• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN to limit gamesharing from five to two -Not retroactive- (Andriasang)

i guess i will have to move as much content as possible from my PSP to my PC through the mediago software and then once i deactivate the PSP, activate my Vita and move the content onto it.

kind of a pain, but whatevs. i was actually hoping to just put my PSP toward the Vita and some games right before it launches.

jetsetfluken said:
A lot of these gamesharer exploit guys don't even play the games much (most trophy lists I've seen all their PSN games are at 0%-20%). They don't care about the games, they care about the novelty of getting them cheap.
Yeah I just have to wonder how much percentage of revenue was made off of people who bought games specifically because of the gamesharing.

Petrie

Banned
MTMBStudios said:
I just have to wonder how many of those people who would buy pretty much every game in a 3/4/5 person split will actually buy any of the games at all now?

This will help the best developers certainly sell more, but all the rest, I see this hurting sales.

Hex

Banned
Good.
Give people something nice, they fuck you by being greedy and trying to exploit it.
I am glad they thought ahead to a management site, because that could have been a hassle.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Dr Frasier Crane said:
No problem for me, means I can deactivate the PS3 I had stolen finally. Fantastic, never gameshared and paid for my own stuff.

Hilarity ensues on Cheapassgamer

http://i40.tinypic.com/lb21j.png[/IM G][/QUOTE]
What the...
Oh. They want to live uo to their name

How sad

Metalmurphy said:
Qriocity website, but it's not even available for all regions.

I actually thought you could deactivate the systems right now on the Qriocity website but was told by someone that it didn't work...

I thought it did because when I deactivated my other PSP through normal means (via the store), it disappeared from this list as well.

K17zu.png

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Thank goodness (and thank you Sony).

I recently tried calling up the support centre to try and deactivate some/all systems, as I recently bought a new 320 slim in Japan (looking to replace my old one back in the UK). Was met with loads of security questions and asked to provide proof of purchase for the original console (bought back in 2007...)

I understand the security concerns with something that they didn't officially deem 'A-ok' - more like something they turned a blind eye to - but still, for a paying customer to be treated like a crook is a little frustrating to say the least.

I only came across Qriocity about a year ago, and it has not proved very helpful. Will be more than happy to start from scratch with two systems, and keep better track of it this time.

Takao

Banned
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
i guess i will have to move as much content as possible from my PSP to my PC through the mediago software and then once i deactivate the PSP, activate my Vita and move the content onto it.

kind of a pain, but whatevs. i was actually hoping to just put my PSP toward the Vita and some games right before it launches.

Are you sharing content with anyone? Activations should be 2 PS3s, and 2 PSPs after the 18th.

xero273

To my knowledge, deactivation does not work on Qriocity site.. so let's hope this new site is better than that. I still think 3 activations would have been a good number but oh well.

Takao

Banned
xero273 said:
To my knowledge, deactivation does not work on Qriocity site.. so let's hope this new site is better than that.

To deactivate a PSP using Qriocity you have to plug it in via USB, and download some Sony software. That's awesome for a dead unit! <sarcasm>

Doesn't bother me since I can deactivate games easier. I have three systems in use that I shared throughout my house so a slight inconvenience but nothing big.

Volcynika

Takao said:
To deactivate a PSP using Qriocity you have to plug it in via USB, and download some Sony software. That's awesome for a dead unit! <sarcasm>

Must've missed the "bring PSP back from the dead" option!

Midou

I certainly see this as good news with the ability to deactivate, my only fear with limiting downloads is if I can use them in the future if my console dies, have too many trust issues to share them.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Like others I hope this means I can deactivate my old systems, if so then this is a good trade off for me.

RuGalz

Ugh, 2 is too few make it at least 3 sheesh... between 2 PS3 I have at home (one was YLOD and fixed) and work I that's 3 PS3s...

Only good news is you can finally manage activation through website, still lame.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
VGChampion said:
Doesn't bother me since I can deactivate games easier. I have three systems in use that I shared throughout my house so a slight inconvenience but nothing big.

Well 3 of your PS3's will have all the content available to them before November 18th, + 2 more PS3's

Only thing that will get shifted is that you will have to choose which 2 PS3's from the 18th on that you purchase content for get that content

Tiduz

Eurogaime
is this confirmed to work on broken ps3s? i have a broken launch onee with ALOT of rb dlc that got 5 activations used up... if i can get mine back that would be PERFECT cause im picking up a white ps3 next month

LosDaddie

Banned
I know some part of SonyGAF would argue otherwise (with a Tretton quote), but gamesharing always seemed like a loophole gamers exploited. Letting a game be DLed on 5 different consoles? Come on, man. :lol

I'm surprised Sony took this long. But I'm sure developers & pubs are happy.

Takao

Banned
Ken Masters said:
So when I get the Vita I have to deactivate my account on my brothers ps3? Wtf Sony

No. As it stands, on Nov. 18 you will have 4 total activations, 2 for PS3, and 2 for PSP. When Vita launches it'll either take 1 of the PSP spots, or create its own category (allowing things to be active on 6 total devices). It will not affect any PS3 activations.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Ken Masters said:
So when I get the Vita I have to deactivate my account on my brothers ps3? Wtf Sony

Ummm... no

Any content you bought/will buy BEFORE 11/18/2011 = 5 PS3 Active
AFTER 11/18/2011 = 2 PS3 Active can use content

All PSP content purchased BEFORE 11/18/2011 = 5 PSP Active
AFTER 11/18/2011 = 2 PSP Active can use content

As Vita is new, most likely, anything you buy = 2 PSP Vita's Active

Your account can be used on different devices up to 2 Active at anytime:

So 2 PS3's (5 if older content)
So 2 PSP's (5 if older content)
So 2 Vita's
So 2 PS Suite Devices (Sony Tablet S or Phone, etc.)

Jeels

Happy its not retroactive because I have the PS FFs on both my PSP and PS3 and I want to get them on my Vita eventually.

AndyD

aka andydumi
ThirstyFly said:
So I can finally deactivate my two dead fat PS3s that Sony refused to? OH HAPPY DAY!

This. I have 3 lost activations and two active PS3s in the house. I am on the brink as it is.

DonMigs85

Honestly, I'm surprised it took them this long to do this. A lot of publishers must have been complaining, plus there's a lot more full retail games available on the store now.

Why does no one read the whole thing?

I think we all knew this would come eventually, they've been basically giving away games for years now. At least everything gameshared so far will still be cool.

Being able to deactivate the 2 dead ps3's on my list will be done finally though.

Miburou

There's always been a lot of confusion over PSN sharing, and this news isn't helping.

With the current system, you activate a device on an account, which makes all current and future games linked to that account playable on that particular device. The reason why you could only activate and deactivate a PS3 from that particular PS3 is because it would check with the server and make sure the limit hasn't been reached, and then download an activation token and update the list. You could then switch accounts, or even go offline and all the games linked to that account would still work.

If you'll now be able to deactivate a PS3 from your PC, how will the PS3 know it has been deactivated? The next time you go online? Also, how will the new limit affect future games but not current ones? Will each game have a list of devices that are activate for it?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Hazaro said:
If that works out well enough then I could see it being worse for the CAG scenario. I think people owning games is an important aspect though.
I would think Sony would look for this and say "Hey, we're watching quickly deactivated accounts", bans the first few people that try, word gets out, all is back to normal.

Actually does PSN ever ban anymore?

They do. Apparently Home is a one thing they watch closely for racism and so forth and ban people. As to other stuff, I have no idea.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Miburou said:
There's always been a lot of confusion over PSN sharing, and this news isn't helping.

With the current system, you activate a device on an account, which makes all current and future games linked to that account playable on that particular device. The reason why you could only activate and deactivate a PS3 from that particular PS3 is because it would check with the server and make sure the limit hasn't been reached, and then download an activation token and update the list. You could then switch accounts, or even go offline and all the games linked to that account would still work.

If you'll now be able to deactivate a PS3 from your PC, how will the PS3 know it has been deactivated? The next time you go online? Also, how will the new limit affect future games but not current ones? Will each game have a list of devices that are activate for it?

Probably next time you go online. It could lead to a perverse method of activate, take the PS3 offline and keep playing forever, but its not likely to happen a lot.

They probably have a purchase date attached. Current activated accounts on 5 machines will work the same, I dont think they can control game by game. I think what they mean is accounts activated on machines after that date will have a limit of two activations, not 5.

What would suck is if you are activated on three machines, and you deactivate one, you may not be able to activate on a third again? That would be retroactive by account...

Respawn

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
Yep. Those "black market" sharing sites like CAG are imploding right now with people boycotting that they won't buy games on PSN again.

Well, just goes to show you they were more interested in the novelty of getting games free/cheaper than the actual games themselves. One look at a "Gamesharer"'s trophy list will tell you they have tons of PSN games that they only have 0%-20% complete.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out, guys.
yup

Shambles

So sony has time and resources to further cripple their system but you still can't fucking change a sub account to a master account. Good fucking job Sony. When's the update to disable the USB ports?

doesn't game share, just is blown away by how terrible the PSN and PS3 experience is nowadays and hates how when people want to become a master account Sony tells them to get fucked, make a new account, lose their PSN ID, trophies, and paid for content

AndyD said:
Probably next time you go online. It could lead to a perverse method of activate, take the PS3 offline and keep playing forever, but its not likely to happen a lot.

They probably have a purchase date attached. Current activated accounts on 5 machines will work the same, I dont think they can control game by game. I think what they mean is accounts activated on machines after that date will have a limit of two activations, not 5.

What would suck is if you are activated on three machines, and you deactivate one, you may not be able to activate on a third again? That would be retroactive by account...

I believe the change in activation numbers are referring to the games, not the console.

You can have that account on as many PS3s as you want (maybe), but only two will be able to play games purchased after 18/11.

Shambles said:
So sony has time and resources to further cripple their system but you still can't fucking change a sub account to a master account. Good fucking job Sony. When's the update to disable the USB ports?

doesn't game share, just is blown away by how terrible the PSN and PS3 experience is nowadays and hates how when people want to become a master account Sony tells them to get fucked, make a new account, lose their PSN ID, trophies, and paid for content

Just wondering, but why do you have a "sub account" in the first place?
Are you underage?

So let's say I'm out of the country and there's a special on PSN at that time, can I go to this psn website and buy the game and once I get home I'll be able to download it? That would be the big news here.

As far as gamesharing is concerned, I'm surprised it took them this long. People were really abusing the system. I thought they would go for 3, but 2 is understandable as long as you can deactivate your system and get your download back. 3 would be easier for those that buy ps1 games and have a ps3, psp and vita, but I guess once you buy a vita you'd get rid of a psp and once you buy a ps4 you would get rid of a ps3 (at least that's probably sony's thinking). Don't know how they will do it if they want to include tablets and phones with that though....

Nick Laslett said:
I don't have this problem with iDevices. Maybe this is the end of my PSN supporting days for PSP purchases. Sony you keep driving me into Apple's arms with your bullshit attitude to loyal customers.

Is this true? What's the DRM on idevices? I can buy it once and share it with however many idevices I want?

GraveRobberX said:
Ummm... no

AFTER 11/18/2011 = 2 PS3 Active can use content

AFTER 11/18/2011 = 2 PSP Active can use content

So 2 Vita's

is this confirmed ?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So is this legit? Because I am almost certain that for the last three years, around this time, Neogaf has a thread warning of some limitation to Gamesharing that is then debunked the following week. Edit: Nevermind, third times the charm. It's finally real.

GraveRobberX said:
Ummm... no

AFTER11/18/2011 = 2 PS3 Active can use content

AFTER11/18/2011 = 2 PSP Active can use content

So 2 Vita's
PS Suite devices share PS-Store bought content? I thought PS Suite was separate. Aka - My hopes of having a phone/tablet that could play all my PS Plus ps1/minis is squashed.

Samus4145

V_Ben said:
...Huh. This isn't great news for sites like ours. (PSNStores). We use gamesharing so that we can play multiplayer games for review, and this is going to make things tricky... We effectively have a master account, and then we redeem all our codes on there. Now we can't really do that.
Same with our site.

Miburou

AndyD said:

Yeah, that would suck. It's confusion like this that leads to outrage. Better lock down those activated machines!

Yeah, I don't think their system is all that flexible to make it on a per game basis. I mean, even the Uncharted 3 online pass can be shared and works for all accounts on each device (which actually came in handy, as I couldn't redeem my EMEA pass on my US account).

Seda

PSBlog

Upcoming Change to PlayStation 3 and PSP Game Content on PlayStation Network

+ Posted by Eric Lempel // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

We’d like to inform you of some upcoming changes to the usage policies for PlayStation Network game content. As of November 18, 2011, the number of devices that can be activated on one PlayStation Network account for game content purchased from the PlayStation Store will be updated as follows:

For game content purchased after November 18, 2011, a new policy will apply and the number of devices that can be activated will be as follows:

• PS3: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PS3 systems.
  • PSP: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PSP systems.

Please note that this update will not affect game content purchased before November 18. The PSP rights include PSP-1000/2000/3000 series as well as the PSPgo system.

PlayStation Network users are able to change the activation setting through each device, and Sony Computer Entertainment plans to provide a new PlayStation Network account management website where users will be able to deactivate particular devices attached to their PlayStation Network account via their PC.

For more details on how to activate/deactivate the devices, please visit here or contact consumer services.

AndyD

aka andydumi
OneMoreQuestion said:
I believe the change in activation numbers are referring to the games, not the console.

You can have that account on as many PS3s as you want (maybe), but only two will be able to play games purchased after 18/11.

Right, but how do you sort the 2 vs 5 grandfathered in. Here is my hypothetical:

Now you can activate 5 PS3s on an account. Your account is active on 5 right now. All 5 of those machines can play all games.

Nov 18 comes.

You buy a game with PS3 #1. Play it fine. Which of the others can play it? Whichever tries to play it second? What about the third? Its active on the account, but not on an individual game? How do you deactivate PS3 #1 from the new game, but not from the old games?

Hypothetical 2:

You have account now. Activated on 2 machines. Both can play games fine.
Nov 18 comes.
You buy games, they play on both, no issues.
You get a new Ps3 for Xmas. Can you activate a third machine for games pre-Nov 18?

I guess maybe the online management tool will show activations by machine and by game? That sounds incredibly complex.

Miburou

Sony's system was pretty generous. Accounts can work on up to 5 devices, all accounts on a PS3 can access the content, you can freely activate and deactivate systems at any time, etc.

They could've gone with the requirement that you have have to be logged in as the owner of the content to use it (like Steam, and like the 360 on any device other than the one you bought the content through), but then you wouldn't be able to get trophies for your own account. The 360 solves this through simultaneous log-ins.

Zoe

I can't say this bothers me. I have physical access to all the ones I'm sharing on, and I could ask the other people to deactivate it for me anyway.

Top Bottom