big a deal as some people are making it out to be? Maybe I've been swayed too much over by Valve.

*paging PixelJunk*

lupinko

Can London Studio fix their shitty Singstar DRM for me? I have my CA and AU songs on my comatose NTSCJ 60GB Fatty. =(

Skeksis

Hazaro said:

Not entirely what you asked for, but tangentially related: didn't Sidhe's Mario (or maybe it was Dylan from PixelJunk?) post an estimation on the breadth of game sharing based on leaderboard scores vs actual sales?

Edit: Yes he did: "If you want an "actual" number based on data across multiple games, the number of users for any given game who obtained that game via gamesharing is ~20%."

Gvaz

Banned
Most of the people doing the gamesharing would never have bought half these games in the first place, so I can't see this helping them.

Well, remote account management will be nice, but for our family, the right to use a game on 5 active systems was the great seducer for PSN content - we have five PSPs, and letting anyone play any game at any time - even if three or four of us are playing a game at the same time - was the primary mover behind our acquisition of a PSN PSP library of more than 70 games... Reducing it to two will see me buy a lot more physical copies of headlining titles, though I guess two licenses will suffice for most of the PSX stuff and minis...

carlos

Skeksis said:
Didn't Sidhe's Mario (or maybe it was Dylan from PixelJunk?) post an estimation on the breadth of game sharing based on leaderboard scores vs actual sales?

Edit: Yes he did: "If you want an "actual" number based on data across multiple games, the number of users for any given game who obtained that game via gamesharing is ~20%."

Whatever method they used to arrive at that 20% figure is at least partial BS, doubtful they can tell when a game is used by multiple people on the same ps3.

Case in point, all my pixeljunk games have been played by at least 6 people on the same ps3 but by different user accounts. So that's one sale, but 6 people on the leaderboards (with no "gamesharing")

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'd bitch more about this if my PSP-2000 was still working and I'd need more than 2, but it's still rather silly to do this with portable systems especially.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Skeksis said:
Not entirely what you asked for, but tangentially related: didn't Sidhe's Mario (or maybe it was Dylan from PixelJunk?) post an estimation on the breadth of game sharing based on leaderboard scores vs actual sales?

Hmm, that seems higher than I expected. I wonder how many of those are lost sales since it is a higher profile game?
I'm more interested in some of the smaller titles that people may not have bought at all at a $5/$10 price point since entry cost would be lowered to $1/$2. Maybe I'm naive about it and people only want to buy the good games at less cost.

Skeksis

Actually, the leaderboard thing was me misremembering: Mario doesn't actually specify how he arrived at the figure. Perhaps they can differentiate between game shares and multiple users on a single machine?

androvsky

Hazaro said:
Hmm, that seems higher than I expected. I wonder how many of those are lost sales since it is a higher profile game?
I'm more interested in some of the smaller titles that people may not have bought at all at a $5/$10 price point since entry cost would be lowered to $1/$2. Maybe I'm naive about it and people only want to buy the good games at less cost.
It's across multiple games, so it's probably a number Sony came up with.

Coxy

what a fucking shitty move, I have 3 ps3s so this is going to seriously put me off buying anything from PSN in future

something tells me a move this ill concieved could only have come about under pressure from someone like capcom :p

Skeksis

Was the Jack Tretton quote the only example of Sony "condoning" game sharing? I'll happily be corrected, but I can't find any other mention of it, and as far as I can tell it was never a bullet-point on the box, or in any press release, or in any advertising literature. In fact, didn't the EULA quite specifically condemn it?

JWong

Banned
I uuhhh wonder what's going to stop people from "renting" PSN games out.

Let someone play for like a week, deactivate, find a new person to shell out money, let them "rent" it. I'm sure something is in place.

Also, I wonder if they're cleaning the slate and everyone just starts fresh with one free activation.

MrPliskin

Banned
Gvaz said:
Most of the people doing the gamesharing would never have bought half these games in the first place, so I can't see this helping them.
I fucking hate this nonsensical bullshit. Same stuff pirates use to justify their "theft".

Quote:
Sony will be opening a PlayStation Network account management website, and you'll now be able to handle your rights there.

Freaking finally!!

Coxy said:
what a fucking shitty move, I have 3 ps3s so this is going to seriously put me off buying anything from PSN in future

something tells me a move this ill concieved could only have come about under pressure from someone like capcom :p
Yep. Now I'm questioning resubscribing to PSN+.

Gvaz

Banned
MrPliskin said:
I fucking hate this nonsensical bullshit. Same stuff pirates use to justify their "theft".
Uh, you're getting a game where the cost of the game was prohibitive to that person, and they have a chance to get the game for cheaper they otherwise would not have bothered with. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. Now it's limited to two consoles total.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
jkoch said:

Fairly confident that the PSN Store DRM (5 copies to YOUR activated PS3s) was never supposed to be marketed as "Game sharing" - something this news would only seem to validate

Degen

jstevenson said:
Fairly that the PSN Store DRM (5 copies to YOUR activated PS3s) was never supposed to be marketed as "Game sharing" - something this news would only seem to validate
The PS3's ToS did a pretty good job of validating that too, in my opinion

Theonik

Better give us an online de-activator then... Or a restore...
Edit: Nevermind they are doing that, reading failure on my part. I'd still rather have 3.
Edit2: How does that affect Vita? Do PSP downloads on Vita count as a PSP activation or Vita activation? PS1 games?

Gvaz

Banned
sublimit said:
But what about the other half?
I'm making a popular generalization that because you could share your games this way, people had more of an incentive to go through with this model. Now they can't do this, and as such are less likely to buy the game like normal.

see5harp

I do think it's a good idea as the way that they set up the whole DRM system is pretty silly when you think about it. Remote deactivation is awesome.

jstevenson said:
Fairly that the PSN Store DRM (5 copies to YOUR activated PS3s) was never supposed to be marketed as "Game sharing" - something this news would only seem to validate

It isn't personal units Jack Tretton said 4 other friends. Here is his full quote:

"You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment, We want to get the game in as many hands as possible. It’s not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer, I think that really offsets the argument that says, ‘Wow, that’s a really pricey system.’”

PJFJosh

Well I own, and use, 3 ps3's in my house, basement, living room and bedroom. So now I have to make a choice going forward as to where I want to put anything I purchase on the PSN or I have to buy it twice? Really don't appreciate this move.

Guess I better buy anything I want active on all three before the deadline. =(
Everything that comes after.... I don't know what I'm going to do.

krae_man

duckroll said:
I agree that 3 would be a better buffer. I don't even think reducing it is a good idea for consumers (obviously there are reasons why they're doing it which will benefit them, and decrease the rampant level of gamesharing taking place), but what I'm really happy about is that they're finally crawling out of the dark ages and allowing activations to be managed online.

I'm not holding my breath on deactivating broken systems. I'm bet we don't get the activations back until the system we deactivated connects to the internet.

Can't have people still taking advantage of this system staying offline.

lupinko

jstevenson said:

Yep, this is no different than Apple's iTunes account 5 limit Activations as well.

Gamers just got greedy. lol

I don't gameshare, but I do own multiple psps, and will own a vita in the future. I hope that vita is in a separate activation category. That won't be too bad.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
OldJadedGamer said:
It isn't personal units Jack Tretton said 4 other friends. Here is his full quote:

"You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment, We want to get the game in as many hands as possible. It’s not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer, I think that really offsets the argument that says, ‘Wow, that’s a really pricey system.’”

Nothing you are saying contradicts my comments

It was only a matter of time I suppose.

Oh well, Sony's loss. Probably more than half the time I bought PSN games was with the knowledge I'd be able to share it with my friend. I would not be surprised if this resulted in less games being bought over all (probably no real good way to track that though.)

Top Bottom